PDA

View Full Version : 2 Time Ring of Honor Champion...

The Show Off
06-14-2009, 01:59 AM
AUSTIN ARIES!!!

I just got back from Ring of Honor's Manhattan Mayhem III, and once again ROH put on one heck of a show.

The card started off all the wrestlers coming to the ring in order to honor Mitsuharu Misawa with a 10 bell salute which even brought Ric Flair out, it was a touching way for the guys to show respect for their fallen comrads.

The actual events of the show started with Austin Aries of "A Double" that he's calling himself. He went on to put himself over by calling New Yorkers arrogant and ignorant and fake tough guys even saying "You New Yorkers didn't look too tough on one September a few years ago... too soon" which was cheap heat. Then he brings out the two men he's put under his wing...

King Kenny King or "K Triple" and Rhett Titus who wound up losing a hot match to the start lots of spots very good match.

The next match was Necro winning a very quick match against Jimmy Rave... nothing special except for me asking Nana for some stimulous package money he said "Next time I need someone to wash my car I'll call you."

Then Flair came out (I got to shake his hand) and put over the ROH fans and then told some girl at ringside he'd make a woman out of her.

Then the first blood match between Tyler Black and Jimmy Jacobs happens or doesn't happen... They brawl for like 5 minutes out side then Jimmy gets a screw driver hand jabs the face of Tyler... The bell rings Tyler is bleeding... the bell rings again and Jimmy wins. Tyler goes nuts and starts beating up refs and Jacobs. When Jacobs flees Tyler takes the mic (not his stong suit) And says he came to New York to prove a point so he's taking the Championship match he has saved up to make tonights main event a 3 Way Dance between he Lynn and Aries.

Sonjay Dutt and Roderick Strong put on a really excellent match which happens whenever the two of them get together. Roderick Strong wins by... I forget.

...then intermission and I bought ROH Unified...

Back to the card Danielson, Castignoli, D-Lo Brown, & Colt Cabana put on a lack luster match (for their standards) but that mau just be because for the duration of the match some jackass kept yelling "D-LO" in my ear. Cabana wins by submitting D-Lo which made the guy behind me shut up.

Generico & Steen put on a fantastic submission match with the American Wolves with great story telling and a double Sharpshooter moment that had the whole crowd going nuts. The American Wolves take the win by hitting Generico with the ring bell and then a Texas Cloverleaf.

Jay Briscoe defeated Guido in an okay match... nothing special.

The main even is announced as a Three Way Elimination match with Nigel McGuinness as the outside enforcer. The match starts out with Lynn and Black beating on Aries but soon it becomes everyman for themselves. Lynn was eliminated first when Tyler hit his finisher I don't remember the name of which excited the crowd. The match was then a very back and forth match between Tyler and Austin with many false finishes until Tyler's leg goes out, which was worked on all match, and Austin hits the brain buster and wins the ROH Championship for the second time.

After the match K Triple and Addicted to Love come out and hold A Double up on their shoulders and celebrate.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-14-2009, 02:02 AM
nice

ron the dial
06-14-2009, 02:08 AM
oh so awesome

thecc
06-14-2009, 02:18 AM
A double baby. Was the Roddy/ Sonjay better than their match from best of the best?

Juan
06-14-2009, 02:20 AM
Awesome

The Show Off
06-14-2009, 02:27 AM
A double baby. Was the Roddy/ Sonjay better than their match from best of the best?

I never saw that match, but this match only last like 10 or 12 minutes so it wasn't very long. Those guys bring out the best in one another.

The Chris Rosa
06-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Rate the show out of 10.

Fignuts
06-14-2009, 02:32 AM
Sounds like a great show, but the fact that aries needs to make a 9/11 joke to get heat is pretty lame.

Juan
06-14-2009, 02:33 AM
Yeah, he should just be a face. The crowd *wants* to cheer this guy.

thecc
06-14-2009, 02:34 AM
I never saw that match, but this match only last like 10 or 12 minutes so it wasn't very long. Those guys bring out the best in one another.Yeah, I know CZW isn't very popular around these parts but best of the best up to 2005 was always awesome. I'd say go out of Your way to see the 2004/2005 editions.

The Show Off
06-14-2009, 02:37 AM
Rate the show out of 10.

Like 8 out of 10.

But being their live clouds my judgment.

Halbowsky
06-14-2009, 02:37 AM
I was there too. It was funny to see everyone run out to buy tickets for the next show when they announced Bret Hart would appear. and poor Mr. Seamen...

thecc
06-14-2009, 02:45 AM
Like 8 out of 10.

But being their live clouds my judgment.So glad to hear this especially after the extended run of awful shows.

The Show Off
06-14-2009, 02:57 AM
I was there too. It was funny to see everyone run out to buy tickets for the next show when they announced Bret Hart would appear. and poor Mr. Seamen...

That was hilarious, where were you seated?

Juan
06-14-2009, 02:59 AM
So glad to hear this especially after the extended run of awful shows.

I dunno, I'm pretty new to ROH and I agree that some of the shows this year have not been great, but it's still some of the best wrestling out there.

Halbowsky
06-14-2009, 03:07 AM
That was hilarious, where were you seated?

I was 2nd row in the section opposite from where the wrestlers come out. I was in the red ROH shirt, backwards black hat, and glasses

thecc
06-14-2009, 03:11 AM
I dunno, I'm pretty new to ROH and I agree that some of the shows this year have not been great, but it's still some of the best wrestling out there. Don't get me wrong they still have some of the best talent in the world. I have more of a problem with Pearce's booking. He really dropped the ball on Tyler Black. Plus the abundance of former E guys they've been bringing in makes them look very TNAish.

The Show Off
06-14-2009, 12:56 PM
I was 2nd row in the section opposite from where the wrestlers come out. I was in the red ROH shirt, backwards black hat, and glasses

Yeah I was forth row I sat next to where the wrestlers come out.

thedamndest
06-14-2009, 01:05 PM
If you weren't showing off before, you are now.

Innovator
06-14-2009, 03:59 PM
ARIES

thecc
06-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Ric Flair appeared as part of a pre-show autograph session prior to the ROH show in NYC last night and then cut a promo midway through the show but did not work as the special ring enforcer for the ROH Title match as previously announced. Flair apparently packed his bags and left the show right after his promo, surprising ROH since Flair had not said anything about not wanting to perform his scheduled ring enforcer gig earlier in the afternoon. ROH officials tried to catch Flair before he left but were unable to.

Word from backstage is that Flair was given several spots to do during the main event bout within his role as special enforcer but started telling people that he would leave after his promo. He also apparently didn't want to be caught on HDNet cameras which were on hand to shoot footage of the show. With so many spots built around the Figure Four during the main event, that may have had something to do with Flair not wanting to be part of the match.

Flair is still scheduled for three more ROH appearances in the next month.

Credit: PWInsider

thecc
06-14-2009, 05:13 PM
Correction: apparently Silkin knew and tried to get Flair to do it. Flair refused even though he was paid well in advance.

Mr. Nerfect
06-15-2009, 01:32 AM
Sounds like a good show. I've heard that Little Guido looked really good in his match against Jay Briscoe, and that people really cheered the guy and started a "thank you" chant after the match. Is this true?

Austin Aries definitely is the right choice to be the ROH World Champion right now. Sometimes ROH holds off on putting the title on a guy, and tries to shove the wrong choice down our throats, but Aries is the guy that should be holding the belt right now.

Destor
06-15-2009, 04:24 AM
The Danielson mark in me really wanted him to get that honor of becoming the first two time RoH champion. But knowing full well the were building toward a second time champion once I heard that Danielson wasn't signing a contract with them I knew Aries would be the man to get the rub almost verbally thanking him for his commitment while Danielson wouldn't. (This is not me saying Danielson haz teh heatz, simply that RoH is awarding the commitment that he made and putting the belt on a garuntee. And now that they are getting the exposure they are it's definitly a wise move.)

Aries is a hell of a worker and is deifnitly worthy of the accolade so it's all good in my book.

RoH, while it may be getting wattered down a hair since the Gabe stepped out, is still the best North Amercian prodcut for my money. And it being more assesable to the avergae mark isn't an evil notion.

Juan
06-15-2009, 04:32 AM
RoH, while it may be getting wattered down a hair since the Gabe stepped out, is still the best North Amercian prodcut for my money. And it being more assesable to the avergae mark isn't an evil notion.

Amen, brother.

Mr. Nerfect
06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
The Danielson mark in me really wanted him to get that honor of becoming the first two time RoH champion. But knowing full well the were building toward a second time champion once I heard that Danielson wasn't signing a contract with them I knew Aries would be the man to get the rub almost verbally thanking him for his commitment while Danielson wouldn't. (This is not me saying Danielson haz teh heatz, simply that RoH is awarding the commitment that he made and putting the belt on a garuntee. And now that they are getting the exposure they are it's definitly a wise move.)

Aries is a hell of a worker and is deifnitly worthy of the accolade so it's all good in my book.

Gotta agree with everything that you said. Austin Aries is, for my money, one helluva performer. The guy can talk, he can mat-wrestle, he can fly, he can tell a story and his matches are always "interesting." He never seems to bore with tedious mat-work, for example.

Also, I don't think Bryan Danielson needed the achievement. Danielson is pretty much independent wrestling royalty. More so than Aries, he is an icon for everyone not either signed on to the WWE or TNA. I would like to see Aries start feuding with other former ROH World Champions -- like Danielson and Nigel McGuinness, with them a little upset that Aries got to enter multi-reign territory first.

The Show Off
06-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Sounds like a good show. I've heard that Little Guido looked really good in his match against Jay Briscoe, and that people really cheered the guy and started a "thank you" chant after the match. Is this true?

Austin Aries definitely is the right choice to be the ROH World Champion right now. Sometimes ROH holds off on putting the title on a guy, and tries to shove the wrong choice down our throats, but Aries is the guy that should be holding the belt right now.

Yeah we all chanted "Thank You Guido!" I don't know who started it I just assumed it was his last appearance or his first appearance at ROH or something I just went with it cause I always liked Guido.

Mr. Nerfect
06-15-2009, 07:44 PM
I love me some Guido. I haven't seen nearly as much of his work as I would like, though. He's in the same boat with me as guys like Brian Kendrick and Shoichi Funaki. I hope ROH signs him, so some of his stuff gets out there a bit more.

thecc
06-15-2009, 07:51 PM
A couple of months ago I saw Guido go into a tanning parlor.I almost asked him wheres my pizza but decided against it.

Mr. Nerfect
06-16-2009, 11:49 PM
Very cool story.