PDA

View Full Version : Which Marvel characters...

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Which marvel characters gave themselves super powers while being super smart? Cause it seems like at least all of the early Marvel characters were super scientists experimenting on themselves.

Of the top of my head I have:

Bruce Banner
Tony Stark
Hank McCoy (well at least he mad himself blue)
Norman Osborn
Reed Richards
Curt Conners (the Lizard)
Peter Parker
Dr. Doom
Otto Octavius

who else?

LoDownM
01-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Peter Parker did not give himself powers. Someone else was doing the demonstration that caused the spider to get radiated and bite him.

Dave Youell
01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Powers, or just the ability for supevilliany?

Cos Doc Oct has to be on that list

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Yeah, well he was a super genious that got his power during a science experment, close enough.

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Powers, or just the ability for supevilliany?

Cos Doc Oct has to be on that list

Yes, Doc Oct totally is on the list. He is in the same category as Iron Man.

Dave Youell
01-23-2009, 05:25 PM
Peter Parker did not give himself powers. Someone else was doing the demonstration that caused the spider to get radiated and bite him.
Yeah, but he was still a science fan. Depending on the incarnation you prefer he also created his own webbing ffs!

Dave Youell
01-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Dr Doom?

Dave Youell
01-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Was The Flash a scientist?

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Look, if Peter Parker wasn't super smart, he wouldn't have gone to the sceince fair or whatever and wouldn't have gotten powers. His intellegence was a important part of it.

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Was The Flash a scientist?

The Flash is DC, this is for Marvel.

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Dr Doom?

After a failed experiment leaves his face disfigured, the brilliant but arrogant Victor von Doom casts a set of armor and sets out to dominate the world, as well as to destroy his archenemy Reed Richards and the other members of the Fantastic Four.

Plus he is a Doctor. I mean the guy is a King of his own country but he rather show off his Ph.D. than his royality.

The Destroyer
01-23-2009, 05:45 PM
As far as evil geniuses go, I suppose you could include characters like Kang The Conqueror and the High Evolutionary. Even if a lot of Kang's "powers" are based off of the fact he's from the future, but he's still smart.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I don't think it's a Marvel thing. I think most heroes are smart. It's part of being heroic and skilled. How can someone take a hero seriously who's a moron? Only in comedy superhoes does that occur.

Also, there's plenty of Marvel characters who weren't scientists experimenting on themselves or in an experiment gone wrong. They do have a lot of characters with scientific backgrounds, that's true. That's a Stan Lee thing, and in a lot of ways a comic book thing.

But what about Punisher, and most of the characters in Xmen?

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Another question is, aside from mutation and being from another planet, which marvel also explored back then, how else are you going to get super powers?

thedamndest
01-23-2009, 06:44 PM
Gift from the gods? Build a big ass robot? Isn't there some armor that makes the owner a god? Or is that Xena?

Fignuts
01-23-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't think it's a Marvel thing. I think most heroes are smart. It's part of being heroic and skilled. How can someone take a hero seriously who's a moron? Only in comedy superhoes does that occur.

Also, there's plenty of Marvel characters who weren't scientists experimenting on themselves or in an experiment gone wrong. They do have a lot of characters with scientific backgrounds, that's true. That's a Stan Lee thing, and in a lot of ways a comic book thing.

But what about Punisher, and most of the characters in Xmen?

What? Intelligence has nothing to do with heroics.

thedamndest
01-23-2009, 06:53 PM
So are you either super-strong or super-smart?

thedamndest
01-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Way to delete that Hulk bit. Now I feel like a dick.

Fignuts
01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Success!

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:08 PM
It sort of does. It's an admirable and powerful quality. It's just as important as being strong and righteous. What successful superhero isn't intelligent?

Fignuts
01-23-2009, 07:16 PM
The Thing and the Hulk for one. Most of the big names are smart, because back when they were created, that was the stereotypical image of a hero. Good looks, great intelligence, and often ridiculously rich. But comics have evolved greatly since then, because writers realized that while these attributes are admirable, they have nothing to do with courage, and being a hero.

There are plenty of villains who are smart, and strong, and all that stuff. What seperates the heroes from the villains is a conscience, and the will to act on it.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
The Hulk is a split persona. They even made a point to have him merge his intelligence with his strength. The Hulk is brilliant when he's not on the warpath.

The Thing is part of a unit, which features scientists. Astronauts no less.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Villians are smart and strong too, absolutely. The moral line is what defines them.

Also, I think the characters that have flourished without those qualities are anti-heroes. I'm speaking clearly in classic superhero terms. Admirable qualities are a touchstone and intelligence is one of the top ones.

thedamndest
01-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Jubilee is neither strong nor smart.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:29 PM
And hardly a hero

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:30 PM
It sort of does. It's an admirable and powerful quality. It's just as important as being strong and righteous. What successful superhero isn't intelligent?

Fignuts
01-23-2009, 07:33 PM
The Hulk is a split persona. They even made a point to have him merge his intelligence with his strength. The Hulk is brilliant when he's not on the warpath.

The Thing is part of a unit, which features scientists. Astronauts no less.

They increased his intelligence for a year or two just to shake things up a bit. And the hulk is not "brilliant" when he's not in a rage. He just thinks a little clearer.

And for all intents and purposes, Hulk is a seperate character. The Hulk: The End portrays this perfectly. Regardless, even ifyou don't want to look at him as seperate, he loses banner's intelligence when he transforms.

Fignuts
01-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Jubilee was an immenesly popular character.

thedamndest
01-23-2009, 07:38 PM
I'd say it's easier for the reverse to be true. You can be ridiculously smart and have no athletic ability (Professor X, That guy who sits in the Punisher's Van) but if you are not physically capable and you don't have your wits about you then you probably would not make it out of the War Room.

I may have oversold The Van Guy's intelligence there.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:40 PM
The Xmen was immensely popular. She paraded around with Professor X and Cyclops, and Beast. There are certainly heroes who aren't super intelligent. They're just not traditional archetypical superheroes, and more often than not part of a group that is led by a more conventional hero. Either that, or they're an anti-hero badass. Wolverine's a great example of that.

My point is basically that intelligence is almost required when making a straight-forward superhero that works on his own. Intelligence doesn't have to be science either. Wits.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:41 PM
lol the van guy in punisher

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:43 PM
I'm just looking for an example of a solo superhero that isn't intelligent. Obviously comedic characters who are written as bumbling idiots on purpose don't qualify. I'd like to be enlightened.

Fignuts
01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Alright, wait.

Are we talking what makes a hero, or what makes a marketable comic hero.

Because from a marketing standpoint, yeah, intelligence can make a character more appealing. I have no issues if that's your arguement.

But if you're talking about being a hero in general, well then we may as well just agree to disagree. Because your view of comic heroes is based on the classical viewpoint, which is just too cliched and dated for me.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
What makes a typical successful hero. What people look for in it. I didn't think you meant what makes heroics. Obviously the guy walking out of dunkin donuts that runs into a burning building to save a kid is a hero, but he might be a moron.

I also think there can be heroes that aren't the archetypical hero. I think that fits in to the anti-hero persona. Wolverine, Punisher, or Spawn. These guys are the antithesis of typical heroes, except for the fact that they have the redeeming qualities to make them heroes.
And, even though they don't have book smarts they have street smarts. They're intelligent.

So basically that's the point I'm trying to make.

I'm talking top tier comic book superheros. Most of them is super, and that includes intelligence. Even if they're not a scientist or an astrophysicist, they're awful clever.

thedamndest
01-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Sub-Mariner is not top-tier enough for you?

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:54 PM
That's Namor to you bub

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Since Marvel has characters from space like Silver Surfer, mutants like the Xmen, gods like Thor, and scientists like Hulk, I'm still wondering where the fuck else one would get super powers from?

thedamndest
01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Juggernaut has a magic crystal.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh yea, is that from space or does that just qualify as magic/god stuff?

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Spawn is from hell. What ever happened to Spawn anyways? Are his comics still going/do people read them?

I stopped reading comics years ago, aside from occasional graphic novels.

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Shut up Jeritron.

I would prefer morons with super powers, that would be awesome.

Fignuts
01-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah still going, although just recently they revamped eyit with a new person as spawn. They had done pretty much everything they could with the al simmons character.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Shut up Jeritron.

I would prefer morons with super powers, that would be awesome.

I didn't say that wouldn't be awesome. It just wouldn't be serious. How about The Tick, or stuff like that?

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I had read Todd MacFarlane was trying to develop a new Spawn movie. A reboot obviously.
Hopefully they can get together a good script and bring on a serious director. I always thought the character was awesome and the story has potential cinematically.
To be honest, (and I haven't seen it in a while so who knows), but I didn't think the original was all that bad.

Boondock Saint
01-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Daredevil is not a scientist, god, mutant etc. His powers were simply an accident. No experiment. He is a smart character though.

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 08:45 PM
That's a good point. I suppose he's one of those "accident" cases. Spidey and Hulk are accidents too, but in the name of science.
His is just in the name of toxic waste or something.

Good Ole Matt Murdock is an underrated character

Jeritron
01-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Captain America is a subject of science. I count him as the "got his powers from science" category though.
If I wanted to stretch it, you could argue that Daredevil's are a scientific accident, but I'm not that bad.

BigDaddyCool
01-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Everyone shut up, you nerded this thread up more than I wanted it.

Funky Fly
01-23-2009, 09:14 PM
Jubilee is neither strong nor smart.

Jubilee was an immenesly popular character.

Jubilee is now Wondra and has minor super strength from technologically advanced armor. You be wrong, Theddy.

thedamndest
01-23-2009, 11:27 PM
Wonderbra may be super strong, but Jubilation Lee has the strength of a teenage girl. Also, in response to Jerry's question of "How else do you get super powers?" I said:

Gift from the gods? Build a big ass robot? Isn't there some armor that makes the owner a god? Or is that Xena?

Even when Theddy is wrong, Theddy is right!

BigDaddyCool
01-26-2009, 09:36 AM
There are also a whole bunch of magic crystals, gloves, rings, hammers, and hulk blood.

Reavant
01-26-2009, 12:09 PM
Spawn is the shit... that is all

Boondock Saint
01-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Spawn is shit, yes.

Reavant
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
you are a blastfamer

Kalyx triaD
01-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Spawn's cool. WAY overpowered (at least since I last researched him years ago), but a cool character overall.

Reavant
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
He can do anything he can think of, but thats the beauty of it... he doesnt want to. He only does just enough because hes too interested in self loathing and stalking his widowed wife. He only shows off his stuff when provoked.

Reavant
01-27-2009, 11:38 AM
He doesnt even have to worry about using up his powers anymore either... since he killed malbolgia

Kalyx triaD
01-27-2009, 06:45 PM
I know. I used to balk in high school when guys would debate Spawn vs Superman and I thought, "Who? The demon spawn guy who hangs with street urchins? Against Superman? Get the fuck outta here!" Then I read up on his history and seen why he would give Superman a run for his money. He'd still get fucked up, but not nearly as quick as I thought.

I miss those 'Vs.' debates...

Jeritron
01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
I think I posted a Batman vs Spiderman thread in casual a long time ago and it was a smash hit

Reavant
01-27-2009, 09:48 PM
the only reason spawn would lose to superman is because he could care less about the shit :p you better belive he could fuck up superman if he hurt wanda or cyan tho

Kalyx triaD
01-27-2009, 09:48 PM
Nah.