PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION: Do people care about Chavo Guerrero?

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Just thought I would seek out some of your opinions about this. Personally, I like Chavo. I think he is a tremendous talent -- both great in the ring and underrated on the mic. He may not be anywhere near as charismatic as his uncle, Eddie Guerrero, but I've always found him more...likable. It's hard to put into words.

Anyway, it seems to me that the fans react well to Chavo. As a face, he gets a fair amount of pops, and as a heel, the place is all over him. But my question is do they actually care about Chavo? Is he capable of being put into an important storyline as the focus of said story, and carry the imagination of fans, or is he destined to be a background character for the rest of his career (not that this is anything to be ashamed of)?

Xerzes
09-29-2008, 01:21 AM
I think it could work, but it hasn't really been tried yet, and doesn't seem likely to in the future.

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2008, 01:27 AM
It really annoys me how they sort of yo-yo with Chavo Guerrero. He goes from winning the ECW Title cleanly from CM Punk, and getting a (relative) main event run as the guy on ECW. Then he jobs the title to Kane in nine seconds, gets the occasional sniff at the belt again, but then jobs to Evan Bourne, who was still a newcomer at the time.

The WWE really needs to decide where they stand on Chavo Guerrero, and consistently book him at that level. I sense that they may be doing something with him soon, though. Eddie Guerrero's DVD is coming out soon, and while I'm sure it won't need anyone to help sell it, Chavo Guerrero getting a bit of a push on television would help revive the Guerrero name in people's minds. Plus, his involvement in this Undertaker angle feels weird.

thedamndest
09-29-2008, 01:27 AM
It's undeniable that he is great in the ring and charismatic on the mic. But he's always played second fiddle to someone. Even as ECW champion, he felt more like Edge's sidekick (despite having a sidekick of his own). He's never really been pushed hard enough to make me believe he has "it" in terms of what it takes to carry the company on his back. That said, he does get a good reaction. They could center something around him, but at this point in time with so many other stars in the mix I would be surprised if he was used as anything besides somebody to elevate someone else to the top.

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2008, 01:32 AM
I pretty much agree with you, thedamndest. I think the WWE semi-missed the boat on an Edge vs. Chavo angle, but then again, I question whether I would actually be interested in such angle, and I am a big Chavo fan. The one time he felt like a heavy-hitter, to me, was at WrestleMania 22, where he came out after Rey won the World Heavyweight Championship, and turned the moment on its head (for the better). Oh, how I wish Chavo would have gotten the Eddie push instead of Rey. The fans just couldn't boo Chavo at the time.

A random time they fucked up with Chavo: Remember when he competed in the Royal Rumble despite being ECW Champion? Great way to make the title look mid-card, WWE.

Stickman
09-29-2008, 01:32 AM
I think he could handle being as high as IC champ but I really don't care about him to answer your question. The guy has a tonne of talent but just doen'st have "it" to be a huge star.

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2008, 01:36 AM
Chavo is not a young man, but something I'd like you to at least ponder:

Did Eddie Guerrero always have "it?" Personally, I'm not sure if he did. I remember not really caring about him during his early WWF career, and while I didn't see his ECW or WCW stuff, and while I'm sure it was fantastic ring work-wise, did any real personality shine through?

I just watched the Los Guerreros titantron, and what struck me was how I could not picture Eddie Guerrero being a WWE Champion in that angle. I'm not trying to insult the man's legacy or anything, but the gimmick was just too fun, and he was nowhere near main event level at this stage. Did Eddie always have "it," or did he pick it up somewhere along the line? Did the fans put it into him? If any of those questions can be answered with a "yes" (and I'm not saying they can be), would it be possible for Chavo to develop this factor?

AKin3D
09-29-2008, 04:08 AM
Chavo is not a young man, but something I'd like you to at least ponder:

Did Eddie Guerrero always have "it?" Personally, I'm not sure if he did. I remember not really caring about him during his early WWF career, and while I didn't see his ECW or WCW stuff, and while I'm sure it was fantastic ring work-wise, did any real personality shine through?

I just watched the Los Guerreros titantron, and what struck me was how I could not picture Eddie Guerrero being a WWE Champion in that angle. I'm not trying to insult the man's legacy or anything, but the gimmick was just too fun, and he was nowhere near main event level at this stage. Did Eddie always have "it," or did he pick it up somewhere along the line? Did the fans put it into him? If any of those questions can be answered with a "yes" (and I'm not saying they can be), would it be possible for Chavo to develop this factor?

Your post made me really start thinking, and it took some time to think about it, but Chavo had started to show the "it" factor in WCW. Then suddently they made him into a stick horse riding psycho. Heck even then he put out some nice matches with Eddie. And though I can't pull them all off the top of my head, I can recall a few other times he started to get big and he was kicked to the side and put into a stupid storyline or made him into a jobber.

As for will Chavo ever be big and shine? Nah. For some reason, I don't think Chavo would want it. Not selling himself short, but the humble factor and understanding his limits with his age, would make him turn anything really big down. But push come to shove he'd take it. In a way Chavo is how should I put this...? The Tommy Dreamer type. He rather not have, than have.

Lux
09-29-2008, 04:19 AM
Eddie had the fans in his pocket the minute he said Latino Heat, he had "it" for awhile before his untimely death (love ya Eddie) but yes to answer Eddie had that "it" factor about him you either loved, hated or respected.

Juan
09-29-2008, 04:29 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while Noid. I think he can definitely take the next step in his career, but he's just been booked really weird. He jobbed to Benoit and Rey for a year, then he comes back from suspension and beats CM Punk for the ECW title. I think the key for him to cement his own legacy is to turn face, he's been a heel forever. I really like Chavo and would like to see him do more.

Juan
09-29-2008, 04:31 AM
And I mean a real face turn, not a "my bodyguard turned on me so now I'm a face" kind of turn. Although, I guess it worked for Shawn Michaels.

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2008, 08:56 AM
I'd have loved to have seen Chavo turn on Edge during the "cheating on Vickie" stuff. That could have been really good. Right now, I'm hoping he helps The Undertaker out against Big Show, just because he is sick of being in harm's way all the time.

FourFifty
09-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Kerwin White was the best thing to happen to Chavo.

Chavo is a great guy, but as everyone said- he doesn't have "it."

Kane Knight
09-29-2008, 09:29 AM
Eddie had "it," and it showed through most of his years in the major wrestling promotions. Unless "it" is what it takes to please nobody but smarktards and linger in obscurity for his entire career, in which case no, because he was successful, over, liked, and could cut a promo without saying a word.

Hanso Amore
09-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Eddie had it the day he was born.

Chavo is a great worker, with limited charisma. he has done well for what he is.

It may seem like a dick statement, but Chavo probably would have been fired by now had Eddie not died.

Think about it, he was on the outs as KERWIN FUCKING WHITE. That gimmick would have last a month or 2 more before they just fired him. When Eddie died, he cam back as chavo as the fans got behind him, rightfully so. But he has been riding that initial wave for a long time.

BigDaddyCool
09-29-2008, 09:31 AM
I like Chavo. But he does not have it. He will always be seen as Eddie's little brother/cousin.

Hanso Amore
09-29-2008, 09:33 AM
chavo has been working for a top company for like 12 years now, so I would say he has made "it". Not everyone gets to the top, and that doesnt mean there is anything wrong with them, they just arent those type a guy.

FourFifty
09-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Think about it, he was on the outs as KERWIN FUCKING WHITE. That gimmick would have last a month or 2 more before they just fired him.

I loved Kerwin White :(
He drew some nice heat as Kerwin White, and his caddy was alright.
Maybe it's because I set a long-term goal to move to Palm Springs but I loved watching him come out with his over the top theme song on a golf cart. Hell, the whole "White middle class" thing pissed a few of my friends off, and they wanted to kill him. If it wasn't White, it wasn't right.

Hanso Amore
09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
You may have liked it, but you also have a Kane Mask Tattoo,, so your opinion doesnt matter :)

White flopped and was on heat every week....but not even main eventing heat, the guy was beneath Eugene and Snitsky!

St. Jimmy
09-29-2008, 10:09 AM
http://www.wrestlingworld.it/Commerciale/Humour/articolo/05beronzone09/parte1/perlaserie/kerwin.JPG

I miss this guy.

Lux
09-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Kerwin White was the shit.

GD
09-29-2008, 02:12 PM
1. Chavo got fucked up when he lost his Cruiserweight Championship to a woman.
2. Chavo got fucked up during his feud with Eddie, although Eddie benefited.
3. Chavo got fucked up in the draft and landed on Heat with a new gimmick.
4. Chavo got fucked up when his Uncle died.
5. Chavo got fucked up with his hair loss.
6. Chavo got fucked up when he injured Rey Rey.
7. Chavo fucked up the Frog Splash.
8. The timing of Chavo's ECW World Heavyweight Championship win was fucked up.
9. Chavo's wrestling arsenal was now exclusively meant to pay homage to the Guerreros.
10. Chavo got fucked up at this year's Wrestlemania.
11. Chavo got fucked up by Evan from Heaven.

IMO, Chavo is solid in the ring as a face and works very well in tag team matches.

Afterlife
09-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Chavo is like a Baldwin that isn't Alec.

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Eddie had "it," and it showed through most of his years in the major wrestling promotions. Unless "it" is what it takes to please nobody but smarktards and linger in obscurity for his entire career, in which case no, because he was successful, over, liked, and could cut a promo without saying a word.

I'm not arguing with you, but was it always like that? I can't imagine watching ECW and WCW Eddie (or "Eddy") and thinking "this guy is a brilliant promo man who will no doubt go in the Hall of Fame." I never did see too much of Eddy Guerrero, so maybe it was like that.

Rollermacka
09-29-2008, 05:04 PM
And I mean a real face turn, not a "my bodyguard turned on me so now I'm a face" kind of turn. Although, I guess it worked for Shawn Michaels.

Chavo has always been solid in the ring. Actually, instead of making him getting a "bodyguard turn face" turn why not have him and Neely as more of a kinda "Hart Foundation" tag team with Neely being the muscle and Chavo being the mouthpiece/ more technical one. They could turn on both Taker and Vickie then start a feud with a mid card team, then work there way up to a main event tag team status. It's not a way to far out goal. Then again that would mean that WWE would start caring for tag teams but they havent in a LONG time.

Mr. Nerfect
09-29-2008, 05:09 PM
If Chavo goes back into tag team wrestling, I'd like to see him re-unite with Gregory Helms. Those guys had a nice little duo going before Helms got injured. Give them Bam Neely as back-up, and I think they could have a nice run together.

parkmania
09-29-2008, 05:54 PM
As for Noid's question about Eddie always having "it", go back and find some of the promos from the lWo days. They were terrific, IIRC.

Lux
09-29-2008, 09:52 PM
This whole thread makes me miss Eddie even more :'(

GD
09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Me too. I miss his smile.

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 12:19 AM
If Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit were still around, wrestling would be a much better place.

Lux
09-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Everytime there is a pause before entrance music hits I always hope to hear "VIVA LA RAZAAAAA" :-\

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 12:42 AM
Apparently Chavo Guerrero has a son. Does anyone know if he is planning to get into wrestling? The Guerrero charm may not be dead yet.

Lux
09-30-2008, 12:43 AM
Seriously each time I watch TNA (against my will) and I see Hector Guerrero his hair and face just scream Eddie. Were they twin brothers or just brothers?

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Seriously each time I watch TNA (against my will) and I see Hector Guerrero his hair and face just scream Eddie. Were they twin brothers or just brothers?

To my belief, they were just brothers, with Hector being older, but it is quite a scary resemblence. Doesn't Mando look a lot like Eddie, too?

It's still hard for me to imagine Hector Guerrero under the Gobbedly Gooker suit. Or even a Mexican wrestler like Guerrero in the WWF at that time. It's also interest to note that Eddie and Hector both competed at WrestleMania X-7, which seems a little surreal to me, for some reason.

Lux
09-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Each time I see either face my first thought is "Eddie" espeically with Hector.

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 12:48 AM
It is really freaky. The sad thing is, I can see that being the reason TNA brought Hector Guerrero in. So people would see Hector, and immediately associate TNA with the greatness of Eddie Guerrero.

Lux
09-30-2008, 12:49 AM
:foc: TNA

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 12:51 AM
The only Guerrero who doesn't really look *too* much like Eddie is Chavo Classic. Maybe Chavo doesn't have the same "it" factor because they're not really related? :shifty:

Lux
09-30-2008, 12:53 AM
Chavo is probably some bean famer who broke into wrestling because his sister/daughter was watching Jeff Hardy on the TEEEVEEE

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 12:54 AM
Kerwin White wasn't actually a gimmick, rather Chavo trying to pass off as a citizen.

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 12:55 AM
I will say this, while not being in love with the gimmick as much as others, Kerwin White's titantron was amazing. Like the actual video -- Kerwin waving in front of a white picket fence obviously editted in behind him. Hilarious.

Lux
09-30-2008, 12:59 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4C0YsHtK598&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4C0YsHtK598&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Lux
09-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Still makes me :rofl:

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 01:18 AM
Absolutely incredible. Thank you so much. It's actually scary how much Kerwin White reminds me of my dad. :-\

Lux
09-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Gonna watch some of his old matchs, shit that stuff was the goods.

"I pass my picket fence and gaze across my new mowed lawn"

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 10:07 AM
The White Out was a pretty cool submission maneuver, too. Shades of Lance Storm.

Afterlife
09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Show me.

The Optimist
09-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Love Chavo.

Afterlife
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
This is silly. Chavo is the John Cena of the midcard: stale as shit and no direction. Without some kind of drastic change, he's never going anywhere.

Fox
09-30-2008, 03:58 PM
I've never liked Chavo, personally. Pepe was pretty good stuff; some of his segments with Eddie in WCW were quality stuff too. But to me he's just so bland that I can't get into his promos or matches the way I can for some other wrestlers. He just doesn't have a good look. Not his fault though, I guess. I recognize that he's a solid worker and turns out good matches with other good wrestlers, but y'know. Same can be said about Val Venis (sorry Noid).

Mr. Nerfect
09-30-2008, 11:05 PM
This is silly. Chavo is the John Cena of the midcard: stale as shit and no direction. Without some kind of drastic change, he's never going anywhere.

So with drastic chance, you think it would be possibile?

Juan
09-30-2008, 11:10 PM

I don't recall Chavo being shoved down our throats, ad nauseam.

Maria xXx
09-30-2008, 11:33 PM
I hate Chavo. he sucks big time

Afterlife
10-01-2008, 11:04 AM

You'll aso note I specified "stale" and "no direction".

Super V
10-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Kerwin White saying Sheltuhn Benjermin was great.

Juan
10-01-2008, 11:09 PM
You'll aso note I specified "stale" and "no direction".

Fair enough

Lux
10-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Kerwin White saying Sheltuhn Benjermin was great.

Really hope the mispelling of the name was apart of what Chavo said at this point.

Lux
10-01-2008, 11:13 PM

Do we discount Afterlife's throat? :shifty:

Afterlife
10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
:|

Mr. Nerfect
10-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Chavo Guerrero's had a lot of finishing moves, really: Tornado DDT, Brainbuster, Low Rider (STF), Gory Bomb, Frog Splash, White Out and now he seems to be using the Rolling Liger Kick as an occasional finish because it looks sweet. I'm probably skimming over some. Go Chavo.

Evolution
10-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Just watched Kerwin White's TitanTron for the first time: ROFLMAO!

Also watched David Flair's that was underneath it. Boring and couldn't they find better footage of Ric? He looks as if he's pissed at David.