PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Years of WWE

Legend Killer
12-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Anyone have any years that they really enjoyed and didn't miss a single SmackDown, RAW, or Heat every week?

Dorkchop
12-25-2008, 08:54 PM
1998 was my favorite year. There were still bad gimmicks and lousy matches, but everything was so exciting. 1999 and 2000 were better years, but 1998 was more exciting for me because the WWF were growing so quickly.

thedamndest
12-25-2008, 08:57 PM
I will say 1999 when I was watching it, but now I'd just as much like to watch something from 1989.

Xero
12-25-2008, 09:00 PM
For me I'd say it was 1998-2002. Watched pretty much everything. After that it started to dwindle.

Though I never really made it a habit to watch Heat. Just once in a while.

DaVe
12-25-2008, 09:03 PM
1998 for Austin. 1999 comes next. 2000 had a totally different feel due to the loss of Austin and Taker, so I wasn't as into it, but still loved it.

Jeritron
12-25-2008, 09:04 PM
You're probably going to get 1998-2001 or something like that from pretty much everyone on here. Perhaps you'll get a few respectable darkhorses referencing the early 90s with Flair, Perfect, Piper and Hart

Legend Killer
12-25-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd have to say 2001, I think I ordered every Pay-Per View that year.

Royal Rumble- Austin wins 3rd Rumble, Angle VS Trips, Jericho VS Benoit Ladder match

No Way Out- Austin VS Trips 2 out of 3 falls

Wrestlemania 17- My all time favorite Mania

Backlash- Taker and Kane VS Austin and Trips

Judgment Day- Benoit and Angle 2 out of 3 Falls

King of the Ring- Angle wrestles 3 matches in cluding his street fight against Shane

Invasion- RVD wins Hardcore Championship

Summerslam- Angle VS Austin

Unforgiven- " " same as Summerslam

No Mercy- Edge Vs Christian Ladder Match IC title

Survivor Series- Not a bad match on the card

Vengeance- Jericho becomes 1st Undisputed Champion

Such a great year for Big Matches

DaveWadding
12-25-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm gonna go with 1991-1992.

Legend Killer
12-25-2008, 09:32 PM

Explain please. 1991 was one of my favorite Rumbles, I may add.

Jeritron
12-26-2008, 12:52 AM
I think the first half of 2001 was one of the most incredible 6 month spans in WWE, or shit, wrestling history.
However, the last 6 months really took the wind out of the sails for me. In a complete reversal, it was one of the most dissapointing.

I can't say the last half of 2001 "sucked", because it didn't. There was great talent to watch and some great great matches week in and week out. Pound for pound, it was better than what we get these days and in recent history.
The problem is that it was booked clumbsily and a misfire of massive proportions. Amazing rosters and matchups. Jericho, Angle, and RVD were at their PEAKS in terms of being on the cusp of monumental stardom. Too bad them and the potential storylines of the time didn't come to fruition...it would have been my favorite year ever by far.

thedamndest
12-26-2008, 12:54 AM
When did the Invasion start?

Fox
12-26-2008, 01:01 AM
definitely 2003 for me. :cool:

:shifty:

Theo Dious
12-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, in spite of a lot of less-than-steller goings on in 2001, it was a year of excellent PPVs that really delivered. I also very much enjoyed 04-05, though that had less to do with the product and more to do with the fact that I had a lot of people back then willing to watch and discuss it. Really though I don't think I've ever enjoyed wrestling more than I did in my early days in 91-92.

BobBitchen
12-26-2008, 10:33 PM
1996-2003

Pretty much from the formation of DX to the rock leaving.

also a close second 1978-1986

when WWWF Championship Wrestling was on. I was 7-14.Watched every week.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/WWWF-Championship-Wrestling

WWWF Championship Wrestling
WWWF Championship Wrestling was the original TV show of the WWWF. Championship Wrestling featured all the stars of the WWWF, interviews and championship matches. This was when it was a territory for the National Wrestling Alliance. The show lasted from 1978-1986. World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. ... The National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) is a group of independent professional wrestling promotions which has been in operation since 1948. ... 1978 (MCMLXXVIII) was a common year starting on Sunday. ... 1986

This show introduced Piper's Pit hosted by Rowdy Roddy Piper, and in late 1983 Hulk Hogan made his return to the World Wrestling Federation by appearing on this show after spending time with the AWA Roderick George Toombs , best known by his stage name of Rowdy Roddy Piper, is a Canadian professional wrestler of Scottish descent. ...

AKin3D
12-26-2008, 10:40 PM
1996-2003

Pretty much from the formation of DX to the rock leaving.

More or less about the same.

Though I missed a PPV live once or twice, because of power outages. I swear for like 3 years right before a PPV power outage.:mad:

Rammsteinmad
12-27-2008, 01:32 AM
2002. Obviously it was when things started to go downhill, but the actual in-ring action, especially on Smackdown after the brand split, was all top notch.

DaveWadding
12-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Explain please. 1991 was one of my favorite Rumbles, I may add.

Why?

Rumble 91 was great.
Wrestlemania was subpar, but not terrible (bomb threats :rofl: )
Summerslam 91 has IMO the greatest match of at least the 1990s and probably my favorite all time (Hart/Perfect IC Title)
Survivor Series had Taker winning the belt.

and look at the talent level here...honestly.

Hogan (as a draw), Savage, Flair, Piper, Taker, Hart, Perfect, DiBiase, Steamboat, Warrior, Tornado, Rockers, Demolition, LOD...on and on and on.

1992:

The Rumble is obviously a stone cold classic.
Wrestlemania had at least two 4+ star matches (Hart/Piper, Flair/Savage) although Hogan/Vince pussied out of what everyone WANTED to see, it ended up for the better.
Summerslam 92 in Wembley had that awesome Davey/Bret match and a not shabby Savage/Warrior title match
Survivor Series 92 had Savage and Perfect against Flair and newcomer Razor Ramon and a foreshadowing of things to come with a Bret/Shawn main event.

So much talent, so many great matches. Deep, rich tag division. Above average written storylines. Lots of all timers in their prime. Just amazing.

Anybody Thrilla
12-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Wadding is spot on. 1992 is my favorite year of wrestling of all time. I was still pretty much a mark then too (I was 9 years old), so it all was just giving me a different feeling than it did as I got older.

Another fantastic match from that year that Dave didn't mention was Shawn Michaels' first Intercontinental title victory over the British Bulldog at Saturday Night's Main Event, which was the first match that I ever recall using the removing of a turnbuckle pad. Absolutely fantastic match that really made it look like Michaels was becoming a big star.

The Franchise
12-29-2008, 07:39 PM
I was completely hooked on the WWE in 2000. I watched RAW every week and asked my dad to get UPN solely for Smackdown. He said no. :( I loved everything about 2000. It's probably my favorite year in WWE history. While there was very few 4-star or higher classic matches, I was never entertained more by a program. I loved the main-event scene, and being a mark back then it made it all the more unpredictable. I was a big Rock, Chris Jericho and Too Cool fan. Edge and Christian were hilarious, Kurt Angle was very entertaining and seeing Stone Cold come back to help The Rock beat Triple H at Backlash is one of my fondest wrestling memories. I loved all the little stuff in 2000. I think this was the year where the WWE as a whole had the highest quality of mic-work, promos and entertaining comedy segments. With Rock, Jericho, Angle, E&C, Triple H at the top, it was just good shit week after week. I found JR and The King to be at the top of their games, was not tired of Vince and co yet, and who can forget all those little cluster fuck matches that always turned into giant brawls with the crowd going insane. Rock/Foley & Too Cool vs DX and The Radicals comes to mind with Rock and Foley kicking ass DURING Too Cool's entrance so there is a big brawl going on in the ring while the lights are flickering.

Fuck, I loved 2000. 2001 was pretty good too but not as consistent. The highs and lows of 2001 and 2002 probably beat 2000. Wrestlemania 17 and 18 with their build up was great. 2001 slowed down post-Mania and didn't pick up until the inVasion for me. The only other time period where I have been constantly hooked on the WWE was probably late 97/early 98 and late 2004/early 2005.

Anybody Thrilla
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
2001 had the potential to be the greatest thing ever, but that damn InVasion angle was so poorly booked. I know it's seven years old, but I swear to shit, a person must have really been TRYING to fuck up in order to do so the way the WWE did with that angle. I'm still mad about it.

I did go to the InVasion PPV though and have a great time....but STILL. FUCK.

The Franchise
12-29-2008, 07:49 PM
Yeah, like there was a tonne of good stuff in it but come on, it could have been wayyyyyy better.

Anybody Thrilla
12-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I do remember marking the FUCK out when ECW originally came into the picture.

Jordan
12-29-2008, 07:52 PM
96/97/98

HBK was on, Austin was kicking SO much ass, the Rock was genius, the Undertaker and Kane were scary, Foley was funny, McMahon was amazing in his feud with Austin... For me that was awesome.

However I think the most solid time in WWE history was when Heyman was booking Smackdown! So many amazing matches... I think you had Angle, Benoit, Edge, Eddie, Brock, and even Hogan had some great moments (his match with Brock was great).

The Franchise
12-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Oh yeah, the Smackdown 6. Smackdown was HOT SHIT in late 2002/early 2003, too bad RAW was so fucking horrendous other than Hollywood Rock and Jericho/Michaels.

Haze
12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Besides the Monday Night Wars era, I would agree with the Heyman's Smackdown! era. That was the only time post coming to the internet wrestling sites that I actually marked out for things going on, (i.e. Lesnar and Big Show breaking the ring, or Angle and Lesnar's feud into Wrestlemania.

Legend Killer
12-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Why?

Rumble 91 was great.
Wrestlemania was subpar, but not terrible (bomb threats :rofl: )
Summerslam 91 has IMO the greatest match of at least the 1990s and probably my favorite all time (Hart/Perfect IC Title)
Survivor Series had Taker winning the belt.

and look at the talent level here...honestly.

Hogan (as a draw), Savage, Flair, Piper, Taker, Hart, Perfect, DiBiase, Steamboat, Warrior, Tornado, Rockers, Demolition, LOD...on and on and on.

1992:

The Rumble is obviously a stone cold classic.
Wrestlemania had at least two 4+ star matches (Hart/Piper, Flair/Savage) although Hogan/Vince pussied out of what everyone WANTED to see, it ended up for the better.
Summerslam 92 in Wembley had that awesome Davey/Bret match and a not shabby Savage/Warrior title match
Survivor Series 92 had Savage and Perfect against Flair and newcomer Razor Ramon and a foreshadowing of things to come with a Bret/Shawn main event.

So much talent, so many great matches. Deep, rich tag division. Above average written storylines. Lots of all timers in their prime. Just amazing.

Hogan was a pussy. I agree.

Juan
01-01-2009, 01:41 PM
1991-2001

SuperSlim
01-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I know for me I liked the beginning of 2004 with Benoit's push to the title, But I also liked 2003... but I think if I had to pick an entire year it would probably have to be 2001.

steveironcity
01-01-2009, 03:33 PM
1990-1991

Sensei Of Mattitude
01-02-2009, 12:49 PM

exactly... you said it perfect