PDA

View Full Version : OnLive: Gaming's Future?

Kalyx triaD
03-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Here's the full story. (http://pc.ign.com/articles/965/965535p1.html) But I'll list the key features so you don't have to read the ramblings of a star struck IGN writer.

OnLive is a service not unlike YouTube where games are stored on a server and streamed as you play them via a 'mini-console' device (connected to a PC or TV).
The games stream at such a rate that lag is nigh non-existent, and the game's themselves run at 60fps. Like a video on YouTube, the game streams immediately, no downloading required.
The only hardware needed is the mini-console (just a bit larger than a portable console), cords (of course), and an input device (controller, mouse/keyboard).
The program is a service where games can be purchased or rented. Piracy will essentially be next to impossible to do in this case. You may also play demos instantly when you want to.
The service will save recently played games as well as friend's list and the ability to record some gameplay and show it off.
The whole thing is like a mix between XBLive, YouTube, Gametap, and Netflix.
As you may have guessed, this service would render PC upgrades and console specs for games irrelevant as games are streamed from the server and no 'under the hood' specs are needed.

Pic 1, Mini-Console render. (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/965/965535/gdc-09-onlive-announcement-and-details-20090323081224356.jpg)
Pic 2, Service screen. (http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/article/965/965535/gdc-09-onlive-announcement-and-details-20090323081011767.jpg)

Now do you think this will be gaming's new primary means of distribution like the overzealous IGN writer thinks, or do you - like me - see this as a great 4th venue (after consoles, portables, and smart phones)?

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think this will affect gaming anymore than YouTube, Netflix, or Gametap affects their respective uses (though YouTube doesn't aim to be the future of... anything, and Netflix and Gametap have made strides). There's a lot of things that I want answered:

Like does it have a dedicated method of control or can you use (presumably) any USB enabled controller (PS3, 360, Keyboard/Mouse)? How will this affect the game's actual preferred control method? Will there be multiple versions of one game to support these methods or will players of different methods be able to play together? Where do my game's saves go and what about DLC?

All these make me feel as though the service can't do much beyond what modern consoles offer (less in some ways), but I do get giddy at the prospect of what is essentially Wii Channels on crack, or big budget iPhone application like gaming platforms. You probably can't coerce me to buying shovelware on any given system, but I wouldn't mind buying reasonably priced games that fall somewhere between full featured console games and in-and-out arcade style experiences.

What say you?

Kalyx triaD
03-24-2009, 05:08 AM
<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=47080"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=47080" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

#BROKEN Hasney
03-24-2009, 08:05 AM
No thank you, I'll stick to my disc for full games.

Boomer
03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I mean it might have some interest, but it all depends on how good the games are. Even then, it won't start keeping people from buying consoles.

The games themselves sounds like Quake Live, which I've enjoyed so far. I still play other things a whole lot more.

LuigiD
03-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I think it is possible but I don't see it coming true anytime soon.
Having a huge library of games available to you at every minute is glorious. However, I think it will take a few years for this to fully kick off with out problems. Still, I don't think i would be big on it. I am guessing there would be a fee to pay and I am one of those guys that don't like to pay for stuff I can't hold and call my own.

Kalyx triaD
03-24-2009, 01:13 PM
There's definitely a fee, that's the business primary.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
$50 per year and price per game

Funky Fly
03-24-2009, 01:50 PM
Decent idea. Depending on pricing, it could be a good supplement to a regular console.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-24-2009, 02:13 PM
It's just going to blow for action games. Your control is going to be lagged by how quick the button press takes to hit their servers, then feed the video back....

Kalyx triaD
03-24-2009, 07:04 PM
That's what worries me. I can't even trust my current connect to keep me online in a game, now the game itself relies on a connection? Try again.

But it would make for a nice addition to the entertainment family as Fly said.

Kalyx triaD
03-24-2009, 07:05 PM
All the online sites are gushing over this shit, BTW. I immediately saw holes in it. Are people so hot-booty for radical new shit?

Funky Fly
03-24-2009, 07:31 PM
Shit is great if you are a pc gamer and you (presumably) have a retardedly good connection.

Kane Knight
03-24-2009, 10:39 PM
It's just going to blow for action games. Your control is going to be lagged by how quick the button press takes to hit their servers, then feed the video back....

Hell, look at what the established infrastructure Live has going for it already. Then look at the problems it has. This may be like Youtube, but it's not, and if it gets remotely popular, there's going to be server issues for all that.

Also, with bandwidth caps and bandwidth restrictions....How is streaming video gaming going to do my bandwidth?

Xero
03-24-2009, 10:52 PM
I sometimes lag watching YouTube videos and they expect to get lagless gameplay out of current technology?

If this did take off the servers would likely crumble under the demand.

10 years down the line, sure, but for the foreseeable future I just can't see it happening.

Kalyx triaD
03-25-2009, 02:48 AM
By then I'm thinking the big three will be on some sort of major digital distribution program that rivals or out-right buries this one.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-25-2009, 03:04 AM
Probably streaming games too, bit streaming the fucking data.

I still hope not, at least not next gen. Hope we just stick to blu-rays.

Kalyx triaD
03-25-2009, 03:14 AM
Almost certain Microsoft will go another gen before using Blu-Ray. And you know Nintendo's stance on storage media.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-25-2009, 03:39 AM
Nah, people have been bitching about MS's DVDs as high def entertainment. As textures get even more detailed next gen, they'll have to move to blu-ray or every game will be 2 disc.

They probably will go all-download next gen. it was MS who last year said that within 5 years we'll all be using a central console as a hub to download all films and games to :(

Vietnamese Crippler
03-12-2010, 05:21 PM
Starts up June 17, $15/month.

BUT, the $15/month doesn't cover any full games, just demos and the ability to watch others :wtf:

Kalyx triaD
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
Fail for now, but it'll carve out a niche in a few years - just nothing particularly groundbreaking.

Fignuts
03-12-2010, 07:35 PM
I might get this.

I mean I'll have to see how it runs and stuff first, but they spent 7 years in development for the sole purpose of making streaming games without lag, so I doubt your connection has to be insanely good to use it.

Also, this seems like a really great service for people like me, who are interested in pc games, but don't want to shell out all the money for a crazy rig.

Kane Knight
03-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Fail for now, but it'll carve out a niche in a few years - just nothing particularly groundbreaking.

Onlive will need to carve itself out a niche fast or fall by the wayside. In probability, in a few years it will be forgotten.

I might get this.

I mean I'll have to see how it runs and stuff first, but they spent 7 years in development for the sole purpose of making streaming games without lag, so I doubt your connection has to be insanely good to use it.

Also, this seems like a really great service for people like me, who are interested in pc games, but don't want to shell out all the money for a crazy rig.

I'm still skeptical on the "lag free" bit. I'm also reticent to pay for a service that hinges entirely on internet connection.

It certainly does sound cool, I'm just remembering all the other promises.

Hey, anyone want to meet me and play some games online on the Phantom?

Kalyx triaD
03-13-2010, 12:01 PM
I think a grassroots, 'wildfire' sort of rise will help it. Like Figgy could say, "Hey this shit's awesome," and some of us will give it a try. Good word of mouth will help, but with sketchy tech...

Kane Knight
03-13-2010, 12:26 PM
I think a grassroots, 'wildfire' sort of rise will help it. Like Figgy could say, "Hey this shit's awesome," and some of us will give it a try. Good word of mouth will help, but with sketchy tech...

That would still need to be a relatively immediate movement.

But Fignuts recommendations are rarely sufficient for a grassroots movement, and even if a lot of people did it, it doesn't mean people will actually be interested in this tech.

The tech isn't the only issue, though. The cost of 15 bucks a month plus games may well be sufficient to be a deterrent. Even with my Live subscription, they'd need to dock the price on games quite a bit to make it financially worth it for me to take this approach. The big hinger may be the rental service, but with so many games having shorter single player experiences, devs and publishers may not like the idea of cheap rentals. It's unlikely they'd want to continue the rental model of BNM stores.

This could be awesome, and I won't pretend it couldn't be. It's just there's a lot to consider, and so far, it looks like more hype than substance. But then, we've only had one report on the service so far, since they haven't let reporters do anything hands on yet.

Kalyx triaD
03-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I can't imagine wanting to play anything on the platform myself. I simply do not trust servers that much to provide a smooth multiplayer experience, now I need it for everything? That was my first gripe and I doubt they'll ever fix it. I suppose it works as Gametap 2.0.

I believe it'll fail utterly but I try not to be so pessimistic with these efforts. I'm... sympathetic to the plight of bold ideas.

LoDownM
03-13-2010, 01:04 PM
So it's Xfire and Steam mixed together and costs money? No Thanks.

Kane Knight
03-15-2010, 09:16 AM
I can't imagine wanting to play anything on the platform myself. I simply do not trust servers that much to provide a smooth multiplayer experience, now I need it for everything? That was my first gripe and I doubt they'll ever fix it. I suppose it works as Gametap 2.0.

I believe it'll fail utterly but I try not to be so pessimistic with these efforts. I'm... sympathetic to the plight of bold ideas.

Yes, I understand you tend to use wishful thinking as a substitute for actual logic. That's why your claims prior were weak. If you believe it will fail utterly based on realistic reasons but choose to state otherwise based on your sympathy for "bold ideas" (most of yours aren't), you're being irrational at the least.

Anyway, lecture over, it probably will fail horribly. It needs to do too much right early on, and I doubt something this "ambitious" will pull it off smoothly.

Kalyx triaD
03-15-2010, 09:23 AM
Irrationality? No. Try again (and you just may).

I rather not entertain you further on the matter, however interesting it is to see you fap to your own posts.

And I says before I says again: You - and many of the lot here - will be buying my shit. For yourself or your kids. Eventually. That's not wishful thinking, that's a fucking forecast. Somebody sig this bitch and hold me to it.

Or you can boycott my "bold ideas" when the time comes, I wouldn't put it past you.

The Mackem
03-15-2010, 09:42 AM
huh

Kane Knight
03-15-2010, 09:53 AM

I rather not entertain you further on the matter, however interesting it is to see you fap to your own posts.

And I says before I says again: You - and many of the lot here - will be buying my shit. For yourself or your kids. Eventually. That's not wishful thinking, that's a fucking forecast. Somebody sig this bitch and hold me to it.

Or you can boycott my "bold ideas" when the time comes, I wouldn't put it past you.

It is irrationality. You stated something contrary to your own logical beliefs. How is that not irrational? Explain, rather than bitching about me "fapping to my own posts."

You can't.

And then, ironically, you go on to stroke your own ego, proclaiming a future you have no control over. I doubt you'll be a footnote, honestly, and I doubt I'll ever have the choice of buying or boycotting one of your games, but whatever makes you feel special.

Well, you know, in the non-pejorative sense. Since you're certainly that.

"You'll all be sorry when I'm rich and famous!"

#BROKEN Hasney
03-15-2010, 10:10 AM

LOL

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/delusions+of+grandeur

Kane Knight
03-15-2010, 12:00 PM
While I'm laughing at Hansey's jab, let me ax you something, Kal...what "bold ideas" have you even come up with? Most of what you post here is just derivative crap. Slapping a gimmick from one fighting game onto another is not bold, nor is "random crossover 64927."

Most of your ideas rank up there with "let's make a sequel to a popular game," except they tend to be shittier ideas that get flak from the majority of the responses here.

I get that you want to be a developer. But seriously, amidst your ego masturbation, what would you put forth that was actually worthy of the claims?

Kalyx triaD
03-15-2010, 11:59 PM
[Insert Future Game Franchise] 2: Kiss My Ass TPWW

Droford
03-16-2010, 12:04 AM
I thought for sure Gamings future would be a much better designed Virtual Boy.

Khuntry
03-16-2010, 12:06 AM
LMAO!

Kane Knight
03-16-2010, 10:00 AM
[Insert Future Game Franchise] 2: Kiss My Ass TPWW

I'm sure both purchasers will love it. Both your mom and your dad.

Kalyx triaD
03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

No.

Kane Knight
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah, even your parents won't buy it.

Kalyx triaD
03-18-2010, 05:01 PM
They aren't gamers, and I don't buy into that "blue ocean" shit.

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2010, 05:08 PM
So...why would I want to pay $15 more a month to play Sid Meyer's Civ. 5?

Kane Knight
03-18-2010, 05:11 PM
They aren't gamers, and I don't buy into that "blue ocean" shit.

Yeah, you only buy into your own bullshit. :p

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
So what games will they have? Call of duty, cause I can already play that on x-box.

Kane Knight
03-18-2010, 05:23 PM
So...why would I want to pay $15 more a month to play Sid Meyer's Civ. 5?

Because you can play it anywhere***, duh!

***Anywhere you have a properly functioning, eligible connection, a PC or Set-top device, an eligible controller or mouse and keyboard, and so on.....

Kalyx triaD
03-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, you only buy into your own bullshit. :p

Given the alternatives... :roll:

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2010, 05:26 PM
So what are the real perks of this? Can I play doom at starbucks?

Fignuts
03-18-2010, 05:29 PM
The big perk to me is, you don't need a crazy powerful computer to play pc games.

Kane Knight
03-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Given the alternatives... :roll:

Yeah, given the alternative is realism....

So what are the real perks of this? Can I play doom at starbucks?

Yes.

Assuming a sufficient connection. We still don't know if this is going to live up to its hype in terms of connection requirements, speed, etc. The idea of Onlive, however, is play anywhere, without performance worries since it's all done server side.

With no actual commentary, only one sketchy review so far, and a closed beta, we can't really tell if this is all hype. There's every possibility (in the real world, not Kalyx Land) that this will be ass, and your choices will be a high end gaming PC or a laggy, borderline unplayable system.

If it works, it means you could get most of your favorite titles without purchasing another gaming PC or console. I say "most," because not everyone has signed on, and there will always be "exclusive" titles on the console market.

As of now, it's 100% hype. You might get the ability to play the latest games while sitting at Starbucks drinking your coffee flavoured milk shake. You might have trouble playing Pong reliably.

Kalyx triaD
06-16-2010, 08:41 PM
http://bulk2.destructoid.com/ul/176773-onlive.jpg

Warner Bros. has announced that OnLive will be free for the first year if you sign up by July 15, no strings apparently attached. Yes, I said free. For a year. You do need a broadband connection, though, so keep that in mind.

I suppose if you're going to test it on the field it would help getting a lot of people to dive in without fear.

Kane Knight
06-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Wonder if there's any commitments.

Droford
06-16-2010, 09:08 PM
The big perk to me is, you don't need a crazy powerful computer to play pc games.

Nope, just 5 mbps internet.

DOH

Kane Knight
06-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Nope, just 5 mbps internet.

DOH

Good lord, the irony of you making the comment BURNS.

BillyBonez
06-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Onlive sounds horrible I hope they fail

Kane Knight
06-21-2010, 08:29 PM
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101466-Gamers-Dont-Get-to-Keep-OnLive-Purchases

Main gist is in the title: The games are not yours per se, and if you suspend your account, it will be deleted after a time (granted, a year's not a bad time frame).

Still, if I'm paying retail for a game, I'd be pissed about that notion.

but most consumers are retards anyway.

D Mac
06-25-2010, 03:54 AM
K I signed up for the free year thing.

Kane Knight
06-25-2010, 10:47 AM
SUCKERRRRR

Kane Knight
06-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Nah. Since there appear to be no strings, I may sign up.

BigDaddyCool
06-25-2010, 01:44 PM
So it is wireless only?

D Mac
06-25-2010, 02:01 PM
I think they said it had to be a wired connection.

BigDaddyCool
06-25-2010, 02:02 PM
Nah. Since there appear to be no strings, I may sign up.

So it is wireless only?

I think they said it had to be a wired connection.

I was making a joke about no strings attached.

Kane Knight
06-25-2010, 04:54 PM
There are still cords, just not strings.

D Mac
07-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi ,

Congratulations! You have been selected from the wait-list for membership activation and immediate access to the OnLive Game Service.

Click on the one-time-use URL below to begin the OnLive Founding Members Program registration process. Upon completing registration, you will receive 12 months of free access* to the OnLive Game Service on your PC or Mac via a wired broadband connection with the option to continue your membership for a second year at $4.95/month on a month-to-month basis. Note that a valid US credit card will be required to confirm you are at least 18 years of age, and will be used for any purchases within OnLive.

WOOOOO