PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Pro Wrestler's Union?

Jordan
07-13-2009, 12:41 PM
This idea has been expressed by a lot of different people in the wrestling business for years now, a wrestling union would help keep the performers healthy and safe. However, I have to throw my two cents in on this quickly.

I am an independent contractor and I don't have medical (If I choose to buy it myself) insurance nor any guaranteed income usually. However that is part of being an independent contractor, it's up to you to take care of all that other stuff. You usually get paid a certain amount of money for a certain amount of time. Some wrestlers sing contracts with companies per match, they get paid for the match and any injuries they accrue they can pay for themselves or use that money to buy medial insurance or whatever. I think most wrestlers are really bad with money and probably not all that smart when it comes to the idea of saving it.

CSL
07-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Guys working for Vince are not independent contractors

FourFifty
07-13-2009, 01:19 PM
The industry changes on Vince's plans. There will not be a union until Vince McMahon wants a union. Which is never because that means he can't fire people on a whim.

What Would Kevin Do?
07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Guys working for Vince are not independent contractors

According to Vince they are...

Indifferent Clox
07-13-2009, 02:26 PM
How is the public option going to effect pro wrestlers, if at all?

Hanso Amore
07-13-2009, 02:55 PM
They can form a union...but the WWE isnt a union shop, and you joining will blacklist you forever.

IC Champion
07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Wrestling definetley needs a union.

Hanso Amore
07-13-2009, 04:38 PM
They had one.

UPYORS

parkmania
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
When you sign a "exclusivity" contract, you are no longer (or at least shouldn't be) considered an "independent contractor."

My wife goes through the same thing with her job with the U.S. Post Office. The reason it's still the way it is is that noone can afford to fight the govenrnment in court.

Probably the same way Vince gets away with it.

What Would Kevin Do?
07-14-2009, 10:46 AM
When you sign a "exclusivity" contract, you are no longer (or at least shouldn't be) considered an "independent contractor."

My wife goes through the same thing with her job with the U.S. Post Office. The reason it's still the way it is is that noone can afford to fight the govenrnment in court.

You're right, they shouldn't be, but they are. I can't think of what it was, but there was a huge thread about this awhile back. Basically, by calling them independent contractors, Vince can avoid having to give them certain things, and I think there are tax repercussions too...

I think the initial thread was about Scott Levy trying to sue them...

Kane Knight
07-14-2009, 11:28 AM

That's not entirely true. And the "entirely" part is how WWE gets around it.

Kane Knight
07-14-2009, 11:31 AM
You're right, they shouldn't be, but they are. I can't think of what it was, but there was a huge thread about this awhile back. Basically, by calling them independent contractors, Vince can avoid having to give them certain things, and I think there are tax repercussions too...

I think the initial thread was about Scott Levy trying to sue them...

there's been like 90 of those threads.

But thanks for reminding me about the lulz of the "Raven's a genius, of course he'll win!" shit everyone was trumpeting in that thread.

What Would Kevin Do?
07-14-2009, 01:58 PM
KK, I think you're forgetting that Raven has an IQ of 1 trillion. In fact, he already won, the rest of us are so slow we just haven't realized it yet...

IC Champion
07-14-2009, 02:42 PM
Oh, Raven did all kinds of drugs and let himself go at his peak, can't be too smart...