PDA

View Full Version : It's not the 25th anniversary of Wrestlemania

Dorkchop
02-17-2009, 12:42 PM
That's next year. This is really bothering me.... to the point where I have to complain about it on the internet.

Team Sheep
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I know.

#1-norm-fan
02-17-2009, 01:01 PM
This is bad news for all those people who are so happy that they were the first ones to prepare their WrestleMania 25th anniversary party for '09.

Whilst here I am, with the hotel already booked for the real party in '10. Who's laughing now???!!!???!!!

Legend Killer
02-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Definition of Anniversary-
the date on which an event occurred in some previous year (or the celebration of it)

You could take the first Mania to be a celebration of Wrestling... So technically it could be considered an anniversary, but when it comes to Mania itself, you have a valid point.

I bet it was Michael Cole's Idea.

Anybody Thrilla
02-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Whatever, it's still the 25th one, and that a big deal.

Dorkchop
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM

Xero
02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
ROCK BOTTOM INTO THE DOG POOP!

Hanso Amore
02-17-2009, 03:28 PM
the date on which an event occurred in some previous year (or the celebration of it)

You could take the first Mania to be a celebration of Wrestling... So technically it could be considered an anniversary, but when it comes to Mania itself, you have a valid point.

Wow...You just done owned them newbs.

Team Sheep
02-17-2009, 03:32 PM
It is the 25th edition, though if you go by calender years, Wrestlemania has only existed for 24 years. Lol whatever.

CSL
02-17-2009, 03:53 PM
This has been pointed out multiple times before as I found out Sunday night

Jeritron
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
I"m sure they're aware of this too. It's simply because it's easier to call the 25th one the 25th anniversary. Doesn't really matter.

Dorkchop
02-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Or Vince is too old and stubborn to admit it's not right.

Oh, old people.

I wonder how many people backstage have brought this up.

Juan
02-17-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm sure the only people that actually care are on the internet.

Xero
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
How do you know that WrestleMania's plans weren't already in motion in March of 1984? If that's true, it's technically correct.

Savio
02-17-2009, 04:54 PM
OoOoOoOoO

Mr. Nerfect
02-17-2009, 05:52 PM
25 years is a silver anniversary. No one gives a shit about the number 26, so no one cares about the scientific definition of the 25th anniversary. It is the the 25th one, and it is an anniversary.

Wasn't 2001 meant to be the technical new millenium? Yeah, people gave a massive shit about that.

Afterlife
02-17-2009, 05:55 PM

No, it couldn't. Because Mani 1 was the first one, not the first annual. There was no Mania 0. Mania 2 was the first anniversary.

Your wedding isn't the first anniversary of being in love. But your first anniversary is your first anniversary, because you've then been married for a year.

If you can't tell, this has been irritating me, too.

Afterlife
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm sure the only people that actually care are on the internet.

Oddly enough, those people also exist in the real world.

Xero
02-17-2009, 05:57 PM
This is a common usage of the word anyway.

For fucks' sake, I knew the IWC was finicky, but this is ridiculous.

Mr. Nerfect
02-17-2009, 05:59 PM
This is a common usage of the word anyway.

For fucks' sake, I knew the IWC was finicky, but this is ridiculous.

Exactly. Sometimes things just take on a meaning of their own.

Did you know that Chairman doesn't designate itself to a male? The "man" in "Chairman" represents "manual." That doesn't mean Stephanie McMahon is going to come out announced as "Chairman of World Wrestling Entertainment" when she takes over.

Blue Demon
02-17-2009, 06:09 PM
What the hell is a Chairmanual? :?:

Tornado
02-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Wrestlemania 26 - The 25th Anniversary

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it really.

KYR
02-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Speaking of Wrestlemania, which 'Mania did Michael Jackson wrestle in????

Xero
02-17-2009, 06:48 PM
He wrestled in no WrestleMania?

:shifty:

Afterlife
02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
WrestleMania x ?

thedamndest
02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
You'd better go tell all the old people celebrating their 50th wedding anniversaries that they're gonna need to make sure to make sure to take their Metamucil in order to see their actual 50th anniversary.

Mr. Nerfect
02-17-2009, 07:35 PM
What the hell is a Chairmanual? :?:

It's not Chairmanual. That is why they made it "Chairman." "Chairmanual" sounds stupid. It is someone in the chair who manually operates a meeting. It stems from tenth century England, when someone would be the only one seated in a chair, while everyone else had benches. This chair represented authority.

I've also heard that it is someone who "manages" the chair. Either way, it's not inherently meant to be a gender-specific term. But still, people take it as such. The point it that people give their own meaning to things. By all laws and logic, "LOL" shouldn't mean a damn thing, but pretty soon it'll be in the dictionary (if it's already not).

Supreme Olajuwon
02-17-2009, 07:39 PM
I pretty sure you just made that all up.

thedamndest
02-17-2009, 08:17 PM
Maybe the gender-bias is in the word "manage."

KYR
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
How do you "manage" a chair anyway????

Xero
02-17-2009, 11:04 PM
If anyone could do it, it's Bobby Heenan.

loopydate
02-17-2009, 11:05 PM
25 years is a silver anniversary. No one gives a shit about the number 26, so no one cares about the scientific definition of the 25th anniversary. It is the the 25th one, and it is an anniversary.

Wasn't 2001 meant to be the technical new millenium? Yeah, people gave a massive shit about that.

Just the people who could count.

Jeritron
02-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Again, so pointless. The new millenium technically began in 2001, but you didn't see the whole world complaining. Sometimes it's just easier to celebrate things at certain times. Celebrating the 25th anniversary at the 25th wrestlemania just makes sense, even if it's only the 24th.
It's more lame sounding to celebrate the 25th anniversary at Wrestlemania 26.

The only meaning it holds is that which the fans and company place on it. It doesn't have to be science.

You ever celebrate a birthday on a friday, or on the same day as another friends, just because it makes sense and it's easier?

Legend Killer
02-18-2009, 11:05 PM
Or Vince is too old and stubborn to admit it's not right.

Oh, old people.

I wonder how many people backstage have brought this up.

His head hasn't been right ever since Orton punted him in the head... Poor Man.

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Just the people who could count.

I know plenty of people that can count. I can't count them, but I know they didn't give a shit about it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2009, 11:15 PM
How do you "manage" a chair anyway????

You don't manage a chair. You manage from it.

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Again, so pointless. The new millenium technically began in 2001, but you didn't see the whole world complaining. Sometimes it's just easier to celebrate things at certain times. Celebrating the 25th anniversary at the 25th wrestlemania just makes sense, even if it's only the 24th.
It's more lame sounding to celebrate the 25th anniversary at Wrestlemania 26.

The only meaning it holds is that which the fans and company place on it. It doesn't have to be science.

You ever celebrate a birthday on a friday, or on the same day as another friends, just because it makes sense and it's easier?

Exactly. Besides, just don't link 25th and anniversary together so rigidly. Make WrestleMania the subject, and not the anniversary. Every subsequent WrestleMania of the first is going to be an anniversary, and it is the 25th WrestleMania. Both "25th" and "anniversary" apply to WrestleMania. They're just buzz words thrown out to promote the event.

Legend Killer
02-18-2009, 11:26 PM
It's kind of like getting pissed off about Wrestlemania 16 being referred to as Wrestlemania 2000.

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2009, 11:52 PM
It's kind of like getting pissed off about Wrestlemania 16 being referred to as Wrestlemania 2000.

I personally don't get the big hubbub there. It was the WrestleMania that took place in the double-0 year of "2000." It's WrestleMania 2000. What else could they advertise it as? "WrestleMania could legally fuck if it were living in most states of Australia?"

2000 seems much more interesting to me than "16." Or "XVI."

Juan
02-19-2009, 12:07 AM
I think Legend Killer was agreeing with you Noid.

Mr. Nerfect
02-19-2009, 12:28 AM
I think Legend Killer was agreeing with you Noid.

I know. I was agreeing with him. ;)

loopydate
02-19-2009, 01:04 AM
And there's no reason to be upset about WrestleMania 2000. It was WrestleMania. It happened in 2000.

However, WrestleMania - 25th Anniversary is occuring on the 24th anniversary. Now, if they were calling this the 25th WrestleMania or - probably more appropriately - Wrestlemania 25, no one would have a problem with it. Or, hell, call it the Silver Anniversary, since silver was just sort of arbitrarily assigned the number 25 with no actual numerical significance. There is any number of ways they can utilize the fact that 25 is a significant number without looking like retards who don't know the meaning of the word "anniversary."

Juan
02-19-2009, 01:24 AM
Now, if they were calling this the 25th WrestleMania or - probably more appropriately - Wrestlemania 25, no one would have a problem with it. Or

No one has a problem with it except you tards that are making a big deal out of something meaningless.

loopydate
02-19-2009, 01:29 AM
It is a big deal. Words have meanings. There's actually a big ol' book full of them. Let's try using them correctly, shall we?

Juan
02-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Just seems like a silly thing to get hung up on. Next you'll be getting mad that there is no E on the WWE logo.

loopydate
02-19-2009, 01:46 AM
Nah. It's just a logo. There's no C, B, or S on the CBS eye. But remind me to tell my girlfriend that I don't need to get her anything for our six month anniversary, because we already had it five months to the day after we started dating.

Juan
02-19-2009, 01:50 AM
I don't think you'll have a problem as long as WWE doesn't book your anniversary.

The Show Off
02-19-2009, 02:00 AM
Nah. It's just a logo. There's no C, B, or S on the CBS eye. But remind me to tell my girlfriend that I don't need to get her anything for our six month anniversary, because we already had it five months to the day after we started dating.

I thought you said words have meanings anniversary takes its meaning from the word annual which means yearly. Therefore celebrating a six month anniversary is a farce. You can't have an anniversary one something that isn't occuring yearly or annually.

Doesn't that sound unreasonably stupid to you?

Of course you should spend some good time and make your six months with your girlfriend be special. And even more who cares if you call it your six month anniversary even though based on semantics saying that is incorrect.

Therefore calling Wrestlemania 25 the 25th Anniversary is an equally stupid battle of semantics.

Mr. Nerfect
02-19-2009, 08:45 AM
Ouch. But still, people call those little things "anniversaries," too. It's not a big deal. Sure, the word has a technical meaning, but popular culture breathes its ugly little head into them, and gives them a new life, leaving the true meaning as trivia.

Besides, anyone I've met celebrates their "sixth month anniversary" when they reach six months. They don't do it on the seventh month, because you're celebrating a month, so a sixth month celebration of a month should technically take place on the seventh.

V
02-19-2009, 02:23 PM
are you fucking serious

this is bugging you?

i wish my problems were this mundane

Kane Knight
02-19-2009, 03:19 PM
It's not Chairmanual. That is why they made it "Chairman." "Chairmanual" sounds stupid. It is someone in the chair who manually operates a meeting. It stems from tenth century England, when someone would be the only one seated in a chair, while everyone else had benches. This chair represented authority.

I've also heard that it is someone who "manages" the chair. Either way, it's not inherently meant to be a gender-specific term. But still, people take it as such. The point it that people give their own meaning to things. By all laws and logic, "LOL" shouldn't mean a damn thing, but pretty soon it'll be in the dictionary (if it's already not).

these definitions must come from the Aussie dictionary. ;)

Kane Knight
02-19-2009, 03:21 PM
are you fucking serious

this is bugging you?

From the guy who thought Mania was ruined when someone mentioned Austin was showing up (as advertised, no less). :p

FourFifty
02-19-2009, 03:29 PM
are you fucking serious

this is bugging you?

In other news I heard that Austin was going to me at WrestleMania :shifty:

V
02-19-2009, 04:00 PM
heh i actually forgot about that

man that was a while ago, oh how i've changed :(

Kane Knight
02-19-2009, 04:01 PM