PDA

View Full Version : First Person Shooters suck.

Xero
12-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Seriously, I'm getting so tired of them. I used to like them. Quake, Doom, Half-Life, all good. But they've become what the Platformer was in the 2D era. Every FPS (and even some TPS) that comes out now is the same old shit that has been done to death. And it's either survivor horror, a war game or a mixture of the both.

I have seriously not found one FPS that I like in the past four years because it all feels the same.

Please, for the love of God, find a new genre to go apeshit over so the best games of the year aren't 80% shooters.

Anyone see where I'm coming from?

G
12-05-2008, 03:13 AM
north, north east?

Funky Fly
12-05-2008, 03:25 AM
Did you try Bioshock? That shit is fantastic. I'm not a massive fan of the genre, but yeah. Love that game.

D Mac
12-05-2008, 03:49 AM
Call of Duty 4

LoDownM
12-05-2008, 03:52 AM
It will ALL change when Duke Nukem Forever comes out in 150 years.

RoXer
12-05-2008, 03:53 AM
Portal
L4D
TF2
COD4/5
Mirrors Edge
Bioshock
Far Cry 2

D Mac
12-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Mirrors Edge = meh

Ogen
12-05-2008, 09:26 AM
COD4 literally the only shooter I've liked since Goldeneye and its become one of my favorite games.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-05-2008, 09:30 AM
COD4 literally the only shooter I've liked since Goldeneye and its become one of my favorite games.

Replace L4D with COD4 for me and you've got it.

BigDaddyCool
12-05-2008, 10:19 AM
It seems you are annoyed more with the story line than the actaul games. But yes, fps follow a certain, how you say, formula.

Requiem
12-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Yeah, try Bioshock. Also, try Dead Space. It doesn't even really feel like a shooter, because you're too scared shitless through most of the game to even notice.

Xero
12-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I hated Bioshock.

It's not as much the story as it is the gameplay. They all feel the same. Yeah, you might get the "throw shit around with your magic energy beam/hand/mind" in some games, but in the end you're just repetitiously shooting at shit that jumps out at you.

And I love Portal, but I wouldn't consider it a FPS. More like a first person puzzler.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-05-2008, 11:36 AM
I hated Bioshock.

It's not as much the story as it is the gameplay. They all feel the same.

And I love Portal, but I wouldn't consider it a FPS.

Yeah, same with Mirrors Edge in RoXers list

Xero
12-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Mirror's Edge is probably the only game in this thread I'm half-interested in. Gonna download the demo.

Kane Knight
12-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Portal
L4D
TF2
COD4/5
Mirrors Edge
Bioshock
Far Cry 2

I don't know about all of the rest, but Portal and ME are First Person SHOOTERS? Portal seems to be only in the loosest sense of the word...

Anyway, I could never get myself into the genre, but it always amazes me how people gush over so many games within the same genre which are virtually identical in terms of things. I also thought it was funny that people thought it was original to put powers in an FPS (Bioshock; People love to also praise it for its atmosphere, and I'm not panning that part).

Ogen
12-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Also didn't care for COD4's singleplayer much it was alright I suppose but the online was the important thing.

Seph
12-05-2008, 12:43 PM
Yeah, try Bioshock. Also, try Dead Space. It doesn't even really feel like a shooter, because you're too scared shitless through most of the game to even notice.

Dead Space is GODLY. It is refreshing for being a FPS game, considering I despise most FPS myself, and it is the single handedly most horrifying shit I have ever experienced.

Funky Fly
12-05-2008, 03:11 PM
I don't know about all of the rest, but Portal and ME are First Person SHOOTERS? Portal seems to be only in the loosest sense of the word...

Anyway, I could never get myself into the genre, but it always amazes me how people gush over so many games within the same genre which are virtually identical in terms of things. I also thought it was funny that people thought it was original to put powers in an FPS (Bioshock; People love to also praise it for its atmosphere, and I'm not panning that part).

The atmosphere of the game is a given. Very well done there. For me, it's not just the fact that there are powers in the game, it's their application that makes them noteworthy. The whole "God powers avec glowing hand" goes back to Doom, but all you could do was just blow shit up gooder, hyuck hyuck. The powers aren't just a destructive bonus, they're somewhat essential to advancing the plot. Less of a last minute add-on, I guess.

Requiem
12-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Dead Space is GODLY. It is refreshing for being a FPS game, considering I despise most FPS myself, and it is the single handedly most horrifying shit I have ever experienced.

Yeah, pretty much. Played this ish on DS's 46" Samsung.. Fucking gorgeous, and made it that much scarier.

RoXer
12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't know about all of the rest, but Portal and ME are First Person SHOOTERS? Portal seems to be only in the loosest sense of the word.

Meh. First person perspective, move around, shoot things. Close enough for me. Granted, shooting isn't the main focus of gameplay in ME. But it sounded like he wanted something different in FPS so there it is.

RoXer
12-05-2008, 06:08 PM
It's not as much the story as it is the gameplay. They all feel the same. Yeah, you might get the "throw shit around with your magic energy beam/hand/mind" in some games, but in the end you're just repetitiously shooting at shit that jumps out at you.

That's where Portal and Mirror's edge come in. You said you didn't consider Portal an FPS so I'm assuming you played it. But like I said, if you move around in a first person POV and shoot things, then that would be an FPS. But whatever, let's not argue over the definition of an FPS.

What was I saying...? Oh yeah, Portal and Mirror's Edge are exactly what you're looking for if you want different gameplay. The real fun and change in game play for Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2, and the Call of Dutys (HAHA DOODIES) is the multiplayer. It's a completely different experience when you're playing with human controlled players. Like in Left 4 Dead, yeah you CAN go through the entire game with the AI but that's no fun at all. The fun in it is to work together as a team with maybe a few of your buddies and hearing their reactions when zombies scare the crap out of them. Same thing with the CODs, there is a single player campaign and it is done really well but the main fun is in the multiplayer. Working together to level up your profile is the main focus. Thing is, if you haven't played online before then you have a huge first wall ahead of you. So many people have been playing that game for so long now that they can spot you when you are a small pixel on their TV. But if you have patience and don't mind the learning curve then you should definitely give the CODs a shot. Hell, TF2 doesn't even have a single player mode. (But if it did it would be awesome. With all the "Meet the..." videos I'm sure Valve can create an awesome story behind all the characters. I'm getting off-track again...) TF2 is all online Vs. mode. It's basically a giant Rock-Paper-Scissors match with 9 different classes, each of them having their own strengths/weaknesses and knowing what class to select and where. Again, working together is key here. The art direction is also very unique in this game, very cartoonish but a lot of fun. The main point is that you really have to play online to get the full experience out of the gameplay.

Far Cry 2 I've played a little bit of so far and it might fall into the "same ol" category. What's unique about would be the giant land mass that is your playground and maybe the interactive map and the ability to approach missions in the game however you want, but in the end I think this game boils down to what it is that bugs you. There is a map editor with a few players making some crazy maps in it too. I dunno, to be fair I'm only like 7% into the game so I can't really give a fair judement.

I know these don't fall into the categpry of FIRST person shooter, but what about GTA, Mass Effect, and Fallout 3?

Xero
12-05-2008, 09:42 PM
You don't "shoot" much in Portal, if ever. There's a difference between a First Person Shooter and a game that plays in the first person.

Multiplayer is just same old shit for me too. Yeah, it's a bit deeper in strategy but in the end it's even more repetitive than single player, because you're usually working on what amounts to about three or four different types of maps (with variations throughout however many maps are in the game).

GTA I like but open world is completely different than FPS. Never played the other two as, if it isn't obvious, I tend to stray away from FPS's.

For the record, I lump a game like Gears of War into the FPS category. It may not be first-person, but it's the exact same mechanics.

RoXer
12-05-2008, 10:25 PM
So basically, you're getting bored with shooting things in shooting games?

Xero
12-05-2008, 10:28 PM
I'm tired of the repetitiveness which 99% of shooters inherit, specifically in the multiplayer.

RoXer
12-05-2008, 10:55 PM
I'm tired of the repetitiveness which 99% of shooters inherit, specifically in the multiplayer.

Repetitiveness such as shooting things in these shooters? Because I've given two good examples of games where you do more than just shoot. Yet somehow, once a new element is added, they are no longer considered a shooter. A Catch-22 I guess.

Xero
12-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I've just come to the realization that there are two factors here.

One, the multiplayer, which is EXTREMELY repetitive across all games. I just don't see a difference when it comes down to the essence of the gameplay. Classes are nice, but I guess it does come down to repeatedly shooting shit and I just get tired of it. I'd much rather play the single player through than sit on the same few maps for hours at a time.

And two, I just can't play most FPS with a controller (need keyboard/mouse) and it pisses me off that most "good" 360 games are FPS.

Anyway, my main point of this thread is the over-saturation of the genre and the fact that it dominates across most platforms. Wasn't really trying to shit on it completely, as there are no doubt good ones out there.

El Fangel
12-07-2008, 09:58 AM
if there ever is a world war three look for a flood of shitty games.I am expecting an iraq invasion game in the near future. that should be good

.44 Magdalene
12-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Dead Space is a FPS like Resident Evil 4 is a FPS.

That is, it's totally not though.

That said, Bioshock and Left 4 Dead are the only games in forever in actual first person that I've liked. Left 4 Dead particularly defies all logic because, given the core attributes of this game, I should totally hate it. It's short to cash in on the multiplayer with less effort, it's a FPS, it's generic zombie crap, it has no storyline whatsoever... and yet, I can't. Stop. Making. Sweet. Love. To. It.

I sorta liked that latest Metroid game, just because FPSs are more fun with the Wiimote. I 'unno.

Requiem
12-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Yeah, I actually forgot that Dead Space was a TPS. Still, I imagine this thread was about shooters, seeing as he mentioned TPS in his post.

.44 Magdalene
12-07-2008, 02:49 PM
But yeah, if anything pisses me off more than First Person Shooters, it's MMOs.

The problem with a FPS is that it's hard to make it versatile. You can't platform in a FPS without it sucking donkey balls. You can't drive in a FPS without it eating buffalo dumps. You can't really do anything in a FPS except shooting things without it just being totally ass queer.

Where's the best place to shoot things without having to worry about repercussions? War. Either real, historical wars, or fake wars with inoffensive alien forces. Either way, an FPS is pretty much forced at birth to fill a specific niche--there's not much else you can do with the genre without doing it wrong somehow. The best you can hope for is that the alien forces will actually stand out, the war will actually serve some purpose besides WE HATE HUMANS and that the character will actually be worth giving a fuck about.

Fox
12-07-2008, 02:59 PM
I really have to disagree with you entirely, Xero. I mean, my favorite current FPS is Halo 3, and I know that it's one of the least "diverse" of them all, but I still love playing it. Every game is different because you're playing different people, different maps, different weapons that you pick up, different applied skill levels. I mean, I get a great feeling after finding an invisible and a shotgun and going on a 4-person killing spree. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes I can make it happen. And that's what keeps it interesting: the mastering of the game and finding better and better people to play against.

Maybe you just have no attention span, like most of the population.

And if you're going to complain about FPS, which is definitely the most popular format out today, then atleast suggest an alternative or some way to make it to your liking. There's nothing worse than a complainer without ideas.

.44 Magdalene
12-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Every game is different because you're playing different people, different maps, different weapons that you pick up, different applied skill levels. I mean, I get a great feeling after finding an invisible and a shotgun and going on a 4-person killing spree. It doesn't happen all the time, but sometimes I can make it happen. And that's what keeps it interesting: the mastering of the game and finding better and better people to play against.

Maybe you just have no attention span, like most of the population.

That describes almost every halfway decent multiplayer game ever made. That describes fighting games. That describes Buzz Quiz TV, for God's sake. That describes tabletop roleplaying. You can't argue that FPSs are particularly good because OMG IT'S A DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE EACH TIME--that's everything ever in the history of games that aren't just total balls. It doesn't mean every FPS isn't almost exactly the same, because they're all still roughly the same, and with almost identical experiences between them. Yes, you get a different feeling each time you play--but the feeling you described specifically is one that you can pick up from any number of games. I can name maybe ten games off the top of my head where I can random a map, grab weapons in odd places and kill people I've never met before.

Some people are just fucking tired of it. It's a different game each time only in the sense that you do different things with different people each time--fuck, Monoply's a little different each time I play it. I get different rolls and buy different places and play with different people. That doesn't make Marvel Monoply less stale than Monoply Gold Edition. Halo is still Doom is still Starseige is still Quake is still Unreal is still etc. Just because YOU CAN PLAY THEM ONLINE WITH DIFFERENT PEOPLE doesn't mean they're not all the same ass game.

Halo is particularly funny because it's the WoW of First Person Shooters. It took the best aspects of alot of FPSs, a few features that the genre should have had decades ago, and put it on a console--something not too many FPSs were doing at the time, thus making it more accessable than traditional FPSs. It's still the same damn game as every other FPS, just honed down to a fine sheen, polished and talked up to folks that wouldn't normally buy a PC and play Unreal Tournament.

.44 Magdalene
12-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Also, I'm completely confused about what Halo has to do with an attention span. I'm really, genuinely lost.

El Fangel
12-07-2008, 04:11 PM
You want a fun experience?

Doom 3, all the lights off, candles around your computer and surrond sound. I tell you man, it makes for some creepy shit.

Fignuts
12-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Good first person platforming, while rare, has been done. I would argue that the turok games, Metroid Prime series, Mirror's Edge, and too a lesser extent, half-life series all had very capable platforming.

Also, Fox, what in god's name were you thinking when you posted that?

Fignuts
12-07-2008, 04:12 PM
You want a fun experience?

Doom 3, all the lights off, candles around your computer and surrond sound. I tell you man, it makes for some creepy shit.

Do that with any silent hill or fatal frame, and it's creepier.

.44 Magdalene
12-07-2008, 04:20 PM
I'll say that Metroid Prime and Turok were both good, but the quality of their platforming is debatable. Better than usual? Yes. Is it still a big jerkenhoff to jump when I have to choose between being aware of my feet and seeing where I'm going? Also yes.

And yeah, SH and/or FF >>>>>>>>> Doom. Sorry. Doom's great and all, but... the creepy factor has been cooked to perfection by a little place down the street.

El Fangel
12-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Do that with any silent hill or fatal frame, and it's creepier.

Dually noted. Also I think Dead Space would be a good candidtate for that, I love making a creepy atmosphere for horror games, adds so much to it.

El Fangel
12-07-2008, 04:26 PM
Never said that Doom was the king of creepy, but there are more then a few times I jumped when I wasnt expected that fucking imp out of no where and the evil laughter.

Requiem
12-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah.. Dead Space was 32425345 times scarier than Doom. The environment in that game flat out made me want to piss myself. Playing with surround sound, on a 46" LCD with the lights out. Pretty much the most horrifying thing ever. You actually hear things behind you.. off to the side.. You hear every little groan and creak of the place.. things rattling around in the vents.. groans of monsters in the distance. Fuck, even the music served to scare the shit out of me.

They'd do things like put a crate in a bathroom.. well, you'd walk into the bathroom, and it would be all dark.. The music gets all eerie, and you stomp on the crate to break it open, and suddenly the music kicks in and two puny little shithead things jump on your back from inside the crate and freak the fuck out of you. There wasn't even a chance you could die, but it still scared the piss out of you.

Doom wasn't really genuinely scary.. shit just popped out of nowhere, and spawned from nothing. In Dead Space, you actually knew where shit came from. That fucking regenerating bitch would jump into vents, and then pop out of another while you were in the next room. They would do that crap all the time and I never knew where they were going to come from next, cause there were vents all over.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Dead Space was the reason I've always wanted EA to do good games again. Good game + EA's production values is just great. Shame this and mirrors edge sold badly :(