PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best at "selling"?

Rollermacka
06-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I was watching some Val Venis matches from Heat against guys like Snitsky, DH Smith, Paul Burchill and I think that Val is possibly one of the best guys at selling a move. He made Burchill look like the Hulk because of the way he rolled around in pain or screamed when Burchill hit him with an elbow or submission. Who else jumps ouit in your man as a person who can make a wrestler who is generic and make them look like a powerhouse in the ring. The only other name I can really think of would be Shawn Michaels the way he flopps around, and dose back rolls when he is selling.

James Steele
06-22-2009, 10:43 AM
Shawn Michaels

Testicle
06-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Jeff Hardy

CSL
06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Randall Keith Orton and RVD straight off the top of my head

Gertner
06-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Of all time I'd have to say Mr. Perfect.

TSI
06-22-2009, 12:20 PM
HBK

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyN5sAShqOA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XyN5sAShqOA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shadow
06-22-2009, 12:56 PM
The Rock.

4 knuckles up
06-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Shawn Michaels

He said selling, not over selling.

Nicky Fives
06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
The Rock or Mr. Perfect

thedamndest
06-22-2009, 01:27 PM
What makes HBK so great at selling is not just the looks on his face, but that he actually stays down for the right amount of time when somebody performs a big move on him. Same thing with his kick outs. There is a big difference in kicking out right on two and right before three and HBK is great at timing those, depending where he is in the match.

Flair and Perfect for the same reasons, but HBK is the best on the roster right now. Punk, Jericho, and Edge are pretty great too.

Krimzon7
06-22-2009, 01:28 PM
*crosses hands, leans back, crosses legs, and waits for Noid*

IC Champion
06-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Randall Keith Orton and RVD straight off the top of my head

They have to be the 2 worse

Fox
06-22-2009, 03:25 PM
If selling means making the other guy look good, then Mick Foley hands down.

Rollermacka
06-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Shawn Michaels

He said selling, not over selling.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HJVjsqv6W9Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HJVjsqv6W9Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I dont know, I thought that always happens in a Hogan match, to include the Benny Hill music :shifty:

CSL
06-22-2009, 03:53 PM
They have to be the 2 worse

1. 'Worst'

2. Shut up

Johnny Vegas
06-22-2009, 04:04 PM
in the game right now, i'd say Jeff Hardy or Orton. The Rock can sell the hell out of a move. Him selling the stunner and the spear are greatness and uniqueness

Juan
06-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Bret Hart & Shawn Michaels

Dave Youell
06-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Thing about selling.

It's more than just 'how' they sell, it's about who they are and how they sell with respect of who they are.

For me, Benoit was a great seller at the time, you know, before, that.

Right now, I'd say Evan Bourne, mainly because you instantly connect with him, as he's always going to be an underdog, so his selling really matches his style and gains his sympathy.

Jeff, is a decent seller, but he dead sells too much for my liking (taking a big bump and just laying there after, with Jeff, it's more about the bump than the sell of the move IMO)

DAMN iNATOR
06-23-2009, 04:10 AM
Orton and HBK.

Rammsteinmad
06-23-2009, 04:30 AM
Good post Dave! :y:

Gotta agree with Benoit, and RVD as well. I loved the way RVD would always shout "Owh!" after a kick or something.

RVDmark
06-23-2009, 07:56 PM
After last night, Donald Trump. :shifty:

RVDmark
06-23-2009, 08:02 PM
If selling means making the other guy look good, then Mick Foley hands down.

:y:

Lux
06-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Orton, Hardy

The Show Off
06-23-2009, 10:46 PM
I always thought Tommy Dreamer was good at selling. Kevin Steen is probably the best in ROH, which isn't saying much since selling doesn't happen much in the indies.

Shawn Michaels is pretty good at selling but he always looks like he got hit with a truck which sometimes is good and other times is bad.

Randy Orton is really great at selling, watch Royal Rumble 2005 his match against Triple H and you'll see great selling of a concussion.

Rob Van Dam flops too much after a move but the way he takes a move is amazing like how he took the RKO. But a sell is more than taking the move.

Foley was great at selling but a lot of the times he wasn't really "selling" he was actually hurt.

I like Christopher Daniel's selling, but I like his everything (make the gay jokes if you will).

I think the best person a "selling" is...

Samoa Joe.

Which is the strangest thing because for the majority of his career he's been booked as an unstopable killing machine but when a wrestler does get to him he sells it just right. Their have been many times where he's sold a injury so well I thought he was legit hurt only to find out he was fine. He also is able to put a rage behind his sell as if not only he's hurt but he's also pissed that he's hurt.

thecc
06-23-2009, 10:52 PM
I think the best person a "selling" is...

Samoa Joe.

Which is the strangest thing because for the majority of his career he's been booked as an unstopable killing machine but when a wrestler does get to him he sells it just right. Their have been many times where he's sold a injury so well I thought he was legit hurt only to find out he was fine. He also is able to put a rage behind his sell as if not only he's hurt but he's also pissed that he's hurt.Joe in 2003-2004 was so incredible to watch because of this. He made people believe in wrestlers who had no chance of winning.

Not Booked
06-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Mankind (1996-2000), Steve Austin and Bret Hart. I like watching Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair and the Rock, but i'd say they make it look exciting and flashy, more than 'real'.

Dr. Abyss
06-24-2009, 12:11 AM
I know he does the no sell...

But at WM 24 when facing Edge the Undertaker did a good job selling a back injury.

IRodC
06-24-2009, 01:43 AM
RVD sells ddts like noone else

But i gotta go with Mr. Perfect and Kanyon

Lux
06-24-2009, 01:56 AM
you sell ddts like noone else

:naughty:

Dave Youell
06-24-2009, 04:52 PM
RVD sells ddts like noone else

But i gotta go with Mr. Perfect and Kanyon

He doesn't sell a DDT like no one else, he takes one like no one else, there's a difference.

And personally I hate it when guys take a move differently from everyone else, it's like with Rikishi did that spin flip from a line, no matter how small the guy giving it to him, he spins out when he gets clothslined, makes no sense

James Steele
06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
I still want to know how the fuck RVD did this:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdyeRBkmUGA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdyeRBkmUGA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Chavo Classic
06-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Is it just me, or the whole point of 'selling' to make it as subtle as possible?

In which case, RVD is at the back of the crowd

James Steele
06-24-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm not saying that is good or bad selling, but I still want to know how the hell he bounced like a damn basketball off the top of his head.

Testicle
06-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Either way RVD is fucking sweet.

Dave Youell
06-25-2009, 02:49 AM
I always thought RVD took it by using his hands and pushing himself back up

After closer inspection it appears that’s not the case

Then I thought it was Tommy helping him, again no, as he’s leaning back too much.

So,

Watch his legs, on impact he bends them, and almost kips up on impact, so, it almost looks like he’s doing half a kip up from Tommy’s legs once he takes the bump, totally agree it’s an insane bump.

Remember that the ECW ring was super bouncy as well, that probably helped

Shadow
06-25-2009, 04:01 AM
Is it just me, or the whole point of 'selling' to make it as subtle as possible?

In which case, RVD is at the back of the crowd

I think the sell in this case shows that Dreamer is a beast when it comes to a Piledriver.

Rollermacka
06-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I still want to know how the fuck RVD did this:

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdyeRBkmUGA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdyeRBkmUGA&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Yea, I remember that about the ECW ring. The ring itself was very bouncy and yet the ropes where extremely tightly bound. It was kinda like one of those situations where your baking and burn something on the outside but it's still frozen inside.

Mr. Nerfect
06-27-2009, 10:17 PM
Of course, I'm going to jump at the chance to praise Val Venis. I really did like the man's selling. It was probably a big reason he was kept around so long, despite no real plans to use him. The man could just make a guy look like a monster. Venis was especially good at selling back bumps.

I'm trying to avoid the obvious big names like Shawn Michaels or The Rock. But I'd like to put over the selling ability of Paul Burchill. Not only does he take moves well, but Burchill makes everything that he hits his opponent with look credible, as well as making everything his opponent hits him with look credible, as well.

Dolph Ziggler has also been incredibly fun to watch bump around for The Great Khali and Jeff Hardy on SmackDown!.

pj69
06-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Of all time I'd have to say Mr. Perfect.

Agreed.

St. Jimmy
06-27-2009, 11:36 PM
HBK.

Triple Naitch
06-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Easily Don West

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OmQrmiqr7Fg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OmQrmiqr7Fg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

midLfinger
06-30-2009, 07:21 PM
First, not nearly enough Ric Flair in this thread.

Second, I wonder what is labeled as "selling." You've got guys like Shawn Michaels and Ric Flair who's STYLE it is to, basically, get the crap kicked outta themselves for the entire match and, in Michaels case especially, come back at the end with a series of moves. Is that "selling" or is that just the way they wrestle every match. You've also got guys who no-sell everything, like Hulk Hogan, which is, in and of itself, selling the move as being ineffective against the demi-God that was Hulk Hogan in the mid-80s.

A guy who perfectly balances would probably be the best seller. A guy who looks strong against weak guys and weak against strong guys. I'd say Orton but when he's going against weaker guys he always acts like he took a sleeping pill. He just moves way more lazily. Most other guys are always dominant (Undertaker, Triple H, John Cena) or always weak (Shawn Michaels, Jeff Hardy, Edge) and still others aren't exactly great at being remembered for either (Chris Jericho).

All-time? I'd say The Rock dominated and made it look real (late '99-01) and got his ass whipped and made it look real (facing Goldberg) while also having great back and forth matches (Austin and Lesnar). Dwayne Johnson, in 2000, made you think the Big Show was The Rock's bitch and, in 2003, made you think the Hurricane stood a shot at beating The Rock.

Dr. Abyss
06-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Mr. Perfect was real good at it. He was just simply perfect. Sorry I was watching his DVD last night.

Jannettyzilla
07-01-2009, 02:01 AM
Not enough Jake Roberts love in this thread, either.

FourFifty
07-01-2009, 02:07 AM
How can this thread go on this long without any love for Morrison?

FourFifty
07-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Easily Don West

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OmQrmiqr7Fg&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Billy Mays > Don West

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tyct9l-fD8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_tyct9l-fD8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mooияakeя™
07-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Iron Mike Sharpe.

His grunts go down in folklore.

Dave Youell
07-01-2009, 07:03 AM
You've also got guys who no-sell everything, like Hulk Hogan, which is, in and of itself, selling the move as being ineffective against the demi-God that was Hulk Hogan in the mid-80s.

You're an idoit

People only remember the comebacks and assume that Hogan no sold everything, infact he sold VERY well, infact his style, if you watch his matches is to over sell, to make his superman come back look better and more impressive as he was coming back from such a beating.

The worst no sellers as by far the LOD

Innovator
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Dammit, you beat me to a Road Warriors joke

I'd put Punk in there too, PWInsider has had to put up statements saying hes fine after getting a lot of emails asking if he is legit hurt following a match.

midLfinger
07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
You're an idoit

People only remember the comebacks and assume that Hogan no sold everything, infact he sold VERY well, infact his style, if you watch his matches is to over sell, to make his superman come back look better and more impressive as he was coming back from such a beating.

The worst no sellers as by far the LOD

Tell ya what. Since you started off calling me an idiot because you disagree with something I said, I'll assume you're unreasonable and not even attempt to put forth an argument.

redoneja
07-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Bret Hart and HBK immediately jumped into my mind. Both sold in different ways but they were both extremely effective. Curt Hennig as well.

Dave Youell
07-02-2009, 02:58 AM
Tell ya what. Since you started off calling me an idiot because you disagree with something I said, I'll assume you're unreasonable and not even attempt to put forth an argument.

No, I called you an idiot, because your statement is foolish and is not based on facts. But if you want to go down the whole 'I won't dignify your response because you called me a name' go for it, because I'm sure it's because your the better man and not because you don't have anything to come back with.

In pretty much all of Hogan's big marquee matches he sells well to make his comebacks look more effective. The only things he no sells are offence he gets during his comeback, but that's the whole point of who he is and what fans want to see. His 25 years + career should prove that.

For the record, I don't like Hogan, not a fan, but recognise that he was very good at what he did, it wasn't an accident he became the draw he did.

There's loads of guys who don't sell, Hogan isn't one of them

midLfinger
07-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Fine.

Maybe there's some disagreement on what "selling" means here. Personally, I am of the opinion that if someone beats the crap out of you for 10 minutes and then hits you with their biggest move you should have some lasting impact from all of the damage you just sustained (i.e.: selling a leg injury). Hogan would act like none of that happened. He'd shake his head and suddenly he was invincible. Falling down after getting hit is not selling. Acting like the hit somehow damaged you is selling.

Hogan rarely acted hurt once he Hulked up. Additionally, he'd have a fuckin' party in the ring after every match. Hogan could get hit by a semi-truck a week before the match and not act like he was hurt during the match. Actually, "guy hurts Hogan, Hogan wants revenge" was usually the buildup to his matches and he rarely acted like he had gotten hurt so bad by his previous beat-down.

I wasn't arguing that he was poor at selling before but since you're so adament that Hogan "sold VERY well" let's recognize that the majority of what Hogan sold was rest hold after rest hold and when not such he would just make his face like he was gonna start crying.

For the record, I DO like Hogan, AM a fan, but recognize that he, in my humble opinion, sucked the big one when it came to selling.

I also completely agree with your remarks about the Road Warriors. They would've been a better example than Hogan for me to use.

Skippord
07-02-2009, 03:51 AM
I always thought RVD took it by using his hands and pushing himself back up

After closer inspection it appears that’s not the case

Then I thought it was Tommy helping him, again no, as he’s leaning back too much.

So,

Watch his legs, on impact he bends them, and almost kips up on impact, so, it almost looks like he’s doing half a kip up from Tommy’s legs once he takes the bump, totally agree it’s an insane bump.

I think the only way to explain it is by saying RVD is a wizard