PDA

View Full Version : inFAMOUS

Nowhere Man
05-14-2009, 09:36 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-91z27g1p1k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-91z27g1p1k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Anyone played this one yet? IGN gave it a 9.2, and I've always rather liked Sucker Punch's other games, so I was wondering if anyone was interested in it.

thecc
05-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Definitely wanna get this.

Kane Knight
05-15-2009, 01:52 AM
It's not out until May 26, right?

Looks awesome.

ClockShot
05-15-2009, 07:57 PM
First game to kick off the summer.

IGN recently reviewed this and gave it a 9.2. I'm ready for this.

.44 Magdalene
05-17-2009, 12:13 AM
Played a demo and it was awful. I'm hoping it was just the demo though, and that the actual game will be better. Valkyria Chronicles was like that.

Fignuts
05-17-2009, 12:46 AM
This, and prototype both look awesome

Kane Knight
05-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Played a demo and it was awful. I'm hoping it was just the demo though, and that the actual game will be better. Valkyria Chronicles was like that.

What made it awful in your estimation? Not flaming, just wondering if it's stuff that will sway me or not.

.44 Magdalene
05-17-2009, 02:25 AM
To be extremely fair, I've been following Infamous for a while, and had low expectations rolling into it. There's been a string of "A virus made us shut down the city" games lately--a viral outbreak forces Main Game City to be barricaded and quarantined, thus preventing you, the main character, from leaving. It's a much easier break from reality than, say, the way GTA did it--YOULEFTOHNOHELICOPTERS. While other games using this plot device made it part of the plot, though--nicely working it into all the other bullshit you're swallowing already so you barely even notice it's secretly justifying a mechanic--...well, I'm not really sure Infamous is doing that.

Madworld and Prototype both go above and beyond the viral outbreak idea as justification for keeping you in the main city, and use it as part of the storyline overall. With Infamous, though, it feels like "There's a viral outbreak and the city has been cut off from the rest of the world. Oh, also, you now have electric powers." I mean, I'm hoping (and guessing) that the plot will later in the game realign the two sub plots (Plot A, electric powers destroy part of city. Plot B, there's a virus on the loose) and turn them into one cohesive not-a-total-coincidental whole. From the outset, though, it just seems like several wacky coincidences going on simultaneously, one of which is a rather popular trend at the moment.

THAT ASIDE, and not mentioning the things I initially didn't like about it (it looks like Prototype to me... but LESS TOTALLY AWESOME), here's the shit I ran into in the demo:

1.) My character kept auto-parkouring when I didn't want him to. Like, I'd slide up against a wall. BETTER GRAB ONTO IT. I'd jump over a fire hydrant. OR DID I JUMP... ON TOP OF IT? I'd drop off a bridge. TIME TO GRAB SHIT ON THE WAY DOWN, ACTUALLY LANDING IS FOR PUSSIES.

2.) Glitchiness. I mean, like, corpses sliding across the concrete off into infinity and whatnot. Again, it might just be a demo thing, but I spotted bodies riding off into the sunset at least twice in the one mission I did.

3.) I don't know if there's a legitimate lack of a health bar or if it was just hard to notice, but I couldn't tell what my health condition was. Keep in mind that I did have a HUD--it just never changed. I could heal myself but it was useless because I didn't know when I needed to do it, and Captain Baldy Electricpower didn't act any differently when he was in pain--in fact, he wouldn't react to damage half the time. I'd get shot several times and not even know it until the screen went black and white to signal my imminent death.

4.) My powers consisted of missing a bunch with really piss poor accuracy and no aiming reticle or method with which to gauge attack area, or alternatively, blowing myself up nine times out of ten and having to restart the whole fucking f;ja;kdjf;a;j;jfkjf;kajdl bullshit. Also got ambushed constantly--like, the mission consisted of dragging me into ambushes over and over where everyone either had guns and was hiding, or everyone had electric powers like me but teleported.

5.) I could levitate with my electricity. It's cool and all but what?

6.) I could restart the hearts of dead people on the street (people that had died from the aforementioned virus, I guess). It gave me a tiny EXP boost/affected my arbitrary alignment for the inevitable alternate ending but was otherwise totally fucking useless. It's really just a way to ham up good alignment. I'm getting fucking sick and tired of alignment systems in videogames, by the way, especially when they work like this. Clearly, the realistic method of redemption is to spam mad healz.

7.) This game was not Prototype

8.) Speaking of shit I'm tired of, you have a lady talking to you over your headset, coaching you about what to do next and offering you hints. I understand the need for tutorials and guides and whatnot, but the Lady Q thing is getting a little overdone in videogames as well--Silvia, Cortana, Hunnigan, I could keep going, and that's just some of the more obvious ones I can recall. Sometimes your female guide to the game is well played and fits in seamlessly--and sometimes she's Navi the Fairy. Gonna have to say the chick in Infamous is closer to the Navi end of the scale. Felt like she was there for no real reason other than telling me what my next objective was.

.44 Magdalene
05-17-2009, 02:33 AM
But again, I thought this game was weak before I even started playing it, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I look at Infamous, and then I look at Prototype; they're extremely similar, but one has me shooting electricity, while the other has me sprouting claws and stealing helicopters and pretending to be generals and eating people alive and throwing cars and holy shit oh my god yes.

Dorkchop
05-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Game Trailers' review of the game makes me wish I had a PS3 or 360 so I can play games like these... even though I think this is a PS3 exclusive.

Game looked pretty kick ass.

LoDownM
05-22-2009, 02:06 AM
Got the demo, while it was fun a first, it got a little repetitive after awhile.

ClockShot
05-26-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm enjoying this so far.

Only minor gripe I got with it is that I can't cross a street without 10 gang members taking shots at me from the rooftops with eyes of an eagle.

Kane Knight
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM

Only minor gripe I got with it is that I can't cross a street without 10 gang members taking shots at me from the rooftops with eyes of an eagle.

aiming seems touchy on your end, too. I mean, your omniscient opponents can easily dodge you in the first place, so why is it so necessary for you to be completely bang on to hit?

I hate being hammered by a dozen guys though. I know you're supposed to play smart, but in a game that advertised what looked to be Godhood, it kind of sucks to see you get punked faster than Gears of War.

Fignuts
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in games. Enemies that can spot you from another fucking country. And can put a bullet through a quarter from a mile away. A lot of these open world games have this problem.

Fignuts
05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Also yeah, I too am way more excited about prototype.

Fignuts
06-06-2009, 12:09 AM
K, this is pretty damn fun, and I only have the basic power set at this point.

If you knock a guy down, you can hit the melee button, and punt him off the roof. Very satisfying.

Aiming is pretty easy, and the cover system does it's job.

Really fun game, that is unfortunately greatly overshadowed by prototype.

Fignuts
06-07-2009, 02:55 AM
BUY THIS GAME

Also, fyi, I am not having any of the problems that other reviewers have about cole's sensitiviy to sticking to ledges. Maybe they should learn how to use the "drop" button.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-07-2009, 03:49 AM
K, this is pretty damn fun, and I only have the basic power set at this point.

If you knock a guy down, you can hit the melee button, and punt him off the roof. Very satisfying.

Aiming is pretty easy, and the cover system does it's job.

Really fun game, that is unfortunately greatly overshadowed by prototype.

BUY THIS GAME

Epic few hours of the game there, Fignuts?

Kane Knight
06-07-2009, 11:23 AM
1.) My character kept auto-parkouring when I didn't want him to. Like, I'd slide up against a wall. BETTER GRAB ONTO IT. I'd jump over a fire hydrant. OR DID I JUMP... ON TOP OF IT? I'd drop off a bridge. TIME TO GRAB SHIT ON THE WAY DOWN, ACTUALLY LANDING IS FOR PUSSIES.

I've only had this happen when I was trying to precision drop onto something, like a blast shard. When it comes to dropping off, no. When it comes to jumping onto something as opposed to over, no.

An easy solution would have been to let Cole continue to drop while holding circle. Kinda lame that he doesn't, but it's hardly a problem.

2.) Glitchiness. I mean, like, corpses sliding across the concrete off into infinity and whatnot. Again, it might just be a demo thing, but I spotted bodies riding off into the sunset at least twice in the one mission I did.

Yeah, I haven't seen this in the full game. Probably demo only.

3.) I don't know if there's a legitimate lack of a health bar or if it was just hard to notice, but I couldn't tell what my health condition was. Keep in mind that I did have a HUD--it just never changed. I could heal myself but it was useless because I didn't know when I needed to do it, and Captain Baldy Electricpower didn't act any differently when he was in pain--in fact, he wouldn't react to damage half the time. I'd get shot several times and not even know it until the screen went black and white to signal my imminent death.

this game use the same damage tracking system as half the games on the planet, except it turns monochrome as opposed to red or similar.

Your HUD illiteracy wouldn't really be a flaw with the game, so much as a flaw in your understanding. I found the setup intuitive and easy to understand. Red flickers when you're taking damage. Direction tells direction. More severe damage=more damage impressions.

4.) My powers consisted of missing a bunch with really piss poor accuracy and no aiming reticle or method with which to gauge attack area, or alternatively, blowing myself up nine times out of ten and having to restart the whole fucking f;ja;kdjf;a;j;jfkjf;kajdl bullshit. Also got ambushed constantly--like, the mission consisted of dragging me into ambushes over and over where everyone either had guns and was hiding, or everyone had electric powers like me but teleported.

The full game has an aiming reticule. Granted, the aim still sucks, which is one of my biggest problems with the game. In the game itself, the ambushes are frequent enough, but solvable by common sense. I don't know about the demo, but the full game rewards you for things like "not running headlong into a group of bad guys."

On the flip side, I tried this out with a friend and we were swapping the stick back and forth. He was freaking out because he kept dying after running headlong into ambushes. Meanwhile, I survived pretty well by doing the opposite.

5.) I could levitate with my electricity. It's cool and all but what?

I'm not even sure why that's a complaint. as a side question, do you ever levitate in the demo in any fashion where you aren't using electrical devices (and an electro-magnetic reaction)? Because thus far, I can't think of any instance in which you do.

Makes sense to me.

6.) I could restart the hearts of dead people on the street (people that had died from the aforementioned virus, I guess). It gave me a tiny EXP boost/affected my arbitrary alignment for the inevitable alternate ending but was otherwise totally fucking useless. It's really just a way to ham up good alignment. I'm getting fucking sick and tired of alignment systems in videogames, by the way, especially when they work like this. Clearly, the realistic method of redemption is to spam mad healz.

The alignment system in the game is terrible, granted.

"LETS SEE, I CAN DO THIS BLATANTLY EBUL THING AT NO RISK TO ME OR I CAN PUT MY NUTS ON THE LINE!!!!"

Hmmm...Hug Hitler or a kitten? Tough choice.

I have no problem with the whole revivify, restrain, bio-leech thing, though. I think it's cool. The alignment is inane.

7.) This game was not Prototype

Yeah, but thankfully, there is generally a choice amongst video games, and so that only matters if you're going to a desert island where you are allowed only one game and stensibly a nuclear reactor only powerful enough to run one console for life.

8.) Speaking of shit I'm tired of, you have a lady talking to you over your headset, coaching you about what to do next and offering you hints. I understand the need for tutorials and guides and whatnot, but the Lady Q thing is getting a little overdone in videogames as well--Silvia, Cortana, Hunnigan, I could keep going, and that's just some of the more obvious ones I can recall. Sometimes your female guide to the game is well played and fits in seamlessly--and sometimes she's Navi the Fairy. Gonna have to say the chick in Infamous is closer to the Navi end of the scale. Felt like she was there for no real reason other than telling me what my next objective was.

Prototype will, thank God, be free of those.

No, I kid, but seriously, several of these complaints seem trivial and petty and the exact sort of things that will appear in Prototype and pretty much all other popular games. Like the "large glowy things that are important to your character and nobody else gives a shit about" that are blatant in both games.

Granted, I'm hot for Prototype right now, but this should totally not diminish inFAMOUS in any way, shape or form.

So the followup question, I guess: Will you be bitching about the oodles of tropes in Prototype, too, or will you instead enjoy the game for what it is, without looking for reasons to nitpick an awesome game?

Fignuts
06-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeah, dunno what he is on about with the ambushing thing. Even in mission modes when there are a shit ton of guys, you can usually kill them quite easily by continuously flanking them around the sides of buildings.

Also, I don't think it's so much that the aiming sucks, as much as it is the enemies being unpredictable to a point, in their movements.

I like the amount of different types of side missions too.

Kane Knight
06-11-2009, 08:59 AM
<embed src="http://static.escapistmagazine.com/media/global/movies/player/flowplayer.commercial-3.0.3.swf" flashvars="config={&quot;playlist&quot;:[{&quot;url&quot;:767,&quot;scaling&quot;:&quot;fit&quot;,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:false,&quot;autoBuffering&quot;:false,&quot;provider&quot;:&quot;tm_video&quot;,&quot;LR_VIDEO_ID &quot;:&quot;767&quot;}],&quot;plugins&quot;:{&quot;liverail&quot;:{&quot;url&quot;:&quot;LiveRailPlugin303.swf&quot;,&quot;LR_ADMAP&quot;:&quot;ov%3A3%2C90%25%3Bin%3A0%25&quot;,&quot;LR_US E_JUNCTION&quot;:&quot;false&quot;,&quot;LR_TAGS&quot;:&quot;default,zero-punctuation&quot;,&quot;LR_SKIN_ID&quot;:&quot;3&quot;,&quot;LR_PUBLISHER_ID&quot;:&quot;2f38d976&quot;},&quot;tm_video&quot;:{&quot;url&quot;:&quot;flowplayer.tm_video-1.2.5.swf&quot;}},&quot;key&quot;:&quot;#@845da661688f3d25497&quot;}" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" height="294" width="480" wmode="opaque"></embed>

Kane Knight
06-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah, dunno what he is on about with the ambushing thing. Even in mission modes when there are a shit ton of guys, you can usually kill them quite easily by continuously flanking them around the sides of buildings.

Also, I don't think it's so much that the aiming sucks, as much as it is the enemies being unpredictable to a point, in their movements.

I like the amount of different types of side missions too.

I dunno about aiming. Even when I have a guy dead in my reticule, it's a fifty fifty shot. I like that they don't just stand there, but the reticule is so tiny, and even the slightest obstacle will block you. Which is even worse when you're shooting a mook on a metal stairwell.

Though it was fucking awesome to frag them by shooting the water around them.

Fignuts
06-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Yeah, just saw the ZP review. Was gonna post it myself.

Yahtzee likes it. That speaks volumes.