PDA

View Full Version : Will Randy Orton punt his way into immortality?

James Steele
12-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Will Randy Boreton become known as one of the greatest...EVER?!?!

The Franchise
12-28-2008, 01:53 PM
No?

James Steele
12-28-2008, 01:57 PM
I was just thinking that Randy Orton and John Cena are the biggest stars of the past 6 years...and it just seems kind of underwhelming.

The Franchise
12-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Don't forget Batista!! :|

The Franchise
12-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Remember how people said The Rock sucked in 1998 but he was awesome two years later in 2000. Remember how people said Cena sucks in 2005 and how he'll be awesome later on like The Rock? It's 2009 in three days.

Lock Jaw
12-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Those who were big when wrestling was big (Hogan, Rock, Austin) will be immortal, while those who are big when wrestling is down will not be seen as on that level.

Johnny Vegas
12-28-2008, 02:15 PM
When it comes to "immortal", i think that you have to stick out. Randy Orton is one of my favorite wrestlers right now, but nothing "sticks out" about him (other than some of his signature moves which are pretty sweet).

Example. The Rock wasn't the most technically sound wrestler, but he entertained on the mic and in the ring with his moves. Same goes for Austin, Hogan, and Flair (though a better wrestler than all three). I think what is lacking in wrestling these days is that matches are up-tempo and seem to be taken as "just another match". When Austin, Rock, Flair, etc used to get in the ring, they captured you.

In this day, the only person that has that type of "hype" in their matches is Cena. Orton, imo, works better as a hell because he slows down his matches so the opponent has to come down to his level. I don't know if wrestling is that technical or advanced, but that is what i see. As a face, i don't think he'll be as big if he doesn't use more energy and charisma in his matches.

P.S. You notice how Evan Bourne matches get great responses, Jeff Hardy's matches get good responses, etc. Batista's matches aren't that great anymore (nothing against him), HHH's matches are still ok, but he's always been a "feed-off" wrestler to me (someone who needs someone just as good as him or so to put on a GREAT match), Orton just isn't doing it for me right now but his out-of-the-ring stuff is good.

The Franchise
12-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Those who were big when wrestling was big (Hogan, Rock, Austin) will be immortal, while those who are big when wrestling is down will not be seen as on that level.

What about Bret Hart?

Lock Jaw
12-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Nope, Bret is not "immortal".

And before Narcissus asks, my personal definition of immortal is that they have transcended to a higher plane of cultural makeup and have become household names, even to those who have never watched wrestling.

The Franchise
12-28-2008, 03:08 PM
That is true, my boss was pissing a few co-workers off the other day and we are all like, remember Stone Cold kicking his boss' ass? That was the shit.

Legend Killer
12-28-2008, 04:21 PM

It was only big to us because that was our time to watch wrestling, today's audience roots for Cena, ours were Hogan, Stone Cold, and The Rock.

However, will Orton go down as one of the greatest of all time? Well let's look at his credentials...

Youngest World Champion Ever.
Was part of Evolution, which featured THE GREATEST of ALL TIME (Ric Flair).
His Dad's Legacy in Wrestlemania (There Will Be Disagreement).
WWE Champion.
Intercontinental Champion.
Soon-To-Be 2009 Royal Rumble Winner.
His history of "Killing" and "Punting" Legends.

thedamndest
12-28-2008, 04:43 PM
It's still to early to tell. He's perfected his gimmick (BTW, I would love to see him punt his dad) but he still needs great face opponents to be remembered. As long as he keeps facing Batista or Cena, it probably won't happen. Cena especially, since the crowd wants to boo the shit out of him. An Orton/Edge program would be interesting.

Legend Killer
12-28-2008, 04:44 PM
It's still to early to tell. He's perfected his gimmick (BTW, I would love to see him punt his dad) but he still needs great face opponents to be remembered. As long as he keeps facing Batista or Cena, it probably won't happen. Cena especially, since the crowd wants to boo the shit out of him. An Orton/Edge program would be interesting.

Like if he was to actually retire Taker or HBK?

thedamndest
12-28-2008, 04:46 PM
That would do it. Hell, even putting him in a program with Rey Rey would probably be better than Cena or Bats at this point.

Mr. Nerfect
12-28-2008, 11:15 PM
It was only big to us because that was our time to watch wrestling, today's audience roots for Cena, ours were Hogan, Stone Cold, and The Rock.

However, will Orton go down as one of the greatest of all time? Well let's look at his credentials...

Youngest World Champion Ever.
Was part of Evolution, which featured THE GREATEST of ALL TIME (Ric Flair).
His Dad's Legacy in Wrestlemania (There Will Be Disagreement).
WWE Champion.
Intercontinental Champion.
Soon-To-Be 2009 Royal Rumble Winner.
His history of "Killing" and "Punting" Legends.

Yeah, those are his credentials, but you can't become "immortal" with a resume. People have to choose that status for you. Orton is just not at that level yet. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think he'll achieve it, either. There's just nothing "outstanding" about him.

Bret Hart can at least say he was a guest star on The Simpsons. Hell, whenever a friend busts out the worm dancing at a party, people make references to Scotty 2 Hotty. Never heard a Randy Orton reference. It has nothing to do with how he is being booked. He's like a three-time World Champion, so the answer has to lie within himself.

He's getting a lot better. I never thought Orton would be able to play a conceivable bad-ass, but he is doing it well. If only he had been able to channel that in 2004, when he needed it. But yeah, we'll see how he goes, aye?

Lux
12-28-2008, 11:48 PM
Will Randy Boreton become known as one of the greatest...EVER?!?!

Really?? Back to the "basics" I see. You bitches are never satisfied, much like most women.

Xero
12-28-2008, 11:52 PM
There are only a handful of wrestlers I'd call "Immortal". Bruno, Flair, Hogan, Austin, Rock, Bret Hart...

But Orton? Never. The only one from this era who is possible is Cena, and I stress "possible".

Could I see him going into the Hall of Fame? Absolutely, he does have a decent resume and WWE has inducted for a lot less. But he's about as "immortal" as Mr. Perfect is.

I'd put him on the second tier, though, in that most true wrestling fans will remember him.

Mr. Nerfect
12-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Really?? Back to the "basics" I see. You bitches are never satisfied, much like most women.

Come on, Lux. It's not that hard to satisfy a woman.

At least he didn't bust out the double-pun alliteration special, "Blandy Boreton."

GD
12-29-2008, 02:31 AM
Yesterday I was watching his HIAC match with Taker and he looked huge!!