PDA

View Full Version : RAW show from Monterrey, Mexica

PureHatred
04-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Just thought it's be interest ing to read the reactions and the way Triple H performed. Good Stuff. I personally, have cousins in Baja who are huge Jericho marks.

Credit to Steve'swrestling.com:

Thanks to Cesar Cadena for the following report:

Coming back from a very HOT Raw house show in Arena Monterrey. The crowd was quite alive the whole night and performances were excellent. Except for the luxury boxes which are not owned by the Arena, the rest of it was very much full. Here is what happened.

Agents at Ringside: Dave Hebner and Fit Finlay. Announcer: Howard Finkel.

"Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns 'n Roses started playing at 7:58 PM and Howard Finkel thanked the crowd and would give the copyright disclaimers for WWE. Finkel kept announcing both in English and in a pretty good Spanish all night.

The first match was The Hurricane or "El Huracan" as Finkel called him vs. Val Venis. BIG POP for Hurricane and a decent reaction to Val Venis. Venis cut his towel promo in Spanish, which got a pop. Excellent opening match with Venis turning heel for it. Both bumped like crazy with Hurricane getting the pin after a kick to the back of the head.

The Diva's match was next with Victoria and Lita against Molly and Jazz. Good women's match. Typical women's match with Lita and Jazz doing most of the wrestling. Match ended after Lita took the wig off of Molly and pinned her with a quite spectacular DDT. Molly's wig now has an elastic like the one Kurt Angle used in his wig to hold it in its place which makes it more noticeable. She is a true pro and for her increasing fan base, she has grown some hair back and appears to be a natural blonde. By the way, she really sold the DDT for like 5-6 minutes. Good stuff.

The next match saw Kane vs. Tajiri. Kane got a HUGE face pop. Tajiri got pretty much no reaction but won over the crowd. BIG Kane chants throughout the match to the point that he seemed truly confused. He sort of played tweener for the rest of the night. Tajiri bumped and kicked to no avail and after big "Chokeslam" chants, Kane gave Tajiri one. Big pop so Kane was left with no heel choice but to leave fast. Tajiri stayed in the ring until he was helped by a referee but kept falling down until the crowd started clapping for him.

Special Smackdown Cruiserweight Title match: Chavo Guerrero Jr. (from El Paso, TX) vs. Rey Mysterio JUNIOR (yep, he was called Jr.) from Tijuana, Baja California Mexico. With WWE playing pop geography again, big pop for Rey who came out in Red White and Green and the Mexican Flag. Big heel heat for Chavo and a fantastic promo by Chavo Sr. who insulted the crowd by saying that they were unable to distinguish true talent. Lots of "Culero" and "Joto" Chants (a***hole and ... testosterone impaired I guess you could say). Both wrestlers turned the match to a lucha match with lots of aerial maneuvers and high spots. Chavo Sr. kept the crowd alive throughout the match. In one funny spot Chavo got tangled in the ropes so Rey pulled the tights down and spanked him with Chavo crying like a baby. Many false finishes and when Rey was going for the 619, Chavo Sr. grabbed the leg which distracted Rey and allowed Chavo to score his finisher for the win(he doesn't use the frog splash anymore so I don't know the new name). Before both Guerreros beat on Mysterio out came Hurricane to help Rey and with his help Mysterio gave both heels a 619 simultaneously. Rey thanked the crowd in Spanish and put over how proud he was and Hurricane gave an "Arriba Monterrey". In the strangest twist of the night out came Garrison Cade and threw both Rey and Hurricane out of the ring. Cade cut a heel promo on how Rey Mysterio was a disgrace to Mexico and he was there to prove what a true wrestler could do.

Here comes Rhyno storming the ring. GORE and in less than a minute the match is over. Rhyno does the four corner salute and leaves. No comments.

Out comes Eric Bischoff to big heat from the crowd. He puts himself over for the cruiserweight title match and for having Chris Benoit as Champion. He said something regarding how he always believed in Benoit and that someday down the line he was going to give Benoit a shot at the title. Bischoff asked if he knew what the crowd really wanted and he gave Bischoff a Crippler crossface. Out came Val Venis and Kane for the save. Venis arrived first and got a snap suplex. Benoit exited the ring staring at Kane. Bischoff kept pushing Kane in the back for not coming out earlier and Kane gave Bischoff a Chokeslam to a big pop. Bischoff was carried out of the ring by the ramp to the "NANANANA NANANANA HE HEY HEY GOODBYE" chants.

For the next match, Chris Jericho defeated Christian with Trish Stratus. Big pop for Jericho who cut a promo on how Christian was a culero and Trish was a puta. Big "culero" and "puta" chants from the crowd. Many signs acknowledging Jericho from his Lionheart days. The match was fantastic with both bumping big time. Jericho won with the Walls of Jericho and afterwards gave Trish a spanking for interfering during the match. Afterwards, Jericho thanked the fans in Spanish for the 4 months he lived in Monterrey 10 years ago and what a great time that was for him. Classy stuff. Jericho went WAY OUT OF HIS WAY to greet the fans. By the way, Trish is the hottest Diva in the roster.

Howard Finkel announced a 10 minute intermission so we could go buy WWE promotional stuff. It would be fair to say that a LOT of merchandise was sold with stands pretty full all night.

After the intermission we got a surprise match, (I guess) with Antifaz vs Damian 666. It was sort of a short match with one nice high spot from Antifaz and a very dangerous sort of vertebraker by Damian on his shoulder. Antifaz won by pinfall.

For the Tag Titles Evolution defeated HBK and Shelton Benjamin. Flair came out in front of Batista and had to acknowledge the many people with the WOOOOOO chants. He had to do it again several times during the match as the crowd kept popping him. Out came Shelton Benjamin that looks a lot like a Soccer player here in Monterrey. The player is a Brazilian called Kleber (said Klehbehr). People kept chanting Kleber to him to which the wrestlers were pretty clueless. They'll understand when they read this using the accounts they don't have at PWInsider.com. Out came HBK to a great pop. Big HBK Chants (in English) and he seemed truly surprised and happy. He acknowledged the crowd and seemed to enjoy the match. The match was pretty good with HBK and Flair doing most of the wrestling. Flair also got to wrestle part of the match with his trunks down showing his buttocks, which seems inappropriate for him at this point but the crowd popped like crazy. Match ended with Batista hitting Benjamin with the belts and putting Flair on top for the pin.

The next match was Matt Hardy v1 vs. A-Train. A-Train attacked Hardy when coming to the ring. He was distracted by the referee to be pinned by Matt who was holding to his trunks. Less than a minute. At least Matt Hardy is back on the winning track.

The main event saw Chris Benoit against Triple H. Can anybody tell me what happened to Triple H? He is smaller, is bumping like a twenty year old out of OVW and he is interacting quite a lot from the crowd. He came out to quite a pop so he had to annoy the crowd for a while until they turned against him. Actually, a 150 pound guy took his shirt off and challenged him and was immediately ejected. They delayed the start of the match until everyone was behind Benoit. Every time HHH had control of the match, however, the crowd yelled "Pedigree". After being hit in the head on the steps, HHH did a blade job and bled quite a lot (needless to remind everyone in a house show) Match ended when Batista came out and gave the belt to HHH who lost it; Benoit hit Batista with it and before HHH tried the pedigree, he gave him a crossface for the win. HHH left assisted by Batista to a pop actually. Benoit posed for the crowd and afterwards Howard Finkel thanked everyone and told us that we were the best crowd WWE has seen abroad (Fantasticos, we were called).

Show was 3:30 including 10 minute intermission.

I can't say enough for the effort by the wrestlers. They went out of their way to entertain the crowd and you could tell everybody was very satisfied with the show. Hopefully, we get to see another show pretty soon. I do have to say that I had only seen Smackdown shows before (TV and House) and those are definitely minor league in comparison.

And that was the show. I'll send the press reactions tomorrow.

The Ravishing One
04-04-2004, 07:39 PM
:y:

cool sounds like a great night

jasonvoorhees
04-04-2004, 07:42 PM
I was looking for the results and i couldn't found them, Thanks for posting the results it looked like a good show, thanks again.

El Santo
04-06-2004, 03:26 AM
This sounded like a really great show. I suppose when Glenn Jacobs retires, he could run for Mayor of Monterrey. Weirder things have happened ... stateside especially.