PDA

View Full Version : John Morrison vs Rey Mysterio (Smackdown spoilers!)

4 knuckles up
09-04-2009, 11:07 PM
What a great match these two had! I could talk about the false finishes, spots, and great comentary by JR in putting the belt over- But I'll let the match speak for itself. As long as youtube allows, of course. :wave:

PART 1:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HA6fWoXIh-k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HA6fWoXIh-k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

PART 2:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-VFQJ4fUu0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D-VFQJ4fUu0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Enjoy. I know we have a nice youtube links topic thing, but this is a great match that needs to be seen.

XCaliber
09-04-2009, 11:09 PM
My only gripe for that match was the ref's slow counts.

J Dogg Funk
09-04-2009, 11:52 PM
I so wish Smackdown was live. It's probably the best show they are running, but the fact that it is taped and Directv does not show it in High Def in Miami, totally sucks.

Mr. Nerfect
09-05-2009, 03:55 AM
This is a bit of a credibility boost for Morrison, as well. He's been IC Champion before, but he defeated Rey Mysterio cleanly, and pretty much took the best Mysterio had to offer and came out on top. If I were a mark, right now, I'd consider John Morrison to be "better" than Rey Mysterio, who I would consider one of the best.

dronepool
09-05-2009, 04:01 AM
Thanks, I missed this due to me coming home from work at 9:30. Gonna pack a bowl and watch this.

NoRoolz
09-05-2009, 06:58 AM
Brilliant match. If Smackdown ever gets a anniversary DVD, it'll be on it. (Isn't this Smackdown's tenth year btw?)

Afterlife
09-05-2009, 08:01 AM
That match was simply amazing. It kind of points out the irony in the SD GM being the guy "on probation".

Wolfpack423
09-05-2009, 11:30 AM
This should have been the main event. Punk-Matt Hardy was not good in my opinion. Maybe it was just me, but it felt slow. Morrison vs. Rey was amazing, definitely a match of the year candidate without a doubt. These two had both of them being cheered and that rarely happens anymore. The only thing that bothers me is we don't have Mysterio for 30 days, he has been awesome this year, since Armageddon 2008-he has had some amazing PPV and Smackdown matches. WM25 was only 23 seconds but that was still good. And I also forgot that Morrison and Rey were 1 and 2 in the Rumble this year. That was a good way to start.

Afterlife
09-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Matt/Punk was fine.

Verbose Minch
09-05-2009, 12:14 PM
This should have been the main event. Punk-Matt Hardy was not good in my opinion. Maybe it was just me, but it felt slow. Morrison vs. Rey was amazing, definitely a match of the year candidate without a doubt. These two had both of them being cheered and that rarely happens anymore. The only thing that bothers me is we don't have Mysterio for 30 days, he has been awesome this year, since Armageddon 2008-he has had some amazing PPV and Smackdown matches. WM25 was only 23 seconds but that was still good. And I also forgot that Morrison and Rey were 1 and 2 in the Rumble this year. That was a good way to start.

Matt's working with an injury, an injury that involved his intestines exploding. The match was decent for what it was.

Rammsteinmad
09-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Wow. Brilliant match!

It's a shame Rey will be gone for 30 days now, as he has definitely been one of the most consistent guys in the WWE this year. His feuds with Jericho, Ziggler, and his match with Morrison have all been absolute classics!

On the bright side, it gives him 30 days to go home and relax, spend time with his family and rehab his injuries, and then come back refreshed and ready to go again.

Anybody Thrilla
09-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah, this was a great match, but I still prefer Morrison's match with Evan Bourne on ECW from the night after the draft. This was definitely a higher profile match, but still only Morrison's second best match this year. :y:

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Morrison has stole the show numerous times this year. Matches with Ziggler, Edge, 3 with Punk, Jericho, Bourne, Hardy and now Misterio. The guys has money written all over him. Hopefully he gets a little more mic time so he can develop even more.

I actually love the way he hit Starship Pain on Misterio even though he didn't Quite complete the rotation, it actually looked more devestating, like his side smacked into Misterio's gut.

It's hard to figure out what my favourite spot in the match was... I'd have to say the flying chuck only because that is my fave move in all of wrestling.

Triple Naitch
09-05-2009, 09:48 PM
Absolutely amazing match.

Can't believe how Morrison landed the first Starship Pain attempt on his feet. Shows how much of an athlete he is.

Mr. Nerfect
09-06-2009, 12:44 AM
I knew that backflip land on the Starship Pain was coming in this match. He's done it before, and I love it. What I also love, is that when Morrison is working with main event talent, they usually have Starship Pain scouted. It sells how dangerous the move is considered by them, and it also plays off it being high risk, and dare I say, somewhat a crutch for Morrison to rely on. But then he finds a way to hit the move anyway, and it's a huge triumph.

Anybody Thrilla
09-06-2009, 11:19 AM
You mean like Hardy's Swanton?

Destor
09-06-2009, 12:10 PM
My only gripe for that match was the ref's slow counts.
Hey it's a smark ladies and gents. Thanks for comin out.

Pardeep 619
09-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Brilliant match. If Smackdown ever gets a anniversary DVD, it'll be on it. (Isn't this Smackdown's tenth year btw?)

There is a tenth anniversary 3 disc DVD that has been released.

Mr. Nerfect
09-07-2009, 12:22 AM
You mean like Hardy's Swanton?

Well, sorta. Jeff really stopped missing the move, and instead sets it up with the Twist of Fate and such. Morrison seems to hit Starship Pain a bit more out of nowhere, though. One of my favourites is when he rolled through Tyson Kidd's slingshot sunset flip and hit him with the knee to the face, and the hit SP.

Mr. Nerfect
09-07-2009, 12:23 AM
All I can say, is that I am looking forward to Rey Mysterio's return, and a rematch between John Morrison and Rey Mysterio over the title. I can see that being another televised classic which ends when Dolph Ziggler takes out both men, leading to a Triple Threat at Bragging Rights, or whatever. And in that match, Ziggler can pin Mysterio and win the IC Title without needing to de-rail Morrison's momentum much.

NoRoolz
09-07-2009, 11:44 AM
There is a tenth anniversary 3 disc DVD that has been released.

Ha, yeah like the same day I wrote that comment I saw on WWE.com they were advertising the 10 year anniversary of SD.

:y:

What Would Kevin Do?
09-07-2009, 02:11 PM
Depending what happens with Taker, I could see Punk vs Morrison as the Smackdown main event for WM this year.

Although I really want a Morrison/HBK feud down the road.

Afterlife
09-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Depending what happens with Taker, I could see Punk vs Morrison as the Smackdown main event for WM this year.

Although I really want a Morrison/HBK feud down the road.

I'd want HBK to be the heel.

thedamndest
09-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Lateral subject, but Taker/Rey could be good and I don't think they've ever had so much as a match.

Pardeep 619
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Lateral subject, but Taker/Rey could be good and I don't think they've ever had so much as a match.

They've had at least one singles match against each other. Seen it on youtube before

NoRoolz
09-07-2009, 08:38 PM
I'd want HBK to be the heel.

I'd love to see a heel HBK again, just as he was back in 97. However, I can't help but feel that with his complete different attitude these days he'd not be able to pull it off like he used to. He even seems kinda uncomfortable with stuff like crotch-chops.

Afterlife
09-07-2009, 11:59 PM
I'd love to see a heel HBK again, just as he was back in 97. However, I can't help but feel that with his complete different attitude these days he'd not be able to pull it off like he used to. He even seems kinda uncomfortable with stuff like crotch-chops.

All it would have to be is that he's not ready for Morrison to be the sexy, young Superstar that HBK used to be. A mid-life crisis, pretty much.

Mr. Nerfect
09-09-2009, 11:01 AM
All it would have to be is that he's not ready for Morrison to be the sexy, young Superstar that HBK used to be. A mid-life crisis, pretty much.

I think this would be rather entertaining after a face vs. face feud, where the fans would probably see HBK as the face, and Morrison as out of his league. Morrison beating HBK could get in his head, and kick off HBK's grumpy old man feelings.

What Would Kevin Do?
09-09-2009, 11:40 AM

I could foresee Shawn ending up on Smackdown, getting beat down, and Morrison coming out to save him. Shawn does the whole "I don't need help from some rookie, I'm the show stopper, etc."

Of course, it happens again.

Maybe they team up a time or two, and much to HBK's annoyance, Morrison picks up both wins.

This all leads to HBK boiling over and super kicking Morrison. HBK can go on tirades about how Morrison will never be him, etc, etc.

The problem is, even then, god knows if you can get the fans to boo HBK at this point.

Afterlife
09-09-2009, 02:59 PM
I could foresee Shawn ending up on Smackdown, getting beat down, and Morrison coming out to save him. Shawn does the whole "I don't need help from some rookie, I'm the show stopper, etc."

Of course, it happens again.

Maybe they team up a time or two, and much to HBK's annoyance, Morrison picks up both wins.

This all leads to HBK boiling over and super kicking Morrison. HBK can go on tirades about how Morrison will never be him, etc, etc.

The problem is, even then, god knows if you can get the fans to boo HBK at this point.

He doesn't have to be a mega-heel. Just a dick.

Kane86
09-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Man, I was grilling so I had on every TV in my house when I wasn't outside so I could continue watching it.

Afterlife
09-09-2009, 03:07 PM
To expand on your set-up, MOrrison helps HBK a few times because the local heels beat-down HBK to send the "this is our show" message. In fact, make it Jerishow that beats him down, because he doesn't have HHH there to bail him out. So Morrison runs out to help because he already doesn't like Jericho.

The next week, HBK and Morrison are teamed up to face Jerishow. Before the match, Morrison is pumped to kick some ass, but HBK tells him that he doesn't need any help to face them in a fair fight, and that Morrison had better be careful out there.

To end what would be an amazing match, Morrison tackles Big Show out of the ring and HBK hits the SWM on Jericho, 1, 2, 3. In the ring, Morrison raises HBK's hand, pointing to him as the victor, and as the crowd cheers, HBK turns and kicks him in the mouth.

Next week, HBK says that he showed Jerishow that any show HBK is on is HBK's show. And that he doesn't need any help to keep it that way. He doesn't need HHH and he sure as shit doesn't need John Morrison. And if the fans don't like it? Well, he's HBK; he doesn't need them, either.

Doesn't have to be too elaborate to work, and he doesn't need Vicki heat. Just a story about him not wanting to feel irrelevant before his time.

Sixx
09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
What's SWM?

Afterlife
09-09-2009, 11:52 PM
What's SWM?

SCM typo.

Boondock Saint
09-10-2009, 02:31 AM
Looks like the IC title match is off the Breaking Point card