PDA

View Full Version : Gimmick matches

The Icon of Elisim
04-02-2004, 04:14 PM
So list some gimmick matches that haven't been done in a while but you want to see

I always enjoyed strap matches where two guys were tied together (preferably at the wrist, dog collar matches were just weird for some reason), I thought the spots and the story told were pretty entertaining.

BigDaddyCool
04-02-2004, 04:15 PM
I always liked real cage matches, you know the ones you had to escape from the cage, not just a stupid match that happens to be in a cage.

MVP
04-02-2004, 04:33 PM
White Castle of Fear match
Caribbean Strap Match
Bunkhouse Match
War Games
Casket Match
I Quit Match (A real one, not like Vince vs. Steph)
Blue Cage match
Falls Count Anywhere
Lumberjack Match

Stickman
04-02-2004, 05:18 PM
War games was the double ring cage match right?

I remember seeing a three ring battle royal, that was pretty cool.

Shaggy
04-02-2004, 05:26 PM
World War 3 (WCW's 3 ring battle royal)
The Triple Cage (from Ready To Rumble)
Real cage matches
Casket Match
War Games
Hardcore Matches (like the old days when the hardcore title began. Those were great matches.)

Funky Fly
04-02-2004, 05:39 PM
5 count pin mathes. Big Show should start doing those to establish dominance.

Funky Fly
04-02-2004, 05:41 PM
Real Cruiserweight matches.
4 way matches

Sensei Of Mattitude
04-02-2004, 08:24 PM
NO DOUBT:

War Games: what was better than War Games? Not much.

Chambers of Horrors Match from WCW Halloween Havoc 1991 between Sting, Rick and Scott Steiner and El Gigante vs Big Van Vader, Cactus Jack, The Diamond Studd (Scott Hall) and Abudullah the Butcher. Crazy ass match where the idea was to put your opponent in the electric chair and light them up. It was crazy, I would love to see it come back at No Mercy or Survivor Series.

Real WCW Cruiserweight Matches were the best. I remember 1999 Spring Stampede... Juvi vs Blitzgrieg, was one of the best matches on the card and it was a winner gets shot at CW Title tomorrow night on Nitro matches. It was off the hook.

BattleBowl (WCW: 1992, 1993)
- BattleBowl was the roster of wrestlers in a lottery and they were teamed up "by chance". There were 8 tag team matches between random partners vs random partners and the winners of the Tag Team Matches were entered into a BattleBowl Battle Royal at the end of the night (everyone for themselves) and the winner of the Battle Royal won BattleBowl and was considered a high contender.

You know, when I think about it, WCW had some amazing gimmick matches.

Casket Match:
- Who wouldn't want to see this return and now with the Hybrid Undertaker, I could see it coming back a few times. Taker vs Booker or Big Show or anyone else. Good stuff. To make Kane look tougher and maybe challange the Undertaker in the future and maybe put the Undertaker out to pasture should start doing casket matches and try to bury the competition. A real huge HEEL run.

Thats what Im thinking.

Rock Bottom
04-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Survivor Series matches. But they are only really cool anymore when something big as at stake. Like WWE vs. The Alliance, that was good.

Mikey
04-02-2004, 09:02 PM
5 count pin mathes. Big Show should start doing those to establish dominance.

King Kong Bundy was the man. I remember when he did those :D

Mikey
04-02-2004, 09:04 PM

What the hell is a White Castle of Fear match? I thought it was a joke. Like to promote White Castle or something

MVP
04-02-2004, 11:16 PM
What the hell is a White Castle of Fear match? I thought it was a joke. Like to promote White Castle or somethingThe infamous White Castle of Fear strap match at Superbrawl III.

Sting vs. Vader.

I probably shouldn't have even bothered with that one though.

ColdwaVer
04-02-2004, 11:21 PM
I'd love to see them do some more triple cage matches, only for God's sake, make them something interesting. Both the ones I saw in WCW had crap endings.

I'd also love to see another Elimination Chamber without HHH.

The Show Off
04-02-2004, 11:23 PM
The infamous White Castle of Fear strap match at Superbrawl III.

Sting vs. Vader.

I probably shouldn't have even bothered with that one though.

That's one of my favorite matches ever.

What Would Kevin Do?
04-02-2004, 11:28 PM

Not possible anymore... White Castle is just to scary.

ilt_undertaker
04-02-2004, 11:43 PM
<font color=Silver>War games, Triple cage and inferno matches. And a Lumber jack match too</font>

Wondermouse
04-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Anyone remember the Midsouth match between DiBiase and Duggan? If I'm remembering the match right, it was five gimmick matches in one. Coal Miner's glove and tuxedo are the only gimmicks I remember, though.

Mr. JL
04-03-2004, 01:22 AM
King of the Road Match!!! :shifty:

EazyMack
04-03-2004, 01:36 AM
War Games!

Innovator
04-03-2004, 02:52 AM
Double Jeopardy Match

Stairway to Hell

Scaffolding Match

Real cage matches

and who can forget Judy Bagwell on a Pole

Nowhere Man
04-03-2004, 03:26 AM
-An actual "I Quit" match. Neither of the ones WWE has done had a legit ending, and the most recent one (Vince/Steph) was not only one of the most godawful and heatless matches in recent memory, but also just went from being an I Quit match to a Towel match for no reason.

-Like half of the other people said, real cruiser matches. I mean, if they're going to have Rey vs Chavo and/or Tajiri forty billion times, at least make it so that we can enjoy it.

-Texas Death Matches are pretty much a thing of the past now. Kinda sad; you think "Death Match" now, and you'll probably think of guys smashing light tubes over their heads or Mick Foley getting crotched on barbed wire. But I guess since the Texas Death Match is essentially the same thing as Last Man Standing, I can see why it's getting phased out.

-Retirement Matches where the loser actually stayed retired, or at the very least waited more than three weeks to come back. Honestly, I'm not even sure if that's ever happened in wrestling history.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I always liked the pinfall cage matches better than the "let's see who can climb faster" cage matches. Especially when the participants would spend half an hour trying to climb over the top instead of just going for the door right off the bat. I'm a complete mark for both kinds of cage matches, but I always liked the pinfall version better.

Wondermouse
04-03-2004, 10:53 AM
Tornado Tag matches.

HHHsucks929
04-03-2004, 12:33 PM
King of the Road Match!!! :shifty:

What about a 2-on-8 Doomsday Cage Match? :shifty:

Stickman
04-03-2004, 01:12 PM
You know what match I liked at the time because I was a youngin', Nailz vs Big Bossman Nightstick on a pole match. Now, I think pole matches are without a doubt, really really lame.

Did you ever notice that besides this past WM, the underdogs in handicap matches always win? I'd like to see a 2 on 1 match where the team with 2 wins.

tucsonspeed6
04-03-2004, 01:13 PM
King of the Ring. Not really a gimmick match, I know, but I still miss it.

Moongoose Mcqueen
04-03-2004, 01:32 PM
Hopefully the upcoming Backlash title match will indeed be a ladder match. It'll make the rematch fresh and it should be awsome with 3 different varietys of wrestlers. I'll bet it will be amazing as long as HHH doesn't win...
Maybe with Taker back we can see a casket match, maybe another inferno match, or a respectable hell in a cell. With Benoit as champ maybe we could see an I Quit match somewhere too.
This years survivor series matches were awsome, especially team austin vs. team bischoff, cuz like Rock Bottom said, it meant something and had main eventers in it.

The Ravishing One
04-03-2004, 03:12 PM
I like the old school Survivor Series match ups.

I liked the idea that year when the winners went into the final match

:y: thumbs up Vince

Frank Grimes Jnr
04-03-2004, 11:56 PM
War games was always entertaining.

I can always mark out for a good strap match. Good example is Buff Bagwell VS Scoty Riggs at Uncensored. I think it was in 97. That was a great match.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-04-2004, 12:05 AM
ECW style three ways.
Submission matches.

Xero
04-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Triple Tir Cage - The only one I remember I saw was the one with Arquette (The one on a WCW PPV, not the movie)... I know I saw another one though and loved it...

Casket - Bring back the Double wide, double deep casket :D! (Without the damn DX spraypaint on it :mad: )

Scaffold matches - Dangerous, yet entertaining...

Tables Matches - Lets see a GOOD one for once... The last good one I can remember was the FIRST one between the Hardys and Dudleys... (Im sure there were more, but this one comes to mind)

I Quit - Like the one from WM13...

Street Fights - I wish they would do a real street fight agian, one where the weapons were either already around the ring or the partisipints brought them... Going under the ring makes no sence when your basicly SUPPOSED to use them...

Hardcore - Bring back the kind where they went EVERYWHERE, including outside the building... I remember one w/ Hardcore Holly (At a Backlash I think) that was great...

Inferno - :drool:

Im sure I can think of more, just cant right now...

Hardkore Kidd J
04-04-2004, 07:05 PM
1. War Games[never seen it But, I've heard good things]

2. An actual Cage match

3. I would have said a real crusierweight match[ correct me if I'm wrong but, did that WM 20 crusierweight match count as a real Cruiser match. To me it was because maybe my opinion is biased since I've never seen WCW or NWA but, that imo was a real good cruiserweight match for the WWE] SO, I'd say um................. Casket match

4. I was waiting for a topic like this cause I really miss the Boiler room matches so there we go Boiler room match.

5. Actual Hardcore matches[ Hardcore Title 24-7 that is the shit]

6. Actual Good I quit matches.

7. LMS matches

8. Inferno biatch. :)

I know I am missing out alot of Good matches that ECW/WCW have put on so if anybody has any reccomendations of PPV"S with good matches please be my buest to pm them to me E-mail them to me whatever.

Stickman
04-05-2004, 01:39 AM
A tag team barbed-wire, flaming bat, glass tube, cage, chainsaw, pirranah, pool cue in a sock match. That'd rock man........