PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Smackdown really got screwed

BigDaddyCool
04-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I mean look at their main event: Undertaker, Edge, and i guess Jeff and Jericho, then just a bunch of perennial midcarders. I guess Rey is kind of a maineventer, and CM Punk works in a pinch, but no one else on the entire roster is really worth a damn for mainevent purposes...

Discuss.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 02:27 PM
No, I will not discuss.

erickman
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
thats what hapens when you are on my network tv. raw is the a show, the suprise was ecw did not get an ageing wrestler like will reagle

The Fonz
04-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Edge, Punk, Jericho, Jeff, Taker (sort of), and Rey when they feel like it is SD's main event. Just because everyone doesn't haven a giant ego like Raw's main event doesn't mean they got screwed royally.

Smackdown's never been about the "steak" anyway.

Scott Delaney
04-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Cena verses Matt Hardy will only happy in a fucken video game, lol. Cena is too good for Hardy and will probebly feud with other main eventers like Triple H, Orten, Batista, and Big Show.

Funky Fly
04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Don't they usually have a supplemental draft during the week? It'll probably even out a bit more.

Lock Jaw
04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Smackdown always has its rising and popular stars moved to Raw. Pissed that Jericho is on Smackdown now, though.

Rammsteinmad
04-14-2009, 02:54 PM
Are you guys kidding me?!?!?! Smackdown actually has a pretty exciting main event scene going for it right now.

Okay, we have Undertaker, Edge, Jeff Hardy and Chris Jericho. Potential main eventers for the rest of the year we have CM Punk, Rey Mysterio, Umaga and Kane.

Right now I'm looking forward to the possibilties of any rivalry between Edge, Hardy, Jericho, Punk, Mysterio and Shelton Benjamin over the next year.

:D

Rammsteinmad
04-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Smackdown always has its rising and popular stars moved to Raw. Pissed that Jericho is on Smackdown now, though.

Why? Without Triple H, Shawn Michaels, Batista and Orton, Jericho might get a decent main event run again.

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Cena, Batista, Orton, HHH, HBK, on one show, are you kidding me? SOMETHING's gotta give!

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 03:05 PM
On paper, I prefer this.

Jericho will be a much larger fish in a slightly smaller pond. He'll get more of a push, and a higher rank on the card. Same with Punk.
They're also going to be on a show with Edge.
This means Edge and Jericho working together at some point. That is immense.
It also means Punk will have more of a chance. Maybe he can actually cut some promos, and get out of the midcard in a smaller title scene.

It's obvious that they want to push Punk, but he has a hard time breaking out of the midcard on a show with Batista, Cena, Orton and now HHH.
On Smackdown, he is currently the second most over face. There'll be far more oppurtunities for him to get an actual push towards the title, which will actually main event shows, rather than a transitional run.

Also, the IC title has much more potential on Smackdown, where it can be made to matter. There's a bigger division, and main eventers like Hardy and Jericho won't be above working with it.
The midcard on Smackdown is strong. Guys like Shelton and R-Truth will have strong matches with Rey, and the main eventers even.
It will be a much more cohesive roster that isn't so obviously ranked.

I'm more than okay with Edge, Jericho, Undertaker, Jeff Hardy, and CM Punk working together.

I also expect Morrison to be there soon.

I really couldn't be more happy with the Smackdown roster. The only thing that really could have made it more exciting was Christian getting drafted to it as well.

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
I think R-Truth is going to ECW.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 03:09 PM
I forgot about Kane too. Not too high on Kane anymore, but it could be good for him.

I'd like to see an actual re-teaming of Taker and Kane as a tag team for a while, rather than one-off tagging every few weeks for a TV main event.

I think an Edge/Jericho vs Taker/Kane main event tag team fued could be great.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-14-2009, 03:12 PM
I like Smackdown's roster. Raw's got the names, Smackdown's got the excitement. Really, aside from Matt Hardy and MVP leaving, Smackdown didn't suffer at all.

Rammsteinmad
04-14-2009, 03:13 PM
Nah nah, Edge and Christian VS Undertaker and Kane.

Last time we saw that E&C were still newbies who were sqaushed quite quickly, now it's be a more even match.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 03:14 PM
Yea, it's obvious that Raws got the front loaded star power. I don't know how it will affect ratings or viewership or what now, but I don't care.
Smackdown's got the quality IMO, and is far less crowded.

Another thing, Rey will have much more believable compettition. I'd much rather see him fueding with average sized midcarders rather than Knox.

DAMN iNATOR
04-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Also, I hope the supplemental draft includes a couple of the guys on commentary switching it up. Have Striker -> SD! and Grish to ECW.

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
A Hardy leaving was a move that almost had to be done to prevent perpetual feuding, and since they needed Jeff to stay and remain as a top face, Matt is the better choice. It's more of a shake up too since he hasn't been to Raw since like 2005 and it should give him some top guys to feud with.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Rey should be much more entertaining without Michael Cole calling his matches.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 03:20 PM
I suspect Jeff and Edge will fued after the Cena/Edge thing blows over at Backlash. Prob due to Big Show's involvement. Then he and Cena will fued over on Raw.

I guess Jeff/Edge will go at it for the world title, while Jericho starts up a fued with either Punk or Taker.

I'd like to see Morrison debut and fued with Rey for the IC title, and after trading some victories go over.

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 03:21 PM
I would like to see Rey become a dick and make a move on one (both) of the Bellas.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Will the Colons be primarily on Smackdown, or Raw? I'm not sure how this whole unified tag titles thing works now. I guess it makes them split-brand.

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Rey v. Colon v. Colon in a three way dance would be good. I don't know that they're planning on adding more teams, and this would still keep the Colons relevant.

DAMN iNATOR
04-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Rey should be much more entertaining without Michael Cole calling his matches.

Yeah. It's a shame my idea will probably not come to fruition with a Striker/Ross commentary team on SD! because J.R.'s got the fire and passion and all the "dirt" on everybody, and I just think if Striker got the chance, his biting wit and snarky comebacks would be great IF they played off what J.R. was saying properly...probably hilarious most times. But I guess we just have to put up with Todd "the White Jonathan Coachman" Grisham and Ross for now on SD!:-\

Supreme Olajuwon
04-14-2009, 03:24 PM
I hope Kofi moves to Smackdown in the supplemental draft. He's going to be completely buried on Raw.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Somebody needs to be in the midcard for MVP

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 03:28 PM
You have the Miz now.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I dunno, I'd rather keep Kofi put. Raw does need a midcard, no matter how many main eventers they have.
Smackdown has a few now, with the draft, plus those that already were there. Shelton, and hopefully Morrison.

Also, he has primarily worked with Rey and Punk, and that was getting a bit stale. They're both on Smackdown now, so I suspect that would be more of the same.

I think on Raw he could actually increase rank as resident midcarder/US champion

Gertner
04-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Raw's got about 4 guys who can main event. HHH, Orton, HBK Cena and Batista. You can't really see anybody else on their roster as "main event", plus every feud between them has been done.

Smackdown has Edge, Jeff Hardy, Jericho, Kane, Taker, C M Punk, Rey Mysterio and Umaga.

There's at least some potential variety there, plus first time feuds..

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they move Evan Bourne to Raw actually. I don't see ECW champion written all over him, but they do seem to be pretty high on him. High enough to be the new Rey on Monday nights.

Johnny Vegas
04-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Tweener/Face Edge v. Heel CM Punk (with enough mic/promo time) or Heel CM Punk teaming with Jericho (i heard Punk likes to use a "im better than you because i don't do_____ or something like that). Both would be awesome as a small faction/tag team. Also, they need a heel CM Punk to fued with a face John Morrison or HBK. I have got to see either a Morrison/HBK match or a heel CM Punk/HBK match before i die.

Krimzon7
04-14-2009, 03:50 PM
SmackDown looks like a better show than Raw at the moment. I hope that Through some devine act, MVP can avoid the kennedy curse. Maybe he will become the workhorse US Champ and defend every week with 15 minute matches...

BigDaddyCool
04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
BTW, I didn't forget Kane.

Krimzon7
04-14-2009, 04:26 PM
But the WWE has...

Nark Order
04-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Kane needs to quit and live the rest of his life in a barn.

erickman
04-14-2009, 04:36 PM

he is the one wwe make movies with. his horror movie made more money then 12rounds or stone colds movie.

The Fonz
04-14-2009, 04:51 PM

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/friday-the-13th-part-3-14181.jpg

D Mac
04-14-2009, 05:07 PM
I believe it is professional wrestling who is still screwed, as I still am not interested.

Loose Cannon
04-14-2009, 05:16 PM
gotta agree with you guys. while a bunch of us were watching live last night, the feeling really was "Smackdown got screwed over," but looking at everything, it will be a great show. Yes, Christian and Morrison need to get the hell over there.

Also Taker/Jericho looks confirmed according to the news

Loose Cannon
04-14-2009, 05:17 PM
they need to move the show to Thursday though because I just can't watch wrestling on Friday Nights. I'm never able to :(

Lock Jaw
04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Yeah. That's the reason I'm pissed. I can't watch Smackdown. Also, Smackdown is the B show and in my perfect little world, Jericho would be champ and main eventing on the A show.

Rock582
04-14-2009, 06:42 PM
On paper, I prefer this.

Jericho will be a much larger fish in a slightly smaller pond. He'll get more of a push, and a higher rank on the card. Same with Punk.
They're also going to be on a show with Edge.
This means Edge and Jericho working together at some point. That is immense.
It also means Punk will have more of a chance. Maybe he can actually cut some promos, and get out of the midcard in a smaller title scene.

It's obvious that they want to push Punk, but he has a hard time breaking out of the midcard on a show with Batista, Cena, Orton and now HHH.
On Smackdown, he is currently the second most over face. There'll be far more oppurtunities for him to get an actual push towards the title, which will actually main event shows, rather than a transitional run.

Also, the IC title has much more potential on Smackdown, where it can be made to matter. There's a bigger division, and main eventers like Hardy and Jericho won't be above working with it.
The midcard on Smackdown is strong. Guys like Shelton and R-Truth will have strong matches with Rey, and the main eventers even.
It will be a much more cohesive roster that isn't so obviously ranked.

I'm more than okay with Edge, Jericho, Undertaker, Jeff Hardy, and CM Punk working together.

I also expect Morrison to be there soon.

I really couldn't be more happy with the Smackdown roster. The only thing that really could have made it more exciting was Christian getting drafted to it as well.

I fully agree. Someones talking sense.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 06:57 PM
I agree that Friday nights sucks.

I never catch Smackdown. I probably catch it once a month, if that, by chance (if I decide to stay in for some other reason and I'm free to watch TV).

But, I'd rather the product be quality than have it cater to my social schedule.
If Smackdown is good, it can create stars that I'll enjoy down the road, and as for immediate effects...it will lead to good fueds and matches that I can enjoy via youtube and of course the PPVs (via streams).

Moving Smackdown to Wednesday or Friday nights would make me happy though.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
I wish WWE would replay Smackdowns.
I've noticed they replay Raws on UniversalHD.
I wish there were Smackdown replays at other times during the week on MyNetwork. What the hell else do they show?
I guess it's WWE controlling the exposure of the product. They probably would prefer not to have replays shown much, so theres more insentive for people to tune in to the actual timeslot.

I'd like if it were available free on demand courtesy of the channel that carries it, like most other shows are. This is the value of a DVR box I guess, even though I don't have one and won't be springing for one. If I did, I'd definitely start recording Smackdown for later viewing.

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Does anyone get the feeling that Punk will put his MITB on the line and lose out, to say, Edge? Ultimate opportunist etc. etc. Or Punk may even win the title himself just to bring it back to SD. Having 2 titles on RAW doesn't make sense?

Anyway, I for one, would go week at the fucking knees for what I said first.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah I could see Smackdown being the far better show.

D Mac
04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
TNA Impact didn't get any picks. :shifty:

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I caught last week's Smackdown on TPWW Vault several hours before it aired!

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2009, 07:32 PM
TNA Impact didn't get any picks. :shifty:

Dunno, Kozlov may just be coming free soon :shifty:

The Mask
04-14-2009, 07:34 PM
tbh this lineup sounds more fun to me. it's not just the same old faces, looks like a few people will be getting pushed.

XL
04-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I wish WWE would replay Smackdowns.
Do WWE shows not get repeated pver there?

Here in the UK we get Raw live at 2am on a Tuesday morning, so it's repeated on a Thursday. SmackDown goes out on a Friday (before you get it I guess) and is then repeated the next day.

Plus, we have a boat load of recap shows throughout the week.

Does anyone get the feeling that Punk will put his MITB on the line and lose out, to say, Edge? Ultimate opportunist etc. etc. Or Punk may even win the title himself just to bring it back to SD. Having 2 titles on RAW doesn't make sense?

Hold on, it only just occured to me that both titles are now on Raw!

Does this increase Edge's chances of leaving Backlash with the WHC? I can't see them slingshotting Punk straight into the title scene again, I mean it barely worked last time.

Personally I would like to see Punk turn up sporadically on all the shows, taunting the champ on each show. Say have him make a random appearance on Raw one week after the champ has had a gruelling match, not cash in, but just let the champ know that he could have taken his title there and then if he wanted to. Play some mind games with the MitB case this time around.

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Here in the UK we get Raw live at 2am on a Tuesday morning, so it's repeated on a Thursday. SmackDown goes out on a Friday (before you get it I guess) and is then repeated the next day.

All in BAW GAWD HD too! :eek:

The Fonz
04-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Personally I would like to see Punk turn up sporadically on all the shows, taunting the champ on each show. Say have him make a random appearance on Raw one week after the champ has had a gruelling match, not cash in, but just let the champ know that he could have taken his title there and then if he wanted to. Play some mind games with the MitB case this time around.

So he becomes like Taker when he won the Rumble in 2007, only this time its a skinny burnout looking guy.

Mooияakeя™
04-14-2009, 08:59 PM
As in previous years, it is believed that WWE kept last night’s brand switches a secret and the Superstars and Divas who were traded found out when they were announced on television.

What a fucking goon Ryan Clark is.

So it was a shoot with Miz and Morrison?. Wow. Look forward to a suspension / release there then.

Juan
04-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah like some other have said, I'm actually looking forward to how the ME scene unfolds on Smackdown.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2009, 10:03 PM
What a fucking goon Ryan Clark is.

So it was a shoot with Miz and Morrison?. Wow. Look forward to a suspension / release there then.

They would have told the guys that The Miz would attack John Morrison regardless of who was traded. The Miz would have just been surprised to find out it was himself that was going to RAW.

As for SmackDown!, it really always looks bleak for them, but they always end up being the better show. We still haven't seen the results of the supplementary draft. I'm still hoping that we get either John Cena or Shawn Michaels on SmackDown! (not both).

The former World Champions on the brand are Edge, The Undertaker, Chris Jericho, Jeff Hardy, Rey Mysterio, CM Punk and The Great Khali. You've also got some very strong mid-carders waiting in the wings, like Mr. Kennedy, Shelton Benjamin and Umaga. I believe that the WWE has got a few plans for pushing R-Truth, as well. There's also the chance that Christian or John Morrison will be drafted to SmackDown!.

Oh, and the announcer switch this year should be Lilian Garcia for Justin Roberts. Garcia would work on SmackDown!, and Roberts is the best ring announcer the WWE has, so he should be working on the main brand.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2009, 10:04 PM
I fully expect Edge and CM Punk to get into a feud very soon. Probably with both men looking to bring a World Title back to SmackDown!. Have CM Punk bring the World Heavyweight Title over, and Edge gets insanely jealous.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 10:07 PM
No. Don't have that. That's how they did it last time and it didn't work out well. Have Edge or Jericho bring the world title back over, and Jeff or Taker set their sights on it.
They have plenty of ammo for a fresh main event for a while.
There's no need to jump the gun on CM Punk when he's back in position to start building momentum again.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Well, the only one who can really do it is Edge.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Why is that?
You suggest CM Punk doing it. When would that cash in occur? There's no reason why a GM can't order a match with Cena defending due to the belt situation on Raw after Backlash.

Logically, Edge will just do it. But there's no reason why it couldn't be someone else. You'll book Burchill to the world title, but you can't stretch your imagination enough to picture them hotshotting the title back over to Smackdown on someone other than Edge? C'mon.
Jericho could win the MITB briefcase at tonights Smackdown tapings for all we know.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Why is that?
You suggest CM Punk doing it. When would that cash in occur? There's no reason why a GM can't order a match with Cena defending due to the belt situation on Raw after Backlash.

Logically, Edge will just do it. But there's no reason why it couldn't be someone else. You'll book Burchill to the world title, but you can't stretch your imagination enough to picture them hotshotting the title back over to Smackdown on someone other than Edge? C'mon.
Jericho could win the MITB briefcase at tonights Smackdown tapings for all we know.

They could do it, but it wouldn't have build to it. Punk could cash in after the Last Man Standing Match or after the Six-Man Tag. If Randy Orton wins the WWE Title, CM Punk has extra incentive to go after him, as Orton cost him the World Heavyweight Title last year.

Jericho could win the MITB briefcase on RAW, but how does that build up CM Punk? It just makes him look like a joke who can't hold onto his briefcase. The only way I can see Jericho getting it done, is if he slowly builds a feud with Orton, Triple H or Cena after Backlash, to an eventual pay-off on either PPV or Superstars.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 10:19 PM
I didn't suggest it, I just said "for all we know". Big difference. What I was responding to wasa your mindset that if CM Punk doesn't do it, only Edge could.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Anyone could. CM Punk should be the last person to do it IMO. Why would you want them to do the same thing twice after last time?

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2009, 10:27 PM
I didn't suggest it, I just said "for all we know". Big difference. What I was responding to wasa your mindset that if CM Punk doesn't do it, only Edge could.

You took me way too literally. Granted, poor choice of words, but I like my title changes to make sense. Right now, assuming that Cena stays on RAW (which I'm not sure he will, which makes this entire discussion moot), there is no reason for Triple H to defend the WWE Title against a SmackDown! Superstar. There is also no reason for Cena to do the same. You have what you already have announced -- Cena vs. Edge and Punk with any title shot that he chooses.

It also wouldn't be exactly the same thing with Punk. It'd be a higher profile win to take the WWE Title from Triple H or Randy Orton, or take the WHT from Cena than Edge. Also, I feel that a big problem with Punk winning the title was not how he won it, but how he was booked during his reign. The guy didn't have much of a resume behind him, either. Now he's much more padded out.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Are you a sock?

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I just don't think doing that to Punk again would be anything near a good idea. Also, in kayfabe it would make perfect sense for one of the GMs to complain about not having their world title and get something ordered.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I just don't think doing that to Punk again would be anything near a good idea. Also, in kayfabe it would make perfect sense for one of the GMs to complain about not having their world title and get something ordered.

Why have champions drafted if one of the brands can just say "Fuck this, I want my champion back!" Eric Bischoff had to create a World Championship when Stephanie McMahon signed Brock Lesnar exclusively to SmackDown!. Theodore Long had a SmackDown! Championship created to crown a new champion of his brand when both the WHT and WWE Titles ended up on RAW last time.

In fact, with Teddy Long back on SmackDown!, I would actually mark out if Long came out with the SmackDown! Championship and announced a Battle Royal or something to crown the first-ever champion. Have it come down to Jericho and The Undertaker.

I'd also mark out if Theodore Long came out on SmackDown! with the old WWE Championship belt and said that he hated to do it, but he had to put his brand's interests before that of Triple H, so he stripped Triple H of the WWE Championship when he left SmackDown!, and will hold some sort of event to crown a new WWE Champion.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
So you're all for Punk donking the title again out of nowhere just when he's recovering from the first time, a 4th world title on tv, and a Dolph Ziggler push? Gotcha.

Mr. Nerfect
04-14-2009, 10:47 PM
So you're all for Punk donking the title again out of nowhere just when he's recovering from the first time, a 4th world title on tv, and a Dolph Ziggler push? Gotcha.

I seriously believe it was the booking of Punk as champion that ruined his first reign. MITB is made to have guys take the World Title in that fashion. If Punk cashes in for the WWE Championship, he will be the first man in history to have held the WWE Title, World Heavyweight Title and ECW Title. That is something that the WWE can milk with Punk for a long time.

If Randy Orton wins the WWE Title at Backlash (which seems like a good bet, according to reports), then a random segment where CM Punk runs in the ring while Orton is talking shit about Triple H, or something, -- taking out all three members of Legacy with the briefcase, before cashing in and winning the WWE Title for SmackDown! -- could be my favourite segment of the year.

Jeritron
04-14-2009, 10:50 PM
MITB is made for that? Really? Last time I checked it was just a guarunteed title shot.
Did RVD use it in that fashion? No. Only Edge has, and he's a HEEL.

thedamndest
04-14-2009, 10:56 PM
I seriously believe it was the booking of Punk as champion that ruined his first reign. MITB is made to have guys take the World Title in that fashion. If Punk cashes in for the WWE Championship, he will be the first man in history to have held the WWE Title, World Heavyweight Title and ECW Title. That is something that the WWE can milk with Punk for a long time.

Not really though. The only guy to have credibly won the title that way is Edge, twice. RVD announced his match and won the title and was looking pretty decent until he took a drive through Ohio. Kennedy announced that he was going to wait until Wrestlemania to cash his case in. Obviously we will never know if that was really going to happen, but there is a pretty big difference between Edge's sudden cash-ins and CM Punk's. A) Edge was at World Title level B) It's his gimmick to do things that way.

The Optimist
04-15-2009, 02:00 AM
To topic title-

What you see as "Not worth a damn for maineventing" I see as "Thank god I don't get Trips, John Cena, Randy Ortona and to a lesser extent Batista shoved down my throat."

Mr. Nerfect
04-15-2009, 03:47 AM
MITB is made for that? Really? Last time I checked it was just a guarunteed title shot.
Did RVD use it in that fashion? No. Only Edge has, and he's a HEEL.

I think anyone that uses the title shot in the fashion that RVD did is an idiot. Sure, they look "brave," but they also look bland and stupid. It's such a John Cena thing to do.

Juan
04-15-2009, 04:11 AM
I think anyone that uses the title shot in the fashion that RVD did is an idiot. Sure, they look "brave," but they also look bland and stupid. It's such a John Cena thing to do.

Noid, I was never on the "shut up noid" bandwagon, but are you serious with this right now????

Krimzon7
04-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Why have champions drafted if one of the brands can just say "Fuck this, I want my champion back!" Eric Bischoff had to create a World Championship when Stephanie McMahon signed Brock Lesnar exclusively to SmackDown!. Theodore Long had a SmackDown! Championship created to crown a new champion of his brand when both the WHT and WWE Titles ended up on RAW last time.

In fact, with Teddy Long back on SmackDown!, I would actually mark out if Long came out with the SmackDown! Championship and announced a Battle Royal or something to crown the first-ever champion. Have it come down to Jericho and The Undertaker.

I'd also mark out if Theodore Long came out on SmackDown! with the old WWE Championship belt and said that he hated to do it, but he had to put his brand's interests before that of Triple H, so he stripped Triple H of the WWE Championship when he left SmackDown!, and will hold some sort of event to crown a new WWE Champion.

Bingo! Bango! Bongo! Remeber when Lashley came to Raw from ECW? Who stripped him of the title? That is the way to go. If not, the WWE is racist :mad:

Mr. Nerfect
04-15-2009, 09:03 AM
Noid, I was never on the "shut up noid" bandwagon, but are you serious with this right now????

Alright, let me say this: Any face that puts the title shot up like that, and LOSES is a fucking idiot. I'm sick of idiots = faces and smart guys = heels. Why put the title shot you fucking earned on the line in anything less than full use.

Sure, they can build it up, and talk about how prestigious a championship is, and they want to win it against a fresh opponent. But then anyone who does cash in the smart (and really quite exciting) way MITB allows is going to look like a coward. There are ways to pull off either win for Punk, but the more the WWE builds to it, the more chance they have to fuck up. The more chances Punk has of actually losing, and that is just going to do no one any good.

Take your Punk win and be happy with it.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-15-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah but the whole point of being a face (usually) is to do stuff with honor. They're supposed to be the role models for the kiddies. They're supposed to be the heroes. It's like why doesn't Superman just smash Lex Luther's skull and be done with it? Because he's a hero and that's not how it's done.

If faces acted like heels then there would be no reason for the distinction, and thus no conflict. It'd just be two people having a disagreement. That's not interesting.

XL
04-15-2009, 06:53 PM
^What Supreme said.

Naming your date and fighting the champion one-on-one and winning is a sure fire way to book a face. Winning the title from a battered champion is a sure fire way to book a heel.

In all honesty they managed to pull it off with Punk last time, but only cos it was on Edge - the guy who made his name taking advantage of a fallen opponent. Shame they fudged it with Punk's run.

I hope they go with the slow burn approach this time round with Punk eventually naming his time, place and stipulations for his shot.

Jeritron
04-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Yea, if you're going to start applying that logic then you need to call face champions who defend the title cleanly and don't sneak weapons or get themselves disqualified/counted out "idiots."
Welcome to wrestling. you can't try to apply that logic in one place and look the other way the rest of the time.

parkmania
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I agree it's too soon, but I really do think Edge gets the belt at Backlash, and Punk immediately cashes in and wins it. That would be twice in as many years that the Ultimate Opportunist gets "opportuned" out of the Big Gold Belt. It'd make for a hella feud - the hottest face on SD! vs the biggest heel on SD!

And 5 years and 4 months later, I finally get 1,000 posts! Woot me!

Kane Knight
04-15-2009, 09:18 PM

In this case, "stupid" and "face" are synonymous. Well, perhaps not synonymous, but closely related.

Kane Knight
04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Also, I don't know what BDC's on aboot. I'm more interested in Smackdown right now than I've been in years.

Jeritron
04-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Now that the dust is settled, I'd say "Raw got really screwed", as far as I'm concerned personally.

I too am more excited for Smackdown than I have been in god knows how long. ECW pretty much houses the remaining wrestlers that I have any interest in.
Save for a few talents, I don't really have much interest in Raw right now.

I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Destor
04-16-2009, 02:03 AM
Hey Noid, a babyface should always face a challenge head on, win it like a man or don't win it at all...unless his charector would do otherwise.

IC Champion
04-16-2009, 02:09 AM
Destor makes a very valid point.

Destor
04-16-2009, 02:10 AM
If I'm home during SD! I'm watching Dollhouse instead, but if I weren't I would be SOOOOO amped about SD!

Destor
Gonna start recording it.

Destor
WWE should look into Hulu.

IC Champion
04-16-2009, 02:11 AM
It's called the magical would of DVR/TiVO. They are life changing.

Destor
Destor makes a very valid point.It's because I'm right. I mean, how weak did Punk look during his reign? Exactly.

IC Champion

Destor
04-16-2009, 02:12 AM
It's called the magical would of DVR/TiVO. They are life changing.
I would love to have such options.

IC Champion
04-16-2009, 02:12 AM
It's because I'm right. I mean, how weak did Punk look during his reign? Exactly.

It's why your point was so valid, I do believe so.

IC Champion
04-16-2009, 02:13 AM
I would love to have such options.

You should be able to get one from your cable provider for like 10 bucks a month or something.

IC Champion
04-16-2009, 02:13 AM
No man should live without DVR, are we not all human?

Destor
04-16-2009, 02:20 AM
You should be able to get one from your cable provider for like 10 bucks a month or something.

I don't even have a digital cable box. I run my shit OLD SCHOOL.

IC Champion
04-16-2009, 02:24 AM
I don't even have a digital cable box. I run my shit OLD SCHOOL.

Arent they going to be mandatory soon?

Destor
04-16-2009, 02:24 AM
I don't think so. I don't really keep up with that stuff. I know Antennas wont work after the end of this year.

Destor
04-16-2009, 02:25 AM
(:()

Jeritron
04-16-2009, 02:26 AM
I don't have Dvr either. I should be able to find it online, but I'd like to enjoy it from the comfort of a real tv.

I may be hooking up my VCR

IC Champion
04-16-2009, 03:49 AM
Don't be afraid of technology boys, jesus how old are you guys?lol

Kane Knight
04-16-2009, 09:45 AM
Arent they going to be mandatory soon?

You can still run any TV with a digital converter. Most HDTVs have them and most TVs in the last ten years have them. Before that, it's a little more of a crap shoot, but my old TV from high school had it.

Long as you don't do stuff like On Demand or DVRs, you don't really need a box if you're already digital. If your TV lacks a digital tuner, though, you NEED a box or other adapter.

Kane Knight
04-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Don't be afraid of technology boys, jesus how old are you guys?lol

Not all of us are 12. Sorry.

IC Champion
04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Not all of us are 12. Sorry.

And what's that supposed to mean?

XIII
04-19-2009, 10:05 AM
stupid
fuckin
draft

XIII
04-19-2009, 10:06 AM

amen:y:

XIII
04-19-2009, 10:07 AM
fuckin smackdown

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I do get what people are saying about faces being honourable and that shit, but seriously, why can't you have CM Punk pull one over sure-fire as a way to secure his brand a World Title, and then go on to be a credible and honourable champion who proves he deserves to hold the belt?

I mean, Austin wasn't always the do-gooder, and he's one of the biggest faces in the history of the company. The same goes for The Rock and Shawn Michaels. CM Punk isn't someone that should be booked like Hulk Hogan or John Cena. I'm not saying that if CM Punk said "Hey, I'm going to cash in at Judgment Day in Chicago," and he wins a World Title for SmackDown! that way, then it will be bad. But the WWE can fuck that up just as easily.

CM Punk sneaking in on John Cena would make so many people mark out, and Punk could just save it with a knowing glance to Cena, and a shrug. Faces can sometimes be effortlessly cool people.

Destor
04-20-2009, 09:39 AM
Cause he won like a chicken shit and everyone will rub it in like they did last time.

Mr. Nerfect
04-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Cause he won like a chicken shit and everyone will rub it in like they did last time.

Winning like a chickenshit can work for him. Cena and Edge are both down, Punk just strolls down (not run down, that would be a bit much), just looking so fucking happy with himself. He tells the ref he's cashing in, and hits Cena with a GTS. Punk then proves himself in a rematch with Cena at either Judgment Day or even on Superstars.

Destor
04-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Thats a waste. You're gonn ahave him beat him right later? No reason for him to not just do it like a baby to begin with.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-20-2009, 10:07 AM
A big problem last time was after Punk won the title, he went into a program with JBL and JBL repeatedly tore his credibility apart during promos. Even though he was champion, he still had to prove himself. If they plan on having him win the title again, his victory must, MUST prove that he deserves to be the champion. Otherwise he's just the guy who can't win on his own and he might as well be a heel.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-20-2009, 10:13 AM
They really should just copy what they did with RVD, including having Punk beat Cena. Face vs face title matches with a handshake at the end are proven to work.

Destor
04-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Yup. Sure it doesn't have the "OMG SHOKING" factor Noid seems to think is a must. But it's not like that's the only way to make a moment. Hell, Jericho wins the title and the Punk challenges him, the man who robbed him of the belt the first time. Makes for a great story.

Destor
04-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Which I will say that screwing Jericho and giving him a taste of his own medicine would be an acceptable scenrio.

Destor
04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
Although it's terrble for Punks credibility.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-20-2009, 10:18 AM
not to mention the match would kick all kinds of ass

Destor
04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
No doubt there

Supreme Olajuwon
04-20-2009, 10:21 AM
I really think Punk has to beat someone huge and by that I mean Cena, Triple H, or Batista. Something where the marks and smarks alike say there's no way Punk is going to win and then he does. And it has to be in a match where he just out wrestles the other guy.

Destor
04-20-2009, 10:22 AM
It would be nice and would DEF put him on the map as legit, but it's not going to happen.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
But WWE are so protective of their stars that I don't see that happening.

Destor
04-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Exactly

Supreme Olajuwon
04-20-2009, 10:25 AM
If Orton can't break into the top tier, Punk doesn't have a chance.

Destor
04-20-2009, 10:26 AM
:(...yeah

Kane Knight
04-20-2009, 10:28 AM
And what's that supposed to mean?

That you're 12?

Casey Jones
04-21-2009, 02:22 AM
I mean look at their main event: Undertaker, Edge, and i guess Jeff and Jericho, then just a bunch of perennial midcarders. I guess Rey is kind of a maineventer, and CM Punk works in a pinch, but no one else on the entire roster is really worth a damn for mainevent purposes...

Discuss.

The roster split is a joke...even ignoring the fact that half the wrestlers show up on other shows anyways. If it was up to me, here is what would happen...and why the shows would be better.

1) Each show would have a distinct identity...a unique value proposition of some kind.

2) Rosters would be far more fixed...with very limited roster movement. Movements would occur via trade. Drafts would only be held every 2 years - 30 months.

3) There would be a far greater rivalry between the 3 shows (I would actually make it 2 brands....with the 3rd show being a show where anyone could appear on). At the very best, we would see a flat out war between the two shows. At the very least, we would see a bitter cold war...with major tensions at joint PPV's.

4) The rivalry between the now two brands would lead to some more 'competitive' specialty PPV's. For example - the best 5 wrestlers from Smackdown take on the best 5 wrestlers from RAW...with the winner getting a lottery pick or something. Another example - bringing back King of The Ring. The winner of the tourney on RAW would face the winner of the tourney from Smackdown.....and would face one another at a KOTR PPV to determine who the real king is.

Mr. Nerfect
04-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Man, you do sound like Heyman.

1) This is not a bad idea. But that seems to be where the WWE are going with the draft this year. RAW is for the top names, the "draws" and the entertainment guys, while SmackDown! largely gets the pure wrestlers. ECW will probably again be a pen for veterans to help ease in new kids.

I'd love for each General Manager to actually get a philosophy for their shows going, but right now it's there, just understated.

2) I love the idea of fixed rosters. I don't mind it when there is an exception every now and then, but I definitely think a more fixed split is the way to go if you are splitting things. But no, the draft being held every year is good.

3) The third show being used for both sort of contradicts the whole "fixed rosters" thing. But I'd be lying if I said that more competition between the brands didn't intrigue me, in the very least.

4) More specialty events in general would entice people to buy PPVs, I believe. Unforgiven picked up the Scramble Match concept last year, which I definitely think is an interesting one. The Royal Rumble, No Way Out and WrestleMania all have their shticks. Night of Champions also has its, but I wish the WWE would replace one of their June PPVs with King of the Ring.

Juan
04-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Man, you do sound like Heyman.

It's not a coincidence, Noid.

Mr. Nerfect
04-21-2009, 03:16 AM
It's not a coincidence, Noid.

I don't believe I said it was. ;)