PDA

View Full Version : Another site ideas/help thread

Triple A
01-29-2009, 11:27 AM
OK so now that I have finally finished the site design, I want to actually make the content good.

I know a lot of people here said that they would be able to report and if so, that would be tremendous. I was thinking to give like 5-6 people from here (or maybe more) the ability to post stuff on the main page whenever they felt like it. Doesn't have to be like huge multi-news posts. Could just be one story per post, which is kind of how I think it should be in the first place. You could post whatever you want, include your opinions, whatever. Doesn't have to be all "stiff" and "professional" or anything. I think if there are enough people, we won't get the "got tired of doing it so stopped doing it" thing happening.

If you are interested, please lemme know. The only criteria I have is you have to be decent at writing and have a good grasp of spelling/grammar. If you use two dots instead of three for ellipses and shit like that, I don't know.

Also might bring in another decent "outside reporter" to post some stuff/keep it updated.

I think I am just going to scrap the whole comments/headlines forum thing since most people just post their comments on stuff in the wrestling forum so there is really no use for it. BUT there is an option to post things from the main page directly to the wrestling forum. So if someone wants to post news and there isn't already a thread in the wrestling forum, they could make one and comments would appear on the main page and stuff. That might be a weird/annoying system though with some posts having comments and some not so I don't even really know what I am gonna do. Or should I just keep the headlines forum? Fuck I don't know.

Anyway, I made this thread before and these are some of the ideas I took down...

Better Wrestler Hall of Fame - Could just make the same exact posts from the forum, and link to the forum page for the poll.
Top 10 list kinda thing. Like "Top 10 _____ Moments" or "Top 5 ____ Videos" or something? Fallen Angel was talking about this I think.
Power rankings thing maybe? If anyone wants to do that I mean, or if you guys think it would even be good/worth it.
Quick TV recaps? Like doesn't even have to be detailed really.
Would anyone want to do live PPV coverage? This one is pretty big.
I will probably do some photo gallery things.
Also that "tipsters" thing. Honestly I am not even really sure how it works or if it could be somehow implemented onto the site, but if it can, lemme know.

So yeah, if you want to help in any way, plz let me know. Or if you have any other ideas/suggestions/whatever.

The Mackem
01-29-2009, 11:44 AM
I'm not lying when I say I would read columns. Obviously they have to be good but I'm sure people here would want to try. Like give everyone who wants to write a try out or something.

Triple A
01-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Yeah. Could set up a columns forum maybe where they would automatically be posted and people could reply on the forum for instant feedback and whatnot. But yeah dunno how well it would work out though since everyone already posts quick thoughts in the forum.

Xero
01-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Can't wait until next week when you drop this entirely again.

Triple A
01-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Where is KingofOldSchool btw?

Volare
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Is there a way we can get a chat just for us members? So we don't have to deal with the 9 year olds who spam chat rooms with Cena crap. (Unless we want to make them cry.)

Triple A
01-29-2009, 11:56 AM
Nah chat rooms defeat the purpose of a forum.

The Mackem
01-29-2009, 12:29 PM
Are there anymore games you can add and other multimedia type crap?

Triple A
01-29-2009, 12:33 PM
I am kinda limited on the multimedia front because I can't really put up WWE copyrighted shit because they sent me a cease and desist back when I had a ton of media on the site.

Oh yeah the trivia thing... gotta figure out a way to do that also. Making it automated would be easiest. I will think.

The Mackem
01-29-2009, 12:35 PM
You should hold competitions. First one should be to win FourFifty's WWE money.

Jeritron
01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
I think it'd be incredible, and popular, if somehow the war room was able to be a live chat

Dave Youell
01-29-2009, 05:47 PM
I offer to post news every time you ask.

So yeah, I will if you want

Tazz Dan
01-29-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd quite happily help out however I can :y:

BigDaddyCool
01-29-2009, 09:44 PM
I am already doing a Power Ranking, I can post that on the main page weekly.

http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86892

El Fangel
01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I think if we did complete PPV Recaps that are being written up as the PPV is going then posted in the headlines IMMEDIATELY after it would bring loads of traffic to the site do to that.

Afterlife
01-29-2009, 10:48 PM
I'll do ppv coverage if the shows are provided for me.

The Mackem
01-30-2009, 07:30 AM
SPOILERS

Ryan Clark is taking an extended weekend holiday - no news over the weekend and no Raw coverage. This could be somebody's chance to step up!

The Mackem
01-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I am already doing a Power Ranking, I can post that on the main page weekly.

http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86892

This is looking good, if BDC keeps it going, it would be a good addition.

Anybody Thrilla
01-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I would like to write a column where I put a positive spin on absolutely everything, no matter how retarded it may be.

El Fangel
01-30-2009, 03:48 PM
I would like to write a column where I put a positive spin on absolutely everything, no matter how retarded it may be.

Ryan Clark has not died yet. No replacement needed.

Anybody Thrilla
01-30-2009, 04:45 PM
Whatever you say, TNAROCKS.

El Fangel
01-30-2009, 04:49 PM
:'(

The Mackem
01-30-2009, 08:04 PM
LOL @ today's video. Short but straight to the point.

DaVe
01-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Nice, Triple A. The site is pretty simple but is quite awesome.

CSL
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM

That could work. Ask for 'suggestions' each week, pick the one with the most potential and voila

Volare
01-31-2009, 02:47 AM
Heh, kinda like a mad-lib?

Impact!
01-31-2009, 02:54 AM
If you're interested I could do MMA news/reviews/updates/whatever.

JT
01-31-2009, 03:12 AM
What about a weekly or monthly podcast?

BigDaddyCool
01-31-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm really impressed, the mainpage looks good, plus after 10 years I'm finally on it.

Jeritron
01-31-2009, 04:05 PM
I was taking it out for a spin and I found myself listening to the Wolfpack music in Window Media Player.

lol I think that's my cue to get going for the day.

Blitz
01-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Can't wait until next week when you drop this entirely again.
How did he drop this entirely. He did the re-design like he said he would, and is now asking for content ideas.

Don't bitch about his hard work because it isn't done on your timetable.

YOUR Hero
01-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Triple A has perfect timing.

Xero
01-31-2009, 11:54 PM
How did he drop this entirely. He did the re-design like he said he would, and is now asking for content ideas.

Don't bitch about his hard work because it isn't done on your timetable.

He's done this at least once before at least a year ago. The redesign is a start but I'm willing to bet it all fizzles out.

FourFifty
02-01-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm all for blogs, or maybe a weekly "Captions" thread with winners each week based on votes.
Then again, I've always been a huge fan of funny stuff like the captions, or Scenes from a Hat thread.

If it helps, I likes The Ruse Report, and a non-kayfabe "Best week/Worst week" blog would be fun to read.

Destor
02-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Indy coverage would be nice

The Mackem
02-02-2009, 03:51 AM
Indy coverage would be nice

Yeah, it would be nice to see important news/results outside WWE/TNA - just a case of someone being able to do it.

BigDaddyCool
02-02-2009, 09:26 AM
You know destor, instead of demanding things to happen, why don't you make them happen by doing it yourself?

Destor
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I would be glad to.

Xero
02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm for captions (real captions, not that C-Fed shit) becoming a feature.

And I'd be willing to lend something to a Photoshop feature. "Lulz, it's funny because it's fake."

Jeritron
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Captions needs to come back. There should be caption of the day, with the top 10 poster captions, or something.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 12:10 AM
K I am gonna try to set up a lot of this stuff tomorrow. Just got back from class and am "exhausted" right now but yeah... liking the captions idea a lot and some of the other ideas posted so far. I will post more tomorrow.

Also wanna add the Better Wrestler thing to the main page. What is the Hall of Fame list that is there though?

KYR
02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
The Better Wrestler is a competition between 2 wrestlers. If a wrestler wins (voted by TPWW) 5 consecutive rounds he gets inducted into our TPWW Hall of Fame - the list you see are those wrestlers who have made it so far.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 12:24 AM
What do you mean rounds? Isn't it two new wrestlers every week? Or the winner of the previous week moves on until they lose?

KYR
02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Wrestler "A" goes up against Wrestler "B" in the first round. The voting lasts for 3 days. After that the winner goes on to face another wrestler in the next round and so on.

So after a wrestler wins against 5 other wrestlers (consecutively) he gets into the HoF.

Kalyx triaD
02-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Results for the last ten years of PPVs.

Destor
02-03-2009, 12:37 AM
Yeah. Two wrestlers face off. The winner becomes the champion. The champ then defends against increasingly difficult opponents. If he can win five bout he becomes a hall of famer.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 12:40 AM
So each wrestler that wins goes on to the very next one? Like if CM Punk wins Better Wrestler 57, he faces someone else in Better Wrestler 58, right?

Destor
Yes

Destor
Until he loses or wins 5 straight.

Destor
WINS, draws are not wins.

Jeritron
02-03-2009, 02:10 AM
And the rounds are of escalating challenge. For instance, if The Rock beats Shawn Michaels, he goes on to face favorites of increasing popularity and skill, from midcard to main event.
For instance, in his third round he faced Lance Storm, but then he went on to face Kurt Angle in the clincher.
So it's like any tournament.

The Mackem
02-03-2009, 07:52 AM
SPOILERS!!

Note from Ryan Clark: I am back from Las Vegas (with serious jet lag) so I’ll have all the news caught up later today (Tuesday). I am going to be posting a TON of stuff today so stay tuned. I’m headed to sleep for a few hours and then I’ll be up VERY early so I can get all caught up. For those who asked, Las Vegas was awesome. I’ll have more on WZR Radio later tonight.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 04:05 PM
OK I don't know. Kinda can't stand this shit anymore. I have been deleting every single fake plug from the last couple of weeks. Today I have deleted: Carlito released, WWE fires six wrestlers today, Batista suspended for being on drugs, exclusive Kelly Kelly Playboy cover, Stone Cold Steve Austin backstage at Raw.

Making me extremely fucking angry right now. I am afraid the site won't even have any news posted at all though if Clark is gone. He does a good job of keeping it updated a LOT. I am thinking about emailing a few reporters to see if they want to post, but I do not know. Kinda wish I wasn't extremely out of the loop with wrestling and could update everything myself.

Destor
02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Why don't trust TPWWers to do it? Just give them a chance. I understand most of us aren't worth a fuck but some us will do ya right.

BigDaddyCool
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Don't let noid do it, it isn't worth a fuck. Also, if Destor does it, it will just be worthless indy coverage no one cares about.

Destor
02-03-2009, 04:55 PM
OR it will bring in people that DO care about indy (IE the rest of the IWC that doesn't post on this board.)

Destor
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Besides, anyone who actually cares about wrestling supports indy. Where do you think the stars of tommorow come from? Yeah.

Destor
02-03-2009, 04:56 PM
You need indy wrestling, deal.

BigDaddyCool
02-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I was jokingly suggesting that all you would post about is the indies completely ignoring TNA and WWE. And more people care about that than the indys. Plus, getting kids who like WWE interested in wrestling is where the stars of tomorrow come from, they just so happen to train in the indies. God, you don't get jokes at all, do you.

Destor
02-03-2009, 05:00 PM
I myself was joking with you asshat.

BigDaddyCool
02-03-2009, 05:02 PM
I LOVE PENIS.

*It's true.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Why don't trust TPWWers to do it? Just give them a chance. I understand most of us aren't worth a fuck but some us will do ya right.
Never said I don't trust you. :mad: I will make a posting account for you now, actually.

And for anyone else* who wants one. You can post whatever the F you want, like I said. It is more interesting that way anyway. I will send you the link in couple of minutes.

I do think Clark is good though because he keeps it updated several, several times a day. But a lot of the plugs are so embarrassing and I don't think the site will have any "real world credibility".

Not that most wrestling sites do anyway since everything is really taken from Wrestling Observer or PWInsider anyway. But you know what I am saying.

So I am not sure what to do really. Any advice from everyone here is welcome.

I am going to add the Better Wrestler feature right now. Only thing is, I need a brief description to add to the top of the page, like explaining how it works. Basically what you told me in this thread.

Captions would be great. I always loved that shit. If anyone has any ideas on how that could work, lemme knowwwwwwwwwww and let's do it.

Xero, I think it was you that posted that unnecessary censorship thread that was rofl. Something like that (or just that) would be great. Lemme know.

Anyone have any ideas for the trivia section and guess the wrestler? I have no money so I can't offer any prizes and shit like I did back in the day. Should I just post new ones every week and post the answer the next week? That seems kinda boring/gay though. Should I just give the answer immediately? Like just use one of those online quiz scripts? I am gonna do the Guess the Theme thing again too. I am kinda looking for a way to entice new visitors to return again though, so maybe the answers next week thing is a better idea.

Basically, what can I do to try to make TPWW original? Back in the day I had all the multimedia and stuff that no other sites had, and that is what kept people coming back. I can't have that anymore and I feel like the whole "wrestling website business" has changed now anyway. There are 987235987 million straight wrestling newsboard sites. How can the site stand out and actually give people a reason to visit it instead of the other 982375 choices?

KYR
02-03-2009, 07:29 PM
A lot of us visit Wrestling Observer and PWInsider anyway.

Could you perhaps give the reponsibility to a couple of TPWWers to grab headlines from there and post on our site - give credit to those sites or not, up to you.

That way you wouldn't have the onerous chore of deleting Clark's fake plugs all the time.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Yes. That is what I have been saying. That would be the ideal/perfect situation.

But on the other hand, Clark is like a posting machine. For example, today he posted like 25 posts, for about each hour of the day. And each post had like 3-4 pieces of news in it. So it is kinda insane, so I'm not sure what to do.

Xero
02-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Considering a good amount of us like humor, and in fact we have our own memes and whatnot, I think we should make it strong on that point. There's only two sites I can think of that focuses mostly on humor, WrestleCrap and another one. WrestleCrap is genius, but has very little content week-to-week (maybe five written columns and the podcast). The other one was having a resurgence a year ago but I don't remember what the site was.

I'd be willing to head an Unnecessary Censorship article (yes, I did start that), as well as anything else in this area. Captions I would look into but with WWE.com being all flash it's going to be very hard getting what we need. TNA would work, though.

As for the newsboard, I do really think it should stay as an actual news source, but we do need original content. Articles will be great, but I think a really good way to go about it is this, assuming it's possible with the software:

We set up a forum with, say, five mods. We allow anyone to post in it, but only the mods can approve them. If approved, they're pushed to the main board. This should keep a steady influx of news while not worrying about losing writers.

We can do the same for columns which are not regular features.

This, assuming people actually post, would give us a very good amount of original/sourced content without worrying about advertisements or flaky reporters.

Destor
02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I wasn't saying that trust bit about myself, but ANYWAY:

Think of Better Wrestler like a wrestling match.

Two wrestlers face each other.
TPWW votes on who they think is the better wrestler.
Being a wrestler is subjective and the criteria in which this is judged is up to the individual. It can be soley on ring work, mic work, charecter, titles, sucess, legevity, or whatever. Or who has the total package. Hell you can vote on who makes you mark out the hardest. However you make this judgement is up to you.
The winner becomes the champion.
The winner then goes on to defned his title against increasingly difficult opponents.
If he can get five victories he will be retired from the compitition and go into the Better Wrestler Hall of Fame.
Two new challengers will then face each other for the vacant title.
In the event of a draw the champion will continue on, the title will not change hands on a draw.
A draw does not count as a victory.
The challenger will be allowed to challenge either the next champion, or fight during the next vacancy. Which ever comes first.
I think that's all the rules there are.

KYR
02-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Xero's is a great idea.

Also remember that although Clark is a "posting machine" a lot of his posts do have item content that he has posted before.

Also Clark is only one man - we have the entire Wrestling forum to post items for "Mod-Approval".

Trips you want to make this part as labour-UNintensive as possible for you personally. Xero's idea would achieve this while still maintaining quality-control of the site (which I think is what you're trying to achieve).

Destor
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes. That is what I have been saying. That would be the ideal/perfect situation.

But on the other hand, Clark is like a posting machine. For example, today he posted like 25 posts, for about each hour of the day. And each post had like 3-4 pieces of news in it. So it is kinda insane, so I'm not sure what to do.The problem is alot f his news has no credibility...

Destor
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
He's also been known to totally make stuff up.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Considering a good amount of us like humor, and in fact we have our own memes and whatnot, I think we should make it strong on that point. There's only two sites I can think of that focuses mostly on humor, WrestleCrap and another one. WrestleCrap is genius, but has very little content week-to-week (maybe five written columns and the podcast). The other one was having a resurgence a year ago but I don't remember what the site was.

I'd be willing to head an Unnecessary Censorship article (yes, I did start that), as well as anything else in this area. Captions I would look into but with WWE.com being all flash it's going to be very hard getting what we need. TNA would work, though.

As for the newsboard, I do really think it should stay as an actual news source, but we do need original content. Articles will be great, but I think a really good way to go about it is this, assuming it's possible with the software:

We set up a forum with, say, five mods. We allow anyone to post in it, but only the mods can approve them. If approved, they're pushed to the main board. This should keep a steady influx of news while not worrying about losing writers.

We can do the same for columns which are not regular features.

This, assuming people actually post, would give us a very good amount of original/sourced content without worrying about advertisements or flaky reporters.

Yes. That user controlled newsboard thing would be great. There isn't a way to set it up exactly like that right now using the software, but I am sure there is something like that I could install.

The trend everywhere on the internet now is user-controlled content, with Wikipedia and YouTube and Digg and everything.

Could literally be "The People's Wrestling Website" if the news is controlled by the people who come to the site. I will try to figure out a way to do this.

Destor
02-03-2009, 07:50 PM
It could be as simple as creating a moderated board where posters post news and then some mods turn around and put it up on the main page once it's validity is comfirmed...

Destor
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
I wasn't saying that trust bit about myself, but ANYWAY:

Think of Better Wrestler like a wrestling match.

Two wrestlers face each other.
TPWW votes on who they think is the better wrestler.
Being a wrestler is subjective and the criteria in which this is judged is up to the individual. It can be soley on ring work, mic work, charecter, titles, sucess, legevity, or whatever. Or who has the total package. Hell you can vote on who makes you mark out the hardest. However you make this judgement is up to you.
The winner becomes the champion.
The winner then goes on to defned his title against increasingly difficult opponents.
If he can get five victories he will be retired from the compitition and go into the Better Wrestler Hall of Fame.
Two new challengers will then face each other for the vacant title.
In the event of a draw the champion will continue on, the title will not change hands on a draw.
A draw does not count as a victory.
The challenger will be allowed to challenge either the next champion, or fight during the next vacancy. Which ever comes first.
People who are defeted can re-challenge after 50 compititions.
I think that's all the rules there are.Left out a rule.

Xero
02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
It could be as simple as creating a moderated board where posters post news and then some mods turn around and put it up on the main page once it's validity is comfirmed...

This would definitely work as a short-term solution, as we're looking for the software to do it, but in the long run the software would obviously be better.

Destor
02-03-2009, 07:52 PM
def

KYR
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
There would be no shortage of contributors rest assured.

And don't forget, with the world-wide membership of TPWW - you will effectively get 24-hour coverage and so the site would be continually updating around the clock making it an even greater attraction to outsiders.

It would make sense that if you had 5 mods for this (as Xero suggested) that perhaps you had 2 US-based, 1-2 UK-based, 1-2 South Pacific based that way you could be assured that the site is continually up-dated around the clock with "fresh" news.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Only thing... the problem that immediately comes to mind is diffusing the wrestling forum. Would we require all news that would normally be posted in the wrestling forum to be posted in the "news forum"? And if we have to wait for mods to approve, even with 5 or so mods, that could potentially make it a bit slow to be posted onto the forum where it would have otherwise been posted immediately in the wrestling forum by anyone. But the main thing is the wrestling forum diffusion problem... thoughts?

Destor
02-03-2009, 08:00 PM
My thoughts would be dont open the news forums to posting. That way an alternate would have to be made for the discussion. But I dunno.

Xero
02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I doubt this is possible with current addons, but a way around this would be to allow the mods to push content from the wrestling forum as well as the news forum to the main board.

Also, might be a good idea to push anything approved to the wrestling forum. My only fear being that it will flood the wrestling forum with topics too fast, and we don't comment on EVERY little thing, so there would be a lot of dead topics.

KYR
02-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Do we really need a Wrestling Q & A Forum anymore?

All questions can be asked in the normal Wrestling Forum.

Use the Q & A forum as the Wrestling "News" Forum. Posters post news items in there for approval. Once approved, the post is then transferred to the Wrestling Forum and posters can comment as usual.

Just thinking out loud at the moment, but this might ease your "diffuse the forum" issue.

Triple Naitch
02-03-2009, 08:03 PM
I think that we should innovate the Show Results section. Include more detail, have a short detail box like on CNN.com, include pics. Make it more like a story than just a post.

Destor
02-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Yes we need the Q&A forum

KYR
02-03-2009, 08:04 PM

Use the Q & A forum as the Wrestling "News" Forum. Posters post news items in there for approval. Once approved, the post is then transferred to the Wrestling Forum and posters can comment as usual.

Just thinking out loud at the moment, but this might ease your "diffuse the forum" issue.

At least this way, the mods can go to the same place for news items to be posted to the main page without having to "search" for them.

Triple A
Yeah that could work but like Xero said, it could also flood the wrestling forum with topics for every "tidbit" of news. I think it would have to stay split up. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Destor
You can just make a new forum, KEEP THE Q&A FORUM

Xero
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM

Maybe turn it into a "feature". Selected questions could be put up on the main site with their answers. Essentially, it would build a database of wrestling questions, of which I know none exist.

Destor
02-03-2009, 08:05 PM
One thought is most topics in the wrestling forum aren't about news but opinions, theories, etc. so it wouldn't a big deal.

KYR
02-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Yeah, but the mods aren't going to tranfer EVERY post to the Wrestling Forum.

That's why they're MODS - they will moderate what they feel SHOULD be transferred to the main forum, what will be posted to the main PAGE, and what is crap.

KYR
02-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Trips, you can see that the guys who are posting in this thread are as passionate as you about this and want this to work which is why we are trying to come up with solutions for you - so I don't think you need worry that it WON'T be handled appropriately and we could "self-manage" the process without you worrying about it.

Xero
02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a bit of experience running (smaller) websites and have no problem helping out as much as I can with whatever's needed. When I first came into this topic I didn't know how serious Trips was. I'm pleasantly surprised, to be honest.

Destor
02-03-2009, 08:25 PM
I'll say this, you make the plan and I'll do what I can to help it happen.

Triple A
02-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Alright I am gonna try to figure out a way to do this.

Best way I have come up with so far is this...

Kinda the same way as the headlines forum thing I had earlier...

In order to post on the news forum, everyone would have to post through the WordPress news posting system I have. And when it is posted, it would automatically create a thread in the news forum. But each post would have to be moderated first obviously.

This is the best workaround I can think of so far. Another idea is just to have the moderators copy and paste the posts manually onto the newsboard, but that just seems like more work.

I will keep brainstorming. I will hopefully set this up in the next few days. Got class all day tomorrow and Thursday.

Destor
02-03-2009, 08:35 PM
This is the best workaround I can think of so far. Another idea is just to have the moderators copy and paste the posts manually onto the newsboard, but that just seems like more work.
This wouldn't be so bad

Destor
02-03-2009, 08:36 PM
But I'm down for either

Triple A
02-03-2009, 09:48 PM
K put up the Better Wrestler thing... http://www.tpww.net/2009/02/better-wrestler-57-cm-punk-vs-booker-t/

Juan
02-03-2009, 09:52 PM
That's pretty sexy there Trips. :y:

KYR
02-03-2009, 10:03 PM
WOW. How good is that!

:y:

Destor
02-03-2009, 10:56 PM
hot

Destor
02-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I waqs hoping Xero would man the captions seeing as he is usually the funniest...alas...

Xero
02-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I'll look into captions. If I do it I'll probably do a condensed weekly one with about ten images because with WWE I'd need to screen cap every image and resave it. Not doing that with 100+ images.

Xero
02-03-2009, 11:19 PM
As you can see, I've started the first UC thread. If it goes over I'll keep it up. If it bombs I'll probably just do it myself.

KYR
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Happy to support any way I can.

Destor
02-03-2009, 11:53 PM
I dunno what a site contributer is but Im glad to know I am one.

KYR
02-04-2009, 12:07 AM
K put up the Better Wrestler thing... http://www.tpww.net/2009/02/better-wrestler-57-cm-punk-vs-booker-t/

Just had an idea when I looked at this again - don't know how difficult it would be to set it up but...

Looking at today's contest between Punk and Booker, would it be possible to link their names (above the pics) to a "Bio" page, so anyone from the outside (or even current members) can get a quick Bio snapshot of that wrestler.

Doesn't need to be too long, maybe a paragraph or two on that wrestler's career, championship wins (if any), promotion history, age, real name etc etc.

Could be just a pop-up window (half or quarter page).

I would be happy to assist in the gathering of information for bio pages for wrestlers.

Destor
02-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Actually bios in general would be cool. I'd put some time in doing that as long as I could up some foreign and indy guys as well.

KYR
02-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Yeah that was my initial idea to have a dedicated Bio page but then I thought about the number of past and current wrestlers and my mind went into over-drive - that would be an enormous task for just one person.

Which is why I then thought of maybe just the 1-2 paragraph pop-up (to start with). We could do this with each new "contestant" in Better Wrestler and just keep adding to it. As we do each new pop-up bio we can do a "full" bio for the "Bio" home page.

Triple A
02-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't think the bios would be even worth it honestly, because everyone just uses Wikipedia.

KYR
02-04-2009, 12:14 AM
We could do a heap in advance in preparation for the following rounds of competition.

KYR
02-04-2009, 12:16 AM
I don't think the bios would be even worth it honestly, because everyone just uses Wikipedia.

But isn't the idea of this NEW site to get people to come HERE for their source of entertainment and information?

Also, Wiki's not that accurate either.

Triple A
02-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah, by having things that other sites don't have hopefully. There is no point in trying to compete with Wikipedia for bios of wrestlers. It is really not worth the effort. Just being honest here.

Xero
02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
Something like that has been done perfectly. http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/

We should be looking for original concepts, concepts which have not been done to death or concepts which have not been perfected.

Destor
02-04-2009, 12:20 AM
You aren't wrong

KYR
02-04-2009, 12:22 AM
Point taken.

Destor
02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
It sucks we can't do the themes anymore.

Destor
02-04-2009, 12:23 AM
That was a massive draw back in the day.

KYR
02-04-2009, 12:24 AM
Yeah. Considering I have just about every one in mp3 format already.

Triple A
02-04-2009, 01:10 AM
Wow OK I think I found some software that will do what we are looking for with the submission thing... Basically will allow anyone who is logged in to submit a post to the site, and they will go into a queue until a mod confirms and publishes them.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tdo-mini-forms/

Damn, I want to mess with this now but I will be up for hours if I do. Gonna hopefully set it up in the next couple of days when I get a chance.

KYR
02-04-2009, 01:51 AM
Sounds good. The other thing to consider is whether it allows for editing (by the mod) before publishing. Need that to condense overly-long posts and also for retarded spelling/grammar but still want the basics of the post.

The Mackem
02-04-2009, 05:29 AM
I think you need to get other people on board with that, sounds like a lot of work for Destor at the moment. Xero looks into it and maybe get a few people in different time zones as well because you might end up with a serious backlog to deal with plus numerous duplicate posts.

Xero
02-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Trips, this week I'm doing Captions from my own Photobucket account but I'd prefer to be able to upload the images to TPWW itself. I won't be able to do this with the current forum restrictions.

If it's not possible or if you'd prefer, I'll create a separate Photobucket account which I will share with anyone who will help me with this. (Still don't know how I'll share the responsibility but I will.)

Destor
02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
I think you need to get other people on board with that, sounds like a lot of work for Destor at the moment. Xero looks into it and maybe get a few people in different time zones as well because you might end up with a serious backlog to deal with plus numerous duplicate posts.I think Kev would help. Beyond that though I would def need help on the weekends seeing as how I'm out of town wrestling.

Jeritron
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
I'll help however I can

Destor
02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
Make BDC do it

thedamndest
02-04-2009, 06:06 PM
I will write some kind of an article. As soon as my Name Change is granted, that is.

Xero
02-04-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm seriously considering bringing back Scenes from a Hat, but I don't know how that would work as a feature. Maybe it'll just be forum-only.

Thoughts? Should I bring it back?

KYR
02-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Scenes from a Hat was good. You just had to weed out the retarded responses to find the Golden one.

Worth the effort just to read that classic response - usually from that KYR guy.

KYR
02-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Actually, you could probably do it the same way Trips suggested for the News bites.

Responses go into a queue awaiting approval from a Mod.

It's certainly something I've never seen on any other site.

Xero
02-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Maybe a "Scenes from a Hat" subforum would work. Same idea, but each scene would get its own thread and the best from each would be put on the main page.

This would allow multiple scenes to be going at once, instead of being cut off.

Just thinking out loud here. Probably too elaborate for what is truly needed.

ron the dial
02-04-2009, 11:46 PM
i will write a tale of life, love, and loss in the midwest, the year 2002.

Destor
02-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Maybe a "Scenes from a Hat" subforum would work. Same idea, but each scene would get its own thread and the best from each would be put on the main page.

This would allow multiple scenes to be going at once, instead of being cut off.

Just thinking out loud here. Probably too elaborate for what is truly needed.
Yeah, wouldn't want to clutter up the forums

Triple A
02-05-2009, 01:53 AM
I think there is probably a way to be able to upload images onto the server through WordPress. I will check it out. Or if anything I will just upload anything you need to the site's FTP.

How do you want to do the captions section? Top 10-15 or whatever captions of the thread? I honestly just realized that it is probably not a good idea to post images straight from WWE.com because I am kinda just not allowed to. I mean in terms of ALL the images. If it's only some of them, in the form of captions, I don't think it'll be a problem though.

Jeritron
02-05-2009, 04:49 AM
I'd greatly enjoy writing some kind of commentary article, or contribute any of my immense talent. I'd either rant, or give a slice of the lighter side.

Jeritron
02-05-2009, 05:07 AM
If we had a set group of main page contributors we could also have a feature along the lines of "employee picks", similar to what you may see at a video store. Every week or month we could each submit 5 new must watch matches/promos/ppvs, etc.

Xero
02-05-2009, 09:50 AM
I think there is probably a way to be able to upload images onto the server through WordPress. I will check it out. Or if anything I will just upload anything you need to the site's FTP.

How do you want to do the captions section? Top 10-15 or whatever captions of the thread? I honestly just realized that it is probably not a good idea to post images straight from WWE.com because I am kinda just not allowed to. I mean in terms of ALL the images. If it's only some of them, in the form of captions, I don't think it'll be a problem though.

It'll probably be top 10, with images probably repeating.

You bring up a good point, and I do have to screen cap to get the pictures themselves (can't link directly from WWE.com). Maybe we should keep it to the forums to not draw attention to it?

I don't know how far fair use can go and even the Unnecessary Censorship concept is treading a line I'm sure. Both *MAY* fall under parody.

I'm probably dropping UC, though. Not enough interest, at least for creating it. I'd be willing to maybe make it a daily feature and do it myself, though.

The Mackem
02-05-2009, 09:56 AM
Triple A, when you got the cease and desist notice - what year was it? Did you get it from WWF or WWE? If it was from WWF could you not ignore it? :shifty:

Xero
02-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Those damn pandas will sue anybody.

Triple Naitch
02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
That makes me a sad panda

Triple A
02-07-2009, 01:38 AM
OK I am gonna try to set up the new posting system right now. Hopefully it will work how I am hoping.

Also gonna mess around with the layout of the site some more. Move the features thing on top and change the way that looks in general... maybe add Better Wrestler in its own box on the main page? Could also do that with captions. Like have a random caption displayed in its own box, kinda like the Daily Video thing. Or caption of the day or week or whatever. I am just "thinking out loud" now.

And the Unnecessary Censorship thing doesn't have to be every day. I feel like you would def get tired of it, no? Weekly thing would be pretty cool though. Or whatever. It is all up to however you wanna do it. Could even just be a one time special feature if you wanna do that. I knwo you already have a few good ones from the last thread.

OK OK I am gonna try to get this thing working right now. <3 everybody FOR REAL. Thanks everyone for helping/offering to help me out with this shit.

-edit- OK I think I got it more or less working, besides a bunch of customization I still have to do that is giving me a huge ass headache right now. I will work on it more later.

Xero
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
I think for the Censorship one I'll do one article with what I already have (like an introduction) and then make it a one-a-week deal.

As for the captions, I like the idea of the random caption on the front page. I also figured out what I'm going to do for the feature. I'll have the top five of the week in a post and a separate "Caption of the Week/Month" page where the top one of each week and month will be posted. We'll only upload (to TPWW) the top five images of every week to keep it low, but I'll link each week to each of their forum threads.

Triple A
02-09-2009, 01:48 AM
Alright I really need some opinions about the whole users able to post thing...

The posting page will be here btw: http://www.tpww.net/submit/ It is live but it is not finished yet obviously so don't submit anything yet. Just showing as an early draft example of the "system".

Anyway, my main question is this... should I enable comments to be posted on each post? Or should I just forget about the comments thing? If I do enable comments, everything posted to the main page will automatically be posted to a forum here too and then everyone can reply to each thread regularly.

This is fine but the main problem I can think of with this system is this... if a new person wants to join to be able to submit news, they have to also join the forum and go through that whole "process" and get approved and everything. If I just disable the whole forum integration thing, they would be able to just quickly sign up through the built in WordPress registration/login system, which is way simpler, and would allow them to post news immediately.

What do you guys think would be better? Also are comments even necessary? What happened last time is that a lot of posts just had 0 comments and it doesn't look too good honestly. I mean some news items, there is nothing you can say to them, so they go on with 0 comments and it looks stupid. But if I do disable comments, the news won't be posted to the forum. I guess we should do the forum thing though eh?

Again, thinking out loud.

Also found out a way to post the actual Better Wrestler poll on the main page so I can include the poll instead of just linking to the forum page. So I will probably just add a Better Wrestler "box" somewhere on the site since it's updated like every 3 days anyway. And next to that I will probably add the caption thing I mentioned before.

Destor
02-09-2009, 01:56 AM
Yeah, I'd axe the posting comments on the site, but that's just me.

KYR
02-09-2009, 07:56 PM
So, if you disable comments would any news item posted still have to be approved by a mod before it is visible to everyone?

If so then I would agree with Des and say "Yes" disable the comments.

Any "news" item that would be good for open discussion could then be "quoted" in the General Wrestling Forum (which basically happens now anyway) and everyone can comment/post accordingly from there.

The "News" section (IMO) should be just news items and a reference source.

Xero
02-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I agree with KYR.

Also, I'd like to see rules set for the posting. IE: Properly sourcing everything and no advertising.

The Mackem
02-10-2009, 08:58 AM
CANDICE MICHELLE FAT & FLABBY PHOTOS - OMG - YUUUUCCCKKKK!!! (http://www.thewrestlinganswer.com/specials/)

Triple A
02-10-2009, 09:25 AM
:nono:

The Mackem
02-11-2009, 04:27 AM
May just be me but I'm noticing a hell of a lot of people joining and actually posting, especially in the wrestling forum, lately. I think these changes are working well, keep it up.

Xero
02-11-2009, 12:39 PM
Trips, how will I post the captions? Through the submit form or should I send them to you?

BigDaddyCool
02-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Make BDC do it

What are we making BDC do?

Triple A
02-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Trips, how will I post the captions? Through the submit form or should I send them to you?
Could do it either way... I will set up a posting account for you when I get home later tonight. Also I will figure out a way to integrate it into the layout.

Xero
02-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Sounds good. :y:

The Mackem
02-12-2009, 02:42 AM
It's hard to keep up with all these new guys, every topic is filling up with them.