PDA

View Full Version : Movies you didn't really like at first but liked later

DrA
05-13-2009, 01:03 AM
I saw Fight Club about five years ago and recall not liking it that much. I watched it again for the second time a couple of weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. This rarely happens with me. Once I see a movie I don't like, odds are I will like it even less the second time I see it. This goes for movies that I like as well. So the odds of me actually liking it the second time around were about 1 and 1,000.

God help you if you post about movies you liked the first time you saw them but not so much the second time around.

Sixx
05-13-2009, 01:08 AM
Not exactly the same but I hated the LOTR trylogy at first, but now it`s the only sleeping pill that works for me so yeah, I like it.

Jeritron
05-13-2009, 03:00 AM
Blade Runner

ct2k
05-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah word on Blade Runner

The Mackem
05-14-2009, 10:38 AM
No second chances. Not from me in this lifetime.

DrA
05-14-2009, 06:57 PM
The show Friends. I never really liked it because I thought it was this over-hyped yuppie show, but I'm really into it now. At least season one is pretty good.

bigdaddysuperfreak
05-15-2009, 06:03 AM
The show really got horrible at the end.

Triple A
05-15-2009, 06:50 AM
Like all of Martin Scorsese's movies for some reason.

Esp Goodfellas, Raging Bull and Taxi Driver

Watched them all the first time when I was like 15 or so and wasn't too crazy about them for some reason, then watched them later and loved them.

Trainspotting
Manhattan
Platoon

bigdaddysuperfreak
05-15-2009, 09:38 AM

Watched them all the first time when I was like 15 or so and wasn't too crazy about them for some reason, then watched them later and loved them.

Trainspotting
Manhattan
Platoon
Maybe you were too young to fully appreciate it? I didnt like the movie "Brazil" when I first saw it but I was too young to really understand it.

The Mackem
05-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Star Trek, now that I think about it.

Mr. Nerfect
05-15-2009, 11:27 AM
The Watchmen. I did really like it at first, but the first time I saw it was under pretty horrid circumstances, actually, and it was the only real time that I've seen a movie twice and the second time made me think about it differently. The first time I saw it, I thought "smart superhero movie, was definitely worth seeing," but the second time I saw it, I thought "wow, it really has more to say than I thought it did."

Again, I'm not following the trend to a tee, but the more I watch The Wire the more I appreciate it. :y:

I find that with a lot of movies, if you go back and actually look for what makes it great, you at least get a better intellectual appreciation for the movie, if not an emotional one.

Jeritron
05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Fuckin loved Brazil right off the bat, but I could see how some people wouldn't like it.

Jeritron
05-15-2009, 03:21 PM

Trainspotting
Manhattan
Platoon

Yea word. Scorcese movies were always like that for me. Same with The Godfather and some other movies.
You try to watch them and be into them when you're still in your mid-teens, on the reputation they hold with people over 20. But you don't really appreciate them until you're a bit older and mature.

Penner
05-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Hot Rod. I was studying the first time I watched it so I didn't think I was paying much attention.

The second time I LOVED it. And I am head over heels for Isla Fisher.

road doggy dogg
05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Yesterday, 9:38 AM
No second chances. Not from me in this lifetime.

Today, 8:48 AM
Star Trek, now that I think about it.

You have some 'splainin' to do.
crossrine

The Mackem
05-18-2009, 07:41 AM
ok I made it all up so as to feel like a part of the group.

Mr. Nerfect
05-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Hot Rod. I was studying the first time I watched it so I didn't think I was paying much attention.

The second time I LOVED it. And I am head over heels for Isla Fisher.

I've only seen Hot Rod once, but my first experience with it was "this is meant to be funny?" But all my mates love it to death, so I'm going to give it another go and see how it cracks.

Shaggy
05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Shark Tales
40 Year Old Virgin

Triple Naitch
05-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Fight Club
40 Year Old Virgin

NeanderCarl
05-24-2009, 04:08 PM
The Blair Witch Project

hello kitty
05-24-2009, 09:52 PM
bones,now start to love it

Fox
05-27-2009, 09:03 PM
"Star Wars: A New Hope"

Mainly because I was like 10 and thought it was lame because of the lack of epic Lightsaber fighting. I learned to love it later due to its epic nature, amazing "Hero's Journey" tale and pure fun.

Ironically, I liked "The Phantom Menace" when it first came out, and now hate it for being utter shit, despite the awesome Lightsaber fighting at the end.

Jeritron
05-27-2009, 11:14 PM
The Phantom Menace is not nearly as bad as some will claim. It had impossibly high expectations.
It isn't as good as the original trilogy, but it's still a very fun movie.
I think it's important to realize it's so different because it's supposed to be. It's a good setup to the whole franchise, and has some great moments. The feel of the movie is right too.
Episode 1 is to the Original Trilogy as the civil war is to world war 2.

It captures a lot of the magic, and explores that. I think one of it's weaknesses is that it spends so much time dealing with that whole side of things, that it forgets the simple elements like swashbuckling.
It's very competently done though, and has some memorable characters.

Episode 2 was the real dissapointment though...

Jeritron
05-27-2009, 11:23 PM
I was reading some of Roger Ebert's thoughts on Episode 1 once. He loved the movie, but he talks about the critic screening he went to.
He said most major critics were there, and it was obviously crowded. Unfortunately, it was a sweltering early summer day and the air conditioner was broken.

He said he thinks the irritating conditions left many in a pissy mood which didn't help their enjoyment of what should have been a fun experience.

Utlimately, it really did get favorable reviews from critics. Not great reviews, but I think it was 3/4 positive.
It wasn't a critical failure, and it obviously wasn't a financial one. The naysayers were outspoken though, and the rotten reviews seemed to speak louder than the positive ones. This kind of spread, and it became trendy to say it sucked.

Kind of interesting how that happens.

NeanderCarl
05-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Well, I saw it (only Star Wars movie I've ever seen) and I was suitably impressed enough to never watch another Star Wars movie. I'm told I'm missing out, and shouldn't judge the original series on "the shitty new ones". That is the overwhelming response. I've never personally known anyone to praise the Phantom Menace, from casual to hardcore Star Wars fans, and not one of my friends is likely to have been 'influenced' by critics, especially as we were about 15/16 when it came out.

Jeritron
05-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Not really praising it, just saying that I honestly don't feel it's a bad movie. It's just not as good.

Zeeboe
01-18-2010, 02:43 PM
Death Proof - This actually became a huge favorite film of mine. The reason why I did not like it at first was because as some of you may know, it was apart of "Grindhouse", and a double feature. Well, I had just got done watching "Planet Terror" which was very high-paced action film whereas Death Proof was much slower paced, and a talking movie for the most part.

But really, a lot of old-school slasher films had mostly just girls talking, and QT was paying homage to those movies, so the talking was needed, and it did add to the realism. And QT's movies usually always have scenes where people just talk and talk. But since a lot of people had just got done watching Planet Terror, it may have been a rough adjustment for some of us, but upon second viewing, I loved every second of the movie, and it has been a favorite since.

Bug - This movie just confused the heck outta me, but upon watching it a second time, I really enjoyed it.

The Phantom of the Opera - Was bored to tears the first time I watched it, but two years later the movie not only became a huge favorite of mine, but I also saw a live version of it preformed in Vegas, and I use to regularly listen to the soundtrack when I'd go on my long walks.

The Patriot - I just recently watched this movie for the first time in ages. The first time I saw it, I don't think I even finished it, and I thought it was a rip-off of Braveheart. I've always been more of a Civil War guy when it comes to history, and I was a teen at the time, and I think I may have just been too immature at the time to enjoy it, and I was not interested in history at the time, but watching it for the second time, much older, wiser, and more interested in history, I really loved it. The only things is has in common with Braveheart is that Mel Gibson is the lead, and he's doing battle with the English again, fighting for freedom. And like in Braveheart, he's not interested in war at first, but after losing a member of his family, he then decides to fight. But that's about it. All and all, a great war film.

The Jayman
01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Mortal Kombat

XCaliber
01-18-2010, 04:22 PM
Saw Dark City several years back at the drive in and back then I didn't care for it but I saw it again not so long ago and rather enjoyed it which is a rarity to say the least.

Corporate CockSnogger
01-19-2010, 10:06 AM
Minority Report

Sixx
01-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Full Metal Jacket