PDA

View Full Version : I don't "get" screamo

samichna
03-21-2004, 12:21 PM
Bands like Alexisonfire.

They sound OK in their songs until that guy comes in with all his inaudible screams. I don't really see the point of a song that is just a bunch of yelling and screaming.

Like don't flame me here, but if you like screamo and stuff, what is it about it that makes you like it?

asphyXy
03-21-2004, 12:22 PM
<font color=969696>They're trying to hang with the black metal kids.</font>

Kane Knight
03-21-2004, 12:33 PM
It's funny, Asphyxy, because I just ran into a couple of the "goth" kids I knew from High School, and they've now gone "emo."

:lol:

asphyXy
03-21-2004, 02:34 PM
<font color=969696>So they essentially bought new clothes and found new reasons for suicide.</font>

The Mask
03-21-2004, 02:35 PM
<font color=969696>So they essentially bought new clothes and found new reasons for suicide.</font>

yeah, I don't get screamo either at all, but I kinda dig alexisonfire.

samichna
03-21-2004, 02:38 PM

yeah, I don't get screamo either at all, but I kinda dig alexisonfire.

Like musically, they sound pretty good, but IMO the screaming dude just ruins it.

natureboycv
03-21-2004, 03:13 PM
<font color=8307ff><b>Yeah. I don't get it either. :-\</font></b>

The Destroyer
03-21-2004, 03:13 PM
*shrug* I like it mostly, but there's a few bands where the vocals can get a little irritating. You kind of get over it eventually...

The Mask
03-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Like musically, they sound pretty good, but IMO the screaming dude just ruins it.

yeah, you're pretty much right. He doesn't annoy me as much as say... the guy from thursday or that cedric guy from mars volta and that other band

Kane Knight
03-21-2004, 03:17 PM
So they essentially bought new clothes and found new reasons for suicide.
More or less dead on.

No pun intended.

Kane Knight
03-21-2004, 03:18 PM
I feel the same way with many metal bands who are mad talented, but their vocals make me laugh.

Silent
03-21-2004, 03:38 PM
I don't mind screaming, I just can't stand death-metal growls, like Cannibal Corpse and whatnot.

I like the screaming in like.. Avenged Sevenfold, and Slipknot/Stone Sour.

Penner
03-21-2004, 03:57 PM
the guy who plays guitar and back up sings in that band is awesome

the screaming guy is kind of annoying

Joeleosis
03-22-2004, 02:27 AM
I enjoy a huge handful of bands that scream, growl, yell, etc etc, inintelligible shit most the time. I enjoy the sound of it. Regardless of the purpose the style of vocals has in the song, I like the way it sounds. I listen to Cradle Of Filth, probably most renound for it's vocals and how most people find it intolerable. I think Dani Filth is awesome.. but that's just my opinion, my taste in music.

But if you're looking for a point in "screamo," I think in all cases it's used to express that level of emotion. Not all musicians feel clean vocals and controlled vocal styles are best for what is trying to be conveyed in their music.

fonzy
03-22-2004, 11:00 AM
<center><font color="#0080FF" face="Arial" Size="2">i hate the word "screamo"

alexisonfire are ok... well, i've heard 2 songs. one is really good. the other one is alright.</font>

Danny Electric
03-22-2004, 11:03 AM
I enjoy a huge handful of bands that scream, growl, yell, etc etc, inintelligible shit most the time. I enjoy the sound of it. Regardless of the purpose the style of vocals has in the song, I like the way it sounds. I listen to Cradle Of Filth, probably most renound for it's vocals and how most people find it intolerable. I think Dani Filth is awesome.. but that's just my opinion, my taste in music.

But if you're looking for a point in "screamo," I think in all cases it's used to express that level of emotion. Not all musicians feel clean vocals and controlled vocal styles are best for what is trying to be conveyed in their music.

I love Dani's voice.

Danny Electric
03-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Sometimes it annoys me, I think it depends on how it's done and on the singer.

DegenerationY
03-22-2004, 09:59 PM
I don't like a whole lot of screamo, and it's because of the voices. Bands like alexisonfire, static lullaby, etc, they all seem like they're forcing the screams to be part of the new wave of music

With a band like glassjaw, or poison the well, i dunno, the voices fit, they don't seem forced, and there seems to be quite a bit of actual emotion in there. They can mix it well with the singing and make it sound good. A lot of bands can't do that.