PDA

View Full Version : Florida Championship Wrestling

loopydate
12-08-2008, 01:43 AM
So, I just discovered that one of my local stations carries FCW on Saturday nights. I just watched the last two weeks' worth (DVRed last week and didn't get a chance to see it), and it's actually pretty good. I mean, it's basically a glorified indy, but they put on a good show. There's some real talent there (which I would hope, since they're WWE's developmental territory).

A lot of good old-school storytelling. There was a very good tag match on this week pitting the Stampede Bulldogs against Scotty Goldman and Carson Oakley. It was pretty traditional stuff, but it was the sort of traditional tag team wrestling you don't see much of anymore. I was watching it with my roommate, and she's not a wrestling fan at all. Once she got back the ridiculousness that is TJ Wilson's haircut, she got way into it because they were telling a great story.

Sheamus O'Shaughnessey and Joe Hennig have been having a pretty sweet series of matches, and next week, they have a match for Sheamus' Florida Heavyweight Title. Dusty Rhodes is their color commentator, and he and Josh Mathews have been doing an incredible job of playing up the history of that belt, and it makes both guys look like a million bucks. Sheamus looks about ready to be called up, and Hennig will be if he can tone up a little. He throws a mean Perfectplex, though.

Cena cameoed last week, doing a run-in to save somebody (don't remember who, unfortunately) from a beat-down. And for the first time in a long time, I actually marked out for Cena. He wasn't overbooked, he just came out, put over the FCW babyfaces, and left. Plus, it made the heels look good, because they were kicking ass and it took freaking John Superman Cena to run them off. Excellent way to utilize the biggest star in the industry to put your own guys over.

I've been really impressed with what I've seen over the last two weeks, and I'm thinking about seeing if they have any tech positions open. Yeah, I got shafted last time I worked for an indy promotion, but UCW wasn't affiliated with WWE, and Steve Keirn and Dusty don't seem like the type to fuck me over on payment like Brian Maday was.

Anyway, has anybody else seen them? Any thoughts?

Juan
12-08-2008, 01:46 AM
I've always been interested in watching, but here where I live, I think it's pretty much impossible.

Juan
12-08-2008, 02:19 AM
In fact, I've always wanted to be able to watch WWE's developmental feds, but like I said, here in California, it's not gonna happen anytime soon :(

CSL
12-08-2008, 04:54 AM
I wouldn't mind watching, just to see how the british guys come across and the difference in their work now

Edit: And I'm guessing this is the Cena bit

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FSVr1PcXs0w&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FSVr1PcXs0w&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Destor
12-08-2008, 09:38 AM
I was talking to a promoter last night that said he had come across it. I haven't seen it but I'm hearing REALLY good things. Gotsta find some.

Gertner
12-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I've heard that a problem with the tapings is that they show them out of sequence on television.