PDA

View Full Version : Injuries that indirectly changed History

Hanso Amore
07-07-2009, 07:32 PM
I was thinking today about how if Stevie Ray was never injured in 1997, Booker T would never have become the 5 time....5 time....5 time....5 Time...5 Time...5time WCW champ, and would have never become a main eventer.

Or how if Magnum TA has never gotten injured, Sting and Steamboat might never had had the matches with Flair that made their careers.

What other injuries can you think of that indirectly would have changed history?

Theo Dious
07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Austin's neck injury led to the angle where he was being kept from wrestling "for his own good," and without that bit of business, his popularity might not have sparked the same way and a lot of things might have been different.

HHH's first quad tear kept him out of the whole Invasion angle, which he would certainly have been a major player in, so who knows how that changed things. Same with Benoit's neck circa the same time.

Pardeep 619
07-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Had Kennedy not injured his tricep in 2007 (and had people realised it was not torn) then maybe he could have won the World Title off Undertaker and may still be in WWE today.

Pardeep 619
07-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Had Kevin Nash not torn his quadrcep in 2002, the NWO angle would have continued to run and maybe HHH would have been in the NWO (as teased by WWE by the angle they were running) and Shawn may not have had the vision to come back and wrestle.

Xero
07-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Michaels' back in 98. Would have been pretty huge for him to be in the Attitude mix.

Pardeep 619
07-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Cena's torn pectoral muscle in 2007 - had it not happened then the No Mercy 2007 storyline between Orton and HHH would not have happened and Randy Orton would never have had the long title reign from it.

XIII
07-07-2009, 09:01 PM
bret hart taking that kick to the head from goldberg, he may have been around for a while longer had a few more wcw title reigns and who knows maybe showed back up in the wwe sometime after the the purchase of wcw, maybe ,maybe not who knows...

also..... i wanna say taz had alot of injuries that had him retire early but the wwe already shit on him by that time and decided his fate to be nothing more than a wash up....... to bad

Pardeep 619
07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Michaels injuring his knee in 1997, leading to the "I've lost my smile" speech and missing out on the Bret-HBK WM13 rematch...

... oh wait that wasn't a legit injury.

Gertner
07-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Kerry Von Erich's foot injury.

Pardeep 619
07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
How about Brian Pillman's ankle injury. Had he not been in such severe pain then maybe he would not have done so much drugs and still been alive for a few more years (bearing in mind the heart defect he had). Wonder what would have happened had he been alive during the Montreal incident...

DaBrasko
07-07-2009, 09:29 PM
If Bob Orton's arm was never injured he would have never worn the cast for so long and it wouldn't have been his most noticeable gimmick.

DaBrasko
07-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Also Rick Rude's neck injury. Surly he would have been a world champion multiple times.

DaBrasko
07-07-2009, 09:32 PM
RVD's Knee injury right before One Night Stand.

DaBrasko
07-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Paul Orndorf, I would imagine he would have been apart of more major programs.

road doggy dogg
07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Drew Bledsoe opening the door for Tom Brady.
crossrine

Innovator
07-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Taz's neck injury from the Malenko piledriver
Austin's neck, he would still be going today
Magnum definitely, NWA would have been completely different
Kane in 2002, getting ready for a huge push before that happened
Bam Bam's knee in 1988, he was one of the favorites going into the tournament

JT
07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Michaels' back in 98. Would have been pretty huge for him to be in the Attitude mix.

I still say he milked that one...

Testicle
07-07-2009, 10:01 PM
I still say he milked that one...

He was out for 4.5 years man, I doubt he milked it. He couldn't even walk right when the wrestlemania match came around.

Supreme Olajuwon
07-07-2009, 10:10 PM
HHH's first quad tear kept him out of the whole Invasion angle, which he would certainly have been a major player in, so who knows how that changed things. Same with Benoit's neck circa the same time.

Aaaaaaaaand more importantly, if HHH isn't hurt, Jericho isn't the first undisputed champion.

JT
07-07-2009, 10:13 PM
He was out for 4.5 years man, I doubt he milked it. He couldn't even walk right when the wrestlemania match came around.

This is just my thoughts, but I felt it weird to have this "career ending" injury at a time where other wrestlers popularity were going through the roof. However, when all these wrestlers are gone (Rock to Hollywood, Austin going home), all the sudden Michaels makes his return. Not only that, but the minute he's in the ring, he was back to doing the same moves and spots he did before retiring...like nothing was wrong with him.

I like Michaels and still think he's a great entertainer, but still don't feel his injuries were as bad as he made them out. I think he just didn't want to play second fiddle to the new generation of main eventers...but hey, that's just my opinions; agree or disagree with it if you like.

DAMN iNATOR
07-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Well, unfortunately, Edge's injury will probably lead to Jericho and whoever replaces Edge dropping the tag belts to The Legacy @ NoC later this month.:-\

JT
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Strangely, a new injury may lead to a new round of circumstances...

Edge and the Undisputed Tag Team Championship...what wrestler's (or wrestlers') future can profit from this?

JT
07-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Well, unfortunately, Edge's injury will probably lead to Jericho and whoever replaces Edge dropping the tag belts to The Legacy @ NoC later this month.:-\

Damn you for beating me to this. T_T

Testicle
07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
This is just my thoughts, but I felt it weird to have this "career ending" injury at a time where other wrestlers popularity were going through the roof. However, when all these wrestlers are gone (Rock to Hollywood, Austin going home), all the sudden Michaels makes his return. Not only that, but the minute he's in the ring, he was back to doing the same moves and spots he did before retiring...like nothing was wrong with him.

I like Michaels and still think he's a great entertainer, but still don't feel his injuries were as bad as he made them out. I think he just didn't want to play second fiddle to the new generation of main eventers...but hey, that's just my opinions; agree or disagree with it if you like.

Oh, I understand your point, there are many that agree with you.

I do believe that his back was in really bad shape and that he was no longer able to compete, while it was amazing that he was able to return to his old form 4.5 years later, with no rust it is a little questionable.

Theo Dious
07-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Aaaaaaaaand more importantly, if HHH isn't hurt, Jericho isn't the first undisputed champion.

I'm not 100% sure on that, but it would definitely have affected it.

Loose Cannon
07-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Sting hurting himself in 90 right before his huge program with Flair. He hurt himself at Clash 10 and instead Luger got Stings spot. DR Death had been sceduled to win the US Title from Luger during this time, but since Luger got bumped to Flair, he never got the match. This played a part in Death heading to the UWF instead.

Sting's program with Flair eventually got under way months later at the Bash

Fox
07-07-2009, 11:21 PM

Shawn stayed out of wrestling not just because of his bad back, but also because he had a serious drug problem. Once those issues were taken care of, he married and had his first child.

I see your pointed skepticism and it makes some logical sense, but at the same time, its easily argued away.

Fox
07-07-2009, 11:28 PM
If Goldberg hadn't punched that limousine window on the January 2000 edition of Nitro, WCW would have been very different. An angle was in the works that would see him tear through the New nWo on his way to reclaiming the belt from Bret Hart. Because of his injury, he was removed from the picture, the new nWo failed miserably without a solid opponent, and Goldberg returned later in the year and was turned heel.

The Show Off
07-07-2009, 11:51 PM
I have this weird feeling that if Triple H never got injured he would have wound up being the leader of the WCW during the Invasion angle.

James Steele
07-07-2009, 11:53 PM
I have this weird feeling that if Triple H never got injured he would have wound up being the leader of the WCW during the Invasion angle.

While a distinct possibility, I believe they were working towards a Triple H face turn as they lost the tag titles and were clearly beginning to plant the seeds of the inevitable team split-up and rivalry.

DaBrasko
07-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Taz's neck injury from the Malenko piledriver
Austin's neck, he would still be going today
Magnum definitely, NWA would have been completely different
Bam Bam's knee in 1988, he was one of the favorites going into the tournament

I think in a weird way Taz's neck injury helped his career from a character standpoint. while recovering he dropped the whole Tazmaniac gimimick and started doing a more MMA style character and eventually adopted the whole FTW thing and became ECW's monster.

wehavebensavedy2j
07-08-2009, 03:01 AM
triple h quad tear in during the invasion era... he could have been on either side and i might think he would have been on the WCW side and then turn his back on them like Angle did, but with that in mind out of those 10 guys in the match who would have been the odd man out (perhaps RVD and then he doesnt get as big as he is)... and then the Undisputed Title with Jericho well lets just say im pumped Triple H wasnt involved in that

James Steele
07-08-2009, 03:17 AM
triple h quad tear in during the invasion era... he could have been on either side and i might think he would have been on the WCW side and then turn his back on them like Angle did, but with that in mind out of those 10 guys in the match who would have been the odd man out (perhaps RVD and then he doesnt get as big as he is)... and then the Undisputed Title with Jericho well lets just say im pumped Triple H wasnt involved in that

Especially considering Triple H and Stephanie weren't dating around Vengeance 01, and didn't marry her until October 03. Of course, don't let the rectum over your eyes get in the way of seeing reality.

Impeccable
07-08-2009, 04:14 AM

Definately! :y:

Seem to remember a segment with The Rock and Hogan where Kane was talking about his "Kane-enites" and The Rock and Hogan looked at each and mimed "Kane-enites?"

The Mackem
07-08-2009, 06:46 AM
That whole period in 2001 was weird. The two man power trip had to split up due to injury to HHH and Benoit was in the main event picture until he got injured as well.

Nicky Fives
07-08-2009, 09:41 AM
If Goldberg hadn't punched that limousine window on the January 2000 edition of Nitro, WCW would have been very different. An angle was in the works that would see him tear through the New nWo on his way to reclaiming the belt from Bret Hart. Because of his injury, he was removed from the picture, the new nWo failed miserably without a solid opponent, and Goldberg returned later in the year and was turned heel.

this one.... Magnum T.A., or Austin

The Mackem
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
The thing about the Goldberg one, though, is that Bret Hart had suffered his career ending injuries at almost the same time so even if Goldberg was fit, Bret Hart wouldn't have been. I'm also thinking somebody else from NWO 2000 got injured at the same time. Plus, NWO 2000 was just before the New Blood reboot so would have bit the dust anyway.

Jeritron
07-08-2009, 10:30 AM
I think in a way all of them do. Injuries are a huge part of wrestling. Some minor injuries that we don't think of as important may have resulted into a midcard guy getting a push, or being signed that went on to be important.

Vice versa, an injury could have resulted in someone who had potential to be huge never realizing that potential, whether it slowed them down or they were released.

What if Steve Austin had gotten a minor injury in 1996? Would WWF have kept him around? What if he missed King of the Ring? What if he was released?

I'm sure stuff like that has happened to superstars before and we don't even notice it because of how minor it was.

Pardeep 619
07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Especially considering Triple H and Stephanie weren't dating around Vengeance 01, and didn't marry her until October 03. Of course, don't let the rectum over your eyes get in the way of seeing reality.

HHH and Stephanie started dating around early-mid 2000 whereas Vengeance occured in December 2001.

parkmania
07-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Owen Hart.

road doggy dogg
07-08-2009, 04:16 PM
That didn't indirectly change anything, that was pretty much a direct thing.
crossrine

Supreme Olajuwon
07-08-2009, 05:11 PM
It was a direct hit, that's for sure.

James Steele
07-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Seriously, why is that funny to people?

Fox
07-08-2009, 06:25 PM
The thing about the Goldberg one, though, is that Bret Hart had suffered his career ending injuries at almost the same time so even if Goldberg was fit, Bret Hart wouldn't have been. I'm also thinking somebody else from NWO 2000 got injured at the same time. Plus, NWO 2000 was just before the New Blood reboot so would have bit the dust anyway.

You're alluding to another indirect change in history stemming from the Goldberg (and Bret Hart) injury. If those two huge departures hadn't taken place, the New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club angle never would have happened - and that's one of the big ones that killed the interest of the casual fan. Nobody cared about seeing Sting vs. Vampiro or the Outsiders vs. O'Haire and Palumbo, especially when the company was eschewing cash out every orifice.

XL
07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I think a lot of you guys don't understand the term 'indirectly'.

NeanderCarl
07-08-2009, 07:50 PM

He had spinal surgery... that's a big commitment to pulling a fast one.

FourFifty
07-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Sabu's broken neck help make Chris Benoit.

DaBrasko
07-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Hey wait a minute... didnt Dean Malenko break Taz's neck first?? Soooo Dean should have been given the crippler gimmick!!!!