PDA

View Full Version : TPWW: PS3 or XBOX 360 (You decide what I buy)

El Fangel
09-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Ok, I am leaving this up to you people.

I had a PS3 before, and sold it as I lost interest, RfoM was very nice, GTA 4 was a disappointment, but I would like to finish it someday, I have not played MGS4, but I have heard nothing but bad things from my friends, also, I want GH: Metallica but that will cost me another $100 in Febuary. (Blu-ray is not a swing vote)

XBox 360 - Halo 1-3, Fable 1-LC-2, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Rock Band

Lots of people on here have it, and I would love to Rock Band with you people.

I dont want the RRoD

---

Give me some insite as to why you voted the way you did, and why you think I should get one system over the other.

Not sure how soon I will be able to buy though.

Bad Company
09-19-2008, 03:03 AM
Buy a PS3, it'll be worth it in the long run.
I hope you have an HDTV

El Fangel
09-19-2008, 03:08 AM
Buy a PS3, it'll be worth it in the long run.
I hope you have an HDTV

I had one before, I will get a 60GB+ if possible. I dont have a HDTV, Its good quality, but not good enough that Blu-Ray matters.

Why should I buy a PS3 again?

Bad Company
09-19-2008, 03:58 AM
Because I said so, unless you intend on buying a PS3 later, then get a 360.

Funky Fly
09-19-2008, 04:03 AM
RRoD isn't a factor on newer 360s, but from the look of things you'd be better of wit a PS3.

El Fangel
09-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Ok, So a good reason is because it is BCA (not to be confused with BDCA)

Why would I be better off Mr. Funk? Or perhaps did someone spike your drink?

D Mac
09-19-2008, 05:21 AM
360, because I have it and Rock Band 2 and will be getting GH: Metallica for it when it comes out at that's the only way you will be able to jam with me. :D

El Fangel
09-19-2008, 05:33 AM
360, because I have it and Rock Band 2 and will be getting GH: Metallica for it when it comes out at that's the only way you will be able to jam with me. :D

Ok here is how I am leaning so far

Xbox 360 ------I---------------- PS3

DS
09-19-2008, 08:13 AM
RRoD isn't a factor on newer 360s

This is not true. There is a decreased risk because the processors take less wattage but the console still creates large amounts of heat and is still prone to RRoD.

Go with a PS3. If you find a 60GB then you have the whole back catalog as well as a decent list of games out currently (including MGS4 and soon to be LittleBigPlanet). The 360 is starting to hit its upper end as well. Both Epic, who's making GoW2, and id, who had to make cuts to it's game Rage and probably have to put the game on to 2 discs. The PS3 is probably your better investment right now. Not to mention free online.

Kane Knight
09-19-2008, 09:32 AM
I always trust manufactrers of exclusive games to tell me what the potential of a system is.

Inadequacy
09-19-2008, 11:37 AM
I said 360 so we could play on live together.

I need you to spice up my video game experience.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Also, id have said that NO cuts were made to Rage on the 360s behalf.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/16/id-cuts-made-to-all-versions-of-rage-for-xbox-360s-sake/

Also, since you're talking from a purely games standpoint, I would go with the 360. I'm only going with existing games in that mental calculation because no matter how much promise a game shows, I've not had it in my hands so I will not comment.

Also, the non-exclusive games are better for whatever lead-platform they go for, things like EA Sports games are coded for 360 and ported to PS3 so you usually see better results on the 360 for those games, whereas a game like Burnout Paradise is better on the PS3.

On a side note, I managed to get a go on the PS3 Home beta on my friends PS3 and I have to say it's a pretty nifty concept. Sure, it's a re-branded Second Life in a lot of ways but as a central lobby to converse before you go away and play games, it's pretty cool.

Kane Knight
09-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Also, id have said that NO cuts were made to Rage on the 360s behalf.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/09/16/id-cuts-made-to-all-versions-of-rage-for-xbox-360s-sake/

And a similar claim to the one about Gears of War 2 was made for Gears of War.

Fanboys were saying it peaked then. How'd that work out?

Fanboys aside, I primarily voted 360 basic on volume of content and cpacity for online. There's a ton of us here at TPWW who play on live, and a huge install base, which means you can find games even if you have no friends. More titles doesn't guarantee better titles, but there is a good share of quality in with the quantity. 360 is the lead platform for most multiplat titles, which means it's got a good chance at having the better versions. This isn't true of all games; Burnout Paradise, as Hasney mentioned, comparing the demos, there's little difference. FF is another case, and the difference will likely be larger.

You still run somewhat a risk of RRoD, but the failure rate is a lot more in keeping with a typical electronic device, rather than the 30+% failure rate previously.

You'll have fun with both systems, because neither is truly bad.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-19-2008, 02:25 PM
It depends what you're into really. If you love the exclusive games 360 has, go for it. If you love the exclusive games PS3 has, go for it. It you love them both, then I guess try to figure out which ones will keep your interest the longest. Something like Little Big Planet on the PS3 (if you're into the concept) has pretty much unlimited replayability from what I've seen, because it's more or less a white board for your imagination. On the other hand, if you love playing first person shooters online, then you're probably going to want a 360.

Unfortunately, I can't name many perks of the 360 since I don't have one. I have nothing against it, it's just that there was more I wanted on the PS3. PS3 wise though, the Bluray player is slick, you can easily upgrade to higher storage space, I feel the controllers are better (100% subjective obviously). PSN has some damn good/interesting games on it for pretty cheap, and from what I've heard, Sony is really encouraging smaller developers to make stuff for it,

Although I am curious as to what your friend's disliked about MGS4. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying someone can't like the game, or god forbid someone finds faults with it, but the whole "I've heard nothing but bad things" just sort of caught me off guard. I guess I just don't see how someone cannot see some redeemable qualities in the game, if nothing else.

Funky Fly
09-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Ok, So a good reason is because it is BCA (not to be confused with BDCA)

Why would I be better off Mr. Funk? Or perhaps did someone spike your drink?

My b, I misread the bluray bit. Then by all means get a 360. The pro set is $299 right now and there are like 2546875786 games (some of which are pretty fucking good) below $40.

Extreme Angle
09-19-2008, 05:29 PM
I've had both, now only have my 360...
360 :y:

DS
09-19-2008, 06:03 PM
And a similar claim to the one about Gears of War 2 was made for Gears of War.

The Gears of War 2 statement came from Rod Fergusson, senior producer for Epic Games. In Fergusson's words: "I think we're certainly approaching the upper end of it, as far as what developers are able to do with it, but just looking at all the demos we saw today -- ours and others -- it's clear that all the games just keep improving, and keep pushing that bar."

And just because they aren't cutting anything from Rage due to the 360, doesn't mean they didn't design the game around the limitations of it. I know this is merely arguing semantics but either way. So even without the id situation, the GoW2 quote still stands solid ground.

I think that says a lot of good things about the 360 and the development on it but it's something for future buyers to think about.

Kane Knight
09-19-2008, 08:19 PM
And they made a similar statement about Gears of War. Funny how they always hype their games as though they are the top of the line...Right until next time. Similarly, MGS4 supposedly takes up most of a DL BDROM. We're reaching the limit of what a BD can hold....

....Until the next Kojima-esque game comes along at double the size and doesn't scratch that disc limit.

Hype, baby. You're living it.

Also, I love the reverse Occam's Razor there. "Just because what I said was false doesn't mean that they didn't limit it in some other way I cannot prove."

And when GeOW 3 comes out, we'll hear another upper limit quote, up until it's surpassed.

Kane Knight
09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
You notice one of the things they said about Rage being limited was due in part to loading?

And doesn't that sound like it might well be a limitation more an issue to the PS3's 2X BDROM drive?

DS
09-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Nope.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-20-2008, 04:46 AM
You notice one of the things they said about Rage being limited was due in part to loading?

And doesn't that sound like it might well be a limitation more an issue to the PS3's 2X BDROM drive?

Nah, because they can make you install it on PS3.

El Fangel
09-20-2008, 05:15 AM
I am fairly certain as of now that I am getting a 360.

El Fangel
09-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Can someone give me $400 to get a 360? I am looking at you 450 :p

#BROKEN Hasney
09-20-2008, 07:34 AM
Are you going for the Elite? If you're not afraid to get your hands a little dirty, you can get the 20gb one and switch out the HD for a 120gb one. Unless you defiantly want a black console :)

El Fangel
09-20-2008, 07:35 AM
I think I will get what I can when I have the money, I would love an Elite, or at least a Pro, I at least need it to be backwards compatible.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Yeah, you need the pro, daddy-o.

The arcade is actually backwards compatible... But only with Halo 1 and 2 :(

El Fangel
09-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Ok, well I need to play Saints Row, Halo and Halo 2, Fable: The Lost Chapters, Knights of the Old Republic, and there was one more I cant remember, Moorwind or something.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-20-2008, 08:01 AM
Saints Row is a 360 game (Underrated one in my opinion, really loved playing through that) and is the last one Morrowind (http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/morrowind_overview.htm)?

Kane Knight
09-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Nah, because they can make you install it on PS3.

Can doesn't mean they will.

Can someone give me $400 to get a 360? I am looking at you 450 :p

Start a paypal account.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-20-2008, 08:39 AM
Can doesn't mean they will.

True, but what I mean is the 2x BD-ROM doesn't have to be an issue if they don't want it to be. You know, as long as you don't mind starting the installation before you go to bed so it's ready in the morning :shifty:

Kane Knight
09-20-2008, 08:55 AM
True, but what I mean is the 2x BD-ROM doesn't have to be an issue if they don't want it to be. You know, as long as you don't mind starting the installation before you go to bed so it's ready in the morning :shifty:

:D

Yeah, but when we're talking about hypothetical limitations (You know, the bullshit DS brought up), this one seems a far more real one. I mean, we don't know that they didn't design the game with PS3's limitations in mind....

...Or, for that matter, the Martian Operating System. :D

Anyway, tons of games have been built wit hthe limitations of the PS3. Things like read speed, available memory, etc. Assassin's Creed is a game that had to make concessions for both platforms. So basically, what I'm saying is "The PS3 has clearly peaked, and it's all downhill from there."

:shifty:

DS
09-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I knew you of all people, Kane Knight, would love to argue semantics. :D The best part about you is that you're so reliable.

The 360 is a good choice, FA. You really can't go wrong with either console.

El Fangel
09-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Saints Row is a 360 game (Underrated one in my opinion, really loved playing through that) and is the last one Morrowind (http://www.elderscrolls.com/games/morrowind_overview.htm)?

Is it 360? I thought it was a Xbox game?

Start a paypal account.

I have one.

I already had a PS3 man, I Think I did go wrong with it, should have got a 360.

Kane Knight
09-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I knew you of all people, Kane Knight, would love to argue semantics. :D The best part about you is that you're so reliable.

It's not an issue of semantics, it's an issue of you saying something stupid and illogical and trying to cop out when called on it.

I suppose that's "predictable," though. Calling people who are talking bullshit on talking bullshit and all.

...Or is there a new definition of semantics in which lying is covered? :p

Sepholio
09-22-2008, 02:11 AM
Either is a good call.

360 has more games and better online (though in fairness it isn't free).

PS3 has the better hardware and is starting to get more games and has free online. I personally like the controller better as well.

If you just wanna play games regardless, go 360. I don't have one yet but plan on it. Oh and don't do that HDD upgrade someone mentioned as 360 HDD are fairly expensive proprietary devices. Just save up for the elite.

El Fangel
09-22-2008, 02:22 AM
Think im going for the 360, too many things outdo the PS3

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2008, 02:23 AM
No they're not, they're just Western Digital SATA hard drives in a stupid case. Once the case is opened, it's all standard connectors.

El Fangel
09-22-2008, 02:27 AM
I plan on the PRO or Elite

OssMan
09-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Stop being a shit head and get a Wii

El Fangel
09-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Be a shit head and get a Wii

D Mac
09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Fuck the Wii

#BROKEN Hasney
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I just finished Boom Blox and have started playing Wario Land on the Wii. There's some good games for it, but they're few and far between...

darkpower
09-25-2008, 10:56 PM
It all depends on what games that are coming down the pipeline interest you, and which system will handle the multiplatforms better.

You said you don't want the RRoD. Me either. It's still the main reason I don't have a 360 right now even though I want one myself (I have the other two next-gen systems).

I have both the Wii and the PS3 and I can safely say I don't regret any of those decisions.

I voted for the PS3 myself (did any of you think THAT would be a huge surprise?), thus, my reasons would be:

Some very good first-party support, including that MAG thing that looks interesting, LittleBigPlanet (Sony hopes, and it's a damn good bet, that it'll be a system seller), Home, Resistance 2, GT5 (FINALLY!), inFamous (from the E3 video they showed, I'm now interested), whatever that game that Level 5 is creating (I think it was White Knight Chronicles), and Heavy Rain.
A few developers are beginning to make the PS3 the lead console for development in their games, which means you will see some better multiplat games for the PS3 (not saying the 360 version would be better or worse, but that means that ports will finally be equally good). The people behind Mirror's Edge has already stated it is for the game, and the tools that Square Enix is using for FF13 is being used with the PS3 in mind. By the way, if you're really interested in Mirror's Edge and are a sucker for DLC, the PS3 is getting exclusive DLC for the game (not sure WHY that should influence the decision, but if it does, there you go).
MGS4. Nuff said!
The added capabilities of the system (music, video, the ability to install Linux onto the system), plus the firmware is being updated constantly (2.5 is slated for October. This has become significant due to the rumored release of the Home Open Beta to drop with it).
If you want that Blu Ray movie player, the best one is still the PS3.

Yeah, those are my reasons why you could go the other way.

And...WHY ARE YOU DECIDING!!! GET BOTH AND BE FOREVER HAPPY!!

Funky Fly
09-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Yo, Icebox, Pro 360s have 60gb HDDs now. :y:

CSL
09-27-2008, 06:35 PM
PS3.

Because I am a PS3 fanboy.

El Fangel
09-27-2008, 11:26 PM
I am getting the 360, one small problem, I need like another $300 dollars.

CSL
09-29-2008, 02:33 PM
Gay