PDA

View Full Version : Discussion dose TNA make or just use old stars?

Rollermacka
12-14-2008, 11:21 AM
I know this idea sounds stupid but do you think TNA makes new stars or just uses the scraps of WWE, WCW, ECW? On the surface you can say "Nash, Sting, Booker T, Stiner... is this even a question?" but hink about this

AJ Styles- one of the bigger names in TNA. Started out in WCW as a part of Air Styles, do you think that AJ could have been a 2 time WCW world champ? He came to TNA built him up and he is still a potential challenger to the TNA world title.

Christian Cage & Tomko- I know that both of them are going back to the WWE but wheb they were both together could you honestly say they were main event material. Tonko went to Japan with A-Train and both of them greatly improved there in ring preformance and Christian became a TNA world champ.

R Truth & Jeff Hardy- I know that both of these guys are back in WWE but you cant say there time in TNA wasnt benificial to there careers. TNA took K Quick and made him a serious contender and even a world champ before he jumped ship right back to WWE. Same could be said about Hardy. They took him from tag team wrestler to a main event contender.

I mean there are a few more names I could think of Mailice (The Wall), Slash (Wolfe D), and brought up names like Samoa Joe, Abyss and you could even say Matt Morgan.

hb2k
12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Jeff Hardy didn't gain anything by being in TNA, ditto Christian. Tomko improved in Japan and TNA did barely anything with him. R Truth could have been a great heel for TNA but instead they turned him into the same K Kwik he was before. Slash is a nobody, The Wall meant barely anything in TNA.

AJ, Joe and Abyss are TNA commodities, and that's only because they've been there a long time, and they're not exactly the centerpieces - AJ alternates between the man and the goofy hick moron depending on Vince Russo's mood, Joe went from badass and TNA savior to waste of opportunity and now a complaining pissant that the fans don't care about, and Abyss is just kinda there, falling on thumb tacks to an ever decreasing reaction...

DrA
12-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Scott Steiner, Sting, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Raven, Jeff Jarrett, Jeff Hardy, Pacman Jones, Booker T, Kurt Angle, Christian, Gail Kim. TNA has made their fair share of stars.

Xero
12-14-2008, 01:40 PM
The only ones TNA has truly "made" (in that even a relativity casual fan could probably name them and they wouldn't have a hard time fitting in the upper card of WWE) are AJ Styles and Samoa Joe. Everyone else either isn't in the "made" category or were "made" in WWE/WCW/ECW.

A good portion of the roster could be in the "made" category by now if they didn't concentrate on getting and pushing name value and instead of pushing based on talent.

screech
12-14-2008, 01:46 PM
AJ and Joe could be big stars in TNA, but too much time is devoted to the "washed up" stars (Sting, Steiner, etc.). The main storyline is at least doing something with the main TNA wrestlers, but not much now. On a side note, actually two: ODB has no business being in the Front Line, and that group has way too many people. Oh and Consequences Creed sucks.

Joe was on track to become the man in the company, but now he's just a fat piece of crap who does nothing but whine. No one cares anymore. No one has cared since he won the title, or you could say since he became face (that's when I stopped caring).

AJ could be big, but as hb2k said, he alternates between being awesome and being a dumb shit. Plus, his promos are unbearable. Not as bad as Joe, but still crap.

Can't really say the same for Abyss. I don't think he could ever be big in TNA. They told him to back off the gimmicky stuff because he was depending on it too much, but they didn't realize it was that gimmicky stuff that was getting him semi-over. I like Abyss, I really do, but when you take away his gimmick matches (tacks, chains, etc.), you take away the essence of Abyss. And when you do that, what do you have?

Rollermacka
12-14-2008, 02:19 PM
Can't really say the same for Abyss. I don't think he could ever be big in TNA. They told him to back off the gimmicky stuff because he was depending on it too much, but they didn't realize it was that gimmicky stuff that was getting him semi-over. I like Abyss, I really do, but when you take away his gimmick matches (tacks, chains, etc.), you take away the essence of Abyss. And when you do that, what do you have?

The sandman while he was on Raw? :shifty:

Xero
12-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Without Enter Sandman and hardcore matches Sandman was just a bum who wandered into the ring by chance.

Theo Dious
12-14-2008, 03:12 PM
The only ones TNA has truly "made" (in that even a relativity casual fan could probably name them and they wouldn't have a hard time fitting in the upper card of WWE) are AJ Styles and Samoa Joe.

"Hey, how about that Samoa Joe?"
"What, the fat guy from that TWA thing?"

...I assume that's about what you're getting at?

Xero
12-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Exactly.

You ask them who Robert Roode is and they'll look at you cockeyed and ask if he's "that guy who was in DX at the beginning's" son.

Kane Knight
12-14-2008, 04:25 PM
AJ Styles- Made

Christian Cage-Recycled, right down to his character for the most of his career in TNA.

& Tomko- Sorta both, actually.

R Truth & Jeff Hardy- Both are basically the same formula as Cage: Take the same basic idea from their WWE run and push them higher.

Mr. Nerfect
12-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Quite an interesting topic. I'm not going to endlessly defend TNA, but I think people underestimate the good they've done to this talent. Would the WWE have really re-hired Jeff Hardy and R-Truth if it weren't for their TNA stints? What about Tomko? Say what you want about him improving in Japan, his TNA run was very cool.

Christian got to prove he could hang with the main eventers in a company, and not look out of place. I think that will go a long way for his career, and will be something Cage rights a thank you letter to Jeff Jarrett for, one day.

As for AJ Styles? I consider him one of TNA's own. He was such modest player in WCW that it would almost be like attributing The Undertaker's success in the WWE to his run as "Mean" Mark.

El Fangel
12-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Christopher Daniels to some extent, never really made him per se, just got him in the spotlight.

El Fangel
12-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Christian got to prove he could hang with the main eventers in a company, and not look out of place. I think that will go a long way for his career, and will be something Cage rights a thank you letter to Jeff Jarrett for, one day.

Agree with your Christian remark, also I think a counter to it is something I want to ask.

Edge...would he have gotten as far if Christian didnt leave? Think about it, they fought over the IC title, which would put them about equal. Do you think Edge would have ever challenged for the WWE/World Title if Christian was still around to contend for it? Someone WWE apparently didnt think was Main event. It wouldnt make since if they were equal in fighting for the IC but not for the World/WWE Titles.

If you want an example, look at the Hardys. After Jeff left, Matt got a huge boost, having nice feuds and winning titles. Now look where we are at, Jeff has come back and is challenging for the WWE Title and Matt is a Brand Champion...If I told you this 10 years ago, I would still be in a straightjacket.

Does this mean that when (oh you know it will happen) Christian returns, that he will be pushed into the main event ala Jeff Hardy? It would be awesome. Also a Heel vs Heel feud between him and Edge would be orgasmic.

Xerzes
12-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Would the WWE have really re-hired Jeff Hardy and R-Truth if it weren't for their TNA stints?

Jeff yes, Killings no.

Vastardikai
12-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Edge...would he have gotten as far if Christian didnt leave? Think about it, they fought over the IC title, which would put them about equal. Do you think Edge would have ever challenged for the WWE/World Title if Christian was still around to contend for it? Someone WWE apparently didnt think was Main event. It wouldnt make since if they were equal in fighting for the IC but not for the World/WWE Titles.

The answer is yes. Edge was going over Ben... some guy, Kane, and was Mr. Money in the Bank while Christian was still in the 'E. They were planning on putting Edge on top for a while, but injuries kept getting in the way (Kurt Angle feud, anyone? How about the team with Hogan?). Christian SHOULD have been near the top, but they always pushed him as an afterthought. All the way up to and including dropping the ball on what should have been a money feud with Cena.

Not to mention the fact that Christian wasn't in Orlando when the Matt Hardy feud was going on. (aka the feud that MADE Edge a top heel.)