PDA

View Full Version : Comic Movie Novels?

Rammsteinmad
04-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Okay, there's plenty of threads about comics and movies and comic book movies, but what about the novels? I'm curious to see what people have read, and also to generally see what's available. I own:

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
The Dark Knight
Batman: Gotham Knight
Hellboy
Iron Man

Ones I'm aware of but haven't got yet:

Spider-Man 3
X-Men
X-Men 2
X-Men 3
Ghost Rider
Batman Begins
Elektra

Does anyone know what other ones have been made? As some are harder to come across than others, and being the obsessive comic nerd that I am I like to try and get all the movie adapatations (both comic and novel form).

Discuss.

Lock Jaw
04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Are the novels any good?

Not a comic book movie novel, but I read Batman: No Man's Land in novel form (and still haven't read the actual comic version) and it was pretty good. Also read the Kingdom Come novel and liked it.

G
04-29-2009, 05:49 PM
What is the point of reading a book on a movie you've already seen?

Rammsteinmad
04-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Novels are generally more in depth and reveal stuff not in the movies that affects the movie. Plus, it's just something to read really.

The Spider-Man and Iron Man books are absolutely brilliant (both written by Peter David I believe, who is a very talented writer). Both have some very funny scenes that weren't in the film but I wish they were.

parkmania
04-30-2009, 07:19 PM
There's a novel on the '07 Transformers movie.

Jeritron
04-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Novelizations of movies may be the worst form of literature on the planet. [/prententious post]

Jeritron
04-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Seriously though. Elektra? Ghost Rider? You couldn't pay me to watch those movies again, let along read a trashy beach novel loosely based on an advance script

Rammsteinmad
05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
In all fairness though, the books I mentioned above written by Peter David (Spider-Man trilogy and Iron Man) really are fantastic. Even if you didn't like the films I recommend keeping an eye out for the books.

G
05-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Sort of off topic, but I was always under the impression that a graphic novel was a book with a super hero or something, and was graphic in terms of describing blood and guts and shit, for a mature audience. I wiki it just now, and turns out the graphic part actually just means pictures. I'm glad I didn't order some "graphic novels" when I was on a book high last year.

I'm slow, leave me alone.

Lock Jaw
05-04-2009, 11:54 PM
There are some graphic graphic novels though.

Boondock Saint
05-05-2009, 04:35 AM
G

Fignuts
05-06-2009, 05:40 PM
I'd much rather read the book before seeing the movie.

I've read the whole Star Wars prequel trilogy. That's about it though. Also read The Lost World, but the movie was only loosely based on the book.

Even with the extra bits, I'd find reading a book after the movie to be quite boring. Great thing about watching it afterwards is seeing the story you read about come to life on the screen, as well as seeing how your visualizations of things matched up.