PDA

View Full Version : Remember when Milhouse Van Houten died playing WaterWorld just by stepping forward?

Jon Kano
11-11-2008, 07:49 PM
Well I feel kinda like that.

I just got out my SEGA Megadrive.....fuckin Streets of Rage, Golden Axe....all those gems...

And then I find a game called, Another World...

This game is a piece of shit. Ok, I am not going to try to credit it all, I just fucking died by stepping into an animal the sixe of a slug, which gave me a cut on my leg about 1cm long.

Apart from that you die very easily and I am not enjoying it.

But I can't stop playing it.

Its very hard to describe.

PapaGeorgio
11-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Just watched a clip on youtube of it on Youtube. Game looks crazy. Looks like it could be hard, also looks like they tried to do some new things with the game. Note I watched clip of it on SNES

Jon Kano
11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
It is pretty hard, its like if you die from even the smallest thing, you have to remember how you got there; puzzles etc.

Quite funny and pathetic too. I just got to the second level and its underground, and there are supposed to be people digging in the background in some kind of mine. Swear down right now, the entire figure and the tool they are using to dig is made up of like 8 pixels with only two colors lol

El Fangel
11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
I fucking hate games like that, I think Revenge of Shinobi used to be like that too, there was one point where buddy would throw shurikens at you and you couldn't move, so irritating.

Jeritron
11-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Revenge of Shinobi is a) not that hard to get through and b) fuckin amazing

Boomer
11-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Another World is on a lot of top Megadrive lists for its innovations in storytelling and animation, which at the time were both incredible. I will probably give it a shot at some point.

El Fangel
11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
Revenge of Shinobi is a) not that hard to get through and b) fuckin amazing

I just remember the cheap ass enemies, never said it was not an amazing game.

Jeritron
11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I thought you said you "hate games like that". I must defend Shinobi

Y2Ant
11-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Couple of points:

a) Another World (and Flashback, since they go hand-in-hand) is probably one of my favorite Megadrive games of all time and it's fucking immense, which anyone with half a brain (or perhaps some taste in video games?) can see.

b) Perhaps you would not die to the slugs if maybe you actually tried to AVOID them, since y'know, they kill you, might not be a bad idea to kick them (which kills them) or just jump over them? God help you when you get to the hard parts.

c) For slating a game that I absolutely worship to the ground, you have hereby incurred my eternal wrath and will be struck down with AIDS. I bid you good day.

Kane Knight
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
1. I just checked this out on Youtube. I like the artistic direction and style. I mean, the graphics are clearly dated, but the style is pretty cool.

2. Avoiding enemies? Dude!

3. From now on, I will call Kano "Thrillho," in honour of the other episode I can name right now which involved video games.

El Fangel
11-11-2008, 11:27 PM
I thought you said you "hate games like that". I must defend Shinobi

See he cant even defend himself

Drakul
11-12-2008, 12:41 AM
I had Another World for the SNES when I was younger. I loved it. I can't imagin I would have done very well but I can't remember failing at it. So I'm not sure how good or bad I was at the game. Either way, I loved it.

Bad Company
11-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Couple of points:

a) Another World (and Flashback, since they go hand-in-hand) is probably one of my favorite Megadrive games of all time and it's fucking immense, which anyone with half a brain (or perhaps some taste in video games?) can see.

b) Perhaps you would not die to the slugs if maybe you actually tried to AVOID them, since y'know, they kill you, might not be a bad idea to kick them (which kills them) or just jump over them? God help you when you get to the hard parts.

c) For slating a game that I absolutely worship to the ground, you have hereby incurred my eternal wrath and will be struck down with AIDS. I bid you good day.
Yup. Flashback and Another World are classics.

jcmoorehead
11-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Flashback/Another World are indeed classics. I remember getting a big five pack of Delphine Softwares games, it included Operation Stealth, Cruise For A Corpse, Future Wars, Another World and Flashback. The first three were all classic point and click games and immensely enjoyable. Problem was with me being quite young at the time Another World/Flashback were too hard for me and I never could really appreciate them however as I got older I learnt to appreciate them a lot more.

I do need to get Another World on an emulator sometime, a few years ago I played through all of Flashback and it was an amazing game. Didn't Delphine actually release a sequel to Flashback on the PSOne?

Y2Ant
11-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, Fade to Black. It wasn't that great really, they should have kept the game 2D.

There was also an awful sequel to Another World on the Sega CD called Heart of the Alien, where they kill off Lester (the guy you control) and the alien has to like "get revenge" or whatever. Terrible.

I stumbled upon a PC remake (mainly just an improved soundtrack) of Another World on youtube a while back, not sure why I haven't downloaded it yet.

Y2Ant
11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
I need to play this version of Flashback more than I need to breathe:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zYctvyRMNcs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

Jon Kano
11-12-2008, 11:27 AM
Well I only STARTED to play it last night and I got to at least halfway through the second level after running away from that beast thing lol

I didn't mean to slate it off, because yinno I actually like it too. Rather just wanted to point out how funny it was too see myself die from a small scratch lol from a slug.

But yeah, I like the game. Its different.

Jon Kano
11-12-2008, 11:28 AM
That is Mega CD I think

#BROKEN Hasney
11-12-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, Another World & Flashback... Man, I finished them so many times and recently finished Flashback about 3 months ago on the DS. 2nd level of Flashback, with all the jobs, is just brilliant.

EDIT: Yeah, that is Mega CD. I've got that lying around at my mums house somewhere.

Y2Ant
11-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Rather funny compilation of all the possible Another World death scenes:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fdq7sDvIuLo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

The storyline I previously mentioned about Lester before Heart of the Alien:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/n50iKNjwU4A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed>

There's also a godawful French sequel of Fade to Black (but in Flashback style 2D graphics) that never made it out on the Nintendo DS, but I think some guy finished it, there's videos of it on youtube around, pretty trippy to watch it.

Jon Kano
11-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Gonna hit it later more i think

Ryan Coke
11-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Well I feel kinda like that.

I just got out my SEGA Megadrive.....fuckin Streets of Rage, Golden Axe....all those gems...

And then I find a game called, Another World...

This game is a piece of shit. Ok, I am not going to try to credit it all, I just fucking died by stepping into an animal the sixe of a slug, which gave me a cut on my leg about 1cm long.

Apart from that you die very easily and I am not enjoying it.

But I can't stop playing it.

Its very hard to describe.

You need to fucking die. Another World is one of the most innovative and exciting games ever to have been made.

Here's a tip for you you fucking idiot: If there are slugs with flashing eyes walking in front of you in a world that you do not recognise, don't walk over them. Also, here's another tip for you - if you are running away from a huge beast and it is going to catch up with you, don't just hope for the best.

Jon Kano
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Dude, read the rest of the thread. After last night playing it more I changed my mind.

Jon Kano
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I did say I couldn't stop playing it. Kind of early signs my opinion was going to be swayed.

Ryan Coke
11-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I got angry when I read it and immediately started typing. You cannot blame me for this reaction when you know how it feels to complete this game. You have made me want to dig out my old Amiga which is 200 miles away, play Another World on it and start fucking wanking everywhere, cumming all over the Bug joystick when I do the famous "run for your life". Or I could just play it on an emulator and have a tidy wank later.

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME

Jon Kano
11-12-2008, 12:02 PM
Mate learn from wanking mistakes like I have. When it comes to adoring old computer games, and a wankfest is an immediate threat to the equipment, go for a 'posh wank', as in use a rubber.

But yeah, I pretty much also love the game now.

Y2Ant
11-12-2008, 01:09 PM
I like you, Ryan Coke.

BigDaddyCool
11-13-2008, 02:21 PM
That game looks horrible.

Y2Ant
11-13-2008, 02:36 PM
It's not. It's amazing.

BigDaddyCool
11-13-2008, 04:04 PM
You are dumb, so what do you know :mad:

Super V
11-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah I remember this game as Out of This World on the Super Nintendo. I thought it sucked at first too, just one of those games that draws you into it.