PDA

View Full Version : JTG

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I'm very ambivalent about him. I dislike that he doesn't have a name. I dislike that he appears to be Vince's "nigger joke". But he's got to be one of the most creative guys they have in terms of in-ring maneuvers. When I watch his matches, I want to be like, "This guy is very impressive, I should root for him". But then I see how he dresses, walks and speaks, and I suddenly remember why I hate him.

I'm sure if he were allowed to act like a person, instead of a BET cartoon, I would officially be able to get behind him. But so far, his two-dimensional "character" is keeping me well at bay.

Thoughts?

#1-norm-fan
07-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Maybe his "character" is actually very close to how he acts in real life...

Now who's racist? :nono:

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Then I just can't like him.

DAMN iNATOR
07-12-2009, 03:32 PM
The only thing I really hate about him is his lack of a name, as in what does JTG stand for? Are we supposed to believe that he and Shad Gaspard are related and that the 'G' in JTG is for 'Gaspard'? If so, what the hell is his first and middle names?

That's all I've ever really wondered, and I've always found him quite amusing personally.

CSL
07-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Just That Gangsta

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Just That Gangsta

That's retarded.

4 knuckles up
07-12-2009, 04:25 PM
That's retarded.

If it was, he'd be JTR.

Seth82
07-12-2009, 06:16 PM
I've always kinda liked Cryme Time but yeah the name issue bugs me and they really are a cartoon form of a black wrestler

Christ can you imagine if Vince woulda made Bobo Brazil or Rocky Johnson do that gimmick

Woulda been a war with WWE and the NAACP

Juan
07-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Shouldn't this thread be titled "Cryme Tyme" since they both have the same gimmick?

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Shouldn't this thread be titled "Cryme Tyme" since they both have the same gimmick?

Shad has cliche black guy hair, but he's nowhere near as insulting as JTG. His "Money, money" stuff is grating, I'll give you that. But his speech doesn't always make me wanna take a bath with a toaster. Even his attire is passable as realistic.

Shad = Jeans and a tank top.

JTG = Chappelle Show skit.

Johnny Vegas
07-12-2009, 07:19 PM
Ever think about the fact that he may not have as much creative control over his character as you think. Or that the whole rolling the one pants leg up was back in the 90s and that he probably thinks that shit is corny as hell but the writers/creative team tell him that thats what they want.

Juan
07-12-2009, 07:23 PM
I guess I never looked into it that much because a lot of black people here dress like that. You get used to it

Afterlife
07-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Ever think about the fact that he may not have as much creative control over his character as you think. Or that the whole rolling the one pants leg up was back in the 90s and that he probably thinks that shit is corny as hell but the writers/creative team tell him that thats what they want.

Um...Yes. That's kinda my point.

I guess I never looked into it that much because a lot of black people here dress like that. You get used to it

No...I don't.

#1-norm-fan
07-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I love Cryme Tyme, by the way. I really want to see them win the tag titles at some point before they inevitably disband way before they should.

DAMN iNATOR
07-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I love Cryme Tyme, by the way. I really want to see them win the tag titles at some point before they inevitably disband way before they should.

Don't worry, man. They will.:y:

Hornicane
07-12-2009, 11:06 PM
No...I don't.

That's because we live in Ohio.

Triple Naitch
07-12-2009, 11:16 PM
My mom says there's a lot of white people in Ohio.

Juan
07-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Tell your mom I said hello ;)

Hornicane
07-12-2009, 11:22 PM
My mom says there's a lot of white people in Ohio.

Exactly.

thedamndest
07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Ohio has a nice Somalian population.

Hornicane
07-12-2009, 11:25 PM
Maybe CENTRAL Ohio. If it weren't for National Geographic and news coverage of major pirating events, I don't know that I'd know what a Somalian was.

DAMN iNATOR
07-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Most are law-abiding citizens. Some, however, recently took it upon themselves to be pirates(:y:)...

#1-norm-fan
07-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Don't worry, man. They will.:y:

I have my doubts. :-\

Mr. Nerfect
07-13-2009, 02:05 AM
I still think that both members of Cryme Tyme will have quite a bit of success in the WWE.

DAMN iNATOR
07-13-2009, 02:06 AM
Indeed they will.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 02:14 AM
That's because we live in Ohio.

My oldest brother's wife is black. Her family is not a collage of BET cartoons. They're normal people. JTG, as a persona -- if you can even call it that -- is pretty much a giant insult.

Juan
07-13-2009, 02:18 AM
Like I said, there are people like that all over the country. People who dress like that exist in the real world, not just in WWE and BET. I don't get why it's insult, because you happen not to like that style?

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 02:20 AM
Because it's promoting a negative stereotype, Juan.

Juan
07-13-2009, 02:20 AM
You'd hate it in California.

Juan
07-13-2009, 02:21 AM

Juan
07-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Plus, it's not as though WWE portrays all it's black wrestlers like that. If they did, then I'd agree that it's a negative stereotype.

Mr. Nerfect
07-13-2009, 03:32 AM
The character doesn't really bother me. He seems to be getting more and more outshined by Shad Gaspard each week, but the energy JTG brings with him, I just seem him as a hypo boy from the 'hood. Sure, not every black guy in the world does, or should act like this, but that doesn't mean that JTG can't, or shouldn't.

I'm finding Cryme Tyme to be improving in the ring, and I find their segments with Jesse AKA Jeezy to be quite humourous. I can see them having singles success in much the same sense that Shawn Michaels and Diesel did. JTG has got the energy and fan support to make it despite being a smaller guy, and Shad has got all the tools neccessary to become a World Champion in the WWE one day -- there, I said it.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 12:35 PM
Plus, it's not as though WWE portrays all it's black wrestlers like that. If they did, then I'd agree that it's a negative stereotype.

One guy portraying a negative stereotype is still a negative stereotype.

Kane Knight
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
I always took the Cryme Tyme gimmick as a satirical deal, so it's never bothered me. They're entertaining, however. Unimpressive wrestling skills, but entertaining.

Mooияakeя™
07-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Apart from the skip-hop dance, he just doesn't stand out. In Cryme Time or on his own for the future.

Elijah Burke is triple anything he'll ever be. Fucking VKM.... the nigger hater.

Juan
07-13-2009, 04:24 PM
One guy portraying a negative stereotype is still a negative stereotype.

Do you consider John Cena a negative stereotype?

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 05:36 PM

Not especially. But I also don't consider him good during his matches.

parkmania
07-13-2009, 05:46 PM
So, JTG and Shad are negative stereotypes, but the "Pretty Ricky" thing they had <s>K-Kwik</s> R-Truth doing isn't?

Juan
07-13-2009, 05:54 PM
I still don't see how JTG is a negative stereotype.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 05:59 PM
So, JTG and Shad are negative stereotypes, but the "Pretty Ricky" thing they had <s>K-Kwik</s> R-Truth doing isn't?

I honestly have no idea what that was, yet.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 06:02 PM
I still don't see how JTG is a negative stereotype.

:roll:

Kane Knight
07-13-2009, 08:23 PM

What would he be a negative stereotype of?

Juan
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Wiggers

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Wiggers

Wiggers aren't a stereotype, they're just dumb.

Juan
07-13-2009, 08:28 PM
And people who dress like they came straight out of a Jay-Z music video isn't stereotype either.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 08:40 PM
And people who dress like they came straight out of a Jay-Z music video isn't stereotype either.

Oh, I'd definitely call that a stereotype. Besides, he reminds me more of Kriss Kross than Jay-Z. But then again, I used to laugh at Kriss Kross and never paid any attention at all to Jay-Z.

Juan
07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
You're being incredibly close minded on this one, AL. I just saw a guy dressed like JTG at the liquor store ffs

Juan
07-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Hell, there are even Mexicans out here that dress like that.

Juan
07-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Go to a night club out in San Francisco, 9 out of the 10 black guys there are dressed like JTG.

Juan
07-13-2009, 08:46 PM
I think it just boils down to the fact you don't like that "style." Which is fine, but that doesn't mean it's a negative stereotype.

Kane Knight
07-13-2009, 09:11 PM
Wiggers

the concept of wiggers in and of itself is a stereotype.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I think it just boils down to the fact you don't like that "style." Which is fine, but that doesn't mean it's a negative stereotype.

I'm not sure you're 100% clear on what a stereotype is. They're not things that don't exist. They're things that (unfortunately) exist, and are used to drag down certain groups, thru bigotry. See, the "ignorant black guy that can't talk like an educated adult, dresses like a rapper and steals everything he sees," would be stereotypical. It's a negative but well-known generalization used to insult and degrade black people. Hell, even The Boondocks rips on that nonsense.

And no, I don't like that "style", as I've already said, myself. But moreover, I resent the perpetuated stereotypes of any variety, and this one fits the bill.

Juan
07-13-2009, 09:36 PM

thedamndest
07-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Next you'll be telling me you hate the Repo Man for promoting negative stereotypes towards repo men.

The Pope
07-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Cena doesn't even do the thug gimmick anymore he's just VKM's bitch and ass kisser. He just has his stupid shorts and he pulls his undies up till he wedgies:lol:That's gangsta for cena

The Pope
07-13-2009, 11:15 PM
Jay The Gangsta

The Pope
07-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Yo yo yo it's the black guys.
Gangstas Gangstas yea yea

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Next you'll be telling me you hate the Repo Man for promoting negative stereotypes towards repo men.

I don't recall any stereotypes about reposessors wearing bandit masks. And that's really all I do recall about Repo Man.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 11:29 PM

Now who's racist? :nono:

Then I just can't like him.

Posts two and three. Read the fucking thread, Juan.

Juan
07-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Oh I read it, I just wanted you to admit again that it's more about his style than it being a negative stereotype.

Nark Order
07-13-2009, 11:38 PM
I'd say a good percentage of black people in and around Sacramento actually dress/act like that. It's kind of fucking ridiculous but it is what it is.

Afterlife
07-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh I read it, I just wanted you to admit again that it's more about his style than it being a negative stereotype.

I admit nothing of the sort. He is portraying a negative stereotype, whether in character or in reality. Please try to comprehend that is WHY I can't enjoy him, and thus, the point of the thread.

Nark Order
07-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I don't know. I'd say the only thing really negative about it all is the fact that they steal. If that's what you're arguing Afterlife, I'll jump on board. I don't think that's what you're arguing though. As far as the attire and the attitude goes, turn on MTV or BET and I'm pretty positive you'll see something similar. African Americans are often portraying themselves this way and they do not see it as negative. You do. I'm sure there are some black people that disapprove of the dress and the attitude just as some white people frown down upon certain styles of dress/styles/attitudes from other white people, but that's just society.

Afterlife
07-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I don't know. I'd say the only thing really negative about it all is the fact that they steal. If that's what you're arguing Afterlife, I'll jump on board. I don't think that's what you're arguing though. As far as the attire and the attitude goes, turn on MTV or BET and I'm pretty positive you'll see something similar. They are portraying themselves this way. They do not see it as negative. You do.

Yes, but MTV and BET are awful things. lol The whole "Cryme Tyme" stealing thing, though, as I understand it, is because they're black. They're incredibly cliche 2-dimensional non-characters, cashing in on a stereotype that is negative, whether you think so or not. And I can understanding you not being bothered by it, because it doesn't effect you -- hell, it doesn't really effect me. But as a writer and an entertainer, it drives me up the wall to see the same rehashed no-thought garbage again and again, and now it's on the only show I really remember to watch.

It promotes ignorance and theivery, and it's all based around skin color. They're basically the Wayans Brothers of the WWE.

DAMN iNATOR
07-14-2009, 02:18 AM
the concept of wiggers in and of itself is a stereotype.

So, you've never seen a white person try to be or act like they are, black? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Nark Order
07-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Right. But we've all seen black people act the way JTG does also. DAMNinator, get with it here. You're like 30 posts behind the conversation.

DAMN iNATOR
07-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Yes, but MTV and BET are awful things. lol The whole "Cryme Tyme" stealing thing, though, as I understand it, is because they're black. They're incredibly cliche 2-dimensional non-characters, cashing in on a stereotype that is negative, whether you think so or not. And I can understanding you not being bothered by it, because it doesn't effect you -- hell, it doesn't really effect me. But as a writer and an entertainer, it drives me up the wall to see the same rehashed no-thought garbage again and again, and now it's on the only show I really remember to watch.

It promotes ignorance and theivery, and it's all based around skin color. They're basically the Wayans Brothers of the WWE.

All I can say is the reason I enjoy them so much, like others on this very board, and the home viewers, is that it's all done a parodical manner, and I doubt there's that many impressionable young people who are going to watch Cryme Tyme's segments on TV and want to grow up to be thieves. It just doesn't happen.

Kane Knight
07-14-2009, 11:33 AM
I don't recall any stereotypes about reposessors wearing bandit masks. And that's really all I do recall about Repo Man.

Give him a break. Do you know how hard it is to defend a bigoted standpoint while pretending to nto be bigoted yourself?

Kane Knight
07-14-2009, 11:34 AM
So, you've never seen a white person try to be or act like they are, black? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I'm impressed by the heroic efforts you went to to miss my point.

thedamndest
07-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Give him a break. Do you know how hard it is to defend a bigoted standpoint while pretending to nto be bigoted yourself?

I guess you can't make a Repo Man joke without being a bigot nowadays.

Kane Knight
07-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I guess you can't make a Repo Man joke without being a bigot nowadays.

I demand you apologise.

thedamndest
07-14-2009, 04:01 PM
I haven't apologized to anyone for anything since 1995. I'll be damned if I start here.

Nark Order
07-14-2009, 04:13 PM
It sounds like you already started back in 1995 though.

Darc
07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
There are points on both sides of the argument. It IS a negative stereotype but at the same time, people do actually act like that in real life so it's a believable gimmick. Let's face it, this isn't the first stereotype that has been in WWE. Remember that "White is right" thing that Chavo Guerrero did? In a way that was sort of a stereotype of middle and upper class white Americans.

k. you missed the point KK was trying to make though.

Afterlife
07-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Except Kerwin White was about Chavo ditching his heritage and pretending to be something he's not, as some kind of deluded, sycophantic self-loathing racist.

Rico would be a better example of a real stereotype, though they admittedly made him over the top during his face turn, which made it easier to take; it was harder to tell, then, if he was really GAY gay or just fucking with people.

#1-norm-fan
07-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Except Kerwin White was about Chavo ditching his heritage and pretending to be something he's not, as some kind of deluded, sycophantic self-loathing racist.

So are you defending that? That "except" makes it seem like you are. And if you are calling JTG dressing a certain way racist yet have no problem with a guy who says "If it ain't white, it ain't right."... well then I just don't know if this topic can continue. lol

Afterlife
07-15-2009, 08:16 PM
So are you defending that? That "except" makes it seem like you are. And if you are calling JTG dressing a certain way racist yet have no problem with a guy who says "If it ain't white, it ain't right."... well then I just don't know if this topic can continue. lol

I'm not necessarily calling JTG, himself, a racist character. His "silly white boy" comments aside, he's never made any remarks or gestures -- at least that I recall -- of an offensive race-based manner. I'm just saying it's a blatantly stereotypical role that he's filling.

Kerwin White's catchphrase was only "indirectly racist". By that, I mean that he was saying "White" in regards to his name, even though we all knew what it really meant. But his character was vastly different from JTG's, because it was blatantly about wanting to be the "superior color". That's my phraseology, of course, but that's really what it was. That's what made him so despicable. It's not stereotypical, was why I said "except".