PDA

View Full Version : Covering Edge's Injury Ideas + Edge's replacement?

legendkillerRKO
07-08-2009, 01:28 AM
Here is mine,

Jericho comes out and bad mouths Edge for being injured and week. They find him a new partner and they hold the titles up until Edge returns. One night Jericho is talking about how they have beaten every team put in front of them...Edge's music hits and he challenges for the titles with his new partner...for the benefit of those with flash photography...Christian! The reunion we all want!

What do you think or what are your ideas?

Dave Youell
07-08-2009, 02:34 AM
Even if that were to happen, it's not going to happen until January when he's healed, there's no way they would expect fans to actually remember something that happened 6 months ago, especially for a tag team feud, plus that means Jericho in the tag division till at least Mania

Nah

Juan
07-08-2009, 02:46 AM
http://www.wwe.com/superstars/smackdown/edge/photos1/edge09surgery/

James Steele
07-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Due to Edge's injury, Chris Jericho must find a replacement partner to defend the championships against Legacy at Night of Champions. The replacement can be a young heel who is turning face or a tweener. The replacement is the one who loses the match and Jericho beats the shit out of him. They face off at SummerSlam, and get the rub of being in a high profile match on a high profile PPV against Jericho.

Xero
07-08-2009, 09:25 AM
http://www.wwe.com/superstars/smackdown/edge/photos1/edge09surgery/

LOL, COME ON! They're gray scaling the surgery pics!?

Nicky Fives
07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I actually like the idea, but it would only work if Edge were away for a month, not until next year.... there is no way the average fan would remember what had happened, and we all know that WWE is not to keen on reminding us of events in the past (i.e. stating that Mysterio has wrestled his entire career with his mask, when many fans will remember the years 1999, 2000 and 2001)

legendkillerRKO
07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
regardless if Jericho still has the titles...Edge can come back and say "he" never lost the titles, that Jericho lost it for him...and still could do an E&C reunion.

Londoner
07-08-2009, 01:38 PM
regardless if Jericho still has the titles...Edge can come back and say "he" never lost the titles, that Jericho lost it for him...and still could do an E&C reunion.

and have an edge v jericho feud for wrestlemania...

RatedGSuperstar
07-08-2009, 03:17 PM
I think it's probably most likely he makes a surprise return as a face at the Royal Rumble and wins it, since he's one of the few established main eventers that hasn't won it yet, and it's virtually the only thing he hasn't "accomplished" in his WWE career.

Mr. C
07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Chris Jericho badmouths Edge for being injured and weak and finds a new partner…Christian! Christian is the one who loses the match, and Jericho beats the crap out of him. They face off at SummerSlam.

This could lead to Christian's return on SmackDown. After Night of Champions, Christian shows up and surprises Jericho on the following SmackDown, saying that he asked Theodore Long to trade a superstar (Rey Mysterio after dropping the Intercontinental title at NOC) to ECW for him so he could get his hands on Jericho. Cue buildup for SS.

Juan
07-08-2009, 04:20 PM
The Miz sounds like a good replacement.

Kane Knight
07-09-2009, 02:37 AM
I suggest a re-enactment of "Old Yeller."

Hey, he's a heel, I'm supposed to hate him, right? [/tardlogic]

Denny Crane.

Legend Killer
07-09-2009, 02:45 AM
Haven't I told this guy to change his name before???

Too confusing.

Lord-Of-Darkness
07-09-2009, 08:42 AM
LOL, COME ON! They're gray scaling the surgery pics!?

To be fair, I think they've always greyscaled surgery pictures on WWE.com, as they are more graphic than a little bleeding.

Juan
07-10-2009, 08:08 PM
source: Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The immediate creative reaction to Edge suffering a torn Achilles tendon at a live event this past Friday was to figure out a way to get the belts on Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase. Over the weekend, those plans changed as they were looking to have Edge make one final appearance on television by giving his Unified WWE Tag Team Championship belt to Dolph Ziggler, and proceed from there. However, it was noted that given how things work in the company, that plan would likely change a dozen times between now and this Monday's television taping in Orlando, when the final decision would likely be announced. At this point, they no longer have plans to make Ziggler Jericho's tag team partner (although that too can change again).

At one point over the weekend, there was talk about keeping the Colons together, editing out Carlito's turn on Primo on this past Monday's taped airing of Raw. However, that idea is off the board because they ended up airing the turn on Raw.

Creative was looking at footage of the SmackDown show taped on 7/1 in Bakersfield, California to see if there was a spot they could point to on this week's episode they could use for the injury. The hope was to find a spot during Edge's run-in during the Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio match, since that would be his last physical appearance. It would appear that they found nothing because on Tuesday, the WWE website acknowledged the injury and the surgery, and listed it as happening in his match with Jeff Hardy match from a leapfrog spot as opposed to trying to create a storyline reason for it.

Edge had been working hurt even before his ladder match with Hardy at last month's Extreme Rules pay-per-view. He noted during a recent radio interview promoting the television taping in Fresno that when he was younger, he was able to recover quickly from those type of matches quickly. He then said he was hurting just walking for a week after the match.

Xero
07-10-2009, 09:30 PM
God no...

St. Jimmy
07-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Hi. My name is OPPERTUNITY.

St. Jimmy
07-11-2009, 01:37 AM
*Knock* IT'S DOLPH ZIGGLER.

DAMN iNATOR
07-11-2009, 01:59 AM
As if Edge and Jericho didn't give off enough of an air of cockiness...:roll:

Mr. Nerfect
07-11-2009, 02:51 AM
Dolph Ziggler makes the most sense storyline-wise. I don't know why Xero hates the idea so much. It set itself up perfectly from the tapings where Ziggler pretty much worked with Edge and Jericho to beat-down Rey Mysterio.

While I think the plan was to do Rey Mysterio vs. Dolph Ziggler for the Intercontinental Title, they could easily just have Mysterio randomly challenged by John Morrison, or something.

Juan
07-11-2009, 02:53 AM
I'm still hoping it will be The Miz

Mr. Nerfect
07-11-2009, 02:53 AM
Keeping Carlito & Primo together could be done pretty easily. I mean, Primo came in talking trash about Carlito. The two men have been shown to bicker on-air. You just turn them into brothers who fight all the time. Have them wrestle each other on RAW, and then have them hug afterwards, and go back to being buddies. It could actually be an entertaining gimmick for them.

Mr. Nerfect
07-11-2009, 02:55 AM
I think The Miz's character is far too "annoying" for Chris Jericho to tolerate. It's all flash, whereas Jericho is all substance these days. I could see a member of The Hart Dynasty making sense, but they're sort of a tag team themselves, you know? Charlie Haas could work, but he's way too low on the card.

James Steele
07-11-2009, 04:56 AM
After the match on SmackDown!, it has to be Ziggler or some big name. I think they could still have Ziggler/Mysterio and have Ziggler do double duty at NoC. If he can shine in 2 matches on a PPV, then their push of him is well-placed and it could be a huge oppurtunity for Dolph Ziggler.

Fox
07-11-2009, 05:23 AM
I cannot get behind the idea of pushing a guy named "Ziggler." I mean, come on.

Fox
07-11-2009, 05:26 AM
I'm thinking Jericho teams up with Big Show. With Cena feuding with Triple H and Orton now, the big man is again left with little to do. Might as well give him a Tag Title run in the meantime and use him to help build the division again. A Jericho/Show tag team could be interesting.

ministrychick77
07-11-2009, 12:13 PM
ziggler?! dear taker no...

anyone but ziggler..

Mr. Nerfect
07-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking Jericho teams up with Big Show. With Cena feuding with Triple H and Orton now, the big man is again left with little to do. Might as well give him a Tag Title run in the meantime and use him to help build the division again. A Jericho/Show tag team could be interesting.

This is one I could actually live with. Big Show's size is enough of a reason for Jericho to choose him as a new tag team partner. They've also pretty much got a match set-up with Evan Bourne and Kofi Kingston for RAW or Superstars sometime.

I'm not getting all this Ziggler hate, though. Has anyone actually been watching his ring work and character development on SmackDown!? The guy is going to be picking up mid-card titles like candy for a while to build a resume, because the WWE wants him to move up.

Jannettyzilla
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I've had an idea for this stuck in my head all day....

Chris Jericho's new partner = Mark Henry.

The way I see it, WWE wants to get Henry over as a face. So, they put him in the match against Legacy (who he's already feuding with) at NOC, building him up as a one-man wrecking crew. Of course, he doesn't mesh with Jericho, which leads to the point in the match where Jericho whaps him with the title belts, and Legacy gets the win (which it seems is what WWE wants). Henry gets back up post-match and gets the upperhand on Jericho, ending any chance they feud (since they're on different shows, and since it would be below Jericho), getting him the face pop WWE wants to get him and setting him up to feud with Legacy in a handicap situation heading into Summerslam, which would again aid his face turn.

Not necessarily what I want to see (though I like the direction they've taken Henry), just something I could see being possible.

Hanso Amore
07-14-2009, 10:13 AM
I've had an idea for this stuck in my head all day....

Chris Jericho's new partner = Mark Henry.

The way I see it, WWE wants to get Henry over as a face. So, they put him in the match against Legacy (who he's already feuding with) at NOC, building him up as a one-man wrecking crew. Of course, he doesn't mesh with Jericho, which leads to the point in the match where Jericho whaps him with the title belts, and Legacy gets the win (which it seems is what WWE wants). Henry gets back up post-match and gets the upperhand on Jericho, ending any chance they feud (since they're on different shows, and since it would be below Jericho), getting him the face pop WWE wants to get him and setting him up to feud with Legacy in a handicap situation heading into Summerslam, which would again aid his face turn.

Not necessarily what I want to see (though I like the direction they've taken Henry), just something I could see being possible.

Good call...could be doing something of the sort.

Mr. Nerfect
07-14-2009, 11:09 AM
The whole concept of Chris Jericho & Partner versus Legacy kind of confuses me -- because you've pretty much got the top heel of SmackDown! facing the top heels of RAW. The WWE often shy away from heel versus heel matches. It would make sense to give Jericho a face partner, so there is at least some emotional attachment for the audience at Night of Champions.

One idea I read suggested that Jericho chooses Rey Mysterio as Edge's replacement. The concept would be that Jericho was trying to "save" Rey, play mind games with him, or keep his enemies closer -- that sort of thing. The only problem with that, is that Mysterio is also currently IC Champion, which would mean that he'd wrestle twice at NOC. But in thinking about that, it could be a large part of why Jericho chooses him. Think of how Shane McMahon helped Kurt Angle get past the semi-finals at the 2001 King of the Ring, just so that Angle would wrestle more matches and be more worn out for later.

#1-norm-fan
07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
You know what I was thinking would be pretty great?

Jericho introduces The Brian Kendrick as his partner. Jericho talks about how Kendrick is exactly what he was talking about by someone who is true and virtuous. How Kendrick was smart enough to turn his back on HBK before HBK could screw him over. How he's taking him under his wing. Ala the Cade storyline execpt with Kendrick being able to speak for himself as well and not be so much of a lackey.

Kendrick then brags about how he told everyone he was going to find THE tag team partner and be a champion and it happened. I was also thinking of a way that they could somehow make TBK responsible for the injury, hinting that he paid off CM Punk to take Edge out. Punk of course denies it and Jeff calls him a sell out despite Punk claiming bullshit. Kinda strengthens both storylines at the same time.

Could also lead to a pretty awesome Edge & HBK vs. Jericho & TBK feud down the road.

Cool King
07-14-2009, 06:16 PM
I actually think that would be awesome if that happened.

Afterlife
07-14-2009, 06:21 PM
I was thinking Kendrick, myself. That could be amazing.

Afterlife
07-14-2009, 06:26 PM
The whole concept of Chris Jericho & Partner versus Legacy kind of confuses me -- because you've pretty much got the top heel of SmackDown! facing the top heels of RAW. The WWE often shy away from heel versus heel matches. It would make sense to give Jericho a face partner, so there is at least some emotional attachment for the audience at Night of Champions.

One idea I read suggested that Jericho chooses Rey Mysterio as Edge's replacement. The concept would be that Jericho was trying to "save" Rey, play mind games with him, or keep his enemies closer -- that sort of thing. The only problem with that, is that Mysterio is also currently IC Champion, which would mean that he'd wrestle twice at NOC. But in thinking about that, it could be a large part of why Jericho chooses him. Think of how Shane McMahon helped Kurt Angle get past the semi-finals at the 2001 King of the Ring, just so that Angle would wrestle more matches and be more worn out for later.

What I find interesting, is that Holly/Rhodes vs. Dibiase/??? became the twist of Holly/Rhodes vs. Dibiase/Rhodes. I"m wondering of Cody might pull the ol' switcheroo on Dibiase now, as Teddy's showing some unreliability in the loyalty department.

Mr. Nerfect
07-14-2009, 07:46 PM
You know what I was thinking would be pretty great?

Jericho introduces The Brian Kendrick as his partner. Jericho talks about how Kendrick is exactly what he was talking about by someone who is true and virtuous. How Kendrick was smart enough to turn his back on HBK before HBK could screw him over. How he's taking him under his wing. Ala the Cade storyline execpt with Kendrick being able to speak for himself as well and not be so much of a lackey.

Kendrick then brags about how he told everyone he was going to find THE tag team partner and be a champion and it happened. I was also thinking of a way that they could somehow make TBK responsible for the injury, hinting that he paid off CM Punk to take Edge out. Punk of course denies it and Jeff calls him a sell out despite Punk claiming bullshit. Kinda strengthens both storylines at the same time.

Could also lead to a pretty awesome Edge & HBK vs. Jericho & TBK feud down the road.

That sounds great in theory, but you've not gotten my hopes up, ready for them to be crushed. :(

#1-norm-fan
07-14-2009, 09:12 PM
Oh they will be.

It was just a thought. I won't be get my hopes up or anything. I think the best case realistic scenario would be The Miz.

parkmania
07-20-2009, 10:42 PM
Hearing that Jeff Hardy apparently has been added to several European dates, and therefore the speculation is that he has re-signed, I though of something (this is assuming that WWE is NOT putting the tag belts on Legacy):

Jeff beats CM Punk for Big Goldy, then Jericho names Punk as his partner. It lets the marks have what they want: Jeff as Champ; and it gives smarks what they want: Punk as a full heel.

Indifferent Clox
07-20-2009, 10:59 PM
probably gonna be punk

Mr. Nerfect
07-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Jericho and Punk together would be cool, and would kind of make sense. CM Punk has got to be feeling the fans are pretty hypocritical right now...

But I'm totally getting the feeling it's going to be Kane. He doesn't have much going on, and it would make sense for Jericho to go after a big star, both figuratively and literally. Coffee incidence aside and everything.