PDA

View Full Version : I don't watch much wresting and all but.. question

SammyG
08-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Why is John Morrison not the champ or anything? I understand the whole draw thing, but at least give him a main event spot, maybe a short title reign. Dude is probably the best athlete in wrestling, him and Shelton Benjamin. Has he ever received a title shot or anything?

Anybody Thrilla
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Yes he has received a title shot and he'll have more in the future. Any other questions?

Londoner
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Way too early, but is getting a main event push i think. too many wrestlers get pushed too quickly these days.

Gertner
08-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I hate his milktoast promo's. Should have kept those.

IC Champion
08-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Ummm, he's not ready?

GD
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
He is lacking ppv exposure just like Evan, Benjamin and Carlito. At the moment i.e

SammyG
08-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Yeah and I've seen a couple matches of that Evan Bourne guy. He is fucking nuts too.

I guess I just don't like the fact that the best athletes in the business aren't the ones wearing the belts.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Can't wait til they fuck him over and put him on RAW so he can become the most talented jobber in the company.

Anybody Thrilla
You should look for a match with John Morrison and Evan Bourne from the day after the draft. Televised MOTY, easily.

Anyway, you should know that it's about more than athleticism.

Ol Dirty Dastard
And then they'll fire him because he "couldn't hang with the big boys"

GD
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Can't wait til they fuck him over and put him on RAW so he can become the most talented jobber in the company.

Johnny Nitro was a full fledged main event jobber back on Raw.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-10-2009, 04:15 PM
It is everyone's goal in their career to be Eric Bischoff's lackey.

Anybody Thrilla
08-10-2009, 04:25 PM
He had some Intercontinental and Tag title reigns before he even became Morrison. I think he's being handled about as well as he can in terms of his build. Not really sure what the problem is here.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-10-2009, 04:31 PM
He had some Intercontinental and Tag title reigns before he even became Morrison. I think he's being handled about as well as he can in terms of his build. Not really sure what the problem is here.

He's been handled decently there's no doubt, but once RAW gets a hold of him, I dunno... we'll see what happens.

GD
08-10-2009, 04:57 PM
He never defeated Cena on Raw. Cena even made him tap out on ECW after he became the ECW World Heavyweight Champion.

Testicle
08-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Because you shouldn't make someone champion that isn't goning to draw, remember, Morrison is much more popular among the IWC than the average WWE auidence.

Anybody Thrilla
08-10-2009, 05:01 PM
You say that as if a ton of people have defeated Cena.

GD
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
What I am saying is that he jobbed to Cena even though he was the World Champion on ECW.

Anybody Thrilla
08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
That is not shocking. What is your point?

Anybody Thrilla
08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Also, wasn't Cena a champ in that match too?

GD
08-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Yes he was. But that was so embarassing, the way the match ended.

Anybody Thrilla
08-10-2009, 05:13 PM
*sigh*

Stop it, Daway.

GD
08-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Never mind ABT. Now this is getting embarrassing.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-10-2009, 05:25 PM
He's getting pretty over with the crowd. I just hope he stays on Smackdown.

GD
08-10-2009, 05:26 PM
:y: I agree.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
But also you can't really complain about him jobbing to Danny Tanner, everybody does it, even HHH.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-10-2009, 05:41 PM
You pretty much just have to ignore any Cena feud from here on in until he turns heel.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Danny Tanner feud*

mike adamle
08-10-2009, 05:49 PM
He never defeated Cena on Raw. Cena even made him tap out on ECW after he became the ECW World Heavyweight Champion.

Well, that was the ECW right after it was announced Chris Benoit killed himself/family, they had to send the crowd home happy IMO, and since Cena is the ultimate face and Morrison/Nitro was the heel, there you go.

DAMN iNATOR
08-10-2009, 05:51 PM
But also you can't really complain about him jobbing to Danny Tanner, everybody does it, even HHH.

CENA WINS.:shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
08-11-2009, 03:45 AM
John Morrison is pure awesome in a shell of awesome.

DAMN iNATOR
08-11-2009, 03:59 AM
John Morrison is pure awesome in a shell of awesome.

He melts in the ladies' mouths and hands.:naughty::shifty:

Mr. Nerfect
08-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Honestly, I can't think of anything that Morrison can accomplish before he becomes a World Champion.

DAMN iNATOR
08-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Only thing I can think of is to have him build a little bit more credibility on the SD! main event scene...I mean sure he's got some impressive wins over Jericho, Punk and Jeff, but he could use a few more wins against the top competition before his big title push finally comes to fruition.

Sixx
08-11-2009, 08:22 AM
What I am saying is that he jobbed to Cena even though he was the World Champion on ECW.

Fortunately Kevin Federline avenged him.

Dave Youell
08-11-2009, 08:27 AM
If Jeff leaves, Morrison is going to have to step up to the plate and become that guy anyway. He will be the top face on the brand, there's no one else (aside from Taker, but he's a different case) that is at the needed level.

Now onto Morrison.

I still don't get it, honestly, I have never seen him as a top guy. I've said before that Starship pain is a shit finish as there's no impact with the move, the moonlight drive was much better IMO. His promo's seem forced and un natural. His music and entrance are still the same as when he was a heel. If someone just turned on Smackdown for the first time in a few months, you wouldn't know he was a face. I know it's all about subtle differences, but this is too subtle IMO.

He could be fucking fantastic, please don't get me wrong, he has all the tools, but some of the moves he does are just stupid, that wheelbarrow leg drop makes no sense, there's no reason for him to add in some flips, it doesn't make the move look any better, he's got a few others as well.

I know he's been having some good matches (not great, good) recently, and I would like to see him make that step up to the main event, but he needs to change some things about him first before I fully buy it.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Dave it's your opinion that his matches have only been "good" but most seem to be of the opinion that they were phenomenal matches. There's nothing you can say to most that will prove he is not a great worker, and is on his way (at least on Smackdown) to some serious greatness. I mean you can tell how into him JR is every time he commentates his matches.

I respect your opinions but they are rather cynical, and considering some of the stuff you DO like, I don't understand the basis of it all.

redoneja
08-11-2009, 08:44 AM
If Jeff leaves, Morrison is going to have to step up to the plate and become that guy anyway. He will be the top face on the brand, there's no one else (aside from Taker, but he's a different case) that is at the needed level.

Now onto Morrison.

I still don't get it, honestly, I have never seen him as a top guy. I've said before that Starship pain is a shit finish as there's no impact with the move, the moonlight drive was much better IMO. His promo's seem forced and un natural. His music and entrance are still the same as when he was a heel. If someone just turned on Smackdown for the first time in a few months, you wouldn't know he was a face. I know it's all about subtle differences, but this is too subtle IMO.

He could be fucking fantastic, please don't get me wrong, he has all the tools, but some of the moves he does are just stupid, that wheelbarrow leg drop makes no sense, there's no reason for him to add in some flips, it doesn't make the move look any better, he's got a few others as well.

I know he's been having some good matches (not great, good) recently, and I would like to see him make that step up to the main event, but he needs to change some things about him first before I fully buy it.

First off, I think Mysterio would be up there with Taker as having 'top face' status with Morrison below them.

I feel where you're coming from. Especially with the Starship Pain finish. And while I've really enjoyed the matches he's had since coming to Smackdown, I think he's just one big feud away from breaking through and being seen as a legit main eventer. Sorta like the same situation Jeff Hardy was in 18-24 months ago, to how he is perceived now.

Mr. Nerfect
08-11-2009, 08:57 AM

Now onto Morrison.

I get where you are coming from, but as a trained wrestler yourself, I think you're views are kind of "smart" about Morrison. To the average fan, they can connect with a move like Starship Pain, because it just looks so fucking awesome. It's pure aestetics. I mean, Morrison could logically just hit a splash on the guy and probably get more height and scientifically it would be a more devasting finish, but the Starship Pain is something for fans to latch on to.

And they are. You might not see Morrison's character as being any different, but he has cut down on the arrogant promos (which I actually don't like), and when you watch his matches, his offense is fresh and exciting. The fans are taking to him quite well, and Jim Ross, who is probably the most respected commentator in the business, fellates him pretty much every week. Fans listen to that, they take notice, decide they do like his offense, and as such they get behind him and he'll eventually sell t-shirts.

So many guys add redundant shit to their offense. What exactly is the point behind the Five Knuckle Shuffle as opposed to a fist drop? Why exactly does Evan Bourne feel the need to rotate to hit a Shooting Star Press? Morrison's simple offense is effective (the Moonlight Drive, the knee to the face on the seated opponent, the Flying Chuck), but it's his fancy offense that really sets him apart.

The one thing I do not like about Starship Pain, is that sometimes the move doesn't hit exactly as it is meant to, and eventually I can see Morrison hurting someone with it, and then his entire moveset being neutured. That would suck. I think he should only bust it out on special occasions. Use the Moonlight Drive more often, and maybe even bring back the Nitro Blast (Superkick). It'd invite comparisons to Shawn Michaels, but that could work to their advantage with him -- especially if they ever do decide to do Shawn Michaels vs. John Morrison.

In a lot of Morrison's higher profile matches, Morrison has been cut-off while going for Starship Pain. He'll go for the move, and get crotched or something. He'll then either lose the match, or win it with a roll-up. I think that may be the WWE's way of protecting its top stars from the move. It's only the "expendible" talent that takes it.

Anybody Thrilla
08-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Watch John Morrison's match with Evan Bourne if you wanna see a fucking star.

Mr. Nerfect
08-11-2009, 10:41 AM
One thing (of the many) I liked about John Morrison's match with Evan Bourne, is the way Morrison carried himself. I'm not sure if Johnny Nitro knew what direction he'd take, but he had just been turned on by The Miz. Although he was still technically a heel -- and I believe he worked one more match as a heel against R-Truth on SmackDown! -- he still somewhat changed the way he carried himself. Morrison knew that he had a chip on his shoulder, and he played it perfectly by almost seeming to appreciate Bourne's existence in the ring with him.

Then he turned face with no real "turn" to connect the fans with him, and although it has taken some time, I believe that you could now call Morrison "popular." Turns for now apparent reason often greatly effect a guy's direction, but Hayes' booking of him, and Morrison's ability to wow in the ring have really managed to solidify him as a face character.

Morrison is one of those guys who I believe "gets it."

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Yeah he's just very, very good. There's obviously things to work on for him, I would not mind a new finisher... I think the starship pain would be a great signature move like Jericho's lionsault or Angle's moonsault, but he could use a more "bruising" finisher. Like the flying chuck and that fucking knee to the face look so brutal, it seems weird he finishes with such a flash move like the starship pain.

His in ring style reminds me of Shawn Michaels... I think he's more athletic than Michaels and obviously Michaels can tell a better story (as he should be able to) but it's more, Michaels and Morrison connect with the fans when they are in the ring. The fans react to their moves, that's how Michaels got over. It wasn't like Hogan or Warrior where he just spouted a bunch of charismatic shit on the mic... when he went in the ring the crowd was captivated by his matches, whether he was a heel or face, and that's what I see in Morrison.

Morrison is extremely technical but yet very exciting and the fans appreciate that. That's the problem with someone like Shelton Benjamin... even though he's pure dynamite in the ring and he's so fucking athletic, his matches just aren't captivating the same way Morrison's are.

lol so yeah... that's how I see the comparisons with Shawn Michaels come into play.

Mr. Nerfect
08-11-2009, 12:10 PM
John Morrison to win Money in the Bank and cash in at WrestleMania next year -- yay or nay?

Anybody Thrilla
08-11-2009, 12:22 PM
I just about to say...somebody said something about nothing for him to accomplish before a World title, but MitB would be a good fit for him, I feel.

Ol Dirty Dastard
08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Yeah he has that Money in the Bank feel to him.

Anybody Thrilla
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
So it's agreed upon. Mr. Money in the Bank 2010 will be John Morrison.

Whoops, should have posted spoiler tags.

Londoner
08-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Agreed, don't even care if he doesn't win it next year, just would be cool to see him in MITB.

The Jayman
08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
somehow I see Morrison doing something big at the royal rumble. either winning the world title or winning the rumble itself

Sixx
08-11-2009, 02:51 PM
His finisher looks pretty damn cool, but I agree - not really damaging.

The Jayman
08-11-2009, 04:08 PM
I actually liked the moonlight drive

Anybody Thrilla
08-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Morrison isn't winning the Rumble, by the way.

screech
08-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Moonlight Drive was a great finisher for him.

The Jayman
08-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Morrison isn't winning the Rumble, by the way.

A man can dream can't he???:'(

Anybody Thrilla
08-13-2009, 10:27 AM
A man can also stick a knife in his asshole, but I'd advise against it.

screech
08-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Speaking from experience, ABT?

Anybody Thrilla
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
The 90's were just a different time, man...

The Jayman
08-13-2009, 11:34 AM
thanks for your advice ABT. I will cherish it.

Anybody Thrilla
08-13-2009, 12:34 PM
I'm here for you, The Jayman.

Mr. Nerfect
08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Morrison would be well suited for an endurance run in the 2010 Rumble. Have him start off the match #1 or #2 (perhaps against The Miz), and let him last until after #30 has entered. That could get him over really well as a guy that can hang in there, and get people excited about whatever it is he does at WrestleMania.

Anybody Thrilla
08-13-2009, 12:48 PM
That's more feasible.