PDA

View Full Version : Next Gen Cheat Device

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Is there any such thing? Or any plans to have one?

I recently bought a PS3 and I have ordered MGS4. But I was thinking about when I had a PS1 and a PS2, and I'd play the old MGS games with stealth and unlimited ammo. I'd obviously complete the game without them, but it was good fun to mess around with on a different save or whatever.

So yeah, my point is, is there a cheat device such as the Action Replay for PS3, so I can create chaos on MGS4.

.44 Magdalene
04-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Cheating is for suckers

Vietnamese Crippler
04-19-2009, 05:07 PM
PS3 is "unhackable" for the time being so no cheat devices.

One way you can cheat, kind of, in MGS4 is to download a game save from somewhere that has all the weapons, costumes, etc. unlocked.

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-19-2009, 05:27 PM
PS3 is "unhackable" for the time being so no cheat devices.

One way you can cheat, kind of, in MGS4 is to download a game save from somewhere that has all the weapons, costumes, etc. unlocked.

How would one do this?

Lord-Of-Darkness
04-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Cheating is for suckers

Like I said, I'd complete the game without them. Its just something fun to do on the side that I enjoyed.

Funky Fly
04-19-2009, 05:39 PM
There is no current device because they haven't rolled out the PS4 and Xbox 720 yet.

Current systems have been out for 3+ years and everyone still calls them "next gen".

Vietnamese Crippler
04-19-2009, 05:46 PM
How would one do this?

There are some game saves here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/ps3/save/926596.html

To use it, I think you just download a save to a USB drive and transfer it over to the PS3.

Xero
04-19-2009, 06:59 PM
You'd think it would be easier, especially the PS3, to hack what with the hard drive and everything.

Kalyx triaD
04-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I mean, most games include some way to modify the in-game experience, anyway. That's why the Game Genie style products died out in the last few generations. MGS4 in particular has a pretty liberal system where the more times you replay the game the more god-like you become anyway.

IMO, cheats like the ones you speak about are kinda weaksauce. By the 32bit era I found cheats to cheapen the experience rather than enrich it.

jcmoorehead
04-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I don't think Sony/Microsoft allow them on their systems anymore which is why you haven't seen them. Probably to do with online play being pretty much a standard thing now and they don't want to allow anything that can access the systems memory and edit the values stored there.

Xero
04-20-2009, 11:32 AM
"God-mode" should be standard in all games, after you've beaten it.

Xero
04-20-2009, 11:32 AM
There's also achievements that could fuck things up, too.

Kane Knight
04-20-2009, 11:36 AM
"God-mode" should be standard in all games, after you've beaten it.

There's also achievements that could fuck things up, too.

That's why I like the in-game cheats. If they don't disable achievements, they're fair game. If they do, then you have to be mindful of them. And yeah, once you've beaten a game, you should get God mode or at least a lot of extra options to fuck with.

jcmoorehead
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Was it Crackdown that released a patch that allowed you to play with a cheat menu of sorts where you could instantly spawn any vehicle and have God Mode?

That sort of thing is pretty cool, and extra game mode that obviously disables achievements in that mode but allows for you to just fuck around and do whatever you want.

Xero
04-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Yeah, that was Crackdown.

Think I'm gonna bust that out later today and wreck some havoc.

Also, I think GTA has the right idea but needs to give slightly more control.

Kane Knight
04-20-2009, 11:59 AM
SR 2 is pretty great about its options. I just wish that you could unlock infinite special ammo, too.

jcmoorehead
04-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that was Crackdown.

Think I'm gonna bust that out later today and wreck some havoc.

Also, I think GTA has the right idea but needs to give slightly more control.

The PS2 GTAs were pretty awesome for working with Cheat Devices actually. I remember using mine to make a solid gold, completely everything proof infernus appear in my Garages all the time on GTA3 and on GTASA there was a code to allow you to replay any mission you wanted.

It would be nice to see a sort of 'Debug' menu implemented into the games, I don't mean the same menus the developers use obviously but just something to fuck around with.

DAMN iNATOR
04-20-2009, 01:42 PM
There is no current device because they haven't rolled out the PS4 and Xbox 720 yet.

Current systems have been out for 3+ years and everyone still calls them "next gen".

Yeah, I honestly do not know how that moniker stuck to the likes of the 360 and PS3. I just call it "7G" that we're in right now. (i.e., 7th Generation consoles.)

#BROKEN Hasney
04-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I just call the console by it's name, much like I don't go around enquiring to people what is going to happen with their "current gen" children

Kane Knight
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
I use Current Gen as a blanket statement, or if I have a specific inquiry, I'll say "360" or "Wii" or "GAYStation." Well, not the last one, but I do snicker when I say Wii. *snickers*

Funky Fly
04-20-2009, 05:19 PM
"Hey, little boy... you wanna play with my Wii?"

Fignuts
04-20-2009, 05:33 PM
IMO, cheats like the ones you speak about are kinda weaksauce. By the 32bit era I found cheats to cheapen the experience rather than enrich it.

I disagree. You don't HAVE to use them. They are mainly there to just have more fun with the game, once you've beaten it.

I remember when almost every game had cheats. But nowadays, there seems to be this trend of not including any, and it's completely assinine, imo. Decreases the replay value.

Kane Knight
04-20-2009, 05:58 PM
"Hey, little boy... you wanna play with my Wii?"

Doesn't work with you. There's no black Wii.

Funky Fly
04-20-2009, 06:08 PM
There were in the ad videos before launch. :'(