PDA

View Full Version : I need some hot guitar based funk

The Mask
04-02-2004, 06:57 AM
say chilli peppers and I will kill you.

stuff like infectious grooves or something.

I dunno, just anything :rant:

Mr. Monday Morning
04-02-2004, 07:12 AM
Never listened to them but I've been told to put down a band called Qwiksand. They have a song called Superfunk so I would guess that's sort of in the right direction :o

The Destroyer
04-02-2004, 07:20 AM
The only song I can think of was one you sent me. :(

Kane Knight
04-02-2004, 01:03 PM
Chil Peppers. :shifty:

asphyXy
04-02-2004, 04:59 PM
<font color=969696>Ephel Duath.</font>

The Mask
04-02-2004, 09:32 PM
ephel duath aren't funk you liar :rant:

but they're good :'(

Funky Fly
04-02-2004, 09:49 PM
ephel duath aren't funk you liar :rant:

but they're good :'(
d/l these songs:

Gnappy - Purple Cadillac
James Brown - The Boss
Stevie Wonder - Superstitious

They aren't hat you're looking for, per se, but they are good shit.

The Mask
04-02-2004, 10:07 PM
you already sent me them all :$

Joeleosis
04-03-2004, 05:34 AM
Most funk already uses guitars. The upward strum combined with 16th note-based funk rhythms is usually present in funk music. But it's usually not dominantly presented as keyboards, percussion and bass guitar. Kool & The Gang - Let's Go Dancing has a pretty cool riff in it, but again, it's subtle. In funk, guitar is usually combined with effects processing, or previously said style of riffing. Brothers Johnson - Get The Funk Out Of My Face has a weird guitar groove going along with the bassline. But the most guitar presence I can find in my funk inventory is as follows....

Rufus - Tell Me Something Good
Lipps Inc - Funkytown (:love: @ chorus riff)
Average White Band - Cut The Cake
James Brown - Sex Machine
A Taste Of Honey - Boogie Oogie Oogie (I mention this one purely because the drum & bass doesn't carry as heavy a groove as much funk, so the guitar stands out better... plus there's a short guitar solo)

I hope my love for funk has helped somewhat. If you're looking for funk fusions where the guitar is more than a background instrument... well not very versed in that area. :meh: Mudvayne, Electric 6, Static-X, RATM, and Ministry are all bands that I often find following the funk protocol... but I don't think you're fond of those bands.

Krow
04-03-2004, 10:05 PM
What would you classify Mofro as, really?

The Pimps are good, too. They're not as directly funky, though.