PDA

View Full Version : British Invasion in TNA, what do you think?

Rollermacka
05-01-2009, 07:47 PM
So I was watching most of Impact yesterday for the first time in a while and I see that Brutus Mangus droped the gladiator armor and has started his own stable with Doug Williams and Rob Terry. I was just wondering has anyone seen them in the past few weeks and what do you think? I kinda like the pairing. Brutus is the leader, Terry is the muscle, and Doug is "the other guy" so they fit the formula. I've liked Brutus, dont really know why, but I like him as a wrestler. Doug Williams was one of the better guys out of team International. So has anyone seen this team or are they just another not watched team in TNA?

CSL
05-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Aldis and Terry are awful. Williams is great. Wish they'd have just brought him in alone. Pretty sure this stable is gonna go nowhere

CSL
05-01-2009, 07:52 PM
And those tights make my eyes bleed

thecc
05-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Aldis and Terry are awful. Williams is great. Wish they'd have just brought him in alone. Pretty sure this stable is gonna go nowhereYeah, dude definitely deserves it. I remember him being incredible back when he was in Ring of Honor.

Mr. Nerfect
05-01-2009, 08:29 PM
I wish they'd re-sign Doug Basham, and stick him with Doug Williams. Call them "Doug Your Grave" and give them a push as a technical tag team. :shifty:

I've heard that Brutus Magnus has got potential, but he is way too young and way too green to really add up to anything right now. Williams' should be the brains behind the group, and the leader. That man should be TNA X-Division Champion yesterday. Not sure about Rob Terry, but if he and Magnus formed a muscle tag team under Williams, I wouldn't really mind, but I wouldn't be interested, either.

Xero
05-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I would love TNA to bring in British talent.

So they obviously wouldn't.

Funky Fly
05-01-2009, 10:04 PM
K, so I actually watched TNA last night... wow, still shit.

This Brutus Magnus guy... why does he have that retarded name? For a guy that sounds like a gladiator, he really looks like a Nigel, a Clive or a Roderick. You know, mad British? He was alright, but the match was kinda fucked. Williams didn't look that great, but again match = fucked. Roid Terry just looked like he was gonna die of a massive heart attack in 15 years.

Chavo Classic
05-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Doug Williams is an excellent and experienced grappler, and it's a fucking travesty that he's second fiddle to a fucking 'Gladiator'. Aldis is totally unproven and until last year was a nobody in the business while Williams has been applying his trade all over Europe and Japan. It's shameful.

Mr. Nerfect
05-01-2009, 11:37 PM
What I wouldn't give to see Doug Williams go back to ROH and tear it up.

Dave Youell
05-02-2009, 05:44 AM
They need Pac in that group, seriously, so badly they need Pac, he is without question one of the best unsigned flyers in the world

Chavo Classic
05-02-2009, 07:51 AM
They need Pac in that group, seriously, so badly they need Pac, he is without question one of the best unsigned flyers in the world

That is probably the greatest idea I've ever seen on the TPWW :y:

Dave Youell
05-02-2009, 08:02 AM
That is probably the greatest idea I've ever seen on the TPWW :y:

Thank you.

The fact that he's only been picked up by a few US indies is still beyond me.

HYABUSA let him use a version of his gimmick (Darkside Hyabusa) at his own show and let him go over in the main event in his debut for that company.

If he's good enough for the Phoenix, he's good enough for TNA with ease.

Really pleased that Doug is going to get more exposure though, he's been the most consistent guy from the uk for 10-15 years

Dave Youell
05-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Apparently Terry did have a 3 year WWE deal as recent as last August:

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Big-Rob-muscles-dreamsarticle-278026-details/article.html

Must admit I know very little about him

Destor
05-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Williams is fantastic.

Mr. Monday Morning
05-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Without having seen any of their stuff (since I haven't watched TNA in about 18 months) alls I'm saying is Doug has been on a steady decline for about 2-3 years and is a shadow of his former self. If they want a really top notch British group they would sign up McGuinness, Pac, and hell, maybe even Stone & The Kartel. Now that would work.

Rammsteinmad
05-02-2009, 10:25 AM
If Robbie Brookside was in it, I'd go for it. :y:

The Destroyer
05-02-2009, 12:00 PM
This Brutus Magnus guy... why does he have that retarded name? For a guy that sounds like a gladiator, he really looks like a Nigel, a Clive or a Roderick. You know, mad British? He was alright, but the match was kinda fucked. Williams didn't look that great, but again match = fucked. Roid Terry just looked like he was gonna die of a massive heart attack in 15 years.
I'm assuming because he was/is one of the Gladiators in the UK revival of the show of the same name - went by the name of Oblivion. Clearly took about 10 seconds to think his gimmick up.

And he's actually a Nick.:p

Chavo Classic
05-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Without having seen any of their stuff (since I haven't watched TNA in about 18 months) alls I'm saying is Doug has been on a steady decline for about 2-3 years and is a shadow of his former self. If they want a really top notch British group they would sign up McGuinness, Pac, and hell, maybe even Stone & The Kartel. Now that would work.

Stone is brutal, as is PAC, although the Kartel I'm not familiar with.

I had previously run the idea through my head a couple of months ago when Aldis signed that he and Williams could tag, but initially I had wondered if a certain Mr Burchill would be a strong addition. He's pointless in the WWE and being given the platform to show his real side in TNA would be great viewing for any British wrestling fan.

Thinking about it; there are at least half a dozen British wrestlers I'd have in the stable than Terry. But being fair, we've probably written him off without giving him a chance to justify himself.

CSL
05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure The Kartel are ready for that kind of step up yet although the way they carry themselves character wise would be a good addition for a group like this. Burchill would have been a good addition if they let him do his thing, guy is ridiculously agile/athletic for his size and you never really get to see it on WWE TV. Pac would probably fit in well, I mean, he's got gonna tell you a great story but he'd fit in nicely with the X Division guys and some of the stuff he does would make a lot of people go :eek: McGuinness, Williams, Burchill and PAC would make up the stable in a dream world. Could throw in Lewington as well 'cause he can't have much time with Vince left

Dave Youell
05-02-2009, 02:46 PM

Stone and The Kartel?

The Fuck?

I could name loads of guys who could do the business over those guys.

Johnny Storm
Jodi Fleisch (dude could still go)
Hade Vansen
Pac (already mentioned)

That's just off the top of my head without giving it much detailed thought

Dave Youell
05-02-2009, 02:48 PM
If Robbie Brookside was in it, I'd go for it. :y:

With the greatest of respect to Robbie (who is a super nice guy) I don't think he'd be able to offer TNA anything, he's in his 40's now, he's good at what he does and is a great GREAT legend in the UK, but I don't see anything he could do in TNA

Mooияakeя™
05-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I want to see this.

How far behind is Bravo if it is? I'm watching it now, just switched over. 3D Tag Team inv. is on. LAX are in a backstage altercation with the British Invasion.

Edit: Ah, they coming to ring now. nevermind

Mr. Monday Morning
05-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Stone and The Kartel?

The Fuck?

I could name loads of guys who could do the business over those guys.

Johnny Storm
Jodi Fleisch (dude could still go)
Hade Vansen
Pac (already mentioned)

That's just off the top of my head without giving it much detailed thought

You clearly haven't. Storm probably could have made a decent fist of it 10 years ago but his prime has long gone. Fleisch was a complete flash in the pan and would be an embarrassment. I've never really rated Vansen so meh there.

Remember this is american TV we're talking about. Brash and over the top is what works.

Skippord
05-03-2009, 04:04 AM
Hade Vansen is a pretty sweet name

Mr. Nerfect
05-03-2009, 04:56 AM
I still can't fathom how Hade Vansen was scheduled to feud with The Undertaker in a major storyline, but because they dropped that particular idea, they released Vansen and Kevin Thorn.

Mooияakeя™
05-03-2009, 12:39 PM
I still can't fathom how Hade Vansen was scheduled to feud with The Undertaker in a major storyline, but because they dropped that particular idea, they released Vansen and Kevin Thorn.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m27/jmcaruso/Vince20mcMahon.jpg

Dave Youell
05-03-2009, 02:55 PM
You clearly haven't. Storm probably could have made a decent fist of it 10 years ago but his prime has long gone. Fleisch was a complete flash in the pan and would be an embarrassment. I've never really rated Vansen so meh there.

Remember this is american TV we're talking about. Brash and over the top is what works.

His Prime is gone? He's in this 30's ffs, he's hardly old! He's comfortable now, granted, he makes a modest living working for Dixon, local shows and the odd Japan show, but I still have no doubt, if required, he could crank it up several notches.

There's Drew Galloway, who's just been given the Florida title, and then there's DJ Gabrial, who to me, looked decent.

Mr. Nerfect
05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I doubt the WWE would release Drew McIntyre after just giving him the FCW Heavyweight Title. It seems that belt has become almost a direct stepping stone to getting into the WWE, since Jack Swagger won and lost it. Eric Escobar and Drew McIntyre could very well be the next two guys you see called up.

Dave Youell
05-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Granted, just throwing out other talented UK guys

Mr. Nerfect
05-05-2009, 02:13 AM
True that. I love me some Drew Galloway.