PDA

View Full Version : WCW Power Plant

BobBitchen
04-17-2009, 12:27 AM
Did the WWE close it down or is it still in business?

CSL
04-17-2009, 12:35 AM
Been gone a loooong time

HeartBreakMan2k
04-17-2009, 12:38 AM
WCW closed it down if I recall.

The One
04-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Technically, it stayed open until WWE bought out WCW. It's last try outs were in December of 99, but it did remain open for continual training purposes (especially guys who WCW brought in but were deemed "too green").

When WWE bought out WCW, they decided to close the doors on the Plant due to them already have a feeder promotion in OVW. The Sarge has since opened up "The Super Power Plant" somewhere in Georgia, and they continue to train wrestlers how to be muscle machines with an extreme lack of knowledge of how to actually...uh...wrestling.

TOVO Fact: Tovo (and many others) think the Plant was a joke of a training facility.

Executioner
04-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Technically, it stayed open until WWE bought out WCW. It's last try outs were in December of 99, but it did remain open for continual training purposes (especially guys who WCW brought in but were deemed "too green").

When WWE bought out WCW, they decided to close the doors on the Plant due to them already have a feeder promotion in OVW. The Sarge has since opened up "The Super Power Plant" somewhere in Georgia, and they continue to train wrestlers how to be muscle machines with an extreme lack of knowledge of how to actually...uh...wrestling.

TOVO Fact: Tovo (and many others) think the Plant was a joke of a training facility.
I agree with this statement 200%!

Gertner
04-17-2009, 10:06 AM
It did produce some decent wrestlers

Shane Helms
Big Show
Goldberg
Sean O'Haire
Mark Jindrak
AJ Styles
DDP
Chuck Palumbo
Jimmy Wang Yang
Shannon Moore

Quite a roster of talent.

Krimzon7
04-17-2009, 11:07 AM
What is the ratio of successes to shockmasters? I think that for every person on this list, there is 100 fucking embarrassments.

Gertner
04-17-2009, 11:53 AM
You can say that about any wrestling school.

CSL
04-17-2009, 11:59 AM
Also, the superior workers on that list didn't do most of their training at the PowerPlant and were sent there to develop (namely AJ who I'm not sure was ever there, Helms and Moore)

Still a good bunch of talent however

Gertner
04-17-2009, 02:00 PM
AJ wrestled in the WCW for a short time in a tag team called "Air Raid"

CSL
04-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Yup but he'd been in the biz a few years at that point

Gertner
04-17-2009, 02:15 PM
They also had some pretty good trainers there as well. Guys like Bobby Eaton and Paul Orndorff.

CSL
04-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Yeah, would be amazing to learn from people like that, especially if you're just starting out. No picking up bad habits from guys who don't have a clue what they're doing. Dwayne Bruce is fuckwit however

Sovereigntywillpr
04-17-2009, 04:04 PM
I heard that big show showed up their (a 19-20 year old giant who can run pretty fast for his size) apparently thinking he was going to have to try out and get cut like everyone ells, but as soon as they saw him in action they put all their recourses on him.

Always wondered what happened to it, figured Vince just bought the building for a gym or training center. But I never heard much since the buyout.
What about the F'n Dojo or whatever it was called. It was around when Shain-o-mac trained in 98, was that real? Or a wwe.com thing, if so is it sill around?

And. There’s no way that doesn't violate copyright laws adding the word super in front of the powerplant. he probably rents the same space, haha... I guess he can train them and Vince can sign them.

CSL
04-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Dory still runs his own school but I think the 'Funkin' Dojo' camps you're thinking of were run specifically every month seperate to his normal school to check out new talent for Vince

Sovereigntywillpr
04-18-2009, 02:06 AM
oh. funkin', ya now i remember, i never maid the Funk Connection. Thanks.

Rammsteinmad
04-19-2009, 04:21 PM
When Batista started out he went to the Powerplant and was told he'd never make it in the wrestling industry.

Sovereigntywillpr
04-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Cena too I'm guessing? at least that Sarge dude apparently expected people to have technical wrestling talent.

I bet the Power plant was a great operation without the left(power plant) talking to the right(WCW)... Did WCW have dark matches with power plant trainees? I mean at one point they had like 90 (I can use any number I want) people on the roster...they Must have used them on Saturday Night. Didn't Goldberg Job on their, ha was he named Goldberg?

Xero
04-21-2009, 10:40 AM
Pretty sure Cena was never at the Plant. He was in the WWE's system for the majority of his career, starting with Ultimate Pro Wrestling, which has always had a good relationship with WWE.

Sovereigntywillpr
04-21-2009, 08:37 PM
i ment if they rejected Batista they would have past up Cena too Probably...

Sting Fan
04-22-2009, 03:34 AM
And you base this opinion on what?

Rammsteinmad
04-22-2009, 04:30 AM
The Powerplant based their opinions on who could and couldn't do a billion push-ups and sit-ups. Then you had to do a global cross-planet jog just to show you had the endurance. And then if you were lucky they'd teach you a headlock.

Of course I doubt half of todays WWE superstars could have done what the Powerplant expected of you, and that's not dissing the wrestlers today, that's showing how stupidly crazy the PP was.

Gertner
04-22-2009, 06:44 AM
i ment if they rejected Batista they would have past up Cena too Probably...

because apparently every single wrestler in history has been through the power plant

stupid douche

Super V
04-22-2009, 09:00 AM
The WCW Power Plant also said I would never make it in the wrestling biz either.

Sting Fan
04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
How wrong they were Super V...

How wrong they were.

Rammsteinmad
04-22-2009, 12:10 PM
However the Powerplant never trained anyone the art of being held down.

The Show Off
04-22-2009, 03:14 PM
When Batista started out he went to the Powerplant and was told he'd never make it in the wrestling industry.

If only every one was as smart as those in the Power Plant.

Rammsteinmad
04-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a fan of Batista, but the guy clearly HAD (as in, not anymore) what it takes to be a wrestler.

The Show Off
04-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly a fan of Batista, but the guy clearly HAD (as in, not anymore) what it takes to be a wrestler.

I disagree Batista was never any good.

Xero
04-22-2009, 05:55 PM
He's an okay draw, though.

Sovereigntywillpr
04-22-2009, 06:27 PM
because apparently every single wrestler in history has been through the power plant

stupid douche

What the hell are you talking about, I just said if they rejected Bats they PROBABALY WOULD HAVE rejected cena too, as i thought the Sarge looked for techinical wrestling skills and not body builders.

But from what that other guy said about the running, it sounds like he was tryiong to make navy seals not wrestler. In which case I could see Cena having the drive...

Funky Fly
04-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Dude, if you typed better, your thoughts would be easier to follow.

Xero
04-23-2009, 09:27 AM
He's tryiong his best.

Fabien Barthez
04-29-2009, 05:53 AM
The PP was a little boot campish, but not nearly as tough as made out on Louis Theroux. That was almost kayfabe.... in a weird twisted way. Done to prove a point about wrestling for the cameras. A few wrestling books have mentioned it. I forget which ones.

Rob
04-29-2009, 08:05 PM
It did produce some decent wrestlers

Shane Helms
Big Show
Goldberg
Sean O'Haire
Mark Jindrak
AJ Styles
DDP
Chuck Palumbo
Jimmy Wang Yang
Shannon Moore

Quite a roster of talent.

It absolutely did not produce everyone on that list. 4 of them tops.

Gertner
04-30-2009, 12:22 AM
Every one of those guys listed had training at the power plant.

Sovereigntywillpr
04-30-2009, 01:03 AM
didn't helmes and moore get trained by the same guy as the hardy's or the hardy's themselves? or was that something someone(probabaly wcw) years ago.

PS:good thing i didn't add an O as a typo in a word, apparently you can't do that ever!

Rob
04-30-2009, 07:01 AM
Every one of those guys listed had training at the power plant.

Doesn't mean they were trained there. Edge, Christian, Steve Corino, Teddy Hart, Test and a bunch of others trained at the WWF dojo but it doesn't mean that's where they learned wrestling.

Gertner
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Doesn't mean they were trained there. Edge, Christian, Steve Corino, Teddy Hart, Test and a bunch of others trained at the WWF dojo but it doesn't mean that's where they learned wrestling.

Training in the WWF dojo /Power plant, smoothes out the rough edges, helps with character development.

Gertner
04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
didn't helmes and moore get trained by the same guy as the hardy's or the hardy's themselves? or was that something someone(probabaly wcw) years ago.

PS:good thing i didn't add an O as a typo in a word, apparently you can't do that ever!

dude, just fuck off and die douche.

Rob
05-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Training in the WWF dojo /Power plant, smoothes out the rough edges, helps with character development.

Be serious now.