PDA

View Full Version : Should Randy Orton Drop the IC belt until he is finished with Foley?

faust34
03-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Ok this sounds stupid at first, but I just feel as of late the IC belt has been wasted on Randy Orton. Don't get me wrong, I like his character and believe he is on the same path as the Rock was when he was in the nation. I have just felt that he won the title a bit prematurely. Since he has won the title, the title has taken a backseat to him Fueding with Mick Foley. I know that he had a supposed match where he put the title on the line versus Mick, but that was canceled. Since then the belt hasn't been defended much, and isn't really much of a focal role anymore. I mean Randy went over Mick at WM XX and might Job to him at Backlash. I think that's a bad possibility because it will make the IC title once again weaker. I just feel at the moment the title could be sought after by some guys that aren't in a big name angle, perhaps Christian, Jericho, hell even Kane or Edge?

What do you guys think ?

Rock Bottom
03-25-2004, 03:11 PM
That IC title is being used as a trophy for Orton right now to try and add to the credibility he's getting, I think. I'm sure he'll defend it when he's done with Foley. But yeah, titles are starting to mean less and less.

CBright7831
03-25-2004, 03:14 PM
His last on-air title defense was against Val Venis, I believe.

faust34
03-25-2004, 03:20 PM
His last title defense was against Val Venis, I believe.

But thats what I mean, Val was pure filler. he had about as much chance to win that title as Rhyno did last monday.

ilt_undertaker
03-25-2004, 03:31 PM
<font color=Silver>I forgot Orton had the IC belt :$. But anyways, maybe the belt could go to Edge ( :mad: ), Kane or Christian</font>

Samurai_Star_Sailor
03-25-2004, 03:33 PM
i think they should drop the intercontinental belt completey for the simple fact that they could bring in a higher level title. drop the womens title as well

StrongMad
03-25-2004, 03:36 PM
I think I'm also getting sick of him not defending his title. I mean WMXX and no title defense? wtf is that?

ilt_undertaker
03-25-2004, 03:37 PM
<font color=Silver>If he were still on RAW, i'd say that RICO! should get the title too :$

And the Women's belt shouldnt get dropped until JAZZ gets another title run :o</font>

ColdwaVer
03-25-2004, 03:41 PM
Personally I think Orton could have a decent feud with Shelton Benjamin. Beyond that, the IC title could have a shining future around the waists of Matt Hardy, Garrison Cade, Lance Storm, Rob Conway, Sylvan Grenier, and Taijiri.

Chances are WWE will fu</>ck it up by throwing A-Train into that mix too though. :rant:

Tony Montana
03-25-2004, 03:41 PM
I think Orton is a discrace to a title that was held by such greats as Razor Ramon. I think Edge will win the title in the not so distant future.

Mister Sinister
03-25-2004, 03:49 PM
Actually, Orton last Televised Title Defense wasn't against Val Venis, since that match was announced as a Non-Title Match, however his last Raw IC Title Defense was against Booker and RVD in a Triple Threat Match, which was the week before RVD and Booker won the Tag Belts from Batista and Flair

The CyNick
03-25-2004, 03:56 PM
The IC should, nay must stay on Randy Orton.

Assuming Foley and Orton go at it at the next PPV, Randy can put the title on the line, and Foley can talk about how he's going to take away Randy's most prized position. Obviously Foley will lose, and Orton will look like a champ. On top of that he will have the IC title, which will be elevated by being in this high profile feud. Orton can then move on to defend the title against whomever.

If you put the title on someone else it will move further down the card, why do that?

In terms of not defending the title very much. One of the things I think the WWE needs to get back to is makign title defenses (of any title) seem special. A heel especially should take advantage of the one defense in 30 days rule, and only defend it when he is forced to. That makes the struggle to get a title shot all the more important, and makes title defenses on PPVs seem like a big deal. When you have guys defending the title every week on TV it takes the title down and hurts the baility of the promotion to promote title matche son PPV.

PureHatred
03-25-2004, 04:01 PM
i think they should drop the intercontinental belt completey for the simple fact that they could bring in a higher level title.

What the hell does that mean? Historically, the IC title has been one of the more prestigious titles in wrestling and has been a launching pad for wrestlers to move to the top of the company. HBK, The Rock, Triple H, hell as far back as Randy Savage...all of these men had very credible reigns as the IC champ before moving to the World Title.

Like RB said, the IC belt is a trophy for Orton. At the end of his reign, the WWE will try to feed us that he held the IC title for 9 months or whatever even though he never defended it and that's their version of credibility. Instead of shoving Orton down our throats, the WWE should be elevating the title and Orton at the same time by having him defend it more often.

Loose Cannon
03-25-2004, 04:43 PM

Assuming Foley and Orton go at it at the next PPV, Randy can put the title on the line, and Foley can talk about how he's going to take away Randy's most prized position. Obviously Foley will lose, and Orton will look like a champ. On top of that he will have the IC title, which will be elevated by being in this high profile feud. Orton can then move on to defend the title against whomever.

If you put the title on someone else it will move further down the card, why do that?

In terms of not defending the title very much. One of the things I think the WWE needs to get back to is makign title defenses (of any title) seem special. A heel especially should take advantage of the one defense in 30 days rule, and only defend it when he is forced to. That makes the struggle to get a title shot all the more important, and makes title defenses on PPVs seem like a big deal. When you have guys defending the title every week on TV it takes the title down and hurts the baility of the promotion to promote title matche son PPV.

Good CyNick said just about everything I was going to say. All the Orton negativity in here is making me nautious btw.

BasicThuganomics
03-25-2004, 05:32 PM

You have a good point, but what do you think about Randy Orton defending the title against someone in the next week or two, and Foley interferes causing Orton to lose the title. I realize that this is kind of a predictable situation that we have seen in the past before, but it does have its advantages.

The fued will intensify between Orton and Foley. Orton can talk about how Foley screwed him out of the one thing that mattered the most to him, therefor making the title seem importanmt to him. Whoever he loses the title to would get a temorary rub at least until Orton gets the title back. The IC title could be defended at the next PPV, and after Orton is through with Foley, he can go back to tyring to win the IC title, and it is an easy way to explain a fued for Orton after he is done with Foley?

Your idea is good as always CyNick, but if my idea happened, do you think it would work out?

BasicThuganomics
03-25-2004, 05:33 PM
Good CyNick said just about everything I was going to say. All the Orton negativity in here is making me nautious btw.

dude, Orton sucks anyways... :p

jk!!!! :D

MVP
03-25-2004, 05:39 PM
But thats what I mean, Val was pure filler. he had about as much chance to win that title as Rhyno did last monday.The Orton/Venis match was a non-title.

WolfViper
03-25-2004, 06:37 PM
Randy Ortan just needs to lose that title and give it to someone else he is just using it as a trophy!

The CyNick
03-25-2004, 06:43 PM
You have a good point, but what do you think about Randy Orton defending the title against someone in the next week or two, and Foley interferes causing Orton to lose the title. I realize that this is kind of a predictable situation that we have seen in the past before, but it does have its advantages.

The fued will intensify between Orton and Foley. Orton can talk about how Foley screwed him out of the one thing that mattered the most to him, therefor making the title seem importanmt to him. Whoever he loses the title to would get a temorary rub at least until Orton gets the title back. The IC title could be defended at the next PPV, and after Orton is through with Foley, he can go back to tyring to win the IC title, and it is an easy way to explain a fued for Orton after he is done with Foley?

Your idea is good as always CyNick, but if my idea happened, do you think it would work out?

That could work, and if they are going to take the IC title off Orton they have to use that scenario because it would be dumb to have him drop the title without Foley being involved.

However I dont think superstar 'x' winning the IC title gives them any kind of rub. As of right now the IC title isn't really a big deal, its been damaged so much over the past 3 years or so that its nothing more than a prop. I think it does better for the title if Mick Foley, a WWE legend actually wants to win the title from Randy. Also, since the feud will be high profile people will see and hear segments with the IC title being in the middle. To me anyway, that makes the title seem more important. Then if you continue to build Orton as a top guy, who happens to be the IC title, again it makes the title seem more valuable.

There's no perfect way to book these kinds of things, but I think strengthening the IC title should be their priority, and I dont think having someone else win it in a fluky manner realy does anything for the title itself.

BasicThuganomics
03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Yeah my main thought for my idea was that it would be an easy way to add another match at Backlash, and that it would be an easy way to set up a fued for after Orton is done with Foley. The reason is that the title isn't needed to intensify the fued between Foley and Orton, its more of a personal matter between the two. Your point about strengthening the IC title is a good one though and I think this fued is already good whether or not Orton keeps the IC belt on him. Either way, this is already a good fued that will hopefully result in a helluva match at Backlash. But having someone else win the IC title from Orton could be an easy way to set up a fued after Foley which is what my main intention is for the scenerio i made up.

faust34
03-26-2004, 01:53 AM
Your point about strengthening the IC title is a good one though and I think this fued is already good whether or not Orton keeps the IC belt on him. Either way, this is already a good fued that will hopefully result in a helluva match at Backlash. But having someone else win the IC title from Orton could be an easy way to set up a fued after Foley which is what my main intention is for the scenerio i made up.

Perhaps someone like Edge would do the trick. This is why I'm kinda disappointed Orton isn't feuding with John Cena. Orton is in a great spot right now. He is very much like a young rock, and has tons of promise. I do think he needs to be in a future feud with someone that will result in both parties being co-elevated to eventual ME status. Kinda like Rock and Triple H. They had an awesome mid-card feud, which ended in a classic ladder match. Now if only we could find someone like that to feud with Orton. My money would be on Edge or Cena (somehow).

Corkscrewed
03-26-2004, 01:56 AM
Cynic, you should book for the WWE.

thuganomicalcrippler
03-26-2004, 04:42 AM

Those are exactly my sentimonies.

Boondock Saint
03-26-2004, 04:50 AM
Those are exactly my sentimonies.

Yeah, he gets that a lot.

BasicThuganomics
03-26-2004, 09:39 AM

Hey wasn't my idea good too? :shifty:

OK nevermind...

The CyNick
03-26-2004, 12:04 PM

thanks for the support, but I dont book enough things that start "HHH will get the World Title back by...." So I dont know popular I'd be.

Seriously though, hundreds of people could come up with the stuff I come up with, its nothing over the top great, I just try to stay logical.

Shaggy
03-26-2004, 02:49 PM
I completely forgot that he was the IC champ. Its seems like its been so long since he has defended it that I completly forgot.

BasicThuganomics
03-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Basically, Orton needs to put his title on the line against Foley at Backlash or get screwed out of it in the next week or so because he's really not doing anything for it at the moment. He is capable of bringing prestige back to the IC title, but his fued with Foley isn't about the title, its a personal thing between the two of them. Some attention needs to be brought to the title itself.

faust34
03-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Basically, Orton needs to put his title on the line against Foley at Backlash or get screwed out of it in the next week or so because he's really not doing anything for it at the moment. He is capable of bringing prestige back to the IC title, but his fued with Foley isn't about the title, its a personal thing between the two of them. Some attention needs to be brought to the title itself.

Thats 100% how I feel and why I started this thread. The title must be on the line at backlash.

Kane Knight
03-26-2004, 04:27 PM
That IC title is being used as a trophy for Orton right now to try and add to the credibility he's getting, I think. I'm sure he'll defend it when he's done with Foley. But yeah, titles are starting to mean less and less.
Well, titles are really plot devices anyways. A real feud is better than a simple tiel defense, so it's gonna do more good for Orton to be in against Foley than to be a title-holder. However, the Title does kind of augment his current status, so it could help the storline.

Would you want to defend your title when you had a guy dogging you like Foley has orton? i mean, if things happened like in wrestling (You know, shit like Foley being able to hound Orton, which wouldn't happen in a real sport).

I'd like to see a defense or two, but it'd take away from the foley story. Unfortunately, IMO, so would him dropping the title, with the obvious exception of if he dropped it because of Foley. Then again, if the purpose of the feud is to give Orton a rub, Foley killing ihs IC run makes no sense.

Wow. I just managed to say a lot, and not come to a determinate conclusion. I should go into ppolitics. :lol: