PDA

View Full Version : Austin's heel run

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-22-2004, 08:33 PM
That is possibly the greatest heel run ever. It sucked that everything else was horrible, but god, I would just watch the shows just to see him work the craft of heel. I mean seriously, the live crowds were sooooooooo into him it wasn't even believable. When he firts introfuced "what" it was possibly the funniest thing ever, and only turned shitty when he turned face. His music was bomb, his vicious heel inring work was godlike and his promos were just...wow. If it weren't for him, I think I'd have given up on the product, that's why I'll always have a soft spot for him, even when he's busy burying everyone.

So this brings me to my question, what's your favourite heel Austin moment? Mine is either a) When Regal shatted him out, and he put Regal over huge and cowared away and b) Whenever he'd bust out the guitar. Probably one of his promos would take the cake as well, but I can't remember any specific ones. He was just frickin gold.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Plus he jawjacked more than he ever had in his career. LOL, he was the mang

Funky Fly
03-22-2004, 08:43 PM
It has to be when Regal gave it to him.

I hated him as a heel during InVasion, because he never did "get his". Like HHH froom 2002 up until Wrestlemania last weekend.

KingofOldSchool
03-22-2004, 09:24 PM
When he whipped Tazz in the middle of the ring. :lol:

jasonvoorhees
03-22-2004, 09:37 PM
When he join with Mr.Macmahon at Wrestlemania X-7.

The CyNick
03-22-2004, 11:23 PM
The "What" thing was very annoying, and it actually still to this day has hurt many promos because the fans are so busy chanting "what" they dont get into the point of the promo. Its not as bad as it once was, but its still there and its not good.

In terms of Austin as a heel, I thought he was great at it, but sadly it seemed to turn away a lot of fans, which seems kinda obvious.

My favorite moment with him as a heel was the whole deal with Angle and him on a bridge here in Toronto. Austin's CS routine was hilarious:

Angle: Cry

Austin: I caint cry

Angle: Okay, then I'll throw you off the bridge...

Austin: okay, wait, I can cry

Great stuff!

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-22-2004, 11:28 PM
Angle gave Austin his.

Funky Fly
03-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Not enough.

RVD got nothing out of it
Benoit got nothing out of it
Tazz lost a hell of a lot from it

Heyman
03-23-2004, 12:23 AM
That is possibly the greatest heel run ever. It sucked that everything else was horrible, but god, I would just watch the shows just to see him work the craft of heel. I mean seriously, the live crowds were sooooooooo into him it wasn't even believable. When he firts introfuced "what" it was possibly the funniest thing ever, and only turned shitty when he turned face. His music was bomb, his vicious heel inring work was godlike and his promos were just...wow. If it weren't for him, I think I'd have given up on the product, that's why I'll always have a soft spot for him, even when he's busy burying everyone.

So this brings me to my question, what's your favourite heel Austin moment? Mine is either a) When Regal shatted him out, and he put Regal over huge and cowared away and b) Whenever he'd bust out the guitar. Probably one of his promos would take the cake as well, but I can't remember any specific ones. He was just frickin gold.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you said. If it was up to me, I would've continued Austin's heel run until Wrestlemania (where he would've jobbed to a face Triple H).

My favorite Austin heel moment was when he was punking out The Rock before Survivor Series with his continuous 'what's?'

I also enjoyed it when he he called out Bill DeMott, etc.

"Are you supposed to be funny?....what? Are you supposed to be a comedian? What? Are you supposed to be Humorous (Hugh Morris).....what?"

CBright7831
03-23-2004, 12:56 AM
This is one of the most charished pictures of Austin I could find. I have this saved on a disc so if my computer blows up, I'll have it saved.

I posted it a few days ago but fuck it, here it is again:

Rock Bottom
03-23-2004, 01:00 AM
Austin's heel run was not worthy of one of the biggest icons in the business.

I'm not just quoting him, I'm serious. Not when they make him act like a retard. Same thing with The Rock. I love him as a heel, except for when they have him run from people and shi</>t. When the guys are faces, they don't act like pussies, but all the sudden when they're heel they do, but end up kicking their opponent's ass anyway.

But, Austin acting like Vince was his dad was pretty funny.

Paranoid Rattlesnake
03-23-2004, 03:53 AM
Seriously man it was retarded, Stupid Mother fuc</>ker started saying WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT

The Mackem
03-23-2004, 04:01 AM
Nah it was the greatest thing ever.

You want to know what my watch is saying?

Mikey
03-23-2004, 08:59 AM
I thought it was great

Scarface
03-23-2004, 09:08 AM
This is one of the most charished pictures of Austin I could find. I have this saved on a disc so if my computer blows up, I'll have it saved.

I posted it a few days ago but fuck it, here it is again:
That is possibly my favourite backstage skit ever. Other than Kurt "interviewing" Rock.:y:

Mr. Marcus
03-23-2004, 02:56 PM
Nah it was the greatest thing ever.

You want to know what my watch is saying?

:lol:

I'm not sure if it was Tazz or whomever, but it was stil great:

Tazz: Hey Steve, can you tell me what my watch is saying?

Austin: No. I can't speak Chinese.

The Naitch
03-23-2004, 03:08 PM
Austin's heel run was not worthy of one of the biggest icons in the business.

I'm not just quoting him, I'm serious. Not when they make him act like a retard. Same thing with The Rock. I love him as a heel, except for when they have him run from people and shi</>t. When the guys are faces, they don't act like pussies, but all the sudden when they're heel they do, but end up kicking their opponent's ass anyway.

But, Austin acting like Vince was his dad was pretty funny.

what he said ^^^^

I still would've liked to see Rock and Austin go at it with Austin as the heel, but they pre-maturely ejaculated and turned him face shortly after Survivor Series.

tucsonspeed6
03-23-2004, 03:15 PM
The crowd never really gave Austin any heat. It was like the people loved him so much from when he was a face that they refused to boo at him, but they refused to cheer because he was a heel, so they didn't really do anything. As time went on Austin turned it into a comedy and that's what made it great. He could make the people laugh, and I don't think he was technically a heel then. The what thing wasn't bad. The promos of everybody after him, (and in some cases very serious things) were ruined because the fans were idiots. I swear if Austin had come up with it earlier, there'd be idiots to chant it when they were having the memorial Raw for Owen Hart. Don't blame it on Austin. His job was to get a reaction from the crowd and that's what he did.

Joe Kerr
03-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Ever notice that when a face becomes a heel they run and hide more and get there ass whooped alot more? When austin came out during the invasion days as a face he destroyed wcw/ecw...once he became heel he was running from angle when the faces came out he booked it out of there...

tucsonspeed6
03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
His stunner suddenly couldn't hurt a fly either. Before it was a sure knockout, then even little spike was kicking out of it.

tucsonspeed6
03-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Taker was the exception to that rule. Even as a heel he still would stomp everyone. That's the only reason why I liked him as a heel. Sure it was because his ego was so huge he refused to sell even then, and he had backstage politics going like gangbusters, but he was the only heel that was actually a "bad guy" at the time. Heels were (and still are) always such pussies that the bad guy image (like the badguy in an old western) is replaced with some drop of mayonaisse counterpart that makes me yawn.

RGWhat316
03-23-2004, 04:01 PM
Being an Austin fan, I was really pissed when he turned heel, but his stuff with Angle was just gold. One of my favorites was the night after KOR '01:
Angle: You know Steve, you and I have a lot in common. You're tough, I'm tough. You're a former KOR champion, I'm a former KOR champion, You're the WWF champion, I'm a former WWF champion. I mean, its almost like, we could be related. Incredible! :lol:

Then later in the night they were at WWF NY and Austin was calling out Booker T saying," Stone Cold Steve Austin is the man. Is Stone Cold the man?" (hold mic to Angle for 1 second) "Thats right!" ( Angle makes sour face)

Rob
03-23-2004, 04:15 PM
If Austin made business go up at that time, I'd consider him the best heel ever. He was so awesome then. My favourite moment of that time was when Kurt Angle gave him and Vince McMahon and Austin came out with the classic "we don't need no stickin' badges" line. :lol:

Corkscrewed
03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
I dunno what you're talking about, Dave. The crowd was never really into him as a heel. It took three consecutive shows of him doing heinous acts for them to even accept him as a heel and they constantly wanted to cheer him. That's why the run only lasted a few months before they started cheering him again.

On the other hand, his heel run did produce some hilarious stuff with Angle and Vince. It was just so random that it became comedic gold.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-23-2004, 05:41 PM
First of all, my name is Dale. Second of all, he needed 3 shows of heinous acts to get him over as a heel because he was so over as a face. During the invasion the crowd was really into his heel stuff. So don't talk to me like I'm a retard.

Corkscrewed
03-23-2004, 06:14 PM
Sorry. Typo.

Secondly, I maintain that he wasn't a good heel during his heel run. The crowd was into him, but not really him as a heel. He even admits himself that the heel run never really panned out. Though he really wanted to play the heel, his character was so over that it never completely worked. If you booed him, it was only because you were "supposed to" and never because you really wanted to. At least that was my general feeling throughout that time.

Ultimately, I believe the fans were all over him because he was Austin, not because he was a heel.

KillerWolf
03-23-2004, 06:57 PM
Taker was the exception to that rule. Even as a heel he still would stomp everyone. That's the only reason why I liked him as a heel. Sure it was because his ego was so huge he refused to sell even then, and he had backstage politics going like gangbusters, but he was the only heel that was actually a "bad guy" at the time. Heels were (and still are) always such pussies that the bad guy image (like the badguy in an old western) is replaced with some drop of mayonaisse counterpart that makes me yawn.
i was just going to bring that up when i saw your post. the fact is, the undertaker gets his ass kicked more as a face. a lot more. granted, its usually like...3 on 1, but still as a face, he is always just being victimized in one way or another.

Savio
03-23-2004, 07:34 PM
I liked it when he teamed with HHH.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-23-2004, 10:57 PM
Sorry. Typo.

Secondly, I maintain that he wasn't a good heel during his heel run. The crowd was into him, but not really him as a heel. He even admits himself that the heel run never really panned out. Though he really wanted to play the heel, his character was so over that it never completely worked. If you booed him, it was only because you were "supposed to" and never because you really wanted to. At least that was my general feeling throughout that time.

Ultimately, I believe the fans were all over him because he was Austin, not because he was a heel.

The fans were all over him because he was a bastard, who did bastardly things and became an asskissing coward/psycho who talked to his watch, and was completely over the top. His heel run didn't pan out because business sucked at the time, and everyone around him was booked poorly including his opponents, which was why business never picked up with him as heel. The fans were all over him whether you liked it or not, I remember nights during the invasion where it was just ravenous, and the fans LOVED to hate him. Don't even try me.

Batsu
03-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Except for the comedy, it sucked.

As Funky Fly mentioned....RVD, Tazz, and ESPECIALLY Chris Benoit were shafted in this feud.

Though, I did like his feud with Angle. That was great.

ColdwaVer
03-25-2004, 07:23 PM
...he needed 3 shows of heinous acts to get him over as a heel because he was so over as a face.

I disagree. Hulk Hogan managed to have the crowd hating him in about ten seconds just by siding with Hall and Nash and cutting a serious heel promo. Austin never got over properly as a heel because he wasn't different enough from his old self, just more of an asshole, and still not enough of one. The only good things to come out of his promos were what they did for those surrounding him; they gave Angle a chance to truly develop his mic skills to the genius they have become, and he exposed us to a lot of the personalities of the WCW undercard. The whole "WHAT" thing was nothing short of obnoxious while he was a heel, it only really got fun when the crowd was chanting it at every pause. When he was using it to interrupt people he was talking to, it was painful to listen to. I think the failure of his heel run was evident when he managed to turn face after Survivor Series '01 by doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. All they did was change his opponents and boom, the fans are going nuts for him again. Hell they popped for him the next night when Flair announced that he would NOT be stripping the guy of the title, regardless of the fact that he had just tried to run the WWF out of business.

targo_the_sho_stopa
03-26-2004, 08:50 AM
I liked Austin/Regal segment building up to the 3 way at KOTR between Austin/Benoit/Y2J and he was doing that petition and Sppike ripped it up and Austin went pissin and moanin to him
Austin: COMISSIONER, COMISSIONER LOOK WHAT HE DID!!!!!!!
Regal: Who?
Austin: Spike, Spike Dudley!!!
Classical, also when Debra laced him with the cookie tray then Austin started eatin em and he sounded like the Cookie Monster hehehehehe.

Ol Dirty Dastard
03-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Hulk Hogan has an easy gimmick to get him over as a heel though, he worked for the other guys, and the fans didn't like that. Austin was still a badass, but needed to get booed as a badass.