PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Backwards Compatability

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-07-2009, 10:18 AM
So I'm looking into selling my 360 and putting the cash towards a PS3. But after looking into I've found that the new 80GB PS3s do not have the PS2 emulator.

I was quite looking forward to playing some old PS2 games, and picking them up cheap.

Can any one tell me why they took it out?

And in addition to that, would it be hard to get hold of a 60GB model now? And how much would I pay for it?

G
04-07-2009, 10:27 AM
eBay

#BROKEN Hasney
04-07-2009, 10:40 AM
And expect to pay quite a bit, more than the most expensive new one. Unless you get lucky.

Also they took it out to save money.

I would ask why you'd look to get rid of a 360 for a PS3?

What Would Kevin Do?
04-07-2009, 10:53 AM
They took it out to save money apparently... Also, the cost of PS2s just dropped again ($99 I think), which is pretty what the difference was between a PS3 with and without backwards compatibility.

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-07-2009, 11:27 AM
And expect to pay quite a bit, more than the most expensive new one. Unless you get lucky.

I want to for a couple of reasons really. The Blu Ray player for one. The need to play Metal Gear 4. Free online. The extra DLC on SVR. And tbh I want a change. I feel a bit fed up with the 360, and don't want to lose interest in a console all together.

Unless I've been ill informed on any of the above. Or there are any glaring reasons that I shouldn't?

#BROKEN Hasney
04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
To me, they're basically the same console, bar one or two games. For the difference in price between selling a 2nd hand XBox and then buying a PS3 you could get a Blu-Ray drive.

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I thought they only did the HD drive for the 360?

#BROKEN Hasney
04-07-2009, 11:59 AM
No, I mean generally. I got a blu-ray burner for £80 :D

Also, just noticed you're in the UK. Unless you import a US console, you can not get a 100% backwards compatible console.

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-07-2009, 01:22 PM
No, I mean generally. I got a blu-ray burner for £80 :D

Also, just noticed you're in the UK. Unless you import a US console, you can not get a 100% backwards compatible console.

Well playing PS2 games or not isn't a deal breaker. But it would have been nice to play Smackdown HCTP, Shadow of the Colosus, Metal Gear 2 and 3 etc.

Penner
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
I just bought a 160GB. I assumed it was PS2 compatible. Apprently it is not.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I just bought a 160GB. I assumed it was PS2 compatible. Apprently it is not.

Nope, none of the new ones are at all

Well playing PS2 games or not isn't a deal breaker. But it would have been nice to play Smackdown HCTP, Shadow of the Colosus, Metal Gear 2 and 3 etc.

You may as well buy a PS2 because you are nont going to care about DLC for the new Smackdown game once you have the much better game of HCTP in your grasp again :D

#BROKEN Hasney
04-07-2009, 02:25 PM
But yeah, what 360 are you selling? 20gb Premium? You'd be lucky to get £90 for it looking around, unless it has the HDMI port (newer motherboard).

OssMan
04-07-2009, 02:33 PM
I have no desire to play my PlayStation three. Right now it is sitting in some girls dorm room, and nobody has touched it since I got it. It's backwards compatible, so I guess I will play PS2 games on it when I go home even though I have a PS2. Is it PS1 compatible? Not that I even care cause I have a PS1. Just wouldn't have to switch cables

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-07-2009, 04:01 PM
But yeah, what 360 are you selling? 20gb Premium? You'd be lucky to get £90 for it looking around, unless it has the HDMI port (newer motherboard).

Its the 20gb old model. Had it about 3 years now. Someone in the family has offered me £150 for it, so looking at ebay I'm not going to get much more. And its a guaranteed sale.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Yeah, pretty good. I just bought a 20gb premium with 3 games for £40 to mod and spin for extra cash and keep FIFA 09, PES 2009 but sell NFS Pro Street. Ridiculous price on EBay.

Just seen a boxed one go for £70 with the Orange Box.

Honestly, if anyones looking for a 360, head on EBay now.

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Well if I get the ps3 and decide I've made a stupid decision, then I'll know where to go to get a 360 back

G
04-07-2009, 04:36 PM
I have my old 20gb Premium boxed up and waiting to be listed on eBay. I might just mod it and keep it offline. I dunno.

Kane Knight
04-07-2009, 04:38 PM
I really wish mine had hardware-based BC. The Software's okay, but for a lot of the stuff I play, it means some or a lot of glitches.

Fortunately, my ex is moving a lot of her stuff over here because her druggy brother is stealing shit from her. So I can just play things on a PS2.

Mooияakeя™
04-07-2009, 04:47 PM
I have a PS2, but it's PAL and I'm in English, otherwise u pay P&P and it's yours!

I brought a 60GB PS3 for my 40GB one (which I got free from work) and £100, fucking awesome deal. U forget they have mem card slots too and 4 USB slots. All adds up to the uberness of the 60GB.

If u install linux (forgot what build) on PS3, someone has made an emulator for PS2 on there, I heard u can do PS2 games through that.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Yeah, it's not fast or compatible though

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-07-2009, 05:59 PM
What are the good PS3 exclusives? Metal gear? Is Uncharted any good?

Funky Fly
04-07-2009, 07:15 PM
From what I've heard and read:

Uncharted
MGS 4
Killzone 2
Resistance
Resistance 2
Motorstorm
Motorstorm 2
Little Big Planet
and God of War 3 when it's out.

Not a long list.

Kane Knight
04-07-2009, 08:10 PM
What are the good PS3 exclusives? Metal gear? Is Uncharted any good?

Uncharted is pretty good.

MGS is a must have if you're a fan of Kojima's ego fellatio, and utter shite otherwise.

Funky Fly
04-07-2009, 08:16 PM
While we're on the topic of exclusives, you know what shits me off? Timed exclusives. Fucking hate that shit, I really do. The only people it benefits are console makers.

Consumers who get the game on the first console get screwed out of any additional material that gets packed in with the second console's version. Consumers who get the second console's version have to wait forever to get it in the first place. Fuck that shit.

D Mac
04-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Just buy the ps3.

Kane Knight
04-07-2009, 08:58 PM
While we're on the topic of exclusives, you know what shits me off? Timed exclusives. Fucking hate that shit, I really do. The only people it benefits are console makers.

Consumers who get the game on the first console get screwed out of any additional material that gets packed in with the second console's version. Consumers who get the second console's version have to wait forever to get it in the first place. Fuck that shit.

You mean, it benefits developers and publishers as well, then.

Funky Fly
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Them too, yeah. It's really sad that gaming has become another one of those entertainment genres in which the consumers feel like it's "us vs them" when it comes to the big companies. I dunno if I'm articulating my sentiment too well, but remember when a game would be in development and you were happy for the company making it and looked forward to playing it, worry free?

Kane Knight
04-07-2009, 09:17 PM
How is a timed exclusive any different than when two consoles would get the same game months or even a year apart back in the SNES/Genesis days?

Funky Fly
04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
A lot of those games were wildly different between the consoles. Sunset Riders had different levels on the SNES and Genesis versions. TMNT: Tournament Fighters was practically a different game altogether.

If they were intentionally delayed to do something like timed exclusives it was certainly gay then. Otherwise it could be just compensating for the difference in specs between the 2 systems.

Kane Knight
04-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Yes. Two games constitutes a lot.

More games than not were the same or at worst had cosmetic differences.

Nintendo, Sega, Atari, Sony, etc all clammored to get hot titles first. Some of them were timed/partial exclusives (It was Nintendo's attempt to get an exclusive lock on the SF series that eventually led to the differences between the versions).

Zaiko Rose
04-09-2009, 12:33 PM

PS3 is way better than 360. but they did that cause when PS3 first came out & it was able to play PS2 games SONY was barely getting money from the PS3 sales that's why at first it was $800. Then as time went on SONY dropped the price down to $400 cause they took out the emulator & started getting more money from PS3 sales & game sales! to to sum this up & anwser your question you can't play PS2 games on PS3 cause all the money would be going towards PS2! did that help?

PS:all that money from PS2 & PS3 is/will be going into PS4

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-10-2009, 06:39 AM
So I decided that I'm going to pay out for the 60gb model. Its only £40 more or there abouts on ebay. I'll just have to make it worth my while by picking up some decent PS2 games.

A couple of questions that I do have though, is do PS3s play XVIDs like the 360 does? I have a few, so it'd be cool to still be able to play them. But no big deal if it can't.

Something else is the chatpad. I currently have thr 360 chatpad, which is ideal for messages and using windows messenger while playing. I have noticed that the ps3 has a simaler chatpad. But is it capable of simaler IM features?

#BROKEN Hasney
04-10-2009, 07:51 AM
You can only talk to people on PSN, not any other chat netwrok. The most recent firmware upgrade finally allowed text chat with multiple people at the same time :|

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, u get Gran Turismo too. lol. Dunno if people thinks that sucks these days.

Oh and Wipeout. You can all bitch all day, I love Wipeout games. Nothing will change my mind on them ;)

Agreed. Just get the PS3 (no £££ or $$$ for playing online too - which is robbery imo).

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah I got the 60GB on ebay with 2 PS3 games and a ps2 game for 220. Not bad at all really.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Agreed. Just get the PS3 (no £££ or $$$ for playing online too - which is robbery imo).

I would happily pay £40 a year for a PSN that matched XBL feature for feature, than use the current PSN.

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2009, 04:57 PM
I would happily pay £40 a year for a PSN that matched XBL feature for feature, than use the current PSN.

Some would, some wouldn't

You would, I wouldn't.

We fair change.

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-15-2009, 05:48 AM
So in what way is PSN different from XBL?

#BROKEN Hasney
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
This is the main one:

http://penny-arcade.com/images/2009/20090403.jpg

There is no excuse not to have multi-person voice chat rooms. Hell, on Live, I can have a multi-person voice chat with people who are not playing the same game as me, while I play online.

Kane Knight
04-15-2009, 04:00 PM
But that's not all! You can now sort your friends via online status!

And WTF with video backups? Can't you just redownload?

#BROKEN Hasney
04-15-2009, 04:02 PM
But that's not all! You can now sort your friends via online status!

And WTF with video backups? Can't you just redownload?

No, once the video is deleted it is deleted for all time, even if Sony themselves service your console or firmware goes screwy.

Hell, even the games have a 5 d/l limit

Kane Knight
04-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Wow. Don't think I'm ever buying a game from them, then.

I wasn't planning on buying movies anyway, so that doesn't worry me. But honestly, that is insanely ridiculous.