PDA

View Full Version : So it appears that WWE is drawing in more female fans

DAMN iNATOR
08-21-2009, 01:24 AM
The following is from an article on the Main Page:

According to an article by The New York Post (NYPost.com), WWE has begun to attract an increasingly female audience. The article states that college-aged female viewers were up 34%, 25-34 year old viewers were up 13.7% and they are up 23% with women over 50 years old. The article also says that “lust” is a determining factor, because “These guys all look like body-builders instead of just big guys.” WWE is also planning an apparel line, new toy lines and other branded products targeted at females to take advantage of this new trend in viewing. The article also mentions that the new “softer WWE PG rating” has helped attract new sponsors like 7-Eleven and Pepsi Max to the company. WWE COO Donna Goldsmith had the following comments… “When we were a little more edgy, we lost a lot of women. They weren’t as comfortable watching with their kids. But now that we are more family-friendly, it’s a perfect reason for them to come back.”

Kind of surprising, but I guess like it says, when you factor in the TV PG-13 or whatever brand of action WWE is using these days, I could see how that would have more appeal to the ladies, as it means the divas segments are percieved as not so much just using the ladies as eye-candy with next to nothing on in their matches, and thus "objectifying women" or whatever...plus it seems, according to the articles, that the ladies seem to enjoy the fact that the guys are all mostly muscly and not giant blobs as much as in the past, which is perfectly understandable.

St. Jimmy
08-21-2009, 04:29 AM
http://fireloupiniella.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/fat-chick.jpg
Clearly a Helms fan.

Londoner
08-21-2009, 04:31 AM
Meanwhile, I bet they've lost a lot of fans that helped make them big back in the 'good old days'.

Droford
08-21-2009, 05:28 AM
Clearly its time for WWE Films to make a romantic comedy.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5273/samnlh.jpg

Skippord
08-21-2009, 07:13 AM
I'd watch it

kareru
08-21-2009, 11:46 AM
I'd watch it

only if its rated 18 though, and we get to see some tittays

BDR
08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
WWE: Now you can watch it with your Grandma. (Unless you're a member of the 18-35 year old male demographic which we have almost COMPLETELY ALIENATED!!!!!!)

BigDaddyCool
08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
WWE: Now you can watch it with your Grandma. (Unless you're a member of the 18-35 year old male demographic which we have almost COMPLETELY ALIENATED!!!!!!)

My great grandma watched a lot of wrestling. She like Gorgeous George.

kareru
08-21-2009, 12:08 PM

AKA the fans that got them this far in the first place
AKA the people who without would have lost in the ratings war and would be out of business

kareru
08-21-2009, 12:11 PM
My great grandma watched a lot of wrestling. She like Gorgeous George.

really?

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5913/stephaniebellars0069jj5.jpg

your granny is a cool dame

BigDaddyCool
08-21-2009, 12:13 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zz6DgE176UI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zz6DgE176UI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

No, that one.

kareru
08-21-2009, 12:15 PM
No, that one.

its the same person

BigDaddyCool
08-21-2009, 12:17 PM
God, I hate newbs.

kareru
08-21-2009, 12:19 PM
God, I hate newbs.

im no noob

BigDaddyCool
08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes you are.

kareru
08-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Yes you are.

am not

BigDaddyCool
08-21-2009, 12:27 PM
You joined this year and have less than a 1000 posts, which makes you a newb in my eyes. Plus you are dumb. You don't know who Gorgeous George is. You think WWE needs Kendrick. And you jerk it to anime, you are a dumb newb.

kareru
08-21-2009, 12:29 PM
You joined this year and have less than a 1000 posts, which makes you a newb in my eyes. Plus you are dumb. You don't know who Gorgeous George is. You think WWE needs Kendrick. And you jerk it to anime, you are a dumb newb.

but i have been comming to tpww for over 10 years

and that Gorgeous George thing is what we call 'a joke'

BigDaddyCool
08-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Lurking doesn't count newb.

kareru
08-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Lurking doesn't count newb.

does

owenbrown
08-21-2009, 12:43 PM
why the fuck should I believe anything Ryan Clark say? :wtf: :shifty:

owenbrown
08-21-2009, 12:43 PM
*also agrees with BDC*

DAMN iNATOR
08-22-2009, 06:32 AM
hot BDC/nOOb CRIPPLE FIGHT right now...

Theo Dious
08-22-2009, 11:30 AM
AKA the fans that got them this far in the first place
AKA the people who without would have lost in the ratings war and would be out of business

AKA The people who do nothing but bitch, whine, and complain about the product, and no longer supply them with the kind of revenue that they used to?

kareru
08-22-2009, 01:12 PM
AKA The people who do nothing but bitch, whine, and complain about the product, and no longer supply them with the kind of revenue that they used to?

and why?

see 7th post

Theo Dious
08-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Yeah, and the fact is that catering to that demographic is providing results. Why should they worry about pleasing the unpleasable demographic when they can find new ones to provide profit with less work?

The operant question here: Why is WWE in business?

Wrong answer: To provide quality wrestling, well thought-out storylines, endearing characters, and memorable moments.

Correct answer: To make money.

And whether you or I like it or not, they're always going to go with what makes them the most profit. If catering to grandma and college chicks is what provides the biggest revenue increases with the smallest amount of work, they're going to do that. It's going to be much easier than trying to please the crowd that hasn't been consistently pleased with anything since 2001. We can bitch about wanting "real wrestling" all we want, but from WWE's profit perspective, what has "real wrestling" gotten them? Two dead vanilla midgets complete with tons of bad global publicity, a hotshot-turned-MMA fighter with a penis tattoo, and a mentally unstable Olympian ship-jumper. So what are they going to do, A) keep sticking their hand on that hot fire, or B) parade some hot bodies in front of the growing female demographic? If you said A, you're a moron, and if you said B, you're still a moron, but you happened to pick the right answer. Broken clocks and all.

And for fuck's sake, quit wanking your crank about how the fans they don't want to market to anymore are the ones that made them. We paid our money, they provided product. Unless you happen to be a shareholder, WWE owes you nothing. And if you are a shareholder, take it up at the next meeting.