PDA

View Full Version : A big **** YOU to Valve

Buzzkill
03-27-2004, 04:47 PM
credit to: http://www.hl2world.com/article-177--0-0.html

Playing to internet users' biggest peeve, Valve is now serving up pop-up ads through their Steam Client.

Taking Ad-ware one step further, Steam will attempt to install a "locked version" of Counter-Strike Condition Zero on your PC wether you purchase it or not. This means, unless you go through Steams preferences and change the default options, your computer may unknowingly host Valve's software, regardless of your intent to own it or not.

While most adware programs quickly get uninstalled, Valve's new peer-dispersed program Steam is a necesarry download if you want to play its most popular games online. Noted one internet user, "I wonder if Ad-Aware will label steam as adware and try to remove it from my PC. I hate Valve for this, even if I love their games."

Noted another internet gamer "Since they gave me the game , if I figure out how to unlock it, is it mine to play? I thought it was illegal to secretly install programs on your PC?"

No word from Valve as to how many ads, or programs, it hopes to bring to users' hard drives.

--------------

FU</>CK YOU VALVE

road doggy dogg
03-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Wow that really is ****ing bullshit. Looks like UT2k4 is going to be my game of choice for a long long time.

DS
03-27-2004, 04:57 PM
Meh, Steam has been shit since they released it. Doesn't surprise me. I'm sure there will be fixes for that around a week after it starts anyway.

Vega
03-28-2004, 03:31 AM
Yeah...It's only a pop up ad for the game, and it only pops up once at the start when you go online with Steam, but still.

Buzzkill
03-28-2004, 05:51 PM
They are adding more than that vega