PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take you guys to move up difficulties in GH/RB?

Funky Fly
05-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Here's a little back story: Guitar Hero comes out for the PS2. I'm playing this ish on easy at first because I suck like that. Then I step my ish up to medium. Took like 2 hours to be able to go through without failing. Took 2 days to get decent. Took another day to get good. Now After some time being Captain Medium, I tried to step up to hard. 1 week later I can get through the first tier with a bit of a struggle. And it's not the speed, it's the god damn orange notes. :mad:

Then a bunch of real life shit happens, like school and nearly dying and I'm back to square 1. Back to medium. In that time GH3, GH:WT RB1 and RB2 have come out and I am only now tyring to step back up to hard. Only I can't get through the pussiest songs without failing.

So how long did it take you fuggas? And got any advice?

Also, I suspect my finger dexterity has taken a hit with the muscle disease thing, since I cramp up a lot faster than before and I make silly mistakes here and there.

road doggy dogg
05-25-2009, 02:25 AM
I don't know, when I first first played it, I was on Easy for like a day, then I moved up to Hard once I figured out how the heck to play. Prolly took a couple months before I moved to Expert, now it's just Expert or bust. If it makes you feel any better, it seems the songs are getting easier as they move away from the central focus of the guitar and add all the other shit to the game, so it shouldn't be long to get back to hard/expert.
crossrine

Blitz
05-25-2009, 02:34 AM
I remember playing my first time on easy and missing like every third note. I remember being absolutely elated when I managed to beat Carry Me Home on medium. Kinda hit a wall when I moved up to hard/expert and never really passed it, still a lot of songs I can't beat on expert in every game, and some on hard too.

Shaggy
05-25-2009, 03:57 AM
I think depending on how much you play moving up should be every few months.

All I can remember is only playing on medium all the time on GH and then one day I played on hard for a while and now medium is boring as hell.

Kane Knight
05-25-2009, 12:43 PM
I feel your pain, Funk. Literally. Since my shoulder injury, my hand doesn't like guitar (real or fake) as much. So while I had most of GH2 on Expert, Rock Band and GH3 made me want to die.

RoXer
05-25-2009, 04:04 PM
What are you guys talking about?

Funky Fly
05-25-2009, 04:54 PM
What are you guys talking about?

Moving up difficulties in guitar games... :wtf:

Or if you mean dexterity issues, KK's shoulder injury and my muscle disease make it difficult to move our fingers really fast.

Kane Knight
05-25-2009, 05:32 PM
Wouldn't be so bad for me except I have trouble playing long enough to build up speed. My fingers are still nimble, I just need to get the repetitions to suss the patterns.

G
05-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Moving up difficulties in guitar games... :wtf:

Or if you mean dexterity issues, KK's shoulder injury and my muscle disease make it difficult to move our fingers really fast.

He's being sarcastic, because he is a self proclaimed "master" of guitar games who started on expert.

Requiem
05-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I was forced to start on medium because my friends were already playing on hard by the time I started to play GH 1. They wouldn't do easy, so they made me do medium. After a couple weeks of that, I moved up to hard with them, and probably a month after that we all moved up to expert. Since then, I only play expert.

I haven't played any of those games for a LONG time now.. probably 7 or 8 months. Haven't even played RB 2 or GH:WT. GH2 was the one I played the shit out of, and then DS and I rocked out on Rock Band for a long while until we got tired of it. Still not to a point where I can beat -any- song on Expert, but I am at a point where I can beat most of them, and I have even had a few FC's on expert.

DaveWadding
05-25-2009, 08:50 PM
He's being sarcastic, because he is a self proclaimed "master" of guitar games who started on expert.

Joey "Pretentious Douche" RoXer

:love:

mitchables
05-26-2009, 12:29 AM
When I first got Guitar Hero, played like one song on Easy to get the feel for it, then went straight to Medium. Played through on Medium then went to Hard. Hard probably took me a few days to get my head around, but I didn't pass it immediately. Expert I still can only do some songs on; I've pretty much plateaued solidly on Hard.

The Mask
05-26-2009, 01:15 AM
has anyone here started on guitar hero and then decided to actually buy a real guitar?

i have only played guitar hero perhaps 4 times in my life so i am absolutely terrible at it despite the fact i could probably pick the songs i'm playing up by ear on a normal guitar in the time it takes to play them. it's quite upsetting but the way the sustain etc works totally throws me off. as well as playing notes where on a normal guitar it'd be a pull-off.

dunno where i'm going with this.

mitchables
05-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Yeah my flatmate is an amazing guitarist in real life but he struggled a bit with Guitar Hero at first. He was like "this is unnecessarily difficult". But we both started at expert on drums because we found it impossible to play at the lower difficulties. All half beats and stuff. Harder than the actual beats.

Fignuts
05-26-2009, 01:44 AM
Started out with GH2 on expert, then moved up to hard when GH3 came out. Finally moved to expert when Rockband dropped.

The biggest help for getting the orange note down, was Frets on Fire, since the speeds of difficulties aren't set like they are in consoles. The song creator sets that. So a lot of expert note charts will be set at easy speed. You can achieve the same effect in practice mode of the real games tho.

It's hard to learn how to use the orange note, when it' moving so fast.

Fignuts
05-26-2009, 01:48 AM
has anyone here started on guitar hero and then decided to actually buy a real guitar?

i have only played guitar hero perhaps 4 times in my life so i am absolutely terrible at it despite the fact i could probably pick the songs i'm playing up by ear on a normal guitar in the time it takes to play them. it's quite upsetting but the way the sustain etc works totally throws me off. as well as playing notes where on a normal guitar it'd be a pull-off.

Yeah, these games made me buy a fender strat. Unfortunatly things got hard for methis winter, and I didn't have time or money for lessons. But things have gotten better, and I'll be starting soon.

But yeah, these games inspire you to learn the real thing.

Kane Knight
05-26-2009, 10:34 AM

I find GH/RB to be fairly organic. Especially on expert.

Kalyx triaD
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I promise you: Expert difficulty isn't nearly as hard as it's believed to be. And only a few songs will really kick your ass at that level. If you're hitting late 80's/90 percents on Hard, you can play Expert.

Taft
05-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Eh, probably about three weeks.

I was playing medium for the longest, then just because I wanted to show my friends up I started playing Expert.

I sucked, mind you. But that's all I played from then on out.

DaveWadding
05-26-2009, 05:08 PM

I bought a Les Paul after playing Guitar Hero, but I've been meaning to learn how to play for a long time.

Kapoutman
05-26-2009, 11:06 PM
I mastered medium after one night of playing. When I bought GH2, it took me about a week before finishing hard. When GH3 came out, I finished it on hard, then had to play practice mode for a while to be able to play expert. Now I simply go right to expert each time a game comes out.

D Mac
05-26-2009, 11:21 PM
Can't remember but it was a slow process. The hard expert songs still give me fits, but I can handle most alright.

D Mac
05-28-2009, 12:03 AM
The question of true greatness is:

Has anyone of you beat Through the Fire and Flames on Hard or Expert.

I got to 86% on hard and that's it.

Kalyx triaD
05-28-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm pretty sure I would have by now.

Fignuts
05-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Got to 91% on hard, last time I tried.

Definitely could do it now, as I can easily beat those Yngweie or whatever it is tracks on hard in rockband.

Could probably beat it on expert now, if not for the intro.

Kalyx triaD
05-28-2009, 01:10 AM
Red Devil? Damnation Game? I beat Red Devil on Expert, never got around to Damnation Game for some reason.

D Mac
05-28-2009, 02:42 AM

Definitely could do it now, as I can easily beat those Yngweie or whatever it is tracks on hard in rockband.

Oh I don't know, that last solo is a bitch.

Fignuts
05-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Last time I tried was probably a year ago tho.

D Mac
05-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Broke out GH 3 last night and still can't get past Before I Forget and 3s & 7s on expert.

Kapoutman
05-28-2009, 11:30 PM
I can beat TTFATF on hard. I barely make 5% on Expert though.

Fignuts
05-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Part of the problem is the GH guitar. It feels so awkward after using the strat, and I fail on stuff that I could beat with the RB guitar.

road doggy dogg
05-29-2009, 03:58 AM

I've beaten it on hard. Expert I can't do the stupid intro. I almost did it once while taping the green button down, but after about 10 minutes I lost interest and did something productive with my time.
crossrine

road doggy dogg
05-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Part of the problem is the GH guitar. It feels so awkward after using the strat, and I fail on stuff that I could beat with the RB guitar.

See, I'm the opposite. There's three things that held me back from getting RB2 over GH:WT:

1. The guitar. I cannot stand the Rock Band guitar. The flimsy little strum bar, the buttons that press down too easily. Bah, I don't know. I still use the Guitar Hero 3 guitar, even in World Tour.

2. The notes on the track. Those rectangles, I can't stand them. I can't even tell which notes are hammer-ons, because they're almost the same size as the normal strummed notes.

3. Prisoner of Society.

Otherwise I would've gotten RB2 because they generally have more/better songs. I really do not like the RB guitar. :(
crossrine

Fignuts
05-29-2009, 04:42 AM
I like the RB guitar, just because the buttons are flat. I find it easier to slide back and forth to the orange button that way.

And yeah, the little hammer on rectangles were a pain at first, but you get used to them and can easily tell the difference after a while.

G
05-29-2009, 09:30 AM
I like the RB guitar, just because the buttons are flat. I find it easier to slide back and forth to the orange button that way.

And yeah, the little hammer on rectangles were a pain at first, but you get used to them and can easily tell the difference after a while.

I agree about the guitar. I found it harder to use the WT guitar because they were raised. It also could've been because I was standing up playing at a Toys R Us kiosk.

I found it harder noticing those notes in WT. I've heard your side from a lot of people, so it just must be because RB is what I started out on (and got used to).

road doggy dogg
05-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah I guess I am just more "loyal" to GH than RB since I played it pretty much exclusively from the beginning. The small intricacies just make it feel more comfortable.
crossrine

The Mackem
05-29-2009, 05:15 PM
My girlfriend hammered it and moved up quite quickly. I think I lost interest on medium somewhere.