PDA

View Full Version : The Black Donnellys

Mr. Nerfect
02-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Has anyone seen this show? I tried to find a thread on it, but a search yielded nothing. To my basic knowledge of the show, it's about an Irish family caught up with the mob. It's got involvement from Paul Haggis, who wrote good shit like Million Dollar Baby and Crash.

I'm just about to start watching it, but I wanted to know what people thought about it. I can't imagine it being crappy, but let's talk.

ClockShot
02-12-2009, 09:01 AM
I made a thread for this last year. But after Triple A went to war with the servers, it probably got lost.

But yeah, awesome show. Got picked on cause people thought it was a rip-off of The Sopranos. But on the bright side, it set off Olivia Wilde's career.

Mr. Nerfect
02-12-2009, 09:50 AM
I just watched the first two episodes. Not bad. To be honest, the music sort of annoyed me. It seems every seen has some sort of music playing in the background. The acting and the story seems pretty intense, though.

Going to keep giving it a shot. So far it impressed me more than Mad Men has. I think putting it on NBC was a mistake, though. That network is way too mainstream to handle something like this. HBO or Showtime might have treated it a bit better.

Definitely not a Sopranos rip-off. It seems The Donnellys can't sit still for more than a minute. I'll admit the kinetic energy of the show is a refreshing change from most. A very different flavour to The Sopranos, though. And yes, Olivia Wilde is very hot.

Boondock Saint
02-12-2009, 01:38 PM
I was looking forward to it but wasn't impressed. Yeah I think the fact that it was on NBC hurt it but it really wasn't that great overall.

If you want a great show about the Irish mob checkout Brotherhood on SHowtime.

Mr. Nerfect
02-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I'll certainly do that. :y:

Hopefully The Black Donnellys picks up in quality, because as of right now, I'd only call it "good" or a high level of "okay." It's certainly not great, and if it was as expensive to produce as it looks like it is, then I can understand why NBC cut it as the ratings were steadily declining week-in and week-out. They could have at least finished the season, though, and not just aired it on NBC.com.