PDA

View Full Version : What's the turnaround on Gamefly, generally?

Kane Knight
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
So I am completely in love with Netflix now, given I've seen like 20 movies this month for free, and even after my tirla's over, it costs me about 2 local rentals a month. Game rentals around here are a joke, since there's almost nothing, even at the local Blockbuster (the only major store we have, no less), so I'm wondering if I'm going to get the same kind of turnaround and quality from Gamefly if I sign up, especially since I'm paying more a month (granted, I'm not complaining. I'll pay more for a game rental if it saves me 30 to 60 bucks on a game it turns out I only want to play for two days).

So how's the turnaround and quality and shit? Lot of problems, or does it run smooth?

D Mac
01-30-2009, 03:16 PM
There's usually a long wait on new games.

G
01-30-2009, 03:41 PM
During my 10 day trial, I never received my first game. By the time the trial ended the replacement disc came. After mailing it back, I get the game received email 6 days after sending it (I live 4 hours from the distribution center), and after they email me saying they haven't received it and I will be charged.

Needless to say, I will not be paying for a membership with them.

HeartBreakMan2k
01-31-2009, 05:17 PM
I use Gamefly and love it. There is a long turnaround on new releases if you don't have them on your list before they release, but generally I get my games 5 days after returning the last.

PapaGeorgio
01-31-2009, 06:53 PM
I do not recommend it personally. I tried it for about 3 months and didn't enjoy the service. Turn around time was terrible, nothing like Netflix at all. Took almost a month for me to get a game once, I e-mailed them and proceeded to cancel. They offered me a discounted rate for a month but wasn't for me.

Actually maybe you should try it out for month or two just to see how it works for you. Personally was too much of hassle for me.

HeartBreakMan2k
01-31-2009, 07:08 PM
It does seem to be hit or miss from general areas too I've noticed. Like all of my friends here who have it love it, where as I've seen other general areas bash it.

Kane Knight
01-31-2009, 09:10 PM
It does seem to be hit or miss from general areas too I've noticed. Like all of my friends here who have it love it, where as I've seen other general areas bash it.

A friend of mine tried it and had bad service. He's a town over, but if it's a location based issue, I'm betting mine wouldn't be better.

However, I wanted a wider opinion. Maybe I should try it, as PG indicated.

PapaGeorgio
01-31-2009, 11:30 PM
The main problem I had is picking games too. They are all over you to pick 10 games to put on your queue. But there ain't 10 fucking games I really want to play that badly. And your "queue" is more of a we'll just pick whatever game on your list and send it to you. And I'd want newer games which were in short demand.

Were as with Netflix I rarely have any of those sort of issues. However with Netflix I rarely request newer movies.

Also my friend lives about 2 towns over and never had as much issues as I did. And he'd only put one game on his queue at a time to assure he'd get the game he'd wanted. But yeah we live on state line so we both in different states. So locations could def have part to play with it. But my experience was bad. My solution is to just buy used games on eBay, play them for as long as I want and flip them back on eBay.

This all isn't really flowing well but got another thing to add. Another downfall that I think should be pointed to you as you liked how much you were able to watch with Netflix, don't expect the same. It almost may be cheaper to rent at a store. For me if I was lucky it would take a week for them to send, I'd keep it maybe week or two, and then another week for them to get it back and decide to send out another one. I was lucky to get 2 games at in a month. Part of it depends how long you keep the games for obviously, but I def wasn't happy with it.

PapaGeorgio
01-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Also if you are looking for wider option that may be best. Main thing I love about Netflix is I can find just about anything, which video stores don't have. Imagine Gamefly will have same advantage. Do suggest my ebay flipping idea too, haven't really tested it that much yet though.

D Mac
02-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Just reactivated my account. 2 at a time so we'll see what happens. Also, when you sign up there's a $20 "activation" fee they don't tell you about. You get it back within a few days but I think you have to have it even for a free trial.

G
02-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Just reactivated my account. 2 at a time so we'll see what happens. Also, when you sign up there's a $20 "activation" fee they don't tell you about. You get it back within a few days but I think you have to have it even for a free trial.

Yeah, they held it on my account during my trial. It was released after a few days.

D Mac
02-04-2009, 04:08 PM
lol, they shipped the 2 games at the bottom of the Q.

PapaGeorgio
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Told you they have no sense of queue. You get the old games you ain't as interested in first. Or you just put what you really want on queue and takes FOREVER.