PDA

View Full Version : Better Movie #10

Supreme Olajuwon
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Back to the Future beat The Shawshank Redemption. There's no clever write-up that will enhance that fact. Let's just sit here and let that soak in.

But don't sit too long, because we've got a new matchup for you. A beautiful new matchup.

Better Movie #10

http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/20/2010/3OO6D00Z/back-to-the-future.jpg
Back to the Future

vs.

http://www.movie-winners.com/pix/americanbeauty.jpg
American Beauty

Polls are open for three days. Happy voting.

<select><option selected="selected">Better Movie History</option><option>1. Ghostbuster def. Pulp Fiction (36-34)</option><option>2. Fight Club def. Ghostbusters (38-28)</option><option>3. Fight Club def. Young Frankenstein (30-9)</option><option>4. Forrest Gump def. Fight Club (34-15)</option><option>5. Forrest Gump def. Good Will Hunting (26-8)</option><option>6. Forrest Gump def. The Matrix (25-9)</option><option>7. Forrest Gump def. Raiders of the Lost Ark (29-24)</option><option>8. The Shawshank Redemption def. Forrest Gump (30-16)</option><option>9. Back to the Future def. The Shawshank Redemption (24-15)</option></select>

mitchables
06-19-2009, 12:16 PM
That's actually a much tougher call than it would appear.

I must dwell on this. Perhaps even sleep on it.

Nark Order
06-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh man. This isn't really fair. I love both of these movies but American Beauty is probably my favorite movie I've ever seen.

thedamndest
06-19-2009, 12:20 PM
1.21 jigawatts > a plastic bag.

I liked American Beauty. Kevin Spacey is always great. But for whatever reason, this movie never springs to mind when I'm thinking of really awesome movies the way Back to the Future does. I think by the time I saw the film, it had been talked up too much.

ct2k
06-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Tough choice, BTTF is the movie of my youth, but also actually a fantastic film, AB is also stunning.

DUNNO, need time to mull it over

Nark Order
06-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I hope American Beauty is not treated as a typical second round opponent here. It could easily go into the Hall of Fame.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-19-2009, 12:57 PM
Despite having to convince the people I saw the movie with that Ricky Fitts was not the same guy who played Donnie Darko, I was still completely entranced by American Beauty. It's just something about it.

Kevin Spacey gave one of the best performances I've ever seen, Annette Bening was amazing and should've won an Oscar (fuck you Hilary Swank), Thomas Newman composed a fantastic score, and Sam Mendes put together an absolutely beautiful piece of art.

Nark Order
06-19-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree. Anette Benning got pretty shafted. She should've won the Oscar hands down. Got nothing against Hilary Swank but come on.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I hope American Beauty is not treated as a typical second round opponent here. It could easily go into the Hall of Fame.
Fight Club and Back to the Future were both 2nd round opponents. I don't think there's really a treatment that films are getting.

Lock Jaw
06-19-2009, 02:32 PM
American Beauty is highly overrated. Started off with potential, but then took a nosedive.

Back to the Future all the way.

toxic rooster
06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
I could see myself agonising over this decision for days, so in the end I went with the first one that popped into my head.

McFly wins again

Nark Order
06-19-2009, 02:42 PM
American Beauty is in no way overrated.

Jeritron
06-19-2009, 02:45 PM
American Beauty is an amazing film, but I just haven't gotten the enjoyability out of it that BTTF has given me since my youth.

Both are classics for the ages, of different genres. In my view, American Beauty could be the better film, but BTTF is probably my favorite of the two.

Boondock Saint
06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Hate American Beauty.

Zeeboe
06-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Tough one, but I gotta go with Back to the Future. Mainly because while I think American Beauty is a wonderful, inspiring, entertaining and amazing film, it's depressing, while Back to the Future is a childhood classic that makes me happy. No disrespect intended AT ALL towards American Beauty. I love that movie, and they say the truly best films are the ones that can bring tears to your eyes, and John Cusack was so brilliant in the lead...............Cusack......Cusack.........Cusack.....Cusack....was it Cusack? :wtf:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXF8Lhvjqa8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yXF8Lhvjqa8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>