PDA

View Full Version : Any good SHMUPS I might have missed?

Kane Knight
08-15-2009, 04:59 PM
They can be casual or hardcore. Like, I've been playing a lot of the first Geometry Wars on XBLA lately. I love Geo Wars 2, as well. I have Ikaruga and a few other such games, and a couple DS shooters. Like, I have Nanostray (I sucked at it, but it never stopped me from playing the FUCK out of it) and am gonna order the second soon and so on.

I have all three current gen systems and a DS for handheld, so you can suggest Wii and PS3 games as well...They're not my primary consoles, but if there's anything for them, I will probably check those out.

I'm probably less prone to the hardcore end of the spectrum, but I'll likely check them out anyway. I'm just kind of on a shooter kick right now.

Funky Fly
08-16-2009, 12:08 AM
Raiden Fighters Aces for 360. It's $20 here, so it's probably $15 for you. It's the first 3 Raiden Fighters games on 1 disc. Nothing special, but it's fun. Top down games, horrendous music. Oh, and Raiden Fighters 4 is coming out next year.

I guess there is also that King of Fighters shmup coming soon.

Try Omega 5 in the Live Arcade. Side scrolling. Weird ass game, but fun.

Also, R-Type in the Live Arcade. Avoid Aces of the Galaxy, tho. It's an on rails Star Fox type game, but it's kinda meh at best.

I really suck at these tyes of games, but I love them.

Fignuts
08-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Most of the ones on the neo-geo virtual console are good.

One of them is called thundersomething or other, and is really good.

HankScorpio
08-16-2009, 11:43 AM
try Blast Factor or SuperStardust HD on PSN, both are a lot like Geo-Wars (only prettier)

Kane Knight
08-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Raiden Fighters Aces for 360. It's $20 here, so it's probably $15 for you. It's the first 3 Raiden Fighters games on 1 disc. Nothing special, but it's fun. Top down games, horrendous music. Oh, and Raiden Fighters 4 is coming out next year.

I guess there is also that King of Fighters shmup coming soon.

Try Omega 5 in the Live Arcade. Side scrolling. Weird ass game, but fun.

Also, R-Type in the Live Arcade. Avoid Aces of the Galaxy, tho. It's an on rails Star Fox type game, but it's kinda meh at best.

I really suck at these tyes of games, but I love them.

I tried Aces of the Galaxy and deleted it fast. R-Type is good, but I'm not paying fifteen bucks for it.

Is Omega 5 the one with the big mechs? First level is like an arctic scenario? I couldn't decide if I wanted that or not, because the demo is so damn short. Is it good?

Also, thanks for reminding me about Raiden Fighters Aces, you magnificent bastard. I saw that announced way back when, then forgot aboot it.

Fignuts: I'll look for the thundersomething.

HS: Merci. I'd never heard of those.