PDA

View Full Version : Rourke not tossing Jericho's salad?

Xero
01-28-2009, 11:27 PM
From PWInsider:

The Associated Press issued the following this evening:

Mickey Rourke won't rumble with WWE superstar

HOUSTON (AP) — A spokeswoman for actor Mickey Rourke says he won't be taking his role as a professional wrestler into a real-life ring after all.

Paula Woods told The Associated Press on Wednesday night that Rourke will not wrestle WWE superstar Chris Jericho at Wrestlemania 25 in April at Houston's Reliant Stadium.

Woods wrote in an e-mail that the Oscar-nominated actor "will not be participating in Wrestlemania. He is focusing entirely on his acting career."

Rourke portrays professional wrestler Randy the Ram in the acclaimed movie "The Wrestler." He made a surprise announcement about the wrestling event Sunday night on the red carpet before the Screen Actors Guild Awards in Los Angeles.

Rourke had said he was going to toss Jericho "around the ring like tossed salad."

KYR
01-28-2009, 11:33 PM
A shoot?

Arashi Kage
01-28-2009, 11:35 PM
If he were to appear at Wrestlemania, it should have no effect what so ever on whether he is to win an oscar for "The Wrestler". Unfortunately, it appears to be that involvement in wrestling is somehow relevant to his abilities as an actor and his portrayal in film. Stupid academy, what a lame mentality, "if he's at wrestlemania, we can't give him an oscar". This must be why he is pulling out, after those comments that he "could" lose an oscar if he associates with Wrestlemania. :rant::mad::n:

Kalyx triaD
01-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Sounds like a swerve. This is the first angle I've been interested in a while.

Lock Jaw
01-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Probably not a swerve, because it makes sense if you think about it.

Kalyx triaD
01-28-2009, 11:43 PM
Mickey doing one match is not a 'career switch'. And that's something they should have announced before the promo on Larry King.

Nark Order
01-28-2009, 11:44 PM
He would not have had a chance to land this gig pre-comeback.

KYR
01-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Would be interested to see the whole announcement (if available) to see if it was a shoot at "wrestling" (which is why he doesn't want to now do it) or if it looks like it's part of the storyline to "drum" up a reaction from Jericho - "Rourke's too gutless to face me now" (storyline-wise).

Jeritron
01-28-2009, 11:55 PM
He did say he was coming for his ass

KYR
01-28-2009, 11:56 PM
Hmmm. Not convinced by this yet.

Still think we'll see him go against Jericho.

Kane Knight
01-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Dirty.

Afterlife
01-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Good.

Mercury Bullet
01-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Dont care

Tazz Dan
01-29-2009, 12:15 AM
I guess it's a tough call for him. I doubt anyone would normally give up the chance to wrestle at Wrestlemania, but I'd much rather go home with an Oscar if I was an actor.

:-\

Kalyx triaD
01-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Ironically, almost trans-universally (what did I say?), Mickey's feelings on the matter could be similar to his character's. Will he appease the fans despite what is the safer thing to do? There is definitely a larger arc at work here, though I dare not give WWE writer's that much credit.

Shadow
01-29-2009, 12:24 AM
.................the Oscar's are before Mainia. Let's think about this for a moment. The Oscar's are before Mania.

THIS WILL NOT AFFECT THE VOTING AT ALL!

Heyman
01-29-2009, 12:33 AM
If Jericho doesn't feud with Rourke, then he'll probably job for the 4324324324325435345 time in some kind of gimmick match (and in this case, it would probably be a MITB ladder match at Mania).

A good indication that Jericho is about to give head, is when he's placed in a MITB match, HIAC match, or an Elimination Chamber match.

Volare
01-29-2009, 01:20 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnR_WX5snAs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnR_WX5snAs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Afterlife
01-29-2009, 04:05 AM
Again, this guy is terrible at conversation.

Volare
01-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Damn I love Jericho's look in the interview.

AKin3D
01-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Great now the stroy is on yahoo's main page.

jaycool2k
01-29-2009, 06:09 AM
It is going to be interesting to see how this all comes about over the coming weeks. There still has to be something to it if Vince goes from putting down the movie on wwe.com to having Jericho mention all the awards it got and a setup.

I still think something will happen...

jaycool2k
01-29-2009, 06:48 AM
... i mean it's not like the WWE has EVER made a mess of things before...right?

Volare
01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
This is the main article on wwe.com right now...I don't think he's pulling out.

Kane Knight
01-29-2009, 01:02 PM
This is the main article on wwe.com right now...I don't think he's pulling out.

He's thrown in, and he's going all the way. Expect a big finish at Mania.

parkmania
01-29-2009, 03:03 PM
If this isn't a work, and Rourke really isn't doing WM, then the $64,000 question is: Who actually cancelled the appearance - Rourke, Rourke's agent, or Vince?

Rourke - had time to think it over a little better
Agent - "You're doing WHAT?!?!? I don't think so!"
Vince - "You told people before I could get a storyline going??!?! No soup for you!"

Xero
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd bank on the agent.

Nark Order
01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
No word of it on wwe.com that I can see right now...

Fox
01-29-2009, 07:19 PM
As much as I would love this match to happen (more for Jericho's sake than anything else), I highly doubt that it will. From a career standpoint, Rourke has just climbed back out of the grave with all the buzz about "The Wrestler" in the industry. To go and do WrestleMania, which is considered low-brow entertainment, might put a damper on his newly revived reputation and could cost him roles in the future. Much the same reason why The Rock doesn't associate with wrestling anymore.

I guess we will have to see.

Kane Knight
01-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Wouldn't it be hilarious if the business related to the film that pulled his career out ofthe gutter ended up shoving him back down there?

Xero
01-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Yes. Yes it would.

Volare
01-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Wow. This is the first thing in awhile that I believe has half of the regulars on here split between it's gonna happen and it's not.

Afterlife
01-30-2009, 03:49 AM
As long as Rourke is nowhere near a live mic, I don't care if he does the match.

TNASUCKS
01-30-2009, 11:18 PM
From WWE Main Page

The buzz grew to a deafening pitch recently as the relationship between Mickey Rourke and WWE has become the subject of a great deal of speculation: Is the star of the critically-acclaimed film "The Wrestler" participating in the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania or isn’t he? Will the actor, who won a Golden Globe for his performance, be in attendance or not?

Much of the conjecture began following Rourke's appearance on CNN's Larry King Live Tuesday night. Before Chris Jericho dropped by via satellite and exchanged words with the actor, Rourke told the cable interviewer that he had "tremendous respect" for WWE's Superstars and would like to attend the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania in Houston on April 5. “I want to do anything I can,” said Rourke, “to support those guys.”

Shortly after Jericho interrupted the star's appearance on Larry King Live, a publicist for Rourke, an Oscar nominee for his role as Randy “The Ram” Robinson, wrote an e-mail to the media that stated he “will not be participating in WrestleMania. He is focusing entirely on his acting career.”

As conjecture continues to swirl, WWE.com has learned that while Rourke will not be participating in the 25th Anniversary of WrestleMania in Houston on April 5, WWE has, in fact, invited the actor to the event and looks forward to his attendance – as a guest of the company.

When asked to clarify Rourke’s relationship with WWE, WWE Officials said that they looked forward to the actor being present at WrestleMania.

“We are pleased that Mickey Rourke will be in attendance at WrestleMania to support the WWE Superstars who support him and the film in which he stars, The Wrestler,” WWE Officials explained.

Shadow
01-31-2009, 12:53 AM
Damn agents.

Volare
01-31-2009, 02:43 AM
I smell bullshit.

Kane Knight
01-31-2009, 09:03 PM
They're definitely pitching it like it's part of an angle.

Xero
01-31-2009, 09:42 PM
For some reason I'm thinking they'll go stalker angle here.

Maybe Rourke can get some help from DDP. That wouldn't be a bad thing...