PDA

View Full Version : MLB 09: The Show

D Mac
03-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Just picked it up, will be playing later. They say it's still the most realistic baseball game on the market, and MLB 2K9 only got 6.8 or something from IGN.

You can create your own chants which is cool. Gonna create one mocking A-Rod and steroids. :D

G
03-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I was just telling Roxer that it was a pretty amazing year for my state. "We" won the Superbowl and World Series. Awesome chance for me to hoot and holler, but I just don't care. I DON'T CARE.

Boomer
03-07-2009, 04:47 PM
The Show has been the best baseball game on the market for years...probably since MVP. They haven't changed much, but they don't need to. 2K9 is pathetic in comparison.

Matt Vasgersian is probably my favorite part. Awesome announcer, in and out of the game.

OssMan
03-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Every baseball game ever created jobs to MVP 2005

Evil Vito
03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
<font color=goldenrod>If I had to pick one reason to have a PS3 instead on 360, it would be The Show. I almost want to buy a used PS3 just to get The Show and fuck around with the chants and custom songs. The MLB 2k series is complete garbage. Microsoft should throw together a team and put a baseball game together for 360 that copies The Show in every way.</font>

D Mac
03-07-2009, 06:46 PM

:nono:

G
03-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Triple Play 2000 on PS2 was great.

Started playing this again last night on my DS.

http://metsfanvt.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/02/14/Ken_Griffey_Jr._Presents_Major_League_Baseball_SNES_ScreenShot1.jpg

RoXer
03-07-2009, 07:05 PM
omggggggggg

G, I love more than ever now

G
03-07-2009, 07:16 PM
....I put on my robe and wizard hat. ;)

DaveWadding
03-07-2009, 07:38 PM

This.

Triple Naitch
03-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Games like these make me wish I had a PS3 instead of 360.

Boomer
03-07-2009, 11:50 PM
I'll still occasionally play it on the PSP, though it never has enticed me enough to play more than exhibition games on the handheld.

G
03-08-2009, 05:12 PM
With the weather warming up and it starting to feel like spring, I kind of want a baseball game to play. What would be recommended for 360.

Triple Naitch
03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
The only one is MLB2k9 or The Bigs. Both are meh.

D Mac
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
The Bigs is mad fun. But it's an arcade/Slugfest time game. I'd get MLB 2K7 if I were you, it's the best one, better then 2k8 or 9.

D Mac
03-08-2009, 05:41 PM
BTW The Bigs 2 is coming out in June, can't wait.

G
03-08-2009, 05:42 PM
They need Ken Griffey on Live Arcade.

D Mac
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Batting is a bitch on this game. Played 1 game and only had 2 fucking hits. Sure glad there's batting practice.

Gonna try Road to the Show later.

WestNZ
03-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Batting is a bitch on this game. Played 1 game and only had 2 fucking hits. Sure glad there's batting practice.

Gonna try Road to the Show later.

i know what you mean, 5 games played for me, and ony 6 hits. one game was a perfesct game

PorkSoda
03-09-2009, 04:54 AM
You can create chants in this game?

So you can say WHAT after everything?

D Mac
03-09-2009, 05:16 AM
Yep.

Played some Road to the Show. Announcers say your Full Name. (If it's common enough.) And my Batter walkup music is Hell Yeah by Rev Theory.

Anybody Thrilla
03-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I know that last year's Show was phenomonal, and the next time I'm at the mall, I will get this one.

toxic rooster
08-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Picked this one up off eBay recently. Phenomenally ridiculously awesomely real.

Hitting is pretty difficult when you first pick it up, but it's not meant to be easy. Just like irl in the bigs, the best hitters only succeed 3 times out of 10. Work your counts, the pitcher will throw probably only one or two hittable pitches per at-bat (ironically, just like a real MLB pitcher). A few more will be hittable maybe if you have him rattled. If you get to the 6th inning and he's thrown like 40 pitches, you're swinging too early too often.

Same with pitching man. Mix it up. Don't start every hitter out with a heater, or they'll start getting on you second time through the lineup. And waste pitches. Waste a lot of pitches ahead in the count

Started a Road to the Show with a submarining lefty in the Mariners organisation. Hilariously named him Chuck Ball

Blew a save down to the final strike tonight with K-Rod too. Needless to say my PS3 controller may need some extraction out of my wall.

toxic rooster
08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Oh, and if you're facing Johan and he's like 5-0 with a 0.62 ERA, you might not see a mistake pitch for several at-bats.

toxic rooster
08-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Just threw a 4-hit shutout. My life is complete

Evil Vito
08-07-2009, 02:07 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I honestly wish I could win a PS3 or something just for this game. Looks so amazing.</font>

RBM
08-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Game is pretty awesome.

Although at certain points, the game just flat out wants you to fail. They make the computer hitters all have the patience of real life Kevin Youkilis, which can be frustrating. My buddy made a power sinker pitcher and his defense commits anywhere from 2 to 5 errors per game, just to prevent him from pitching complete game shutouts every time. The manager also likes to inexplicably yank you from a great start in the 4th or 5th inning at times.

I haven't made a hitter on road to the show yet, but my pitcher has worked his way up to staff ace. I started on the Mariners, then got traded to the Angels and then the Diamondbacks, where I definitely don't want to be since I get no run support and the team tanks it by double digits every year so far.

Good stuff. Makes me glad I have a PS3.

toxic rooster
08-10-2009, 01:58 AM
Yup. Made myself a first baseman, got caught at the warning track like my first 6 at-bats in a row.

D Mac
08-10-2009, 04:29 AM
Road to the Show just takes too long. I just stick to Dynasty.

toxic rooster
08-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Yeah, it's taken me like a week to get halfway through spring training in my first season. How 'long' does it take to get to the Show

D Mac
08-10-2009, 04:37 AM
I'm assuming you have to get past AA, then go through AAA before you get called up. Dunno

toxic rooster
08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Depends, dunno. Like in the real majors they call up a lot of guys from AA, and when they get dropped they go back down to AAA. Maybe if you're good enough in AA you might get called straight up :I DUNNO:. HAS ANYONE MADE THE SHOW AND IS ABLE TO VERIFY THIS?

also I figure that if you're a position player who typically gets a lot of putouts (ie first base or catcher) your points will maybe be easier to attain as you get points for putouts and assists. Disappointed that as catcher you don't get to control the game, but I guess it would probably take years to reach the show if they made you do that. Shame because catcher is a defense position and all you can do is hit and gun down the occasional runner.

toxic rooster
08-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Also it may be harder in different organisations if they're deep in your position.

toxic rooster
08-10-2009, 12:06 PM
also ridicu-frustrating when you try to jam an 0-2 slider on a guy's hands and it gets him. ARGH

Evil Vito
12-26-2009, 01:09 AM
<font color=goldenrod>So, as mentioned in my birthday thread...I won money this week and was able to buy myself a birthday/Christmas present. So, I finally got that PS3, and my first game was, naturally, this one as I've been jonesing for a new baseball game in ages and the 2k series is unplayable.

Incredible game. Feel like I'm watching the real thing...I absorb all of the cutscenes and work the count, games take a good 90 minutes for me to complete, so I've stuck with playing maybe one game per series in Franchise Mode and then using Sportscast manager to take care of the rest. Also, because it takes very little time to upload music and give it to players, nearly all of the Mets have their proper tunes. :cool:

Definitely gonna be picking up the 2010 edition in a couple of months.</font>

Big Fat Mike
12-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Have fun playing as the Mets and finishing in 4th place six years straight.

Evil Vito
12-26-2009, 11:19 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Mets are actually really good in the game cause it came out before it was apparent that they were gonna get injuries up the ass. :(

Also, Wagner's there. Putz/Wagner/K-Rod = 6 inning games for me</font>

Big Fat Mike
12-27-2009, 12:00 AM
Live roster updates :foc:

toxic rooster
12-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah. Totally started a season as the mets, then put in the live updates and suddenly it wasn't so fun anymore

toxic rooster
12-27-2009, 12:23 AM
Also with regards to my previous posts, it took me a year of AA and a year of AAA, then a september callup and started my 3rd year in the show. Currently with the Nationals, we're like 20-40. Oh, and I'm leading the National League in average and RBIs. Yeah, RBIs. On the Nationals.

Evil Vito
12-27-2009, 08:15 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I haven't started Road to the Show yet, but I'm ecstatic that my name can actually be said by the announcers. Will make the whole thing feel even more authentic.</font>

toxic rooster
12-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Tore a finger ligament sliding into home just now. 60 day DL.

Probably just robbed me of ROTY. Dammit

Boomer
12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Road to the Show is fantastic. I've taken a break from it for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised if I returned to my pitcher.

Evil Vito
12-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Yeah. Totally started a season as the mets, then put in the live updates and suddenly it wasn't so fun anymore

<font color=goldenrod>Yeah, I'm usually anal about having an updated roster, but since the new game will be out in a few months and the fact that the Mets will be hella unfun to use, I just added the free agents to their teams (Manny to Dodgers, Dunn to Nats, Abreu to Angels, etc.) and began rewriting the 2009 campaign.

It'll likely be much happier than the real thing</font> :(

toxic rooster
12-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I wish real baseball could be fast-forwarded to the events that just involved me.

I also like being able to edit my hairstyle and accessories at any time, to reflect my real-life persona.

D Mac
12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
If MLB 10 isn't 10 times better, I'll just stick with this one.

toxic rooster
12-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah, there's only a few minor things I'd change about this game.

- I don't like the whole 'running through people' thing
- there only seems to be about 4 crowd members repeated over and over
- I'd like a few more 'mound visit' sound bytes. Kinda irritating hearing 'quit laying it in there, meat' 4 times a game
- In RTTS. If you have a runner on second and none out, you shouldn't lose points for moving him over.
- Also I'd like it if player's gloves would close all the way with the ball in there

that's pretty much it. Great game in general

toxic rooster
12-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Also the baserunning system in RTTS. Kinda confusing which way you need to point the stick sometimes

Evil Vito
12-29-2009, 09:29 AM
<font color=goldenrod>One thing I'm looking forward to in '10 is that you automatically start in Double A in RTTS, you have to earn the spring training invite like in real life...therefore theoretically when you get invited to Spring Training, there's a chance you actually make it to the Big League team.

Cause it was rather annoying that I created a starting pitcher, was slotted into the #5 spot for the Tigers in Spring, pitched well, and then not only started the season in Double A, but in the Double A bullpen.</font>

Big Fat Mike
12-29-2009, 09:48 AM
<font color=goldenrod>One thing I'm looking forward to in '10 is that you automatically start in Double A in RTTS, you have to earn the spring training invite like in real life...therefore theoretically when you get invited to Spring Training, there's a chance you actually make it to the Big League team.

Cause it was rather annoying that I created a starting pitcher, was slotted into the #5 spot for the Tigers in Spring, pitched well, and then not only started the season in Double A, but in the Double A bullpen.</font>

That's 'cause you suck .

CSL
12-29-2009, 09:53 AM
I've wanted to pick this up for a while but I don't know enough about baseball to really enjoy it as much as I could :-\

toxic rooster
12-29-2009, 09:55 AM
Nah, pretty annoying getting dominated in Spring for no reason

Evil Vito
12-29-2009, 10:38 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Got brought into a tie game in the 9th inning on the road, wound up throwing 4.2 scoreless innings.

After that I asked if I could get moved into the rotation (replacing a guy who has like a 9+ ERA) and the manager said not yet. :mad: Bastard.</font>

toxic rooster
12-29-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah, managers make ridic decisions sometimes. Leading the league in steals, the club has 4 first basemem and all outfield positions thin; I asked to be moved to centre field. Asshole said no.

Evil Vito
12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I love the inclusion of all the roster moves this year...but as of yet I have yet to make ANY moves. I'm in mid-May and still have the same 25 guys I had on my Opening Day roster. I've nearly sent a couple of guys down, but have yet to experience any injuries on the big league roster even though around the league nearly every team's gotten hit with something.

Feels odd saying it given that I'm using the Mets...but I might have to consider upping the injury slider soon for realism purposes.</font> :o

toxic rooster
12-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I've wanted to pick this up for a while but I don't know enough about baseball to really enjoy it as much as I could :-\

Listen to the announcers as you go. You'll actually learn a fair bit about the game as you play. It's quite close to real baseball as it is

shit, I've been around the game for 20 years and I'm still learning it

toxic rooster
12-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah, I'm at the All-Star break in my Dodgers season, no injuries yet. Furcal's hitting is giving me the shits, starting to consider if anyone would really notice if I just started Pierre at short :shifty:

Evil Vito
12-31-2009, 12:27 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I'm really starting to hate SportsCast Manager. I insist on using it because I don't want to just sim games I don't play, because I want control of my lineups/bullpen.

Problem is, the same shit happens every game I do in that. Batters will be fouling off pitches with 2 strikes and it'll ALWAYS result in a strikeout, never a hit or working out a walk. As such, my pitchers all have huge K rates, as do my batters.

Also, way too often will guys strike out after being up 3-0 or walk after being down 0-2. I know things like that happen in baseball, but not at the rate it occurs in the game.

My team still wins a lot of games, which I guess is all that really matters in the end...but as a statistics-oriented guy, it irks me that I'll probably wind up finishing the season with an awesome record but my players won't even sniff the major awards or have particularly impressive numbers due to the way SportsCast Manager functions during 2/3 of my games.</font>

toxic rooster
01-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Also catchers seem to be able to get out of their crouch unrealistically fast and track any low pop-ups.

Evil Vito
01-02-2010, 01:30 PM
<font color=goldenrod>And way too much emphasis is placed on hot/cold streaks IMO. I have Wright, Beltran, AND Reyes all cold and I can't get them started. Pitches that were once easy hits turn into groundouts, etc. Makes me paranoid that they are gonna be shit all season.

Conversely, Gary Sheffield comes off the bench and gets automatic hits.</font>

Nicky Fives
01-04-2010, 06:29 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I haven't started Road to the Show yet, but I'm ecstatic that my name can actually be said by the announcers. Will make the whole thing feel even more authentic.</font>

I know!!!!!! That's such an awesome feeling... especially if you have a less-than-common last name such as Smith or Andrews

Boomer
01-04-2010, 06:40 PM
They can't say my name at all, but of course they can still say Boomer.

toxic rooster
01-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Whenever my name gets announced it attracts the attention of half the house. Crazy stuff

Also got traded from the Nationals to the Orioles. Good things happening in my career. Was in line for the NL MVP too. What happens with guys that go from NL to AL, like are they eligible for NL, AL or neither?

Evil Vito
01-05-2010, 12:52 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Holy shit, some games can be so exciting. Was just playing the final game of the Subway Series at Citi Field. Johan vs. Burnett. Johan throws 7 scoreless but gets no run support. J.J. Putz comes in to pitch the 8th, gets 2 outs, then surrenders a double to Matsui. I intentionally walk Cano to bring up the pitcher spot. Girardi chooses to leave Burnett in after he too threw 7 scoreless, despite being at like 100 pitches. I strike him out to end the inning.

Reyes leads off with a single, and Girardi then pulls Burnett in favor of Damaso Marte. Nothing comes of it though as I fail to score. Wagner pitches a perfect 9th. Marte gets two quick outs and then Fernando Tatis grounds to A-Rod, who then throws it over Teixeira's head and into the crowd, Tatis to second. But Schneider grounds out to end it, saving A-Rod from throwing away the game.

K-Rod works a perfect 10th (the first out being a strike out of A-Rod, strangely). Pitcher spot is due up and Marte is still in there so I call on Ramon Castro, the best hitter on my bench against lefties. He grounds to A-Rod...and A-ROD THROWS IT INTO THE CROWD AGAIN! Castro goes to second, and I put in Angel Pagan (who had JUST been called up and that was his first game of the year) to pinch run. Reyes grounds out with no advance. Murphy gets down in the count, I foul pitches off and manage to work it full, and then lace the first 3-2 pitch into shallow center for the win. :)

Can't remember the last time I was that excited playing a baseball video game. Was so frustrated not scoring and was afraid the pitchers would blow it.</font> :cool:

Boomer
01-05-2010, 07:41 AM
I played Road to the Show so much that I didn't really play many games, but I remember hitting a three-run homerun in the 8th or 9th to win a game and jumping out of my chair when I did so. I get some crazy emotions from playing that game.

Evil Vito
01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
<font color=goldenrod>LOL I just lost the All-Star game in infuriating fashion, but the sheer realism of it makes me appreciate it more, because it's the kind of come-from-behind win the AL has had like every single year.

I manage it like a real game, subbing guys out only when it would make sense, etc. and by the end of the game all the subs are in. I'm down 2-1 with 2 outs and a man on in the 7th. Hunter Pence manages to hit a 2-run home run off Rivera to put the NL in the lead. Carlos Marmol throws a perfect 8th, then K-Rod gets the first two batters out in the 9th.

Then Justin Morneau is called on to pinch-hit. The count goes to 3-1 as I keep missing with my fastball...and then I make the mistake of trying to throw a high change-up as it dropped into his hot zone and bam, tie game just like that (prior to this I had yet to blow a save as K-Rod when I'm actually playing). Broxton then goes on to lose it for me in extras.</font> :o

toxic rooster
01-16-2010, 12:55 AM
RTTS is ridiculous after a few years. You get shit like Jeter traded to the Brewers, Manny bunting for base hits and other ridiculous things. In my 3rd year in the show, I'm an absolute monster now. After all the 'improve your contact' goals you basically can't pitch to me anywhere, everything is hard and in play somewhere

I just joined the 40-40 club, about 2 weeks after the All-Star break.

Triple Naitch
01-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Definitely buying a PS3 solely for The Show '10.

Evil Vito
01-16-2010, 11:30 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I had read that player retirements are retarded as you go through franchise mode. Someone said they signed Pujols to a 10-year deal after the first season when he became a FA, then he retired 2 years into his contract citing age even though he was only like 32/33</font>

Big Fat Mike
01-16-2010, 02:34 PM
Machines tend to break down around 30 years of age.

Evil Vito
01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
<font color=goldenrod>I REALLY need to learn to run the bases properly. One thing I've always hated about the Show is far too often I'll hit sure-fire doubles/triples but the runner settles for a single cause you are supposed to direct the runner to each base. So stupid.

So to quell those problems I turn on Auto Baserunning...but then it fucks me over in terms of steals. Every time I have Reyes steal 2nd in the playoffs with no outs, the Auto Baserunning has him fucking stupidly take off for third on the next pitch every time, I won't make contact with the bat, and he'll be gunned down by a mile.</font>

toxic rooster
01-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Keep at it man, baserunning is one of the hardest things to get right. It was pretty much the last thing I learned, if you use the left stick and choose a base you can send a guy multiple bases at once. Takes practice and feels ridiculous for a while but you'll get it. So annoying when you'd single with a runner on second but couldn't score without sending the runner to second as well :mad:. The worst is when you have to send one guy back but end up hitting R1 and sending everyone back :mad:

Baserunning in RTTS is even worse. You don't even know which way to point the stick sometimes. I get doubled off on catches a few times but at least you don't lose points for getting doubled off and it can also save a bit of time if you just want to swing the bat. (IE not be a TEAM PLAYER and run the bases properly)

Splaya
01-20-2010, 11:24 AM

that's why I bought my PS3 yesterday.

Well that and MW2

Evil Vito
01-22-2010, 05:16 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Just started Spring Training 2010. Normally I would just sim through it, but I played a game for shits and giggles, and actually had a blast as I added a bunch of prospects to my 40-man roster to fill it out (mainly guys in their mid-20s...along with a couple young pitchers I wanted to see, even if it is starting their option years early). Might play a few more to get a feel for some of the minor league guys I have as well as look at my options to fill out the '10 bullpen and the 5th starter spot in the rotation. Lineup and bench are basically already set heading into ST.

Billy Wagner declined arbitration so he could go close elsewhere...so in the Rule 5 draft I selected the top lefty reliever available (actually was under the "closing pitcher" category, pretty stupid that they are different). Used him in the ST game and he's a beast. Kenton Elkins...starts the game as a closing prospect in the Rockies organization. Actually he was the only player taken in the draft, ALL the other teams passed on making a selection.</font>

Cooler Tom Schuler
02-15-2010, 03:18 PM

Same here. Also, don't have a Blu-ray player yet.

Team Sheep
02-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Ok I gave up on this game months ago. I can barely ever hit the ball, seems really hard. Any advice? :$

Team Sheep
02-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Btw I suck at hitting a ball in real life baseball too. My hand-eye coordination is atrocious. Don't do bat sports.

toxic rooster
02-16-2010, 12:05 PM
More ridiculous doins a-transpirin' in RTTS. I pinch-hit for the catcher one day (I'm a LH first baseman) and they left me in the game - to catch. And suddenly I throw right handed now. Great stuff

DAMN iNATOR
02-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Ok I gave up on this game months ago. I can barely ever hit the ball, seems really hard. Any advice? :$

I'd say probably just wait and see if MLB 10 is worth the wait. It's only like 2 weeks till it releases or so.

Team Sheep
02-16-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm not gonna pay another £40 odd for a game I currently can hardly play. Some games I get quite a few hits, others I'm lucky to get about 3 or 4. I think I'm just really impatient at the plate too.

toxic rooster
02-19-2010, 08:51 AM
Yup. Hitting in the game is pretty realistic, you have to take good at-bats, work your counts and hit good pitches.

And even then it's pretty hard - the best guys in the game only succeed 3 times out of 10.

RBM
02-24-2010, 10:31 PM
I still play the game here and there. Still working on my pitching road to the show. I'm in the year 2020, my third year of a 10 year 200 million contract with the Red Sox. It's weird seeing most of the normal guys having retired at this point. Although I had to laugh when I saw someone like Clay Bucholz retire due to age, but Roy Halladay still was going strong and had a top 10 stat that flashed while my game was loading.

Holy Christ, the game loves to cheat. It just decides you are going to lose at times. Particularly in the playoffs. They will not swing at even borderline calls and just start pounding everything else.

4 outs away from pitching a perfect game 2 days ago and Brian McCann (who was on the Tigers) hits a line drive over the second basemen's head. :(