PDA

View Full Version : Now correct me if I'm wrong...

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 09:30 AM
But if you lose in part of a gauntlet match, you have lost right?

Innovator
10-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Pretty sure

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 09:44 AM
So if that is correct, what was the point of having Jericho take part in the 3rd match. I would understand having Batista in the 3rd match just to show up Jericho.

Xero
10-21-2008, 10:04 AM
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/sandman3g/Wrestling/wiggumbooking.png

Innovator
10-21-2008, 10:32 AM
My boy Mark Henry has a DQ win over the World Champion now

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 10:38 AM
BTW, did Kane beat Jericho too? What came of that, I quit watching.

Dave Youell
10-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I think I'll skip Raw this week, it sound pretty dam lame

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 10:58 AM
I think I'll skip Raw this week, it sound pretty dam lame

It is the Raw before a PPV, nothing good ever happens. Now Smackdowns before PPVs, someone tends to get injured.

Dave Youell
10-21-2008, 11:14 AM
I know, but the booking generally made no sense.

There’s some matches on this weekend where you have guys that are meant to be involved and they don’t even appear on screen together (Rey/Kane) and where the fuck was Orton and Micheals? Austin I wouldn’t expect, but seriously??!?!?!?!?!

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I was expecting like Micheals to be in the guantlet match.

XL
10-21-2008, 05:09 PM
The match made no sense. It seemed Adamle was just stringing it together as it went along. I also commented to a friend that Jericho should have been out after getting DQ'd.

I kinda like normal Gauntlet Matches (although not a fan of Mid Card wrestlers getting buried like Regal last night) but that reeeeaaaaaaaally sucked.

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm getting tired of how the maineventers are made to look like industructable supermen comparied to midcarders.

XL
10-21-2008, 05:18 PM
For the second time today I am in total agreement with you on this BDC.

Worse thing is if they build Regal up again there is no way that anyone will buy him as a threat to a guy like Batista after being beaten in 2 moves.

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, it isn't that really. I don't think anyone should be getting up after a powerbomb in anything but a high profile match.

It is more to do with Batista, or Cena, or HHH, or even Orton have been in those handicap matches where it is just 2 or 3 of them against all of ECW or the entire Raw Roster only for them to pick up an easy win agains the entire undercard. And gauntlet matches are just another way to do that.

XL
10-21-2008, 05:25 PM
But should a guy like Regal be getting powerbombed 3 minutes into a match in the first place?

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Depends on who he is against. If regal is against say, Snitski (not that I have ever seen him do a powerbomb), no. In a gauntlet match against Batista were Batista knows he needs to get it done fast so he can have energy to go against the following guys, yeah. Against Kevin Nash? The match should just be a powerbomb for the win.

It made sense in that enviroment. But Regal doesn't look worse for losing to Batista like that.

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Don't get me wrong, the booking before and after that was crap. But I don't have a problem with a Dave Batista power bombing guys of any caliber for a quick win.

parkmania
10-21-2008, 06:12 PM
I went away from that match wishing that my prediction had come true - that Jericho would have faced midget versions of the guys Batista faced.

BigDaddyCool
10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
I don't think they want to make Adamle a heel though. Which is silly, face gm's suck.

parkmania
10-21-2008, 06:36 PM
It seems that they've been letting Adamle be a tweener GM. One week he's listening to Jericho, the next he's doing what the fans want...

So, SD! gets the heel GM, ECW has the face GM, and Raw gets the tweener.

thedamndest
10-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Nobody is going to correct the "Know/now" debacle in the thread title or at least mention the irony?

CSL
10-21-2008, 07:47 PM
I didn't really pay attention to the screen when RAW was on but I was listening and the commentary job was awful. Are King and Cole always that bad together? Very meh show

Gerard
10-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Nobody is going to correct the "Know/now" debacle in the thread title or at least mention the irony?

Considering he had a post where he stated that he "choked at Batista" im not that suprised. :-\

Tazz Dan
10-21-2008, 07:51 PM

I WAS going to when I saw the thread title, but I guess you beat me to it :-\

Afterlife
10-22-2008, 05:00 AM
I rarely do this, but here's what SHOULD have happened if they really insisted on a gauntlet match: A handicapped gauntlet match.

Since WWE liks teaming up their title opponents so much (as they often do with Tag Title runs and such) it should have been Jericho and Batista as a team facing three opponents in a row. Batista should have pinned Regal. How it happened wouldn't have mattered, as long asBatista made the first fall. Then Batista works over Henry and, not to be outdone or overshadowed, Jericho steals the pin. This would set the tension between the "team mates" and illuminate Jericho's "anything to prove I"m better" mentality. After that, it's Batista and Jericho trying to outdo each other against Kane, fighting over who gets to pin him -- much like the part iof a triple threat where the two heels try to pin the face.

Here, you can go in many directions: Batista pins Kane, demonstrating his dominance; Jericho pins Kane, demonsrtrating trickery or versitility; Kane pins either of them, allowing himself to step up in the ranks and causing greater friction between Batista/Jericho. There were many possibilities for the outcome with interesting and effective results.

As it is, we were given the single worst main event I've ever seen on Monday Night RAW. It was sloppy, confusing, and overall a bad, bad idea. I can just about guarantee this is an Adamle Original we'll never see again.

Mr. Nerfect
10-22-2008, 11:16 AM
They really did a bad job of explaining it to people, which is where it really went wrong. Chalk that up in kayfabe to Mike Adamle being an "idiot-savant" General Manager.

I like to think of the matches on RAW as more of a series than one actual match. All-in-all, we got six matches in that series. Batista started off against William Regal, because he is the challenger to Jericho. Batista needed to get things done quickly, so he used power against Regal, who was in it for the individual win (he didn't have to face anyone later), so he was looking to pick apart Batista, which made him too vulnerable to Batista's power. Jericho was then placed in a match against Regal, and defeated him using Batista's work.

To be fair, Jericho would then start the next round of matches. Mark Henry was Jericho's opponent, and Jericho got himself disqualified, which gave Mark Henry a victory over Chris Jericho. Batista then used Jericho's work to pin the former ECW Champion.

Batista was probably Adamle's choice to start off round three (as the champion should have some sort of "champion's advantage"), but seeing as Jericho lost the last match, Jericho was forced to start against Kane, and was pinned after Batista distracted Jericho. Batista then pinned Kane after Jericho inadvertently distracted Kane. This gave Batista three pinfall wins (over Regal, Henry and Kane), and left Jericho with a pinfall win over Regal, a disqualification loss to Henry and a pinfall loss to Kane.

It's much easier if you look at them in terms of individual matches, and not one continuous fall-based elimination contest. Regal, Henry and Kane weren't a team here, nor were Batista and Jericho.

It was an interesting concept, they just didn't flesh it out enough. The contest was lost in translation, and the whole "Gauntlet Match" title wasn't really thought out. It was more six singles matches (three apiece) for bragging rights. Batista won with a record of 3-0 to Jericho's 1-2.

That being said, the Tag Team Gauntlet Afterlife suggested would have been cool. Have William Regal and Paul Burchill as the first team, Maybe have Mark Henry and Tony Atlas as the second? To face it up, Finlay & Hornswoggle could have been used, and Jericho could have done something heelish to Hornswoggle and steal a second round win to get extra heat and make him look like a chickenshit. The final fall could have featured Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase, who could have been approached by Adamle earlier in the night and told that since their match with Cryme Tyme never started, they are going to be in his Gauntlet Match. Jericho could have turned on Batista during the match, and allowed Rhodes & DiBiase to score a major win for themselves, Regal, Burchill, Finlay & Hornswoggle.

Mr. Nerfect
10-22-2008, 11:16 AM
By the way, BDC, it's "now."

BigDaddyCool
10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about Noid.

Mr. Nerfect
10-23-2008, 03:55 AM
Of course you don't. Idiot.

The Mackem
10-23-2008, 05:14 AM
So what was the point of the match anyway, a Batista vs. Jericho bragging rights competition. Haven't watched Raw in ages but the concept of this match has my attention.

Afterlife
10-23-2008, 06:02 AM
That's what it was supposed to be, Mac. Trying to outdo each other.

BigDaddyCool
10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
God, I wish I could ban noid from my threads.

Afterlife
10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
When I read that, I hear Napoleon Dynamite.

BigDaddyCool
10-23-2008, 02:36 PM
Fuck you afterlife. I hate that movie.

Afterlife
10-23-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm not saying you shouldn't. Just making an offhand comment.

Mr. Nerfect
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
So what was the point of the match anyway, a Batista vs. Jericho bragging rights competition. Haven't watched Raw in ages but the concept of this match has my attention.

That's pretty much what it was. A poorly explained series of six matches pitting Jericho and Batista against the same three opponents.

Mr. Nerfect
10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
I wish there was a way to ban BDC from the universe. But at least he hates Napoleon Dynamite.

Kane Knight
10-23-2008, 11:01 PM
That's pretty much what it was. A poorly explained series of six matches pitting Jericho and Batista against the same three opponents.

I guess ignoring the simpler explanation, that is kinda true.