PDA

View Full Version : could TNA win by getting sleazy?

The MAC
07-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Lets rewind to the monday night wars:

Vince figured out that the way to beat WCW was to make RAW raunchier, sexier and bordering on obscenity. WCW had to stay PG and it lost in the ratings. Getting dirty obviously worked.

Now WWE has new PG guidelines and need to remain clean. My question is : Could TNA get slutty and dirty and beat WWE the way WWE beat WCW?

The Mackem
07-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Oh good The MAC is back.

Volare
07-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Easy, just show off more Love and Sky...that otta do it. Hell, make them lesbians while Russo is at it.

Hanso Amore
07-17-2009, 09:37 AM
They should do an invasion angle with Carmen Elektras sexy wrestling shit....ratings

Rammsteinmad
07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
In theory it should work, but then the attitude era was ten years ago and times have changed since then. I suppose it wouldn't hurt for TNA to try something like that though to further distinguish them as an alternative to WWE.

The Mackem
07-17-2009, 10:20 AM
If they want to sex it up they need to get rid of their 40-50 year old wrestlers. Nobody likes to see old men hanging round with young chicks...unless it's Ron Jeremy.

Hanso Amore
07-17-2009, 10:38 AM
Honestly thought, for a fan flipping through the channels, with no idea who TNA is, they are more likely to stop to watch Nash and Angle than the MCMG.

TNA needs to cut back on those names though, they are too many. Drop 3D, drop Jarrett off TV, retire Sting, and they are better off.

They also need to get the X and tag divisions going hot again. And new announcers are a must.

Gertner
07-17-2009, 10:47 AM
just have sky and love bang each other with strap ons for an hour

kareru
07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
just have sky and love bang each other with strap ons for an hour

STRAP ON MATCH

FourFifty
07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
I wonder what they can do with the strap ons at lock down :naughty:

The Pope
07-17-2009, 12:28 PM
And thrown madison rayne in just to make a threesome

kareru
07-17-2009, 12:31 PM
i agree because with the pg wwe its really getting on my nerves, i feel like im watching the wiggles every monday night and then some other times its like im watching regular wwf, example

thay have decided that no-one will blade and have since censored all of the blood from old ppvs

but then on moday night, they had a bikini tag match

its like wwe are going through puberty

but i agree with makem and hanso get rid of some of the old guys and push the tag team and x division back where it belongs, and a strapon match with love and sky sound like something i would pay alot of money to see

Dorkchop
07-17-2009, 01:19 PM
just have Daffney and Tar bang each other with strap ons for an hour

kareru
07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
daffney = ratings

The Pope
07-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I like Tna

#1-norm-fan
07-17-2009, 01:41 PM
It wouldn't hurt. But you would still need good writing. Without that, any discussions like this are pretty pointless.

CSL
07-17-2009, 01:45 PM
They wouldn't 'win' but it could definitely make them stand out a bit more, at least until Vince changes his mind again

Nicky Fives
07-17-2009, 04:21 PM
It could happen..... but not as quickly as many TNA fans would hope....

Sixx
07-17-2009, 04:32 PM
50+ year old guys in spandex can make money after all, even though it is disgusting. Check out KISS.

Dorkchop
07-17-2009, 04:40 PM
TNA would need good booking and better story lines to win. WWE got pretty sleazy for a while, but the booking and writing was also top notch. Didn't WCW get more sleazy around the time Russo took over which was around the time WCW became shite? WCW was more family friendly than WWF during the Attitude era, but I did notice an increase in sleaze.

Fox
07-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Saying that WWF beat WCW because they got "sleazy" is ignorant, because it ignores the fact that they got big due to Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon, i.e. a great storyline. Yeah, Austin drank beer, beat up Santa, gave everyone the finger, etc. Yeah, Sable was walking around half-naked most of the time. But the reason business picked up in the WWF was because of a great conflict/story that people wanted to watch every week.

Going "sleazy" means nothing if there's no motivation. It might work for a few weeks, maybe even a month, but without a core storyline, it won't last.

Fox
07-17-2009, 04:59 PM
You also ignore the way WCW got big in 1996. It wasn't because they had half naked women or extreme violence and blood, or even lots of cursing and middle fingers. It was because of NEW WORLD ORDER vs. WCW.

The Pope
07-18-2009, 12:52 AM
did you say Main event mafia vs TNA

JT
07-18-2009, 01:42 AM
With anything, you need something that will attract people, then something else to keep bringing them back.

In the past, TNA got attention for their 2 hour show, Kurt Angle, and etc...but in the end the shows were still crap. I'm pretty much repeating what a few others said here, but you need more than "attitude" to attract people...you need the emotional involvement of the audience to keep coming back.

DAMN iNATOR
07-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah there's no way in hell Total Nonstop Senior Assisted Care Wrestling will ever be able to win against WWE. They will be second-rate until the time when they can no longer continue due to lack of interest from the fans, which will be due to lack of interest in wanting to see 60-70 year old guys in "Walker on a pole" matches...

Haze
07-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I would have to agree with the idea that TNA will never beat WWE, but I have been watching TNA a lot more recently than I have in the past. They are making some good moves as far as story lines go, but in the end, it is still a massive clusterfuck.

Volare
07-18-2009, 12:29 PM
I think just by hearing discussions of TNA here on TPWW, I have come to a conclusion.

We care about this...
http://www.wrestlescoop.com/wwe_divas/velvet_sky/09.jpg

And nothing more.

Haze
07-18-2009, 12:36 PM
I would have to argue, and point out.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w264/Anarchychampionshipwrestling/Daffney1.jpg

I'm not even into the goth look, and I think she is smokin'.

Volare
07-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Yes, I totally forgot about Daffney. I am ashamed.

Kane Knight
07-18-2009, 12:50 PM
I would have to argue, and point out.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w264/Anarchychampionshipwrestling/Daffney1.jpg

I'm not even into the goth look, and I think she is smokin'.

Not bad for someone who would turn Hanso on.

DAMN iNATOR
07-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Not bad for someone who would turn Hanso on.

When she does that lame psycho shit on television, though, I dunno, the whole makeup thing and how she dresses, just don't really do anything for me. I guess it could be the whole way of how they try to portray her when she does that gimmick. Although, I also kind of had the same problem with actually giving a rat's ass about Ariel in ECW (Kevin Thorne's girlfriend).

McLegend
07-19-2009, 02:13 AM
Isn't TNA all ready sleazy?

Ruien
07-19-2009, 05:59 AM
TNA is going to start beating Smackdown! ratings soon.

Volare
07-19-2009, 07:00 AM
No chance in hell, TNA will never beat Smackdown. Not with the way it's showing actual wrestling instead of 2/3 of the show being random storyline skits.

DeathValleyBarry
07-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Hell, if it worked for WWE during the Monday night wars, why wouldn't it work for TNA right now. Bottom line..... history COULD repeat itself.

kareru
07-19-2009, 10:53 AM
TNA Impact on 7/9 drew a final 1.2 cable rating (rounded up from a 1.17) with 1.7 million viewers. The show did a 0.84 in males 18-34 and 1.04 in males 35-49.

WWE Superstars on 7/9 drew a final 0.8 cable rating.

ECW on SyFy on 7/9 drew a final 0.7 cable rating. The show was out of its normal timeslot.

WWE Monday Night Raw on 7/6 drew a final 3.6 cable rating with 5.15 million viewers.

WWE Friday Night Smackdown on 7/3 drew a final 1.6 broadcast rating with 2.61 million viewers.

it will take tna a while to catch up with raw, but dixie carter said the next step is to beat smackdown and it is totally possible

Volare
07-19-2009, 11:43 AM
The only disadvantage for WWE is that Smackdown is on Friday nights, when most people are out, except for kids of course. Impact is on Thursday nights, when most people are home.

Kane Knight
07-19-2009, 11:58 AM
TNA Impact on 7/9 drew a final 1.2 cable rating (rounded up from a 1.17) with 1.7 million viewers. The show did a 0.84 in males 18-34 and 1.04 in males 35-49.

WWE Superstars on 7/9 drew a final 0.8 cable rating.

ECW on SyFy on 7/9 drew a final 0.7 cable rating. The show was out of its normal timeslot.

WWE Monday Night Raw on 7/6 drew a final 3.6 cable rating with 5.15 million viewers.

WWE Friday Night Smackdown on 7/3 drew a final 1.6 broadcast rating with 2.61 million viewers.

it will take tna a while to catch up with raw, but dixie carter said the next step is to beat smackdown and it is totally possible

Even if those numbers were true, Volare's right. Smackdown's doing good considering it's a bad night. Impact is doing poorly (by comparison to WWE) considering it's a much better night. It's totally possible, but not totally likely. TNA's been drawing similar numbers for ages now.

kareru
07-19-2009, 12:01 PM
everyone cool goes out on a Wednesday night, everyone knows that

Kane Knight
07-19-2009, 12:05 PM
everyone cool goes out on a Wednesday night, everyone knows that

Wednesday's pity night. Though you not knowing explains a lot. ;)

Gerard
07-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Isn't TNA all ready sleazy?

You're clearly mixing up "sleazy" with "shitty".

:shifty:

kareru
07-19-2009, 12:41 PM
http://www.fallencelebrities.com/wp-content/gallery/tna-knockout-daffney/daffney.png

more daffney, more ratings, what part of that formula do tna not get?

DrA
07-19-2009, 12:56 PM
TNA couldn't even get ratings if they got Kevin Bacon to show up for a few shows.

kareru
07-19-2009, 01:02 PM
also lauren brooke has been looking really hot lately, i know she has always looked hot, but especially lately, i think she is really good as an interviewer but if only she would stop looking so disgusted with the wrestlers, have you ever noticed that when the wrestlers are doing their promos she looks like they just farted and shes going 'ewww ewww' athough saying that i wish they would bring back scott hudson, i fucking love that guy or at least bring him back to replace don 'mark madden' west

http://www.theofficiallaurenbrooke.com/graphics/photos/swim5_lg.jpg
http://www.theofficiallaurenbrooke.com/graphics/photos/lifestyle21_lg.jpg
http://www.theofficiallaurenbrooke.com/graphics/photos/swim10_lg.jpg
http://www.theofficiallaurenbrooke.com/graphics/photos/lifestyle4_lg.jpg
http://tnawrestlingphotos.com/tna-knockouts/lauren/image/650/IMG_9186.jpg
http://tnawrestlingphotos.com/tna-knockouts/lauren/image/650/IMG_0282.jpg

kareru
07-19-2009, 01:08 PM
TNA couldn't even get ratings if they got Kevin Bacon to show up for a few shows.

maybe vince russo can turn tna into a christian wrestling promotion just like 'ring of glory'

oh yes it did happen vince russo started an evangelical christian wrestling promotion called 'Ring of Glory'

now you wonder why tna can book very well and cant get any ratings

midLfinger
07-21-2009, 02:27 AM
In my opinion, it's all about 'pushing the envelope.'

I think a common misconception is that WWF went 'sleazy' and won the MNW. It, I feel, is less about that and more about 'pushing the envelope' in an intriguing way.

Sure, WWF had plenty of T and A, foul language, drug reference and violence (aside from actual matches) but this was WWF pushing the envelope of what they had to work with. It worked. Even Austin/McMahon is an example of this. Austin was necessary because he was bad ass enough to confront the boss. The story was a simple one but taken to its limits by an out of this world asshole boss and the toughest SOB employee.

WCW did the same with the nWo. It pushed being a heel to its limits. What if the heel was such a force that it destroyed all the faces?

ECW was so great because they had talent and pushed the matches and in-ring wrestling to the limit while also being able to turn around and take storylines to unheard of levels like Taz and Sabu not making contact for a year or RVD holding the TV Title forever.

TNA has to find something they're really good at and make that the centerpiece and push it to it's extremes. They had it with the X-Division but that's fizzled. They had it with Joe but because of their inability to commit to him it has also fizzled.