PDA

View Full Version : Kinda bummed... let's make this the biggest disappointments in gaming thread.

Funky Fly
02-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Let's discuss the biggest let downs in gaming history and the moments where you are on the verge of glory but get shot down due to boss cheapness, bugs or whatever. Anyway, why I posted this shit:

So I'm playing through Super Robot Taisen: OG for GBA on my DS (never finished it for whatever reason) and I have been semi-regularly for the last 3 months level grinding certain characters and shit mostly, to get all the secret shit. And this game is a turn based strategy in the vein of Fire Emblem, but with giant robots.

Yeah, so I'm playing and I get to this point where I need to blow up a certain boss dude, who will pussy out and leave when his health is halved. See, there is a hidden weapon in the game that is "teh uber" as the kids say and you only get it by doing this in hard mode. So being a boss he has like 45676345768367846678.275 HP and only Supreme attack with the double damage spell and a support attack from an adjacent teammate will take this guy down, right? Right. So I line up the 2 best attackers in the 2 best mechs I have and get to it.

He has 300 fucking HP left. And I don't have my bad ass weapon. Fuck! :mad:

No problem, redo the level, right? 6 times later with every combination that could possible work and fuck all. FUCK! :mad::mad::mad:

No problem, all I gotta do is start the game over, work my ass through 26 missins and level grind semi-regularly for another 3 months, right? FUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Alas, I have moved on with no hope for getting that weapon because I didn't level grind for like a half hour more. :'(:'(:'(

At least I still have just about all the other secrets unlocked or at least half way there to being unlocked. This one was by far the hardest. :-\

And then I think back on how because of licensing this and SWT:OG 2 are probably the only Super Robot Wars/Taisen games that will ever come Stateside. :(

Funky Fly
02-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Fuck. Top it off with this being in the wrong forum. :'(

Mackem is going to have a field day with this.

Bad Company
02-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Dungeon Siege 2

Anathema
02-24-2009, 01:44 AM
I cant recall any game moments at present because I am too depressed. My 360 is 17000km away and I havent played a game in over 150 days. I got a huge mental block :(

Anathema
02-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Ok I just Googled and found a X-Box Lounge 30 mins walk away. Sweet! Now I know what im doing tomorrow. I be able to give you a serious answer this time tomorrow Funky :D

Kalyx triaD
02-24-2009, 01:58 AM
Pfft, videogames are for nerds.

Funky Fly
02-24-2009, 02:06 AM
But my mom says I'm cool :(

AAA move this plz?

Fignuts
02-24-2009, 02:29 AM
When I was a little kid, after playing the teenage mutant ninja turtles arcade game, I begged my parents to buy it for me for nintendo. Luckily my birthday was coming up. Little did I know, that the TMNT game that was out for nintendo at the time, was NOT the one in the arcades. It was an utter crapfest, and I almost cried on the spot. But I didn't want to make my mom feel bad so I MANNED UP (at like age 6; take notes sammyg) and smiled and acted happy.

Fignuts
02-24-2009, 02:30 AM
But I was dead inside.

Funky Fly
02-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Yeah, you were thinking of Turtles 2. Way to man up at 6 tho.

thedamndest
02-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Maybe Turtles 2 wasn't OUT YET.

Fignuts
02-24-2009, 02:55 AM
It wasn't even out for nintendo at that point. Remember the 2 added stages to that, tho?

Seriously had conniptions over those damn magical tiger things that came out of the wall.

thedamndest
02-24-2009, 02:57 AM
I loaned my TMNT tape to a neighborhood kid and it was returned with glitter on it. I'm not clear on how that happened, but I still have it and it is probably the most fabulous copy of TMNT around.

Boondock Saint
02-24-2009, 03:53 AM
He bedazzled it.

The Mackem
02-24-2009, 08:22 AM
This is a crime against the VG Forum.

ct2k
02-24-2009, 09:26 AM
I do not understand any of this

Anybody Thrilla
02-24-2009, 12:14 PM
That first Turtles game was fucking impossible. That's probably one of my biggest disappointments. I could never get past that level where you had to diffuse the bombs underwater. I think there were six, but I could only ever do four. God damn it.

At least Turtles in Time was the shit.

G
02-24-2009, 01:10 PM
Not being able to beat TMNT. :(

Anybody Thrilla
02-24-2009, 01:13 PM
We should start a support group, G.

The Mask
02-24-2009, 01:25 PM
mine was that shenmue never continued :( i loved that game.

Anybody Thrilla
02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Let me also tell you about how ECSTATIC I was for WCW Nitro to be released on Playstation. Months of anticipation, and I thought the graphics looked AMAZING from what I had seen (I was pretty wrong there). The day it came out, I had to call four different places before I found a Toy R' Us (about 45 minutes away) that had a copy. My grandpa took me to go get it, and when I finally got back home to play it....

.....it was the worst fucking game to ever exist and I was just gutted. :(

#BROKEN Hasney
02-24-2009, 02:04 PM

Yeah. Everyone shoulda bought the DC :(

Funky Fly
02-24-2009, 02:30 PM
They did make a Shenmue II for the original Xbox. No Shenmue III tho.
Let me also tell you about how ECSTATIC I was for WCW Nitro to be released on Playstation. Months of anticipation, and I thought the graphics looked AMAZING from what I had seen (I was pretty wrong there). The day it came out, I had to call four different places before I found a Toy R' Us (about 45 minutes away) that had a copy. My grandpa took me to go get it, and when I finally got back home to play it....

That was the worst thing about gaming back when the internet was still just for cheat codes. No way to see ahead of time whether a game was total poo.

Anybody Thrilla
02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
I subscribed to GamePro magazine, though! I think they just gave every game at least decent reviews though in hopes of boosting the industry. I feel like I've been had.

The Mask
02-24-2009, 02:33 PM
yeah thats what i mean. there was shenmue 2 for the dreamcast too, i played that. in some ways it was better than the first, in others less so. but yeah, until i've kicked the fuck out of lan di i'm not going to be happy.

Funky Fly
02-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I subscribed to GamePro magazine, though! I think they just gave every game at least decent reviews though in hopes of boosting the industry. I feel like I've been had.
And now EGM is dead, while crap like Gamepro lives on. :'(
yeah thats what i mean. there was shenmue 2 for the dreamcast too, i played that. in some ways it was better than the first, in others less so. but yeah, until i've kicked the fuck out of lan di i'm not going to be happy.

Maybe Sega'll revive it. That series has one of the biggest and most vocal followings in gaming. You'll probably have to get a PS3 or Xbox 360 if the do tho.

Fignuts
02-24-2009, 02:52 PM

Hate when that happens. Cause then you sit there in like a delusional state, trying vainly to convince yourself that the game isn't absolute shit. Like "Oh, well at least the menu is in english!"

Anybody Thrilla
02-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Exactly. It was like, 'well, at least the nWo theme music is in the game', but it turns out it was a different version of THAT as well that was never even used on TV.

G
02-24-2009, 05:45 PM
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb50/RinnLover/Scorpion_escalator.gif

Fignuts
02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
lol

Vietnamese Crippler
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
And now EGM is dead, while crap like Gamepro lives on. :'(

Maybe Sega'll revive it. That series has one of the biggest and most vocal followings in gaming. You'll probably have to get a PS3 or Xbox 360 if the do tho.

This is a quote from two years ago, but I'm sure it still stands: “As for Shenmue, I would have to say at this stage, it is worth forgetting about. If all the fans get any rich relatives together and channel it though Dojo perhaps we could buy rights, hire Suzuki (he’d likely say yes) and independently make the game under license from Sega at no risk to them. That is the only way it will get made at this stage I think.”

Considering it took millions upon millions to do the first two games, I don't think anyone is willing to front the money for a third game :(

Crazy Nick
02-24-2009, 10:11 PM
Shenmue is my favorite game, I like everyone else would love to see a third installment, or finish the story in some form or fashion. Like Vietnamese Crippler said though, it took millions just to make the first two, but hopefully they will make a third one anyways..... someday

Fignuts
02-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Why the hell did it cost so much?

Vietnamese Crippler
02-25-2009, 01:17 AM
Because Yu Suzuki don't hold NOTHING back.

Fignuts
02-25-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't know what that means.

Vietnamese Crippler
02-25-2009, 01:59 AM
The director of Shenmue, Yu Suzuki, wanted to spend as much as it took to bring his vision to life.

Anybody Thrilla
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
It was on Dreamcast, for fuck sake. Nothing should cost millions on Dreamcast.

G
02-25-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah come on, show me some concrete evidence it cost millions to make.

Fignuts
02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Seriously.

Did they hire halle berry to do the programming topless?

Requiem
02-25-2009, 12:20 PM
I was about to ask why people thought millions was a lot of money when it came to video game development, and then I saw that it was on Dreamcast. :lol:

Fignuts
02-25-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I know some of the games today cost millions, but shenmue? Really?

wwe2222
02-25-2009, 04:29 PM
That first Turtles game was fucking impossible. That's probably one of my biggest disappointments. I could never get past that level where you had to diffuse the bombs underwater. I think there were six, but I could only ever do four. God damn it.

At least Turtles in Time was the shit.

I was able to get up to the Technodrome in the first Turtles game. Never made it to fighting Shredder through. That game was rough.

Vietnamese Crippler
02-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I have no hard proof, but it's been reported that Shenmue cost $70 million, although that could be accounting for Shenmue II and III. How close that is to the actual value, though, I have no idea. But this was back in the day when the tech was just starting to grow and you have to admit that Shenmue looked damn good for its day. And barring Yu Suzuki just flat out lying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmXVco0Bkyk

By comparison, GTAIV apparently cost $100 million.

G
02-25-2009, 07:26 PM
I have no hard proof, but it's been reported that Shenmue cost $70 million, although that could be accounting for Shenmue II and III. How close that is to the actual value, though, I have no idea. But this was back in the day when the tech was just starting to grow and you have to admit that Shenmue looked damn good for its day. And barring Yu Suzuki just flat out lying: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmXVco0Bkyk

By comparison, GTAIV apparently cost $100 million.

$100 million :eek:

Damn, I wonder if they made profit yet.

Funky Fly
02-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Considering they've sold millions upon millions of copies, yes.

Funky Fly
02-25-2009, 09:11 PM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9938601-52.html

Read it and weep.

Vietnamese Crippler
02-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Why do I want to weep?

Funky Fly
02-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Because you will never make that much money in your life let alone in a single day? I dunno, I just used that expression there because it involved the words "read it". Stop making me think about things. :mad:

The Mask
02-25-2009, 09:47 PM
shenmue was absolutely epic for the time. every person you passed in the game had a life of their own. like you could literally pick a random character and follow them around and watch them shopping or playing in the arcade or whatever til they went home. you could talk to every person in the game and there was an incredible amount of detail, and the fight engine was pretty awesome too. it had a few flaws, practising moves on your own in an empty parking lot was boring as hell. at least in shenmue 2 you sparred with people which made it a little more entertaining. i would really be gutted if they didn't finish it off one day. i heard maybe they're going to make the whole series into one game rather than prolong it, but i can't remember for the life of me where i heard it now.

The Mask
02-25-2009, 09:49 PM
plus there was that fantastic 70 man fight at the end of the first one, and that awesome QTE/fight bit in the second where you had to go up floors of a building kicking the shit out of randoms, just like streets of rage.

god i loved that game.

D Mac
02-26-2009, 05:55 AM
Two Worlds and TNA Impact come to mind.