PDA

View Full Version : Prince of Persia

Requiem
12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
The new one just released I think, and it looks absolutely amazing. Got some really nice reviews. Anyone played it yet?

In preparation, I decided to download Warrior Within and Two Thrones. It is coming out on PC too, so I am pumped since I don't own a next gen.

Also, talk about how amazing this series is.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-05-2008, 10:48 AM
It's great, but it's far too easy. I'm not talking the infinite lives thing, just a pure difficulty standpoint.

I'm 75% through and died, like, twice.

I hate Warrior Within :( The other 2 in that trilogy were awesome.

ClockShot
12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Last night my job called and spoiled my night playing this, so I'm gonna get cracking on it tonight. I beat the 1st and 3rd games, but never got around to finshing off Warrior Within. However, the last 100 yards in Sands of Time has got to be one of the most aggervating things in gaming history.

Got this from gamestop and the limited edition is pretty sweet. Also like what their doing and adding in free in-game stuff when you pre-order games from them.

Requiem
12-05-2008, 11:28 AM
Having some problems running Warrior Within right now. Apparently, my PC is too good.. because everything is sped up like crazy. Sped up, to the point where I hardly know what's going on. :mad:

Can't find any information on it either, so I'm kinda pissed that I can't play. Guess I might have to just skip ahead to Two Thrones instead.

Funky Fly
12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
lol

Boomer
12-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Just play Godsmack while you play Two Thrones.

Requiem
12-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Ok, fixed the problem. Pretty lame, but apparently it was a problem related to dual cores. Have to do something every time I start the game, but whatever.

Funky Fly
12-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Explain please?

Requiem
12-05-2008, 03:08 PM
I guess there is an issue with some older games, and dual core processors, where in order to fix it.. every time i start the game, I have to alt+tab out, ctrl+alt+delete, go to processes.. and set the affinity of the game to CPU 0 only. It is set by default to 0 and 1.. just have to uncheck the 1. Pretty simple to do, but annoying. Guess there is supposed to have been a fix from microsoft for a long time but they never have. Dunno..

Funky Fly
12-05-2008, 03:18 PM
I see. So you run at double speed from having 2 processors.

#BROKEN Hasney
12-05-2008, 03:21 PM
Have you got AMD? I swear the dual-core optimizer fixes that if you do

Requiem
12-12-2008, 01:24 AM
I am really liking this new Prince of Persia. Took me forever to download, but I am loving it. The combat was pretty easy to get the hang of, and it's pretty fast paced when you're just running around. A lot of people I guess have complained about the not being able to die thing, but IMO it just gets rid of a lot of the frustration. It keeps the game flowing nicely, and it's pretty much just like the time manipulation from before except automatic and never runs out.

Boomer
12-12-2008, 03:30 AM
Just beat it. It isn't as good as the previous trilogy (ok yes its better than the second one), but it's good.

I will go ahead and say that I basically gained more love for this game in the last 30 minutes. Everything that happens in the end, I agree with. I feel like the game should have had more emotional ties like the ending does. It makes the story much more fantastic.

However, after playing this, I really wish they would have done something off-the-wall different with the series. This is still very close to the trilogy in how it plays. I know it sounds a bit ridiculous, but I would love to eventually see this series in a platformer-RPG kind of way. Just a thought.

Oh and this platforming is by far better than Mirror's Edge, but still had its problems. Mostly with the Yellow and Green pad hit-detection stuff for me. I managed...I only yelled at the game 10-15 times or so...which is pretty good for me and games lately.

Fryza
12-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Okay, ledge behind me. Press 'A' and we're good to go...

Okay, he shimmied to the other side... And I'm falling into a canyon. Awesome, way to go Prince.

Requiem
12-12-2008, 11:26 AM
The hardest part for me right now is when it tells me to press a certain button during a fight. I am playing it on PC, and the whole color coding thing messes with me. I imagine it would be pretty easy on 360, where the buttons are actually the color they're telling you to press.

Slowly getting used to that though.

Boomer
12-12-2008, 11:30 AM
The fighting in either series isn't particularly good. I'm really not a fan of only facing one at a time in this one, nor am I a fan of the parts where the enemy keeps giving you quick time events back-to-back-to-back-to-back without any way of damaging them in the process.

Requiem
12-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Huh? I loved the fighting in the other series. It was pretty fluid, you could go from target to target.. the acrobatics added something cool. The slowing things down was cool. Always loved it.

On another similar note, I kind of like the way they went with this one. Where, instead of fighting groups of people, you're fighting more difficult one on one battles. Some of the boss battles so far have been pretty cool.

Boomer
12-12-2008, 11:50 AM
I would agree that the switching from enemies was very simple and the acrobatics were very very fun, but the fighting was far from deep. I would just end up doing the same combo over and over to most enemies, and it basically worked the entire game.

I have always praised God of War for its fighting system, and I think the former Prince of Persia series could have learned a few things from it. For being able to combine the simplicity to learn and use the system while still giving it depth for players to explore, it was light years (in my opinion) better than PoP. You had to worry a whole lot more about what attacks you used on certain enemies, and you could deal with lots of enemies with the same attack (where PoP always made you attack one enemy, and you might occasionally hit another in the process).

Kane Knight
12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Haven't played it. Looks good. Sounds like it lives up to that.

Requiem
12-12-2008, 01:36 PM
I would agree that the switching from enemies was very simple and the acrobatics were very very fun, but the fighting was far from deep. I would just end up doing the same combo over and over to most enemies, and it basically worked the entire game.

I have always praised God of War for its fighting system, and I think the former Prince of Persia series could have learned a few things from it. For being able to combine the simplicity to learn and use the system while still giving it depth for players to explore, it was light years (in my opinion) better than PoP. You had to worry a whole lot more about what attacks you used on certain enemies, and you could deal with lots of enemies with the same attack (where PoP always made you attack one enemy, and you might occasionally hit another in the process).

Um. Prince of Persia.. all three from that trilogy, were released before God of War. Can't really learn anything from a game that wasn't out yet. I think Two Thrones came out the same year as God of War.. so again, can't really learn anything.

But nah, I kinda see what you are saying. But then again, they are hack n' slash platformers.

I dunno. I love God of War, but they are two different types of games and their combat styles are good for their game and not the other. God of War is really just a button mashing game. Basically just keep pushing buttons and hope you continue hitting things. Yeah you could use the other attacks, but you didn't need to. It works, because of their weapons and how the game plays. PoP is the opposite. It's something where timed attacks matter, getting around blocks, and timing blocks matters. They are both great in their own way, but I think they should stay their own way.

Also, the new PoP game has far better (IMO) combat than God of War. I love this single enemy combat, because fights come out looking somewhat cinematic. The boss fights have thus far been pretty interesting (I'm not even very far). The game itself reminds me a lot of Shadow of the Collosus, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

ClockShot
12-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I'm almost done with it. I'll give it another go through and grab all the hard trophys I missed or can't get during the first go through.

Boomer
12-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Um. Prince of Persia.. all three from that trilogy, were released before God of War. Can't really learn anything from a game that wasn't out yet. I think Two Thrones came out the same year as God of War.. so again, can't really learn anything.

But nah, I kinda see what you are saying. But then again, they are hack n' slash platformers.

I dunno. I love God of War, but they are two different types of games and their combat styles are good for their game and not the other. God of War is really just a button mashing game. Basically just keep pushing buttons and hope you continue hitting things. Yeah you could use the other attacks, but you didn't need to. It works, because of their weapons and how the game plays. PoP is the opposite. It's something where timed attacks matter, getting around blocks, and timing blocks matters. They are both great in their own way, but I think they should stay their own way.

Also, the new PoP game has far better (IMO) combat than God of War. I love this single enemy combat, because fights come out looking somewhat cinematic. The boss fights have thus far been pretty interesting (I'm not even very far). The game itself reminds me a lot of Shadow of the Collosus, which is one of my favorite games of all time.

Yeah my fault on not checking the dates for GoW, but you got my point.

As for the boss fights, they don't change. They are all basically the same boss, with one minor difference changing how the fight progresses. That got old for me...fast. The end boss is what I was looking for all game...that's what really turned this game around for me.

And these fights aren't nearly as epic as Shadow of the Collosus. I'm not a huge fan of that comparison. I could give you the final boss, but that's about it.

Requiem
12-12-2008, 04:34 PM
I didn't say it was just like it. I said it reminds me a lot of it.

Just the world mainly. It has a lot of the same feel to it to me, because of just traveling from place to place. While the boss fights aren't as epic, the world itself is way more epic feeling. Glad to know the last boss isn't disappointing though. I'm not even halfway through yet.. probably not even 1/3, just looking at where I still have to go.

Edit: Basically, for a PS2 game, Shadow of the Colossus was beautiful. The sheer size of everything, and the environments (at the time, obv) were great. That, combined with pretty much only boss fights, or boss style fights, does remind me of it, even if the combat doesn't.

Requiem
12-14-2008, 02:11 AM
Wow. Just beat the game. I don't know what it was, but I absolutely loved the ending. Honestly this game is 50 times the game that Warrior Within and Two Thrones were, and I'd say it rivals Sands of Time in the story department.

Boomer
12-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Now you know why I wanted the feeling the end boss and subsequent ending gave to span the whole game.

ClockShot
12-17-2008, 11:09 AM
Just finished this off. Been a good while since I've seen a game go that route for an ending. Probably start my second playthrough in the near future to get the harder trophies.

ClockShot
01-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Ubisoft announces Epilogue downloadble content. Gonna be released Feb. 26.

New area, boss, and attack to be added. No word on a price yet.

Exyle
01-29-2009, 06:32 PM
I was just browsing this thread, and thought I'd add a little something for the people having trouble with their dual cores.

The same kinds of things were going on with my machine on certain games, and the same solution--set the affinity to one processor or the other. However, I have found a fix that's working brilliantly for me.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

Read through the information; see if it might apply to your machine, too. Fixed everything for mine.