PDA

View Full Version : IYO: Is it time for a change?

GD
04-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Is it the right time for the WWE to arrange the younger talents into feuds and give them ppv exposure?

Xero
04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
It's been "time" for about five years now.

The only talents who have truly stepped up in those five years are Cena, Edge, Jeff Hardy and Orton. There have been no other new true main eventers made since the Attitude Era (aside from Lesnar), and that's scary.

D Mac
04-10-2009, 06:37 PM
"Well enough is enough, and it's time for a change!"

Loose Cannon
04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
huh? the WWE hs been doing this since 2003. Spirit Squad, Hassan, Cade, Murdoch, Burke, Monty Brown, MVP, Kennedy, Snitsky, Rodney Mack, Maven, Carlito, Bashams, Tomko, O'Haire, Eugene, Umaga, Chris fucking Masters, Boogeyman and so on and so on.

But like I said in the other thread I made and what Xero said here, only a couple of the newbies have gone on to become real superstars. Edge and Hardy were before the wave of 2003 and beyond. Cena and Orton have really only been the two to really assend above the others

Hassan was right there though :( god I miss him and Brock

Innovator
04-10-2009, 07:28 PM
What are you a gay fish?

GD
04-10-2009, 07:38 PM
huh? the WWE hs been doing this since 2003. Spirit Squad, Hassan, Cade, Murdoch, Burke, Monty Brown, MVP, Kennedy, Snitsky, Rodney Mack, Maven, Carlito, Bashams, Tomko, O'Haire, Eugene, Umaga, Chris fucking Masters, Boogeyman and so on and so on.

But like I said in the other thread I made and what Xero said here, only a couple of the newbies have gone on to become real superstars. Edge and Hardy were before the wave of 2003 and beyond. Cena and Orton have really only been the two to really assend above the others

Hassan was right there though :( god I miss him and Brock

Main Event Quality

Brock Lesnar > John Cena > Eugene > Santino Marella > Batista.

Loose Cannon
04-10-2009, 07:42 PM
are you asking if it's time to give the youngsters main event quality pushes?

I think one or two guys deserve a shot, but being realistic, they don't have a ton of room up there. Until HBK, HHH and Taker step down, it's going to be more of the same.

Loose Cannon
04-10-2009, 07:43 PM
oh and I forgot Batista. He's the third guy with Orton and Cena that has developed into main event superstars

Xero
04-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, true.

But still, not a lot have come up and I think it's time they start pushing guys who are "sort of not quite" there into main event feuds (and I don't mean just feuds with main eventers), if only for a non-Big Four PPV or two. They don't have to go over but they have to start building them against the established main eventers.

GD
04-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I am looking forward to these guys:

MVP (WWE/World Heavyweight title scenario)

Matt Hardy (Above mediocrity. WWE/World Heavyweight title scenario)

Evan Bourne (ECW title scenario)

John Morrison (Beyond the tag team titles & the Intercontinental title)

TBK (I would have loved to see him in U.S.title scenario...loved to)

Carlito (Mid carder heaven)

Miz (Mid carder heaven)

Jamie Noble & Charlie Haas (Repackage on ECW)

Shelton Benjamin (ECW title scenario)

Jack Swagger (Intercontinental title scenario)

Cryme Tyme (Tag Team titles scenario)

Simply Priceless (Tag Team titles & Intercontinental title scenario)

James Steele
04-10-2009, 08:11 PM
It is always the right time to start building up guys for the main event.

Johnny Vegas
04-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I think you are going to see Matt Hardy go up some more. You will then see MVP get his time to shine. He needs to hold the IC on RAW.

CM Punk needs to become the best fucking heel since HHH '00 and take RAW or SD! by storm. Jeff Hardy can just continue being himself.

John Morrison needs to get into a fued with HBK as a heel or Jericho/HHH as a face to get the rub he needs. Miz can go against MVP, Shelton, Evan Bourne and the likes for the IC or US strap.

Hawkins and Ryder need to form a stable with R-Truth and the Colons..kind of like a New Blood thing but cool. They can cut promos hanging out outside of the ring and whatnot..clubs, shopping centers, just hanging out.

Edge is probably going to be a huge face if he turns on Vickie and needs to have a, at the LEAST **** match with the Big Show to get him there with the Big Show coming out on top but making Edge look good.

I can see this HHH, Orton, and Batista thing getting a little interesting because all were part of Evolution. Neither man could trust one another because each did each other wrong some way.

Cena can have an edgier persona but stay where he is. I mean, he can make any heel look good and while the good guy thing has been going on forever, i think it brings out the "heat" from the crowd in his matches. Dolph Ziggler can stay how he is and get more mic time. HBK can still do his thing but he can fued with Morrison and after a while begin the retirement angle.

Jericho can be in the title hunt with whatever brand, he is golden anyway.

Jack Swagger needs to start boasting about HIS ECW title and how he is the best champ of all brands. Maybe coming to the other shows and sitting in the front row of the main events. Even get on the commentary table.

Undertaker can also still be in the title hunt. He can get one last run with it. Christian should be the King of the Ring winner and challenge for a title shot, saying his "peeps" demand it.

If i left out anyone..sorry lol. Damn, Elijah Burke would be SO great for the US/IC title right about now...why the fuck did they let him go....

Loose Cannon
04-10-2009, 08:18 PM
From what I've seen from Borne, he won't go anywhere in the WWE. He's got total cruiser style to him right now. Maybe a tag champ or I can see the ECW title run, but nothing more

Loose Cannon
04-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I

Jack Swagger needs to start boasting about HIS ECW title and how he is the best champ of all brands. Maybe coming to the other shows and sitting in the front row of the main events. Even get on the commentary table.

yea, see little things like that do go a long way with the audience. I wish the champs on each brand would interact more. Doesn't have to be a feud or anything, but especially with Swagger, if you show him getting in the face of Triple H or John Cena, the audience is going to say, "ok, maybe he's worth a little more." Things like that will get these guys over.

GD
04-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I think you are going to see Matt Hardy go up some more. You will then see MVP get his time to shine. He needs to hold the IC on RAW.

CM Punk needs to become the best fucking heel since HHH '00 and take RAW or SD! by storm. Jeff Hardy can just continue being himself.

John Morrison needs to get into a fued with HBK as a heel or Jericho/HHH as a face to get the rub he needs. Miz can go against MVP, Shelton, Evan Bourne and the likes for the IC or US strap.

Hawkins and Ryder need to form a stable with R-Truth and the Colons..kind of like a New Blood thing but cool. They can cut promos hanging out outside of the ring and whatnot..clubs, shopping centers, just hanging out.

Edge is probably going to be a huge face if he turns on Vickie and needs to have a, at the LEAST **** match with the Big Show to get him there with the Big Show coming out on top but making Edge look good.

I can see this HHH, Orton, and Batista thing getting a little interesting because all were part of Evolution. Neither man could trust one another because each did each other wrong some way.

Cena can have an edgier persona but stay where he is. I mean, he can make any heel look good and while the good guy thing has been going on forever, i think it brings out the "heat" from the crowd in his matches. Dolph Ziggler can stay how he is and get more mic time. HBK can still do his thing but he can fued with Morrison and after a while begin the retirement angle.

Jericho can be in the title hunt with whatever brand, he is golden anyway.

Undertaker can also still be in the title hunt. He can get one last run with it. Christian should be the King of the Ring winner and challenge for a title shot, saying his "peeps" demand it.

If i left out anyone..sorry lol. Damn, Elijah Burke would be SO great for the US/IC title right about now...why the fuck did they let him go....

- Edge has established himself and can definitely be a huge baby face.

- Morrison vs HBK at the moment looks like a fantasy.

- Jack Swagger as a rookie is too good in the ring.

- Where is Helms?

Mr. Nerfect
04-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Let's just give each main event a young star to make into a legitimate Superstar:

Shawn Michaels vs. John Morrison
People have noticed the similarities between The Heartbreak Kid and The Shaman of Sexy, and most agree that a feud between the two would be awesome. Morrison doesn't even need to win (although he should get a defining victory over HBK at some point). A showing like Shelton Benjamin had against Michaels in 2005 would be fine.

John Cena vs. CM Punk
CM Punk didn't get the face reaction the WWE was looking for when he repeated as Money in the Bank winner at WrestleMania XXV. The WWE obviously has big plans for him, so why not have Punk shock the world and cash in his briefcase as a heel? Heel CM Punk talking about how he is no body's role model, but he should be, feuding with everyone's false idol, John Cena could be pretty epic stuff.

Chris Jericho vs. Shelton Benjamin
You just Jericho beating down a legend one night, after Shelton has defeated them himself, before Benjamin decides "well, this isn't right," and takes out Jericho. Benjamin works so much better as a face than a heel, and Jericho is just nigh perfect at whatever he does these days. A feud between the two could be a star-maker for Benjamin.

Edge vs. Christian
Who is better to put over his younger brother in kayfabe than Edge? These two would have an incredible feud, as both have improved leaps and bounds since 2001 (in stature, at the least). Christian is gold on the mic and in the ring, and his crowd reactions should be enough reason to cancel out Vince's doubts in the man.

Rey Mysterio vs. The Brian Kendrick
OK, this is more a desperate attempt for me wanting to see Kendrick get pushed, but I'd like to see two men who can both claim to be pound-for-pound, two of the most skilled competitors in WWE history (right up there with other small man wrestlers like Shawn Michaels, Eddie Guerrero and Jeff Hardy) going at it. Mysterio could give another more "pushable" heel cruiserweight a rub by working with them. Out of all the small men in the WWE, only Kendrick and Evan Bourne really have hopes to get pushed, and I have bigger plans for Bourne.

Big Show vs. Evan Bourne
On paper this looks like a mismatch, but both guys are on fire, and I think they could make this program work. I just think that as performers, they'd have really good chemistry. Bourne would obviously be trying to prove he can beat the largest athlete in the world, and Show, as a giant, obviously has something to prove whenever someone challenges him. Show tossing around Bourne would be entertaining, and Bourne would have to work on a smarter style of wrestling to tell effective stories with Big Show. The eventually Shooting Star Press on Big Show could be an epic moment, if done right.

Kane vs. MVP
Back when MVP debuted with the WWE, Kane was MVP's first opponent on SmackDown!. Now roles have sort of reversed, and Kane is the monster heel, and MVP is a plucky babyface. MVP got some big wins over Kane during their initial feud (including a Steel Cage, Street Fight and tag team victory, I believe), but ultimately lost the feud in an Inferno Match. MVP proving that he can finally deflect Kane's challenges, whilst holding onto the United States Championship could really help MVP take that next step to the main event level.

The Undertaker vs. Jack Swagger
Maybe not for a while, but these two could tell a fantastic story heading into WrestleMania. Swagger has both the size, the talent, and the momentum behind him to be booked as a credible threat to The Undertaker as early as WrestleMania 26. Maybe they could even have Swagger retain the ECW Championship until that point in time, and do another title vs. streak match? Taker's ultimate rub to the business could not only be putting over Jack Swagger, but the ECW Championship, as well.

Randy Orton vs. Cody Rhodes or Ted DiBiase
Eventually, Legacy is going to run its course, and it'll be time for either Cody Rhodes or Ted DiBiase to step up on their own. I'm not sure which one would lead a mutiny against Randy Orton, as I've heard the company is very high on Ted DiBiase, but Cody Rhodes is the one I see as having more potential.

Tommy Dreamer vs. The Miz
Some older veteran really needs to put The Miz over, so while Morrison is off doing his own thing, The Miz can start to build momentum of his own as a singles character, being an antagonist to the heart and soul of ECW. The Miz can carry this over into an impressive showing in Money in the Bank, and can then hopefully change brands and get pushed further.

William Regal vs. King Kennedy
The Regal character seems very proud of being King of the Ring, and it only makes sense that he would try and win the tournament again, which could be a rather large story in the match. As a heel, it seems logical that a face would deny Regal his victory. Let's make that face Mr. Kennedy, who goes on to win the 2009 King of the Ring. A simple feud that would allow Kennedy to get back into the swing of things.

GD
04-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Hasn't Tommy jobbed to the Miz for like all the time?

Mr. Nerfect
04-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Hasn't Tommy jobbed to the Miz for like all the time?

Probably. Different stages of each man's career, though.

GD
04-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Let's make the Miz an international phenomena:

#1. Make him defeat the Irish man Finlay.
#2. Make him defeat the Russian Koslov.
#3. Make him defeat India's Khali.
#4. Make him defeat Britian's William Regal.
#5. Make him defeat Jamaica's Sean Kingston.
#6. Make him defeat Mexico's Rey Mysterio.
#7. Make him defeat Canada's Christian.
#8. Rehire Nathan Jones and make him job to him.
#9. Rehire Hasaan and make him job to him.

Now that's something.

Johnny Vegas
04-10-2009, 10:52 PM
lol sean kingston

The Gold Standard
04-11-2009, 01:30 AM
It's been "time" for about five years now.

The only talents who have truly stepped up in those five years are Cena, Edge, Jeff Hardy and Orton. There have been no other new true main eventers made since the Attitude Era (aside from Lesnar), and that's scary.

Agreed

DrA
04-11-2009, 07:49 AM
No, I don't think it's time yet.

GD
04-11-2009, 09:52 AM
lol sean kingston

My bad, Kofi Kingston.

Xero
04-11-2009, 10:07 AM
BOOP BOOP!

7spike
04-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Most definitely time for the wave of talent to rise up the card. Problem is, these days WWE seem to have trouble outside of the actual wrestling world when deciding who to push/turn/etc. Purely speculating, but, turning Punk heel may not look so enticing to them, because he's their "we've got a clean guy" and a "good guy who people can look up to" character.

Xero
04-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Isn't that Cena?

I mean, Mr. Poop Joke himself is as clean as you can get.

7spike
04-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Well, in the wrestling world, then yeah.

I meant WWE might have to watch what they do if the eyes of the mainstream public, I guess. Like, they can always brag about CM Punk to the press or interviewers. But turning him heel would make some of the less uninformed people thinking the WWE is promoting a 'bad guy'.

ron the dial
04-11-2009, 02:32 PM
if they are less informed they could probably give a fuck less who is a fake bad guy and a fake good guy. it's fake. i think that the public realizes this and can look past a character. if wwe thinks otherwise that is ridiculous.

and of course it is time for a change

The Optimist
04-11-2009, 05:41 PM
The problem being that no one should have a specific time to develop talent, it should happen naturally throughout the history of the company.

Savio
04-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I miss carlito or atleast when he was a legitamate heel for Cena

Mr. Nerfect
04-11-2009, 10:29 PM
If the WWE wanted Carlito to actually have worked as a face, he could have gotten very over if he had spit in the face of Vince McMahon on RAW one night.

The Optimist
04-12-2009, 01:46 AM
I remember he almost did once. Then three or four months later he was back to sucking Vince's dick.