PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions...

Lord-Of-Darkness
02-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Ok, so I just finished watching Summerslam 97 from the Anthology set. I have two questions regarding that event.

First of all, Shawn Michaels. At this PPV he was a face guest referee between Undertaker and Bret Hart.

How did he get from this to DX and being a heel before Survivor Series(And on a side note, when did Bad Bloodd happen? It was obviously after this, and I'm guessing after Survivor Series 97 as the Cell match was for the title. Was it December?)

The second question regards the Austin/Owen tombstone incident.

Obviously Austin won with the roll up that night. Now did he give up the title afterwards? And either way, did they pick up a feud with them again relvolving around the incident?

Disturbed316
02-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Not sure about the time frame for the DX thing, but he was hanging around with Hunter, Chyna, Rude shortly before Badd Blood which happened in October, around the 17th or 18th. Whenever it was, it was when they found out that Brian Pillman had died during the night as they announced it during the show. The Hell in a Cell match wasn't for the the title, as it was still held by Bret at the time.

As for the Owen/Austin thing, it was mentioned a fair bit. Eventually because Austin was unable to wrestle and because he couldn't wrestle he couldn't defend the title. They set up a tournament for a new Intercontinental Champion, with the final happening at Badd Blood. Match was between Owen and Faarooq, which Owen won after Austin (who was commentating at ring side) hit Faarooq in the head with the IC title, allowing Owen to get the win and the title. After that though, I cant quite remember what happened, but thats the main bulk of it.

CSL
02-20-2009, 06:14 PM
After that, the greatest T-shirt in wrestling history was released (Owen 3:16 - I just broke your neck)

Owen dropped the belt back to Austin at/in Montreal

thedamndest
02-20-2009, 06:21 PM
That was more than two questions.

Disturbed316
02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh man, how could I forget Owen 3:16 :D

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/nicklaus/99/owen316.jpg

Loose Cannon
02-22-2009, 04:31 PM
To add to Disturbed's post. After Owen won the IC Title with help from Austin, it basically set up thier match at Survivor Serie 97, which Austn won. Thier whole feud pretty much ended at this point. The Montreal Screjob occured, Owen was gone for a couple weeks and then he returned at the In Your House PPV in December (??) I believe to attack Shawn Michaels.

Hanso Amore
02-23-2009, 08:01 PM
THen Austin fueded with the Rock right? Took the title, Austin moved to the World title, and Rock vs HHH began.

Loose Cannon
02-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Yes, you are correct. And Owen feuded with Trips during all that.

RatedGSuperstar
02-24-2009, 12:12 PM
I've been watching the lead up to WM XIV on one of the various RAW is WAR era streams, and the HHH/Owen feud was pretty good. I missed the start of it, though, so I have a question of my own -- Trips was on crutches for a lot of that feud, claiming to have a torn meniscus in his knee (or something along those lines)...was that a legit injury, or was it a heelish attempt to avoid wrestling Owen for the Euro title? I know Michaels injured his back at RR that year, making the HBK/Austin (with Tyson) match at Wrestlemania his unofficial retirement match, but were they both legitimately injured at the time, or just Michaels?

NeanderCarl
02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Genuine injury which reoccurred later in the year, forcing Triple H to forfeit the IC title he had won from The Rock at SummerSlam 98 (and costing him his place in the Deadly Games WWF title tournament at Survivor Series; he was replaced by X-Pac).

RatedGSuperstar
02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
Interesting...thanks Carl. I don't believe there's a mention of the legit injury on his Wiki page so that's why I wasn't sure.

Loose Cannon
02-25-2009, 12:14 PM
The coolest thing about the HHH injury was his return from it saving X-pac from losing the European Title to Shamrock. Shamrock had X-pac in the ankle lock right in the middle of the ring after an attack by Bossman I believe. Then HHH comes from the crowd, hops the barricade and kicks Shamrock right in the head. The crowd went nuts

NeanderCarl
02-26-2009, 07:26 PM
HHH of mid-to-late 98 could have evolved into one of the biggest babyfaces of all time... check out the crowd reaction when he beat the Rock at SummerSlam. Madness.

Conversely, when he first turned heel and joined the Corporation in mid 99, he couldn't produce heat with a matchstick.

(He has a certain Mr M. Foley to thank for changing that... not that he ever would.)

Fabien Barthez
03-03-2009, 12:32 AM
Rock Vs HHH was a good match......

Thats all I have to add.