PDA

View Full Version : Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines.

PorkSoda
05-20-2009, 06:10 PM
What was wrong with this movie? Alot of people seem to hate it and think it was unnecessary. I thought it was great. Off the top of my head theres really nothing I can think of that was bad about it. My favorite part was the action scenes, they tore down a whole city with a crane. But everything else, I thought, was awesome.

What do you think of it?

D Mac
05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
It was an entertaining popcorn flick.

Jon Kano
05-20-2009, 06:36 PM
I personally liked it, but I loved the previous two.

T3 didn't necessarily lack anything, but some of the things I did see, no matter how little, put me off.

When Arnie put on those stupid glasses, when he did the 'talk to the hand' thing to the gas station guy....little things like this kinda just really were not funny and they were not really needed.

I actually liked the story narrative, so no complaints there.

Nick Stahl, he is a pretty solid actor in my opinion, but maybe not the best choice for John Connor, but still, I liked him in it, just some action and important scenes he failed to make it.

Also....the antagonist, predictable they would use a female version really, I didn't like the fact she had no dialogue at all, for a closing chapter to that trilogy, I just felt a lil short-changed that there was no further development or interaction between Skynet in that time line or between the characters in general.

As far as what the populous thinks about it, I'm not sure, but I can understand where they are coming from and the fact there is a large amount of people who wouldn't like it.

thedamndest
05-20-2009, 06:47 PM
It had its good and its bad. Direction-wise it did not live up to the insanely high bar set by James Cameron, and so to me it just feels "out of place" overall. The story was alright, though I'm not sure it was worthy of an entire movie for the Terminator canon. Loved the ending though, and the explanation of the death of Sarah/her grave is a weapons cache.

Jeritron
05-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Yea those two bits were pretty much the only good parts of the movie for me. Probably because they were the only new bits. Everything else was a retread of the chase format, only not as good.
It had already been twice, and T2 got a pass on "reusing" it because it took it to a whole new level, plus added in the Miles Dyson stuff.

Also, the TX was awful. The actress was hot as hell, but as a villain she just wasn't menacing. It was a total gimmick, and there was nothing new about it other than tits and ass.
The original Terminator, and the T-1000 were amazing villains because they were new, intimidating, and drove home the nightarish premise of an unstoppable killing machine coming after you at all costs.
If that's not a real life nightmare I don't know what is.

Also, the script was pretty piss poor. Not just the story, but the dialogue. It was also full of gags and cheap jokes that Terminator was never about. Sure, Arnie always had some humor and one-liners, but T3 took the cheeseball comedy to a facepalm level.

Last but not least, I was not a fan of the casting. Especially John Connor. Nick Stahl is a good enough actor, but he played it really poor and he just didn't fit the part.
He was also no more tough, or "leader like" than Ed Furlong would have been.

Fignuts
05-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Yeah, not as good as the first two, but still a really fun watch. The chase scene where she takes control of all the trucks is fucking awesome.

Only thing I really didn't like about it was that the story was the EXACT SAME STORY as T2. Like almost spot on. I go to these types of movies for the action tho. If I want a compelling story with great acting I'll go to a movie that promises that sort of thing. So being that the action scenes were really good, the unoriginal story doesn't bother me enough to label it a bad movie.

There are lots of movies like this tho, that people will condemn for not being a cinematic masterpiece. It boggles my mind really. I mean, unless you're stupid, you can usually tell from a trailer what kind of movie you are going to get. People have their expectations set too high for these types of movies. Go and see them for the action alone. That way, if it doesn't end up having a great story and acting, but great action, you won't be disappointed. And if it does, well it's an added bonus.

Point is, you will enjoy going to the movies a whole lot more.

Kalyx triaD
05-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Not a big fan of the whole 'destiny' angle. The machines were gonna take over regardless of Sarah Conner's efforts? What happened to "No fate but what we make"? This is my main gripe with T3. Other than that it was okay.

The Mask
05-21-2009, 01:16 AM
i'll be honest. i really hated it. i'd have to write a play by play of the film to list everything i hate about it, cause there's no way i can remember all of it off the top of my head. i'll say now i actually thought the T-X was kinda cool. weaponry inside a liquid metal skin is all good with me, and she played the role deadpan enough for it to work.

i hated the way arnie seemed to weigh about 5 tonnes, flipping cars by jumping on them and putting ridiculous dents in shit. plus i hated the way the new t-850 had a new nuclear battery that was prone to blowing the fuck up whenever it got corrupted. plus apparently the terminator went from being a quiet killer to a huge idiot:

Terminator: Katherine Brewster? Have you sustained injury?
Kate Brewster: Drop dead, you asshole!
Terminator: I am unable to comply.

Terminator: It was Katherine Brewster who reprogrammed me and sent me back through the time displacement field.
John Connor: Why didn't I send you back?
Terminator: I'm not authorized to answer your questions.
Kate Brewster: Why didn't he send you back?
Terminator: He was dead.
John Connor: Oh, well that sucks.

John Connor: So... she's an anti-Terminator Terminator? You've got to be shitting me.
Terminator: No, I am not shitting you.

Terminator: Your levity is good, it relieves tension and the fear of death.

another thing was the general feeling/aura you got from the film. the first two were mainly filmed in darkness with excellent soundtrack work by brad fiedel with all metallic sounds and it heightened the sense of danger. T3 was filmed during daylight mostly and it was more wacky than scary, like the chase scene where the big hook thing swings right at arnie with a comedic clang, not to mention the stupid bullet spitting scene. plus there is the "machine has a dilemma" scene where arnie is like discussing with himself whether to kill john connor and ends up taking his anger out on a car instead. totally stupid.

another thing is it felt rushed. the first two were epic films with time in the middle for a bit of character development and they learn things etc etc. plus they took place over the space of 3-4 daysish. this was just like one big chase movie that never stopped. it used a stupid plot device to kill off the protagonist and turned the terminator into a total joke. plus it went from having kate discover john tanked up to his eyeballs on dog neutering drugs, being kidnapped by him, telling him he's a mess, having her fiance chainsawed to death, to holding john's hand in a sign of a blossoming romance in what i think was about a 12 hour period of time.

Kalyx triaD
05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
I didn't mind the Terminator's antics in the movie, actually. Since part 2 he was always used for the few moments of comedy.

Fox
05-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Terminator 3 isn't a bad movie, it's just a bad Terminator movie.

Terminator and Terminator 2 were groundbreaking films on multiple levels. T1 introduced what would become famous characters, gave a different look at the concept of time travel, and introduced Hollywood legends Arnold and James Cameron to the scene. On top of that, it was a very new concept and an entertaining as hell film, which quickly garnered cult status.

T2 wasn't your average sequel, and actually stands alone from T1 as an incredible movie on its own. The effects were ground breaking at the time, the switch of Arnold's character from killing machine to protecting machine was a great decision, and the story was solid as hell. A troubled young boy meets, befriends, and humanizes a monster - it's the same shit as "King Kong," "Iron Giant," "Goonies," and many, many others, and was directed to perfection by Mr. Cameron.

Terminator 3 had none of the above, and if it did, it was nothing new. I agree with previous comments that there was too much hokey comedy and that the female Terminator was not a strong enough main villain - especially not to go up against the Last Action Hero himself. It seemed more like a decision to do the "next logical step" with a female Terminator, as opposed to coming up with something new and inventive on it's own merits.

But really, I didn't expect anything different prior to its release. You can't follow up two James Cameron films with another, less epic director. You're just setting yourself up for mediocrity by comparison.

dronepool
05-22-2009, 12:31 AM
What was wrong with this movie? Alot of people seem to hate it and think it was unnecessary. I thought it was great. Off the top of my head theres really nothing I can think of that was bad about it. My favorite part was the action scenes, they tore down a whole city with a crane. But everything else, I thought, was awesome.

What do you think of it?

You know, seeing all this T3 bashing, I wanna say this- being a Terminator fan, Rise of The Machines wasn't bad. I enjoyed it. Sure it isn't a masterpiece like Judgment Day, but it's still good (enough for me at least)

It would still get 3 stars from me. Which is still good.

I'd probably give Salvation 3.5 or maybe 4 (I have rewatch it) and the first two get 5 stars.

thedamndest
05-22-2009, 12:36 AM
I would give it a FAIL.PASS.

Nowhere Man
05-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Not a big fan of the whole 'destiny' angle. The machines were gonna take over regardless of Sarah Conner's efforts? What happened to "No fate but what we make"? This is my main gripe with T3. Other than that it was okay.

That absolutely drove me nuts. I mean, the entire point of the Terminator franchise, the whole reason Kyle Reese and any of the Terminators were sent back in time, was that you can change the future. Then in T-3, Arnie says that it's all 'inevitable' anyway, thus making anything that anyone does in the movies completely pointless.

thedamndest
05-22-2009, 05:59 PM
I don't have a problem with it. They are working to change the future, but Cyberdyne is working to make it stay the same. They did change it by stalling Judgment Day, but it was going to happen because on the other end of the coin, Cyberdyne is a much larger corporation than just John Connor and co.

I'm not sure about how it worked out in regards to a "timeshift" since in T2 Arnie did say Judgement Day actually occurred in 1997. That would imply that by averted it until 2004 and changing the events, John Connor would have literally changed the future and erased Arnie and himself from existance. That's my larger concern.

Reavant
05-23-2009, 02:36 PM
That absolutely drove me nuts. I mean, the entire point of the Terminator franchise, the whole reason Kyle Reese and any of the Terminators were sent back in time, was that you can change the future. Then in T-3, Arnie says that it's all 'inevitable' anyway, thus making anything that anyone does in the movies completely pointless.

kyle went back in time to protect sarah and concieve john so that he could lead the humans against the machines. John Connor's whole existance is proof that judgment day was destined to happen because a man named kyle reese has to come back somehow. Its like a self fulfilling prohecy.

Terminator 2 was about changing the future but as you can see from the idea you get from T1 you can only change it a little. Which is why you hear in the previews for this next movie, that this war isnt the one his mother warned him about.

I'm not sure about how it worked out in regards to a "timeshift" since in T2 Arnie did say Judgement Day actually occurred in 1997. That would imply that by averted it until 2004 and changing the events, John Connor would have literally changed the future and erased Arnie and himself from existance. That's my larger concern.

Skynet still knew that he had a connection with a model that looked like that. Thats why the model was sent to kill him and once it did, it was sent back by the humans to protect him.